elektroshok

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2007
couple questions:

1. How are people interpreting any emails they receive after their interviews stating things like "...I think you would be a great fit here.."

2. Come rank list time are you going to email your number 1 and tell them you are ranking them number 1? Are you also going to email like the 2-5 spots and say you are ranking them highly?

3. I've heard that some places with email around their rank list time telling you that they are ranking you highly or ranking to match - is this something that is fairly safe to bet that if they say they are ranking you to match then they are?

tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
couple questions:

1. How are people interpreting any emails they receive after their interviews stating things like "...I think you would be a great fit here.."
I say something along the lines of, "Thank you, I really enjoyed your program blah blah blah. I look forward to keeping in touch with you." Then delete them.

2. Come rank list time are you going to email your number 1 and tell them you are ranking them number 1? Are you also going to email like the 2-5 spots and say you are ranking them highly?
I'm going to tell my number 1 that I'm ranking them number 1 and why. That's it.

3. I've heard that some places with email around their rank list time telling you that they are ranking you highly or ranking to match - is this something that is fairly safe to bet that if they say they are ranking you to match then they are?
I don't trust anyone. I've seen too many people burnt by this process. I'm doing what's best for me, and I'm assuming that the programs will do what's best for them (you can bet on it, actually).

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
By the guy with the thing at the place
Status
Attending Physician
I don't trust anyone. I've seen too many people burnt by this process. I'm doing what's best for me, and I'm assuming that the programs will do what's best for them (you can bet on it, actually).
Good advice here. Personally, I wouldn't email anyone. The system is designed to work such that both applicants and programs are free to rank without penalty for "over-reaching". If a pre-match day email might change that, then I think it calls into question the manner in which a program is ranking its applicants.

If you're inclined to email programs, then the advice I received was to tell your #1 exactly that, and then tell the next 2-3 programs that they're "at the top" of your list. Maybe this coded language is common - and therefore no longer useful - nowadays, so take it for what it's worth.

Doctor D

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
My advice is to send a Jory personalized thank you letter after each interview to each interviewer. For ranking I would only tell your number 1 that they are in fact number 1. "Ranking you highly" translates to I like you but I like other programs better. Don't put too much weight in letters from programs but they are definitely a good sign.

tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My advice is to send a Jory personalized thank you letter after each interview to each interviewer. For ranking I would only tell your number 1 that they are in fact number 1. "Ranking you highly" translates to I like you but I like other programs better. Don't put too much weight in letters from programs but they are definitely a good sign.
I've been sending "Thank You," emails. I don't think it's worth the extra 40 cents per interviewer to send them letters. They've been appreciative of the emails so far.

Feb 20, 2013
Status
Medical Student
couple questions:

I have received no such love, is this a common practice for programs post-interview? Would anyone be willing to share what programs they've received these communications from?

Sep 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have not sent cards nor emails to anybody. I just don't feel its really worth it. Am I wrong here? I mean, is it really going to make a difference? However, I do plan to tell my number 1 they are number 1 when it gets closer to ranking time.

AlexMorph

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
couple questions:

Take all communication you receive from programs with a grain of salt. Just like you want to match at the best programs, they are trying to match the best candidates.

I e-mailed my number 1 program only. I received an e-mail back within a couple days saying they would love to have me match there. I matched there. That's just my story. I'm sure it hasn't worked out that way for others.

I wouldn't bank on anything in this process. If you get an e-mail saying you are being ranked highly, that's nice, but it doesn't mean much until after you match there. Just keep playing the game.

AlexMorph

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have not sent cards nor emails to anybody. I just don't feel its really worth it. Am I wrong here? I mean, is it really going to make a difference? However, I do plan to tell my number 1 they are number 1 when it gets closer to ranking time.
I wouldn't say you are wrong. Plenty of people have matched at their top choices with no thank you emails. Plenty of people have matched while sending thank you emails. So, it is really up to you. I figure if a program invites me for an interview and feeds me, it doesn't hurt to send a short thank you email.

I would encourage thank you emails over letters. That way, you are much much more likely to get some sort of response back. I judged programs on the number/quality of responses I got back.

Programs that I hated after interviewing received no thank you emails from me. I wasted enough time/money/effort going there in the first place.