Rank the Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you rank the dental schools in terms of your experience with research, interviews and SDN?
These are mine:

1. Harvard
2. UCONN
3. Columbia
4. UCLA
5. UOP

Members don't see this ad.

uclaguy said:
What do you rank the dental schools in terms of your experience with research, interviews and SDN?
These are mine:

1. Harvard
2. UCONN
3. Columbia
4. UCLA
5. UOP
This is ridiculous!

uclaguy said:
These are mine:

1. Harvard
2. UCONN
3. Columbia
4. UCLA
5. UOP
u must know a great deal about each of them...how about sharing it with us please :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ranked #1 --> school that accepts you

uclaguy said:
These are mine:

1. Harvard
2. UCONN
3. Columbia
4. UCLA
5. UOP

Hey, I like this list. I like it a lot! :)

psiyung said:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Let's rig the question: one is automatically accepted by one's top choice because "top choice" is defined as "any school that accepts me." Isn't circular logic wonderful? Thank you for stating it, Psiyung - that is my philosophy in life! (well, I tried for 'hakuna matata,' but didn't quite make it. Too much of a worry maniac :) )

uclaguy said:

What exactly does this mean? Do you mean the best research experience? Do you mean the best schools based on our research, interviews, and SDN?

i think harvard should be ranked #54 b/c from what i hear that their clinics are not worth a cent and if you don't have good clinics then what kind of dentist are you producing? i know research is good and all but seriously all dentists will be working with their hands later on, not with chemicals

harvard? it's all about the name. dont matter what kind of education you get. you go out into the world and tell people you graduated from harvard, that gives you upper hand right off the bat.

psiyung said:
Rank #1 - the school that fulfills all (or close to) your preferences (clinical program, location, cost of tuition, etc.).

Mo007 said:
Rank #1 - the school that fulfills all (or close to) your preferences (clinical program, location, cost of tuition, etc.).

what if your preferances are just to be accepted? :D

and btw, does it really matter from which dental school one has one's degree, in terms of forming practices? i have a sneaking suspicion that no one really looks at those beautifully framed dimplomas (well, except for obsessive dentist-wannbes. my dentist graduated from nyu) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask a dentist how many times a patient has asked them where they went to school. Then ask which school is best. The truth is they are all the same. Sure each school is ranked based on NBDE score, but in the end if everyone passes, does it really matter, because when you pass you are a licensed dentist. Period. You can say what you want about Harvard, UCONN, UCLA, UOP, Canadien schools.......but the truth is it doesnt friggin matter. Besides as somebody else pointed out I hear that Harvard Dental grads come out needing a GPR because clinicals arent stressed as much (whereas research is stressed) as they are at other schools and their facilities are lousy. Whats more important, learning to become a dentist (ie good balance of academics and clinic) or purely standing on reputation for academics??? Yes it is harder to get into Harvard than most schools, but 4 years later does anyone really care what you got on your DAT (to gain admission), where you went to school, or how you became a licensed practitioner??? In the end do people care that you are a good/caring dentist who knows how to get them out of pain or that you went to a fine academic institution???

Law and Medical Schools have rankings.....dental schools do not. Reputation of affiliated undergraduate institution does not apply. Great example here in Illinois, if you tell someone from IL that you applied to Southern Illinois University dental school they will look at you like you are crazy, but thats because of its "reputation" of the undergrad program as a "party school". The dental school ranks consistently in the Top 10 in NBDE part I and II...not many people outside of those applying to dental school know that.

Ok I am done. Just had to get that off my chest. Please make sure you do some research on dental school rankings before coming out and saying something about how Harvard's reputation makes it a "great dental school" (which I am sure it is).

rocknightmare said:
if it was medical school or law school :)

if A=B, and B=C, then A=C... sometimes you guys surprise me, duh!

:sleep:
Bullfan16 said:
Ask a dentist how many times a patient has asked them where they went to school. Then ask which school is best. The truth is they are all the same. Sure each school is ranked based on NBDE score, but in the end if everyone passes, does it really matter, because when you pass you are a licensed dentist. Period. You can say what you want about Harvard, UCONN, UCLA, UOP, Canadien schools.......but the truth is it doesnt friggin matter. Besides as somebody else pointed out I hear that Harvard Dental grads come out needing a GPR because clinicals arent stressed as much (whereas research is stressed) as they are at other schools and their facilities are lousy. Whats more important, learning to become a dentist (ie good balance of academics and clinic) or purely standing on reputation for academics??? Yes it is harder to get into Harvard than most schools, but 4 years later does anyone really care what you got on your DAT (to gain admission), where you went to school, or how you became a licensed practitioner??? In the end do people care that you are a good/caring dentist who knows how to get them out of pain or that you went to a fine academic institution???

Law and Medical Schools have rankings.....dental schools do not. Reputation of affiliated undergraduate institution does not apply. Great example here in Illinois, if you tell someone from IL that you applied to Southern Illinois University dental school they will look at you like you are crazy, but thats because of its "reputation" of the undergrad program as a "party school". The dental school ranks consistently in the Top 10 in NBDE part I and II...not many people outside of those applying to dental school know that.

Ok I am done. Just had to get that off my chest. Please make sure you do some research on dental school rankings before coming out and saying something about how Harvard's reputation makes it a "great dental school" (which I am sure it is).
:sleep: oh, yeah thanks

Sure thing slugger...let me know if you need anything else...

Mo007 said:

Presto! The perfect answer! Don't be fooled into thinking that the name of the granting institution, which will be engraved on your degree, will have any bearing on your future success.

I just want to get in.. even if it was to the crap's school of dentistry :)

i know there arent rankings on the best schools.. but which are the hardest to get into , not counting residency status

ranark said:
I just want to get in.. even if it was to the crap's school of dentistry :)

i know there arent rankings on the best schools.. but which are the hardest to get into , not counting residency status

Getting rid of the residency aspect eliminates a lot of the state schools because it is so intertwined with their admissions process.

I would have to list UCLA, UOP, Harvard, and UW as being competitive.

Just to throw out a little reminder: There is a reason that the ADA doesn't want the schools "ranked" anymore, I believe from US News & World Report. There are too many variables and differences in each school to make it worthwhile in ranking. Quit wasting our time.

Hypothetically speaking, pretend you're an average Joe and you're looking for a dentist. You see an ad in the newspaper that says Jimbo Smith, D.M.D. Blah Blah Blah, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Blah Blah Blah...

The average Joe doesn't know that Harvard's dental school has old facilities. The average Joe doesn't know that Harvard stresses research over clinics. The average Joe thinks of Harvard as a top notch school and probably perceives that top notch dentists come from this top notch school. If you want to attract patients, the foundation of a successful practice, Harvard can most definitely work to your advantage.

Is Harvard the best dental school out there? Maybe for someone. We all are different and thank God we have 50+ schools to select from that will give us the best dental education, in our own opinion. Is that impossible to accept?

To address another point that Bullfan subtly mentioned:

Why do people look down on a year of residency? Why is that considered such a negative? I humbly believe no matter where I go I will do a year of residency because there is no way in hell I'll know everything I need to know to work independently after 2 years of clinics. My dentist said he wouldn't be surprised if a year of residency for GP was a requirement by the time I graduated for incoming classes. Will that happen? I don't know. .That was his opinion and he knows he's not God.

psiyung said:
WRONG.

I've been over this before.

ranked #1 --> school that accepts ME!
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

ranked #2 --> school that accepts JavadiCavity.
ranked #3 --> school that accepts Quakinator.

drat said:
Hypothetically speaking, pretend you're an average Joe and you're looking for a dentist. You see an ad in the newspaper that says Jimbo Smith, D.M.D. Blah Blah Blah, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Blah Blah Blah...

The average Joe doesn't know that Harvard's dental school has old facilities. The average Joe doesn't know that Harvard stresses research over clinics. The average Joe thinks of Harvard as a top notch school and probably perceives that top notch dentists come from this top notch school. If you want to attract patients, the foundation of a successful practice, Harvard can most definitely work to your advantage.

Is Harvard the best dental school out there? Maybe for someone. We all are different and thank God we have 50+ schools to select from that will give us the best dental education, in our own opinion. Is that impossible to accept?

To address another point that Bullfan subtly mentioned:

Why do people look down on a year of residency? Why is that considered such a negative? I humbly believe no matter where I go I will do a year of residency because there is no way in hell I'll know everything I need to know to work independently after 2 years of clinics. My dentist said he wouldn't be surprised if a year of residency for GP was a requirement by the time I graduated for incoming classes. Will that happen? I don't know. .That was his opinion and he knows he's not God.
I've never heard of a DENTIST advertise as a "Harvard graduate". I've recently seen "USC graduate" on a flyer... who cares? I know and you know USC is :sleep: -----> I have heard on the radio Dr. blahblah, opthamologist "a Harvard medical school graduate"... it sounds good, but who cares?? In Los Angeles, if you find a good dentist then you keep him as your dentist... and NO ONE ever mentions "oh they are good b/c they graduated from so and so".
I like your dentist... I think a year residency is a great option. We'll wait and see, it's going to be us who are the future dentists and it'll be obvious as to who knows what to do and who doesn't... the slackers will eventually fall short of their "clinical expertise gained from a fantastic education at Blah University"-- what a bunch of crap. I wouldn't be surprised if I hardly learn ANYTHING in d-school... I'm counting on real world experience and quite possibly a residency of some sort.

Typo said:
WRONG.

I've been over this before.

ranked #1 --> school that accepts ME!
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

ranked #2 --> school that accepts JavadiCavity.
ranked #3 --> school that accepts Quakinator.

And aren't we loving Halo 2 now?!! :D :thumbup:

sonicultrascrub said:
it sounds good, but who cares?? In Los Angeles, if you find a good dentist then you keep him as your dentist... and NO ONE ever mentions "oh they are good b/c they graduated from so and so".

Absolutely, I agree. :) I was merely trying to say that for people looking for a dentist and see an ad in a newspaper, phone book, whatever, seeing "Harvard Blah Blah Blah" will impress people even though they know nothing about dental schools. But nobody is going to stick with a dentist because of the school he/she graduated from -- definitely not disagreeing with you there. If you do good work, the patients will stay.
Just my opinion! :p

polarnut said:
harvard? it's all about the name. dont matter what kind of education you get. you go out into the world and tell people you graduated from harvard, that gives you upper hand right off the bat.

The upper hand in what? Certainly not practicing dentistry.

Any prospective employers are going to laugh at you if you tell them you'll be a good associate because you graduated from Harvard.

They're much more interested in your actual abilities.

For example, MBA grads who graduate from Wharton (Penn) can go out into the world and tell employers that they graduated from a top school. Until they've worked some projects or put their alleged services to the test, there isn't much an employer can do to determine if they will be an asset or liability to the company.

With dentistry, however, you can do a couple of crown preps, do some endo, etc., and the employer can tell if you have what he's looking for.

ranark said:

Hardest to get into based only on number of applicants and number of acceptances given out?

Not the schools that you think, that's for sure.

I was merely trying to say that for people looking for a dentist and see an ad in a newspaper, phone book, whatever, seeing "Harvard Blah Blah Blah" will impress people even though they know nothing about dental schools.

What dentist advertises where they went to dental school in the phonebook...please tell me!!!??

Additionally, while it is a good idea to gain some exposure in a GPR or AEGD....wherever you went to school should expose you to a good amount of time in the clinic. Basically, if you go to a school that stresses clinics above anything else you might (should) not need to do a GPR/AEGD when you get out because you are already comfortable and/or good at any number of dental procedures. On the other hand doing a 1 year residency does has its advantages (picking up speed, learning how to deal with more difficult patients/harder cases, anesthesia training, etc)

Bullfan16 said:
What dentist advertises where they went to dental school in the phonebook...please tell me!!!??
Not sure about the phone book, but in our community magazines, newspaper, yellow pages.... almost all doctors list the schools they went. Some even list what they did in our home country. Some even list awards they received, associations they belong...

ItsGavinC said:
Hardest to get into based only on number of applicants and number of acceptances given out?

Not the schools that you think, that's for sure.
It's prob yours, isn't it? Only 54 seats and many chose for different reasons.

during my interview at Tufts, they brought up the question of ranking dental schools. Apparently US News and World Report is filing suit against the ADA for this, considering it "withholding information," and in a few years the dental schools will once again be ranked. They told us that we'll probably be about a year into dental school by the time we know the rank of our school.

I don't know the truth to this, it's just what the presenter said at the interview. Interesting... the politics of dental schools and professional schools in general are just mind boggling. I just want to be a dentist, leave me out of that educational administration mess!

ItsGavinC said:
For example, MBA grads who graduate from Wharton (Penn) can go out into the world and tell employers that they graduated from a top school. Until they've worked some projects or put their alleged services to the test, there isn't much an employer can do to determine if they will be an asset or liability to the company..

You have to be an extremely talented individual to get into MBA program like Penn, Northwestern or Harvard. You have to be even more talented to graduate from such school. The skill set that you?ll get there will get you ready for the most challenging projects that your employer could present to you. BTW, the same is correct for the law schools. The best law firms are hiring from the top schools. And it?s not just the name of the school.

Now, back to Dental Schools. Yes, the number of applicants, number of acceptances given out, and their DAT/GPA scores are pointing that some schools are much harder to get in. There is a reason that Columbia accepts students with higher stats than NYU. We could argue for hours that NYU will give you better practical ability, but statistically Columbia is better overall school. I am not comparing the UCLA and USC, because the price difference is one of the variables that we can?t deny.

atlanta478 said:
You have to be an extremely talented individual to get into MBA program like Penn, Northwestern or Harvard. You have to be even more talented to graduate from such school. The skill set that you?ll get there will get you ready for the most challenging projects that your employer could present to you. BTW, the same is correct for the law schools. The best law firms are hiring from the top schools. And it?s not just the name of the school.
I agree with you. Many CEO's in the West are Stanford grads. That must say something about the school.

mikhiel said:
during my interview at Tufts, they brought up the question of ranking dental schools. Apparently US News and World Report is filing suit against the ADA for this, considering it "withholding information," and in a few years the dental schools will once again be ranked. They told us that we'll probably be about a year into dental school by the time we know the rank of our school.

I don't know the truth to this, it's just what the presenter said at the interview. Interesting... the politics of dental schools and professional schools in general are just mind boggling. I just want to be a dentist, leave me out of that educational administration mess!
Filing suit on what grounds? Nobody's obligated to talk to media outlets about anything they don't want to, and I admire dental schools for banding together to give US News the collective finger. Unless they chase this in the Federal Judicial Legislature--er, I mean the 9th Circuit, it shouldn't have a chance.

aphistis said:
Filing suit on what grounds? Nobody's obligated to talk to media outlets about anything they don't want to, and I admire dental schools for banding together to give US News the collective finger. Unless they chase this in the Federal Judicial Legislature--er, I mean the 9th Circuit, it shouldn't have a chance.

Leave it to the 9th Circuit to screw up ANYTHING that comes before them!!!!

I have read a couple posts say that harvard's facilities are crap, but I thought they just got a brand new dental facility? Anyone know for sure?

Next, it seems that this debate over school rankings has been the topic of numerous threads here on SDN, so why is that? Are people simply trying to defend the schools that they will apply to. Harvard in particular is the subject of criticism, and some people really seem determined to prove that harvard is not a top notch school. Considering that Harvard has a wide variety of resources, only accepts really smart applicants (their DAT and GPA averages are wicked high), and have a reputation for employing some of the best faculty (I doubt they just hire crap for only the dental school), it seems reasonable to think they have a good program. Some have suggested that these variables dont necessarily produce great dentist, and granted it is not necessarily true, but it is not a huge stretch to think that intelligent people in a good environment would not allow themselves to become piles of crap. Others have suggested that out of date facilities (assuming that is true) have some influence on whether or not you learn. I think this is ridiculous. If the student actually wants to learn. Finally, the average american would be impressed if they asked their dentist where they went to school, and the answer was harvard. You dont even have to advertise that because I am sure that word of mouth will spread it, and people will be impressed. I am only applying to harvard and my friends think it is something special. Granted, I will probably not be accepted, but this proves my point that the name draws attention. Can you get a great education at almost any school, definitely. Is harvard a great school, definitely.

If anyone disagrees with me, please show me evidence that the students arent some of the nations brightest, the faculty are not qualified, harvard doesnt carry name recognition, or that their graduates are less qualified than other schools. I doubt anyone can do so sufficiently.

Oh, and for anyone that thinks the reason I defend harvard is because it is my top choice, well you are wrong.

I just dont think you get it:

Throw undergrad, business school and medical school rankings out the window. Again, ask your dentist how many times anyone has asked where they went to school and I guarantee he can only count the number on one hand. You are wrong in thinking that a patient will recommend their dentist purely on where they went to school. They are judged based on personality, quality of work completed, fees, and office environment. I have never heard that logic before, ever. I dont care how great the diploma will look in your operatory, it simply doesnt matter where you go as long as you finish and pass your boards, Harvard is no exception. If you get in and have the chance to go, great, but I really dont think anyone else will be jealous (I know I sure as hell wont be). If you got into their med school or business school, thats a different story, but the reality is we are talking Harvard Dental. Does any applicant really care where they go as long as they get in????

The thing about Harvard isn't that they aren't a good school. All dental schools have positives and negatives about them. Harvard just isn't a school that produces general dentists. It is not a focus for them. Consequently, you take classes with the med students for 2 years, and you don't start seeing patients in the clinic until the 3rd year. Anyone that is considering being a general dentist is going to shy away from Harvard. If you want to specialize, then Harvard is the best place to be. From what I understand, 35 out of 36 in last year's class went on to residency programs.

adamlc18 said:
The thing about Harvard isn't that they aren't a good school. All dental schools have positives and negatives about them. Harvard just isn't a school that produces general dentists. It is not a focus for them. Consequently, you take classes with the med students for 2 years, and you don't start seeing patients in the clinic until the 3rd year. Anyone that is considering being a general dentist is going to shy away from Harvard. If you want to specialize, then Harvard is the best place to be. From what I understand, 35 out of 36 in last year's class went on to residency programs.

Most of the STudents at that Dental SChool go into Oral Sug...so they are in school for another 7 yrs. ....I know i have firends there and thats what they are doing!! :idea:

Why is everyone bashing Harvard? They are seeking students who most likely want a very strong biomedical education/focus on research. I don't see what is so wrong with that. If someone wants to go there, let them go and be happy. You guys who go around bashing schools just make yourselves sound petty and immature.

I just dont want to go there and I dont see the big deal because as I have said over and over again all schools are the same (each has its +'s and -'s), with no one school being better than the other. There's a reason dental schools arent ranked and this is probably the best reason why...name recognition. Just because NIKE is worn by many professional athletes doesnt mean its the best shoe out there....thats all I am saying. If anyone wants to go, by all means go and get a great education.

Quick story: There's a girl in my classes who wants to go to X university dental school. Great, fantastic. However, she said if she gets an acceptance to Y university (about the same distance away from home and same cost) she wouldnt be happy. My question is, does it really matter where we go as long as we get in (as stated previously)??? I am longing for the day when I can say I got in and some people take this stuff for granted....besides prestige of a school might only get you so far and in the end it doesnt matter where you go as long as DDS follows your last name.

IMO, if it helps, it prob helps you when you apply for something (say after your grad, and look for work or higher education). After that, school names don't really mean much.

Precarious_Yups said:
I am one of the brightest students in the nation... I didn't apply to Harvard b/c my GPAs too low. Just because you have a high GPA and high DAT doesn't make you one of the nation's finest. I know alot of kids with 4.0 who can't hold a test tube with confidence... in fact, the only thing they can do is read (book smart). A DENTIST, is more of a well rounded individual... if you don't believe me, good luck with your own private practice. Good luck to you anyways.

Ok, seriously people. I am sorry, but DAT scores and GPA are the two best measures of academic ability out there for dental applicants. My question for precarious yups is this: considering that you are aware that dental schools look for students with high GPA's, obtaining a high GPA must be a goal, so why did you not obtain one? (if you are one of the nations brightest). I dont mean to sound rude, but it is an obvious question. Further, i am a bit scared that you know so many 4.0 students that can't hold a test tube with confidence. Are they all dental applicants? The inability to use your hands will limit some people from specific professions, but I am pretty sure that if someone is smart, and knows they arent good with their hands, they wouldnt pursue dentistry. People usually dont intentionally enter a field they arent good at.

Precaious yups: you didnt prove they arent some of the brightest and sure didnt show they cant ALSO HOLD A TEST TUBE. So what was your evidence again? I think I see a logical fallacy.

Further, I am not saying that bright students dont exist outside the walls of harvard, just that the ones there are some of the best. Oh, and so what if they dont see patients until the third year. Lots of schools dont see patients until then. That doesnt mean that those students cant learn the techniques in that time period. Considering that harvard sends most grads to specialty school, which are highly competative, suggests that there is benefit to going to harvard because specialty spots are open to all. Plus, just because they go into specialties, does not mean they arent great generalists.

Last, name recognition. Harvard has the most amongst the average citizen (who doesnt know a thing about dental education). Granted, almost none of ones business in a general practice is obtained via school namesake. The fact is that even if you school attracts ONE extra patient, your business does better.

Stop hating on specifically harvard, because it smells of jealousy.

Bullfan16 said:
... If you got into their med school or business school, thats a different story, but the reality is we are talking Harvard Dental. Does any applicant really care where they go as long as they get in????

If your DAT score is 17/16/17 and GPA below 3.2 you don?t care where you?ll go as long as you?ll get accepted. But majority students who scored the DAT 22+/20+/22+ with GPA 3.6+ care and care a lot what school they will get in.

DAT 22+/20+/22+ with GPA 3.6+, that's exactly where I am, and I do care where I go, a lot, cuz that's 4 years... once in a life time, also affecting my relationship with gf. :mad:
UOP sounds like a great school, think I have any chance at this late. My application sent out Oct23rd. Haven't heard a thing from them, no secondary, no interview... Fustrated :eek:

Profchaos said:
DAT 22+/20+/22+ with GPA 3.6+, that's exactly where I am, and I do care where I go, a lot, cuz that's 4 years... once in a life time, also affecting my relationship with gf. :mad:
UOP sounds like a great school, think I have any chance at this late. My application sent out Oct23rd. Haven't heard a thing from them, no secondary, no interview... Fustrated :eek:

settle down, you might be alright however you must realize that the schools may not even get your application until mid December. It's only been 3 weeks since you sent in your application, even the applicants who sent their applications in the very first week took longer than 3 weeks to reach the dental schools. I'm guessing that this late in the game it will take 6-8 weeks to process your application. This means you should get your secondary hopefully just before Christmas and then interview invite in january for late Jan or early Feb. Good luck and be patient!

atlanta478 said:
If your DAT score is 17/16/17 and GPA below 3.2 you don?t care where you?ll go as long as you?ll get accepted. But majority students who scored the DAT 22+/20+/22+ with GPA 3.6+ care and care a lot what school they will get in.

I agree.

Unless you threw darts at a map of the U.S. and decided on where to apply based on where those darts landed, I think you probably do care where you go.

(Well, if you applied to all 55 (+/-) dental schools, I'll admit you probably don't care where you go.)

ItsGavinC said:
For example, MBA grads who graduate from Wharton (Penn) can go out into the world and tell employers that they graduated from a top school. Until they've worked some projects or put their alleged services to the test, there isn't much an employer can do to determine if they will be an asset or liability to the company.
To get into Wharton you must have already proved yourself the creme of the crop in the workplace.