Rank the order of importance plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The kitchen sink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DIT, FA, Uworld, Pathoma, Goljians, Other

from my understanding its a combo of Uworld/FA > Pathoma/Goljian > DIT > Other (BRS Phys, HY Neuro)

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

from my understanding its a combo of Uworld/FA > Pathoma/Goljian > DIT > Other (BRS Phys, HY Neuro)

what do you guys think?
Everyone should use FA and UWorld.

Everyone should use Pathoma or Goljan unless they only have a couple weeks to study, or a superstar and don't need them. I prefer Pathoma because of how easy it is to learn from but Goljan is good too. It's hard to get through all of Goljan unless you used it during the year.

BRS Phys, HY Neuro, or CMMRS can be used if you are weak in that subject, but they are not necessary.

DIT, FA Express, or Kaplan HY can be used if you want something structured to cover everything in FA. Everyone hates on these on SDN, but I think it is worth considering doing one if you have time. USMLERx or Gunner Training are other options to make sure you know everything in FA. GT is very effective but takes forever.

Kaplan QBank is another good resource but not needed unless you want more questions. A lot of people at my school used it during the year.

In case anyone was wondering, Falcon sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)

what do you guys think?

FA> UW> Goljan > Pathoma > DIT > Other

If you are already solid in Path then Pathoma is unnecessary. Use Goljan to strengthen your path score.

im basically going with the Uworld/FA/Pathoma approach. I have a few things left in DIT but i may just drop it go with these 3 sources... but this stuff is subject to change like every other day.

what do you guys think?

Thats the easiest question of all time. Well, may be not.

FA and UW > Pathoma > Goljan > DIT

Thats the easiest question of all time. Well, may be not.

FA and UW > Pathoma > Goljan > DIT

I'd say FA > UW > Pathoma > Kaplan QBank > BRS Phys > DIT/Kaplan High Yield

If you do Pathoma you don't need Goljian.

I don't know why everybody hates DIT so much around here... everybody I've talked to outside the forums has always recommended it strongly. I thought it was great too. I used FA with supplements from Pathoma and UW/Kaplan Qbanks for initial review, and now I'm doing the DIT course. Nothing has improved my Qbank scores as rapidly as the DIT course has.

That said, I think it's only really beneficial if you're in the 220-230 range like me. A lot of the people around these forums are the 250-260 people, which might be why they don't find it all that useful.

I don't know why everybody hates DIT so much around here... everybody I've talked to outside the forums has always recommended it strongly. I thought it was great too. I used FA with supplements from Pathoma and UW/Kaplan Qbanks for initial review, and now I'm doing the DIT course. Nothing has improved my Qbank scores as rapidly as the DIT course has.

That said, I think it's only really beneficial if you're in the 220-230 range like me. A lot of the people around these forums are the 250-260 people, which might be why they don't find it all that useful.

Well, i am not against DIT but it did not work too well for me. I used it few months ago and i used it properly. Meaning, i printed out all the notes and paused videos to answer the questions. Did all the daily review quizes and in session quizes. It improved my score by 10 points only.

I think the reason why it did not work well for me because i used it at an INCORRECT time. I used it because everyone and their mothers around me praising DIT and i fell for it. DIT is a recapping tool, IMO. I used it to "learn/understanding" the material and that is why it DID not work for it. I should have used it as a last minute review. IMO, all they did was read off of FA and did not explain the first aid too much.

Now, i have have understood the FA for most part with the help of the review course, questions and pathoma. If i were to use DIT right now, it probably will be alot more beneficial.

So IMO, DIT is ONLY BENEFICIAL if used correctly (towards the end of one's prep) rather than using it early in the preparation.

I think because it costs $795, which is more than 3 Qbanks and every book you would need to buy to prep. Some people have to think a bit before investing that much $ and want equivalent value for what they have invested.

I agree if money isn't a factor, then it seems great. From the posts I've read from you, you seem to have bought every Step 1 prep material out there, so it appears you don't have a budget for Step 1.

qbanks + DIT + FA express + (?) --> $1500 which is a lot!

Well, i am not against DIT but it did not work too well for me. I used it few months ago and i used it properly. Meaning, i printed out all the notes and paused videos to answer the questions. Did all the daily review quizes and in session quizes. It improved my score by 10 points only.

I think the reason why it did not work well for me because i used it at an INCORRECT time. I used it because everyone and their mothers around me praising DIT and i fell for it. DIT is a recapping tool, IMO. I used it to "learn/understanding" the material and that is why it DID not work for it. I should have used it as a last minute review. IMO, all they did was read off of FA and did not explain the first aid too much.

Now, i have have understood the FA for most part with the help of the review course, questions and pathoma. If i were to use DIT right now, it probably will be alot more beneficial.

So IMO, DIT is ONLY BENEFICIAL if used correctly (towards the end of one's prep) rather than using it early in the preparation.

So you're saying learning from DIT is worse than learning from just FA? I find that hard to believe.

Also, what do you mean by "10 points only"? What were you scoring before you took the course? Did you memorize everything in FA after DIT went over the respective chapters, or did you just go through the videos/do the quizzes/etc?

I think because it costs $795, which is more than 3 Qbanks and every book you would need to buy to prep. Some people have to think a bit before investing that much $ and want equivalent value for what they have invested.

I agree if money isn't a factor, then it seems great. From the posts I've read from you, you seem to have bought every Step 1 prep material out there, so it appears you don't have a budget for Step 1.

qbanks + DIT + FA express + (?) --> $1500 which is a lot!
Not to mention the actual cost of Step 1 itself.

So you're saying learning from DIT is worse than learning from just FA? I find that hard to believe.

Also, what do you mean by "10 points only"? What were you scoring before you took the course? Did you memorize everything in FA after DIT went over the respective chapters, or did you just go through the videos/do the quizzes/etc?

Learning without understanding is not going to get you anywhere. It can be via FA or DIT. If you are not understand then it really does not matter.

When i did DIT, i still hadn't understood FA. Had i reviewed it prior to DIT? Sure. Did i UNDERSTAND it? Nope. So thats why DIT was not too helpful for me. It seemed like, he was just regurgitating, more or less, fa to me. Was he pointing out what was 5 star or a 2 star topic and was it helpful? Of course. But IMO, he was not explaining the "why" behind the way things were in FA.

Yes, i memorized everything in FA but i think i memorized without understanding. I watched the lectures at 1x and paused as needed to do the quizes etc. Then i spent around 2 hours reviewing that day's lecture from FA. I had gone through FA prior to DIT course but i don't think i really understood it. And memorization of FA without understanding is futile.

If i were to do DIT now, i think it would be alot more beneficial because now i finally understand FA.

Not to mention the actual cost of Step 1 itself.

I think DIT seems attractive, but it's just too expensive for what it is. High Yield is comparable (though probably not as good) and can be gotten for ~$200 for the 3 months before the exam. I also know a lot of people who just couldn't handle DIT because it took them too long to go through.

I've been using High Yield now on my second pass through FA and it's been good at pointing at sections I apparently glanced over during the first round and fairly good at pointing out the high yield points (i.e. don't memorize MUDPILES....just know aspirin overdose, DKA, and lactic acidosis). It's also nice because it's only 50 hours of lecture....which can be reduce to maybe 35 hours with 1.5x speed. I also don't watch the path components for the most part, because Pathoma accomplishes this better than FA, DIT or HY.

I've been using High Yield now on my second pass through FA and it's been good at pointing at sections I apparently glanced over during the first round and fairly good at pointing out the high yield points (i.e. don't memorize MUDPILES....just know aspirin overdose, DKA, and lactic acidosis). It's also nice because it's only 50 hours of lecture....which can be reduce to maybe 35 hours with 1.5x speed. I also don't watch the path components for the most part, because Pathoma accomplishes this better than FA, DIT or HY.

I don't think I'd ever trust any "high yield" program that literally. I feel like if you spent the extra 3 minutes you could memorize the remaining letters in MUDPILES and not be completely clueless if a question asked for the person's acid/base status after consumption of methanol.