Rank top 5 OMS programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentigerous

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

What is "IN YOUR OPINION" the top 5 OMS programs (6 years) right now in terms of reputation in the dental field.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There is no "best" program, because they all have strengths and weaknesses. You have to ask this question in context of your goals and interests. The views here will also differ based on which programs you interview or extern at. I doubt anyone has had a first-hand look at every program. In the end, the best program is the one you match with.

But here's my list, in no particular order and based on the broad-scope of training:

Shreveport
Alabama
Parkland
New Orleans (we'll have to see what happens here)
San Antonio

maybe Nebraska, but I don't know since they switched to a 5-year track.

Shreveport
Alabama
Parkland
New Orleans (we'll have to see what happens here)
San Antonio

I'll second the first four--I don't know anything about San Antonio. I also think Harvard should be added to the list. They rock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor
Shreveport
Parkland
Louisville
San Antonio

thanks for the input. Besides the southern schools are there any you would consider from west coast or the north in general

No. Parkland is better than shreveport.

But only because you have more nudie bars. :thumbup: ;)

dentigerous said:
thanks for the input. Besides the southern schools are there any you would consider from west coast or the north in general

4 or 6 year?

Four year- i would say Ohio State, although they have some serious faculty turmoil going on. Iowa was always very strong. Seattle i thought was very well rounded. Not familiar with the chicago programs or cali programs so ?

6 year- Nebraska is a great 5 year bread and butter program, michigan in ann arbor is very good, don't know about the ohio dual degree programs...I heard that UCSF now is 6 years for everyone, not just those guys who went to ivy league dental schools, so that is a plus. Oregon is a very good 6 year program. don't know much else about the cali schools like i said above.

I really only applied and ranked southern schools cause of their broad scope of practice, with an occasional northern school cause the weather is way better! :laugh:

Heat sucks.

Unemployed said:
how about UCLA?

I just interviewed there. Definately not for me but some of the other guys liked it. Pure bread and butter, nothing else.

What are the strong and weak points of these programs?
Question is which one would be best to interview at?

What about the Houston program? I know that it has both a 4 and 6 year track.

Jediwendell said:
Baylor
Shreveport
Parkland
Louisville
San Antonio

Baylor and Louisville are that strong?

Members don't see this ad :)
GatorDMD said:
Baylor and Louisville are that strong?
I'm in Dallas at Parkland's program and we do anesthesia with the Baylor guys here at Parkland. They're definately a good bunch of guys. It's interesting when we talk about our strengths and weaknesses. I think Baylor is better than Parkland for people who want to do private practice with pretty up-to-date procedures (tibia bone grafts, etc.). Because it's a private practice type of setting, their patients actually have appointments throughout the day. In contrast, the Parkland clinic schedules about 100 people per day for 8:00 am. About 60 will show up and your job is to edentulate Dallas County as fast as you can. Impacted 3rds? We don't need no stinkin' sedation, it takes too long. Baylor has a better implant and pre-prosthetic surgery component, which is Parkland's weakness. On the other hand, Parkland's strengths are in training in things like Moh's repair, trauma, skin cancer, trauma, cosmetics, and even trauma. We finally have a Head & Neck fellowship trained guy also.

Louisville seemed like a good program to me. More bread & butter than many, but they work in a nice environment and have a great relationship with their staff. And you don't have to pay for med school, last I heard. And you can moonlight. Probably the best financial deal in the country.

Battlesign said:
What are the strong and weak points of these programs?
Question is which one would be best to interview at?
I think UAB is one of the best programs in the country as far as scope and the aggressive nature (everything gets operated). Birmingham is also a great place to live and raise a family. Most yankees don't realize this and think "what the hell's in Alabama?" but it's a beautiful city.

toofache32 said:
..........."what the hell's in Alabama?" .

Rednecks?

Alabamians?

Moonshine?

My 22 year old edentulated patients brother?

north2southOMFS said:
4 or 6 year?

Four year- i would say Ohio State, although they have some serious faculty turmoil going on. Iowa was always very strong. Seattle i thought was very well rounded. Not familiar with the chicago programs or cali programs so ?

6 year- Nebraska is a great 5 year bread and butter program, michigan in ann arbor is very good, don't know about the ohio dual degree programs...I heard that UCSF now is 6 years for everyone, not just those guys who went to ivy league dental schools, so that is a plus. Oregon is a very good 6 year program. don't know much else about the cali schools like i said above.

I really only applied and ranked southern schools cause of their broad scope of practice, with an occasional northern school cause the weather is way better! :laugh:

Heat sucks.

What's going on with Ohio State?

What about M.G.H? Emory?

OMFS2B said:
What's going on with Ohio State?

There was some serious disagreements with the dean of the dental school and Dr. larson (who rocks)-he's was the OMFS chair. Their ******ed dean (probably like an orthodontist or periodontist or something) wanted to stop paying the oral surgery residents during residency or something like that, so Larson told him how ******ed he was so he was removed from his chairmanship of the OMFS department or something. This is all hearsay of course but we've had a few externs from OSU so i believe it is very accurate. Plus our last years chief is up there doing Dr. evans cosmetics fellowship, he is also from their and he knew about it.

dentigerous said:
Hey all,

What is "IN YOUR OPINION" the top 5 OMS programs (6 years) right now in terms of reputation in the dental field.

thanks

None of that matters. The best program is the one you get into, and what you make of it.

Each program has something to offer... At the end of the day its all the same however. There is always some Toofache, Eslcavo, CardsFan, TxOMS, Bifid Uvula, etc there to bring down the reputation and professionalism of the program. :laugh: :smuggrin:

Here's my list:

Shreveport
Lexington
Houston
Parkland
UAB? Miami? Maryland? I'm not sure about the fifth member of the team.

Not San Antonio. They aren't bad, but I don't think they stand out particularly. There were some financial issues in the department that even involved resident's salaries. Have to ask Jediwendell how the department is now.

--Tx OMS, logged in as omsres

omfsres said:
Here's my list:

Shreveport
Lexington
Houston
Parkland
UAB? Miami? Maryland? I'm not sure about the fifth member of the team.

Not San Antonio. They aren't bad, but I don't think they stand out particularly. There were some financial issues in the department that even involved resident's salaries. Have to ask Jediwendell how the department is now.

--Tx OMS, logged in as omsres

I would remove maryland from your list.

Jediwendell or anyone else.

What is the situation at San Antonio?

Battlesign said:
Jediwendell or anyone else.

What is the situation at San Antonio?
I remember there being a fair amount of fighting between OMFS, ENT, and plastics. I think the plastics chairman went to dental school, then medical school, then plastics so he feels superior to OMFS and thinks he can do everything we do, though he's not an OMFS. Also, the program director is kinda gruff in my experience.

Any word, thoughts, ideas on UIC ??? How about when compared to Cook County??

Are these country club or hard core?

Thanks

Maxillicious said:
Any word, thoughts, ideas on UIC ??? How about when compared to Cook County??

Are these country club or hard core?

Thanks
I externed at Cook County for 3 weeks and I had a great time there. I actually found out about Cook County from a UIC OMFS resident. I was initially going to do a month at UIC, but an UIC OMFS resident tells me not to go there, instead go to Cook County for externship.

From what I heard after hanging out at Cook County for 3 weeks, everyone from UIC to Cook County felt Cook County is the better OMFS program as far as in program training and faculty members. I've heard that UIC OMFS Chair is malignant and he yells at everybody. After all the negatives I heard about the UIC OMFS program, I decided to not even participate my one week externship there.

I have my interview with Cook County OMFS next Tuesday, I'm pumped! I'll write more about the major differences between the two after my interview. If I had to choose in the City of Chicago, then I would pick Cook over UIC anyday.

tx oms said:
I remember there being a fair amount of fighting between OMFS, ENT, and plastics. I think the plastics chairman went to dental school, then medical school, then plastics so he feels superior to OMFS and thinks he can do everything we do, though he's not an OMFS. Also, the program director is kinda gruff in my experience.

Very true about Plastics. Dr. Wang is an OMS trained plastics guy and can be a real jerk about some things. ENT is actually a service that we got along well with. I have seen much worse infighting, and in the end, there is more than enough for everyone. We were really busy. Startzell is kindof gruff, and has a weird sense of humor, but he would give you the shirt off of his back if he thought you needed it. We had a resident get his car stolen and startzell let him drive his truck for about a month and a half. He also wrote me a phenomenal letter of recommendation for ortho after I dropped out of the program. Not too many people will do that for you.

Jediwendell said:
...Startzell is kindof gruff, and has a weird sense of humor, but he would give you the shirt off of his back if he thought you needed it. We had a resident get his car stolen and startzell let him drive his truck for about a month and a half. He also wrote me a phenomenal letter of recommendation for ortho after I dropped out of the program. Not too many people will do that for you.
Sounds like a classy guy. Not many program directors would support the guy that just put a kink in their program.

Jediwendell said:
Very true about Plastics. Dr. Wang is an OMS trained plastics guy and can be a real jerk about some things. ENT is actually a service that we got along well with. I have seen much worse infighting, and in the end, there is more than enough for everyone. We were really busy. Startzell is kindof gruff, and has a weird sense of humor, but he would give you the shirt off of his back if he thought you needed it. We had a resident get his car stolen and startzell let him drive his truck for about a month and a half. He also wrote me a phenomenal letter of recommendation for ortho after I dropped out of the program. Not too many people will do that for you.

Maybe he was glad to see you go. Two contrasting ways to look at that exceptional letter of recommendation. :laugh: