rank Texas Tech - El Paso vs. UTRGV (TMDSAS)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la flame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
School TTU- El Paso

Pros

• More established program
  • True P/F (less stress?)
  • During my interview day, the student panel members all seemed super chill & the vibe was great
  • Bigger class size (easier to make friends?)
  • More outdoorsy, closer to mountains, better hiking trails, etc.

Cons

• 9+ hour drive to anywhere else in Texas (I honestly wouldn't mind the expenses of flying & I have the funds for it)
  • Isolated area that I have never visited; due to covid, I never personally got to interview in person. I hear mixed reviews people different people about the city.
  • Away from family; I was born & raised in the RGV (went to college upstate).........I am still unsure if this is a serious con or not. I greatly value my family but I definately want to be my own person.

School UTRGV
Pros

• Closer to home since my family lives here
  • Have to opportunity to save money with living my parents ( could be a con lmfao)
  • Cheap apartment living if I decide to move solo

Cons

• I have always told myself since I was a kid that I wanted to leave the "RGV". I went to college up north as soon as I graduated highschool. I returned to the valley last year due to covid related reasons and I just feel unhappy here. Maybe med school will change things for me..... For those of you not from Texas, the "RGV (valley)" is a secluded region in South Texas and the closets big city in San Antonio which is 4 hours away.
  • Have to be at the same university as my ex-gf of three years who broke up with me 2 weeks ago (shes in grad school there)
  • Small school (I believe 50 people?)

Summary: As you can see, my choices pretty much are about a place where I will have a better chance to genuinely enjoy/build solid relationships. I'm interested in IM or EM so nothing too competitive and I really don't care much about research. I feel like the more I type on this thread, the answer seems obvious but SDN usually has great advice. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who has heavily debated where to rank Tech El Paso, I think you should go with your gut. If staying in RGV (and with your parents) would make you unhappy especially throughout 4 years, look at your other options. While 9+ hours is significantly farther than your local med school is, you mentioned you have the funds to fly so hopefully that eases your worries about distance. I don’t know much about rgv’s school, but El Paso seems like a great city with a great med school ! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like you prefer Foster. So do I! I think it's a fantastic school, is much better established, and that this is where you'd be happier.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if it's too late for my input but I'm originally from the Valley and ultimately had the decision of choosing between staying there or leaving to El Paso for medical school. I chose to leave, and am now graduating from Foster. If you'd like my perspective on things, feel free to PM me. I would have liked having more information/opinions when I was in your shoes making that decision. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users