Ranking for podiatric medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jonwill, Thanks for the update!!! But do you know if OHIO has caught up with any of the LPN schools yet???

I heard about the technology update, but I wonder if they have plenty of photocopy machines and printers for the students to use though!! Better reproduction quality for them ohio generated "study aids" is an important component of the "education process" from what I hear!

BTW, in 10 years, who will have more students, Ohio podiatry University or Ohio State Univeristy?

:confused: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't gotten the "how to use old tests for studying" lecture yet? Do you skip classes?

Also, you may want to sit in (if you are allowed) to the lecture on how to be an A photocopy student.

haven't there been posts on this forum about a dean lecturing the students on the proper and improper way to use an old test.

You haven't gotten the "how to use old tests for studying" lecture yet? Do you skip classes?

Also, you may want to sit in (if you are allowed) to the lecture on how to be an A photocopy student.

haven't there been posts on this forum about a dean lecturing the students on the proper and improper way to use an old test.

have you ever gone to class there? this seems like another nonsensical/nonfactual tirade by whiskers which has caused me to have no respect for you, or your opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you ever gone to class there? this seems like another nonsensical/nonfactual tirade by whiskers which has caused me to have no respect for you, or your opinion.

Wiskers is funny and you should respect him for that. He brings comedy to the forums and that is a very important job.

Wiskers is funny and you should respect him for that. He brings comedy to the forums and that is a very important job.

i heard at nycpm the entire class takes exams together and pools answers

Exactly^

OSU, he's half joking... and half not (hint: get to know some upperclassmen or "in the know" classmates fast if OCPM still has all of the CWRU faculty and you don't have old exams yet). It's fairly well documented in the forums; try running a search. No, old tests won't help you learn the material very well, but unfortunately, they certainly might mean the difference between a better grade or even passing vs failing some classes where the profs are lazy and use a lot of "repeaters."

Old tests and stealing questions goes on to some degree in all professional programs, but some schools are worse than others and have a lot of students who don't share the old material. Just search "old tests" or "cheating ocpm" in the pod forums and you will dig up some threads and posts on it. We have old tests at Barry just like anywhere else, but luckily, they're all centralized here and everyone has access to the same ones... that levels the playing field. I study hard and learn the material from book/notes, but of course I also read old tests because you'd be crazy not to when everyone else is. I wish they didn't exist, but hey, you play the hand you're dealt...

i heard at nycpm the entire class takes exams together and pools answers

every school has its black sheep and little secrets. I thanked my entire class after every exam and especially at graduation for their assistence in helping me earn my diploma.

And what is so bad about class comradery?

(sarcasm - lots of it)

so today one of the profs did mention the "big board scandal" at the podiatry schools that arose a few years back when a study sheet came out of florida and circulated to students at different schools. apparently this professor testified about the material on the exam and the review sheet. He said some attorney tried to nail him over the fact that so many students knew that the electron transport chain and oxidative phosphorylation were related. anyway, ocpm won that case, but thats all i really heard. still no word on those old exams. we have exam week coming up in a week and a half and i could really use some. :confused: maybe you have a few copies to spare whiskers?

At DMU the profs will post a practice test 3 or 4 days before the exam for ALL to view and get an idea of how they will ask questions. That hopefully evens the playing field for everyone. There are probably some other practice tests running around with some groups (cough) though.

Once upon a time there was a very lazy and mischievious wolf named BIGBAD T. HOUND, who envied real academic achievement. He envied it so much that he hatched a 'brilliant' plot to ensure that he was viewed as a genius by everyone who ever saw his prestigious diploma but never heard him speak.

His plan was absolutely brilliant and breath takingly original, he would go ahead to Podunk Podo U and gather for himself sweet looking old tests and carefull extracted Q's from a Carniverous Pack of Wild Ill Mannered Hounds who had traveled that same road just 12 months before; snatching up Q's and A's left and right. He said, I shall forever hide behind my diploma and Glamour Point Average (GPA) and shall strive never to prove my salt in any meaningful way." I shall forever latch onto my carniverous ill mannered friends in higher places and that will propel me to my rightful place among the stars and galaxies far beyond mere mortal reach."

With their expert advice, BIGBAD T. HOUND could position himself as a global leader in admiration and academic achievement and finally present himself promoted to the world as a friggin' certified and double stamped genius.

Well, to make a long story short... The big bad test hound waited at the U for the real scholars to arrive. Once in place he hatched his plan and all went according to plan.

The student and administrative 'academics' said: "Oh what big test scores you have!" and "Oh what a frigging genius we have here" and the teachers (many of whom hatched their own brilliant schemes years ago, said "Oh what a brilliant young wolf, much like I was!." And at every corner there was self congratulations and plenty of professional boasting and petty favors. The genius wolf was thinking they were on top of the world because he didn't realise that he was keeping company with like minded individuals!!!

Well the years went past and the genius wolf was left by himself no longer surrounded by that pack of carniverous pals he once ran with. Some ended up incarcerated for crimes against decency and others for petty fraud and yet others were demoted from genius to commonhood. But years of self promotion and getting away with things had made the mischeivious wolf think that he was actually a spideyman with a spideysense and that he was intellectually superior to all othersm and could outwit even the laws of a nation. But his ambition to earn a bigger salary and more fame than his arch enemies the academics ended the wolf in jail for fraud where he once again joined his carniverous peers lamenting about the good 'ol days.

When BIGBAD T. HOUND finally realised that he had pretended all along and it was just another self destructive disguise, instead of admitting his guilts; he made excuses, through his lawyer, ROTT N. SHARK, blamed everyone else around him and pretended that he didn't know what he was doing was wrong.

The end.

You laugh now, but wait and watch. Pay attention to who cheats in school. Then watch for their names to come up in the newspapers for fraud and other crimes. If someone does not know right from wrong while in school, they do not all the sudden change and start to know right from wrong while practicing medicine. Ethics start from a very young age. Not upon graduation and obtainment of a medical degree.

You laugh now, but wait and watch. Pay attention to who cheats in school. Then watch for their names to come up in the newspapers for fraud and other crimes. If someone does not know right from wrong while in school, they do not all the sudden change and start to know right from wrong while practicing medicine. Ethics start from a very young age. Not upon graduation and obtainment of a medical degree.

:laugh: thanks for the lecture mom

Members don't see this ad :)

So true...
You'd think theses people get weeded out by now, in undergrad... didnt you guys have TAs or teachers roaming around the lecture hall during tests or quizzes? or have to use that website that checks for plagiarism (turnitin.com)? I don't know if we were supper strike or mean at USF, but any student caught cheating got at least a double F (FF), which shows on their transcript

Also doesn't this happen in Pod? Don't people get caught? I can recall so many times that people were asked to leave during a test for looking at another persons tests, for a cell phone going off in class... they mostly got caught in the labs when doing lab reports and copied off each other or looked at a kids paper who had the class before them

I'll admit some teachers turn a blind eye or something... but the majority don't... by junior or senior most of us knew better not to cheat, and the one's that didn't were forced to leave or change majors

I was told at NYCPM that they offer housing at either Draper or Parkchester. Can any NYCPM students who live at Draper / Parkchester comment on the style of the place ( bedroom type, home/apt style, kitchen/bath/living room, etc), price of rent and what is included/not included (if you don't mind), what's around, ease of getting to class, etc. I am thinking about NYCPM and if so, would definitely choose one of these two options. Thanks

So true...
You'd think theses people get weeded out by now, in undergrad... didnt you guys have TAs or teachers roaming around the lecture hall during tests or quizzes? or have to use that website that checks for plagiarism (turnitin.com)? I don't know if we were supper strike or mean at USF, but any student caught cheating got at least a double F (FF), which shows on their transcript

Also doesn't this happen in Pod? Don't people get caught? I can recall so many times that people were asked to leave during a test for looking at another persons tests, for a cell phone going off in class... they mostly got caught in the labs when doing lab reports and copied off each other or looked at a kids paper who had the class before them

I'll admit some teachers turn a blind eye or something... but the majority don't... by junior or senior most of us knew better not to cheat, and the one's that didn't were forced to leave or change majors

everyone cheats in pod school. didnt whiskers tell you?

This is very well said.^
I've heard this from professors over and over.

:laugh: thanks for the lecture mom
You might laugh now, but wait and see. A lot of people will help themselves but not others. Ethics and morals are important.

...doesn't this happen in Pod? Don't people get caught? ...
Cheating is a lot more prevalent than most people would like to think. Whether it's bad students cheating just to pass or good students cheating a bit to be even better, it happens. Whether it's plaigarism, stealing test questions (or even a whole paper exam), "group work" or "recycling" on assignments or online and take-home quizzes, or peeking at another person's answer sheet during a lecture or lab exam, it goes on in all kinds of grad, med, etc programs. Life is a lot more like high school than we like to think sometimes. Yahoo had a nice article on cheating that you might be able to search up; I think they found in a large anonymous survey that MBA students were the worst, but med was right up there.

As for people getting caught, it's not likely. These are smart people, and the strategies get more and more clever as the stakes go up. This isn't like the freshman football players who cheat in college algebra to get a "C" and keep their scholarship. Most grad school cheaters are probably smart enough to make good marks/presentations/papers if they weren't trying to cut corners, so they'll come up with good ways to cheat. Unless the cheater is being careless about it, the only times they'd really get caught is when another student tips off the professor or admins anonymously. Most schools could use more test proctors, but they probably do the best they can. It's not a max security prison, and they generally just trust their students. Most of the problems don't come from the good students because they have too much to lose and don't have many or any smarter classmates to cheat off of, but sometimes poorer students will accuse higher ranked students of cheating simply out of jealousy.

I really don't know how I feel about exposing cheating. The trite old saying that they're only cheating themselves is true. Hopefully, all those people will eventually run into a tough academic interview, board exam, case workup, etc where their true colors will be quite vivid. However, you don't really want those same people with questionable ethics to get out and represent your degree. As krabmas said, those are the ones who might defraud medicare, do unecessary surgery, falsify their resume or case log for a job or certification, write Rx for non-patients or sketchy reasons, skip CMEs, etc. Those crooked people have the potential to be a real embarassment to the profession, and you will sadly read about some of them from time to time...

Fewer Temple students talking up their school on SDN perhaps?

haha thats probably it. but its okay, we carouse these forums quite frequently, we lurk in the shadows/crevices/holes waiting to extern and snag those coveted residencies that are/have been/will be ranked on sdn.

I thought Temple was nothing special at all. When I went to the interview it was so unprofessional. The admissions dean was a little ridiculous and kept defending the school the whole time. I was not impressed at all. The interview guy did not even ask me one question! He just told me about himself and said I would get in everywhere I applied with their top scholarship. And that was it! He said..just wanted to say hi! I was disappointed bc their pampulet they said to ur house is so nice. Then I went there and was like..this is it?!?! I got the 12,000 dollar scholarship but the place just wasnt for me. Also, the cost of living was too high. This ranking thing is funny to me. I thought I would go to Temple or DMU bc of this ranking thing everyone has made up in their mind. Then I went to 3 interviews and decided on the other school...not Temple or DMU. So just visit the schools you are interested in and forget about this ranking stuff! People just want to place their school in the top! Just pick the school you feel best in and then do your best! That's it guys!

So just visit the schools you are interested in and forget about this ranking stuff! People just want to place their school in the top! Just pick the school you feel best in and then do your best! That's it guys!

I agree with what your saying.

I haven't read this thread but school rankings seem rather subjective & ludicrous.

I thought Temple was nothing special at all. When I went to the interview it was so unprofessional. The admissions dean was a little ridiculous and kept defending the school the whole time. I was not impressed at all. The interview guy did not even ask me one question! He just told me about himself and said I would get in everywhere I applied with their top scholarship. And that was it! He said..just wanted to say hi! I was disappointed bc their pampulet they said to ur house is so nice. Then I went there and was like..this is it?!?! I got the 12,000 dollar scholarship but the place just wasnt for me. Also, the cost of living was too high. This ranking thing is funny to me. I thought I would go to Temple or DMU bc of this ranking thing everyone has made up in their mind. Then I went to 3 interviews and decided on the other school...not Temple or DMU. So just visit the schools you are interested in and forget about this ranking stuff! People just want to place their school in the top! Just pick the school you feel best in and then do your best! That's it guys!

Agreed on the Temple thoughts. I was quite excited for the interview but left Temple feeling very disappointed. Honestly, the best thing (IMO) were the cookies at the Doubletree Hotel. No joke.

Agreed on the Temple thoughts. I was quite excited for the interview but left Temple feeling very disappointed. Honestly, the best thing (IMO) were the cookies at the Doubletree Hotel. No joke.

Holy cow!

Those cookies were AWESOME!

My interview was really great at Temple, obviously. I was not grilled by the interviewer, however, I felt it was because he had really looked over my file before I had even stepped into the room. Every other interview I went to, the interviewer pulled their questions out of thin air WHILE looking at my app.

haha wow. lot of people drinking that temple haterade huh?

im sure you can find that the interview process at even one of the newer schools is less than impressive. cough cough azpod.

fyi-- i applied. did a secondary app. didnt get a phone call, or letter, but a email 2-3 months after i had applied and called them asking about my app. (to which they called me back about financial aid??) then all of a sudden, i get an email, no letter about how they want to interview me.
the email told me i had to choose an interview date (which was within 2 weeks). not exactly a timely manner. the word sloppy comes to mind. haha

now, i think, because of this "interview process", azpod isn't impressive, or a good school to attend, and im going to post on sdn and tell other students how its program is less than stellar and it will affect your education blah blah blah. you can see this is clearly irrational logic. dont let urself get influenced by the repeating pre pods posting their negative experiences over and over speak for the thousands of students graduating from these schools and having more than successful careers.

i would advise ANY pre pod reading this that if they do get an invite to azpod, to GO THERE, GO TO BARRY, GO TO NYCPM, GO TO SCHOLL, GO TO DMU, GO CALI, GO TO TEMPLE, GO TO OHIO, interview and see if u like it 4 urself. i, personally, liked my interview at temple and went with it. thought they had an awesome program, liked the students i interviewed with.

i would advise ANY pre pod reading this that if they do get an invite to azpod, to GO THERE, GO TO BARRY, GO TO NYCPM, GO TO SCHOLL, GO TO DMU, GO CALI, GO TO TEMPLE, GO TO OHIO, interview and see if u like it 4 urself. i, personally, liked my interview at temple and went with it. thought they had an awesome program, liked the students i interviewed with.

That is good advice for anyone.

That is good advice for anyone.

I second that. I did not get a good impression of NYCPM from SDN, but after interviewing I actually liked the school a lot. I won't be attending, however, I felt had I gone, my education would be great. Go to all the interviews you can and decide for yourself which school fits you best.

CSPM is number 1

Here is why:

1- I am going there this fall
2- I said so
3- The Bay Area is the best place to live
4- There are no official rankings so I can say whatever I want
5- I said so

You might have a differing opinion, and you might be right. Find the school that fits you the best, and that will be the best school, as long as its not New York:laugh:
just kidding

Even though I thought the temple interview day was ridiculous, the hotel they hook you up in is awesome! It was the best part! lol...and the cookie was awesome! I have never been in such a nice hotel before. So going from the hotel to the campus was a little disappointing..lol..but it was nice that they paid for the hotel arrangements since most schools dont or they just cover a portion. But I agree...if you get alot of interviews go if you can afford it....personally I had to limit the number of places I could interview at bc it just got too expensive...but go to as many as you can afford bc each school has its own personality. I think it would be cool to live in a big city like Philly bc there is alot to do esp at night. I wish the school I was going to had that...but I just knew that I wasnt the right fit for temple. But damn that cookie was good! lol

CSPM is number 1

Here is why:

2- I said so
5- I said so

You might have a differing opinion, and you might be right. Find the school that fits you the best, and that will be the best school, as long as its not New York:laugh:
just kidding

:laugh:

CSPM is number 1

Here is why:

2- I said so
5- I said so

just kidding

lol

It seems that everyone loves to point fingers at NYCPM. My good friend went to an externship this past April and he was saying how all the clinicians were so impressed with his clinic skills. He said that every externship he went on, he was the one that stood out with regards to overall training. People can say this and that about NYCPM but when you are at your externships and you stand out, that goes a long way.

haha wow. lot of people drinking that temple haterade huh?

im sure you can find that the interview process at even one of the newer schools is less than impressive. cough cough azpod.

fyi-- i applied. did a secondary app. didnt get a phone call, or letter, but a email 2-3 months after i had applied and called them asking about my app. (to which they called me back about financial aid??) then all of a sudden, i get an email, no letter about how they want to interview me.
the email told me i had to choose an interview date (which was within 2 weeks). not exactly a timely manner. the word sloppy comes to mind. haha

now, i think, because of this "interview process", azpod isn't impressive, or a good school to attend, and im going to post on sdn and tell other students how its program is less than stellar and it will affect your education blah blah blah. you can see this is clearly irrational logic. dont let urself get influenced by the repeating pre pods posting their negative experiences over and over speak for the thousands of students graduating from these schools and having more than successful careers.

I second that about AZPOD and the interview process. I was really excited about the school but left more or less disappointed. Overall, it seemed quite disorganized where I was offered an interview (cross country) 5 days before the interview date itself. Furthermore, the interview day was whack. We only got to speak to 1 pod student and that was by accident in the cafeteria! I didn't really feel they gave much information on the DPM program, more or less the whole day seemed to be about the DO's. I believe the pod program is quite strong but the first impression of the school was very weak (IMO).

It seems that everyone loves to point fingers at NYCPM. My good friend went to an externship this past April and he was saying how all the clinicians were so impressed with his clinic skills. He said that every externship he went on, he was the one that stood out with regards to overall training. People can say this and that about NYCPM but when you are at your externships and you stand out, that goes a long way.

Sounds cool lax84. Do you know any 4th years doing the new 2 month rotation with the ortho surgeon in Israel? It sounds like a pretty awesome opportunity and the hospital is the biggest in the country (1,700 + beds) plus huge on research. Do you know if it takes away any of your externship time or does it count for 2 months of senior surgery???

Without passing any judgement on your friend, it really doesn't matter whether a student THINKS he/she stood out on an externship. It matters whether they truly did or not. What student isn't going to think that they stood out???

I bring this up because we often hear through the grapevine that such and such a student aced the rotation or was offered the program when in reality, that is far from the truth. Sometimes, they did well, sometimes they didn't, and a few times, we couldn't even remember who they were!!!

Last edited:
...My good friend went to an externship this past April and he was saying how all the clinicians were so impressed with his clinic skills. He said that every externship he went on, he was the one that stood out with regards to overall training...
There are good and poor students/residents from any school. A lot depends on the person and their work ethic. That said, from what I've seen, some schools have a MUCH higher proportion of competent and well read students/residents than other schools, and that probably can be traced back to the pod school's selectivity and curriculum. Nonetheless, there are exceptions to every rule.

As jon pointed out, very few students are ever going to say "wow, I sure bombed that clerkship." It's always in their best interest to say that they impressed the program, got their top choice, etc. You will find the occasional student who will recognize their weaknesses, admit they got their butt kicked on a tough rotation, and will give quality advice which will help prevent future students prepare and prevent the same fate; that takes a more guts and is more helpful IMO.

...it really doesn't matter whether a student THINKS he/she stood out on an externship. It matters whether they truly did or not. What student isn't going to think that they stood out???
Well, in that case, maybe I should let you know ahead of time that I'm planning on "standing out" at DMC and "acing" the rotation next month :laugh:

I second that about AZPOD and the interview process. I was really excited about the school but left more or less disappointed. Overall, it seemed quite disorganized where I was offered an interview (cross country) 5 days before the interview date itself. Furthermore, the interview day was whack. We only got to speak to 1 pod student and that was by accident in the cafeteria! I didn't really feel they gave much information on the DPM program, more or less the whole day seemed to be about the DO's. I believe the pod program is quite strong but the first impression of the school was very weak (IMO).

This is an opinion shared by many, including some here at Azpod. Admissions is an arena we definetly can do better in. Now, not to make excuses, but Azpod itself, being part of the university, doesn't directly control the interview. Admissions is over the overall process. Again, not an excuse, but clarification of where some of the mis communication leading to sub stellar interview day experiences comes from.
As someone involved with the faculty and interview days, I can assure all that improving the interview day is a pretty high priority.

Also, we are only 4 years old. There are definetly some kinks continuously being worked out.

Now, getting off of my soapbox, there is no better way to know where you should go than checking programs out for yourself.

And don't let bad interview days fool you, Azpod is a pretty great school.

Sounds cool lax84. Do you know any 4th years doing the new 2 month rotation with the ortho surgeon in Israel? It sounds like a pretty awesome opportunity and the hospital is the biggest in the country (1,700 + beds) plus huge on research. Do you know if it takes away any of your externship time or does it count for 2 months of senior surgery???

I know someone that went and they loved it. lots of hands on experience.

I was told at NYCPM that they offer housing at either Draper or Parkchester. Can any NYCPM students who live at Draper / Parkchester comment on the style of the place ( bedroom type, home/apt style, kitchen/bath/living room, etc), price of rent and what is included/not included (if you don't mind), what's around, ease of getting to class, etc. I am thinking about NYCPM and if so, would definitely choose one of these two options. Thanks
I visited the school awhile back and got a tour of the housing options. They're definitely what you make of them. People don't realize that the standard of living in NYC is a lot differnt than other places. I was shocked when I saw Draper at first, but then I saw one of the student's rooms, and saw what they could do with the space, so I realized that anything is possible. They told me this and I believed it, if you want to be in NYC and have an easy transition, Draper is a good place to start. It's in a nic(er) area, you don't have to deal with signing a lease, and you live amongst peers. I also saw Parkchester, which is a much better option. THis is already lengthy, so PM if you want more details.