Ranking fellowship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nets445

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told directly by the fellowship PD at my home (IM) program that I am ranked to match. However, there are 2 fellowship programs that I would like to rank higher than my home program. Would ranking my home program 3rd mess up my “ranked to match” guarantee if I didn’t get into the other 2 programs?

essentially, would the match algorithm screw my chances of going to my home program if I didn’t rank it first?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told directly by the fellowship PD at my home (IM) program that I am ranked to match. However, there are 2 fellowship programs that I would like to rank higher than my home program. Would ranking my home program 3rd mess up my “ranked to match” guarantee if I didn’t get into the other 2 programs?

essentially, would the match algorithm screw my chances of going to my home program if I didn’t rank it first?

No...rank based on where you want to go and use your home program as a stop program.

Just don't tell your home program you're ranking them #1.

Members don't see this ad :)

No, that's not how the algorithm works.

Reactions: 1 user
Ignore what programs tell you and rank based on your personal preference.. end of story. "Ranked to match" is no guarantee of matching.