Rank Order List timeline question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisIsTheWhey

Reaction score
Silly question but - is there any benefit of adding programs to your rank list on NRMP early? (not certifying it but just making the rank list)

The rank list opened on February 1st and I have not make the list on NRMP yet. Just want to double check if I am missing any details.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Silly question but - is there any benefit of adding programs to your rank list on NRMP early? (not certifying it but just making the rank list)

The rank list opened on February 1st and I have not make the list on NRMP yet. Just want to double check if I am missing any details.

Thanks!
No. The date you enter your programs onto the NRMP rank list where it's Feb 1 2021 or March 2 2021 has no influence on the match/your chances. That said, it only takes a few minutes to fill it out though so I would go ahead and do it now to ensure you are:

1. Registered for the NRMP 2021 Match (Basically paid the the $80 or now $135 given the late fee).
2. Verified via your medical school. (this is mainly for non-US grads, US schools will verify everyone all at once).
3. Able to list all the programs you intend to match. Make sure you have the exact NRMP code for the program you are trying to match and make sure to include tracks as a match. I would definitely do all this with at least a business day to spare in the event you run into a glitch and need to call tech support.

When I did it, I actually officially certified way ahead of time (early Feb). It gave me the assurance that I was done unless I wanted to change things. You get an email and all and it's official. If you have to change your order, you can always edit your list by re-entering your password, changing things, and recertifying.

Reactions: 1 user
No. The date you enter your programs onto the NRMP rank list where it's Feb 1 2021 or March 2 2021 has no influence on the match/your chances. That said, it only takes a few minutes to fill it out though so I would go ahead and do it now to ensure you are:

1. Registered for the NRMP 2021 Match (Basically paid the the $80 or now $135 given the late fee).
2. Verified via your medical school. (this is mainly for non-US grads, US schools will verify everyone all at once).
3. Able to list all the programs you intend to match. Make sure you have the exact NRMP code for the program you are trying to match and make sure to include tracks as a match. I would definitely do all this with at least a business day to spare in the event you run into a glitch and need to call tech support.

When I did it, I actually officially certified way ahead of time (early Feb). It gave me the assurance that I was done unless I wanted to change things. You get an email and all and it's official. If you have to change your order, you can always edit your list by re-entering your password, changing things, and recertifying.
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
***Unrelated question regarding ROL but didn't want to make a separate thread (feel like I've started too many).

I've been finalizing my list over the past few days. One program I applied to invited me for a brief phone interview without a virtual component months ago. I never head back from them after the phone call. Apparently this program interviews in two phases (phone call and zoom) and I assume they only rank candidates who get invited to complete both portions. Is it even worth ranking this program at the very bottom of my list? No other program I interviewed with had a phone pre-screening or anything like that so it leaves me a little confused.

I was surprised to find out the first time I logged into NRMP that you can rank any program in any speciality regardless of whether you even applied to or interviewed at them. For some reason I thought the system would "know" what programs interviewed you and then give only permit you to rank those.

***Unrelated question regarding ROL but didn't want to make a separate thread (feel like I've started too many).

I've been finalizing my list over the past few days. One program I applied to invited me for a brief phone interview without a virtual component months ago. I never head back from them after the phone call. Apparently this program interviews in two phases (phone call and zoom) and I assume they only rank candidates who get invited to complete both portions. Is it even worth ranking this program at the very bottom of my list? No other program I interviewed with had a phone pre-screening or anything like that so it leaves me a little confused.

I was surprised to find out the first time I logged into NRMP that you can rank any program in any speciality regardless of whether you even applied to or interviewed at them. For some reason I thought the system would "know" what programs interviewed you and then give only permit you to rank those.

Rank it where it should be among your programs:

1.) It doesn't exceed the 15 slots you have or if it does, you don't minding paying the fee.
2.) You'd rather go there than SOAP.