Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard good things about Kentucky and UPMC-Southside.

I've actually heard good things about UPMC as well and was hoping one of my externships might be able to take me there to scope it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually heard good things about UPMC as well and was hoping one of my externships might be able to take me there to scope it out.

I checked out UPMC-SS during the scramble and i thought it was an excellent program. Well rounded and you are trained by Pods and Ortho which is good because they are one of the best ortho residency programs in the country. So when people (especially MD's) hear that you trained there they know that you had excellent training. I chose JFK (fl) over it only due to the amount of trauma they see and rearfoot/ankle sx, but UPMC in my humble opinion was an excellent program.

It really has nothing to do with hours worked or stress. A surgical residency lives and dies by its surgical training and diversity. That has been the complaint. I know that some great research comes out of Seattle. But according to many that have passed through there, surgical volume and diversity isn't what it used to be (and I'm not sure why). You'll have to go check it out.

Yea, in the past, Swedish has put out some amazing physicians. So has Kern! :laugh:
Just out of curiousity, what made the Kern/SMSH program slip so far? It was the first DPM residency and used to be a powerhouse, right?

I'm sure I'm naive and missing something since the program failed to match anybody this year, but on paper (CASPR site info and program website), the program sounds good to me. While almost any program can sound good on paper, not many programs are approved to take five PMS-36 residents, and the director is well published (most articles are older but what director's aren't by now lol). The staff DPMs, resident pay/allowances, and case volume sound pretty good to me. Imagine being one of the only pod residents in a hospital approved to take up to five per year... I'd imagine that your surgical volume would be pretty damn good???

(anyone who has externed or knows anything, feel free to PM me if you wish... thanks)

I would not write off Swedish. They had an amazing showing at ACFAS. The residents there won 1st and 3rd in the research manuscripts and they also won a few awards in the poster competition...
Out of curiousity, how does the research manuscripts competition work? I can't really figure it out from reading on the website. Do all of the candidates get up there and read to us like it's open mic poetry night, do they give a PowerPoint, or are they just on the CD for people to read later and the winners awarded?

Out of curiousity, how does the research manuscripts competition work? I can't really figure it out from reading on the website. Do all of the candidates get up there and read to us like it's open mic poetry night, do they give a PowerPoint, or are they just on the CD for people to read later and the winners awarded?

A short power point presentation with questions from the crowd. The presentation is supposed to be a under a certain time (like 10-15 minutes), of course, some of the presenters like to hear themselves talk and ignored this (which was really annoying; 1 guy talked for about 30-45 minutes). They are judge by the manuscript NOT by the presentation, which I did not know. Many of the worst presenters were winners.

I checked out UPMC-SS during the scramble and i thought it was an excellent program. Well rounded and you are trained by Pods and Ortho which is good because they are one of the best ortho residency programs in the country. So when people (especially MD's) hear that you trained there they know that you had excellent training. I chose JFK (fl) over it only due to the amount of trauma they see and rearfoot/ankle sx, but UPMC in my humble opinion was an excellent program.
Palmetto (PGH) in Fl also sees a high amount of trauma. I'm actually going to extern there next month. I haven't checked out the JFK program yet. But I definately agree with MODPOD about UPMC being an excellent program. During my externship there, I learned so many things esp. during their lectures and workshops. I liked the fact of training under pods and orthos. It's very well-rounded program overall.

I guess my source was incorrect about the Scholl student that got INOVA. :)

****edited***** A SCPM guy did get into INOVA. He was my class mate and a real cool guy, but he loves to pimp (even in class... geez, like let up man). No, but we partied a lot together too, so he knows how to have fun. He's an avid runner (ultra-marathoner).

Another girl from SCPM is also there, she's a 2nd year now. She's totally cool and from Miami Oxford (OH).

if you have questions for him, search for him on Facebook. Plus on the match list for SCPM, there is a contact info.****edited*****

Just out of curiousity, what made the Kern/SMSH program slip so far? It was the first DPM residency and used to be a powerhouse, right?

I'm sure I'm naive and missing something since the program failed to match anybody this year, but on paper (CASPR site info and program website), the program sounds good to me. While almost any program can sound good on paper, not many programs are approved to take five PMS-36 residents, and the director is well published (most articles are older but what director's aren't by now lol). The staff DPMs, resident pay/allowances, and case volume sound pretty good to me. Imagine being one of the only pod residents in a hospital approved to take up to five per year... I'd imagine that your surgical volume would be pretty damn good???

(anyone who has externed or knows anything, feel free to PM me if you wish... thanks)

DO NOT go there!!! Kern was a great program back in teh day, but they were desperate in teh scramble and took the WORST person from my class last year, like the last place person that should NEVER have graduated (I'm leaving out his name, but every class has that).

Again, Kern was a great program and was one of the best, but taking that one person, almost single-handedly ruined their reputation about quality. Personally, I thought they should have just not taken anyone, cause that year was the worst as far as ratio # students/# spots for residencies, good for US, bad for the programs. There was roughly ~150 (don't quote me, but i'm sure you can ask CASPR/CRIP for actual numbers) more spots than students applying so it was a REAL odd year.

It will never be like that ever again.... so work your ass off!

Numbers are important of course, but take the ENTIRE program in prospective. There are a LOT of great programs out there and you will make/exceed/kill your surgical numbers at a lot of places. Distinguishing these is of course:
1. Quality (A vs B vs C)
2. Call time (how much of a life will you have, you can exceed the needed numbers and still have a life at a LOT of programs)
3. Diversity (are you doing the same bunion procedure or the same rearfoot reconstruction with the same attending or are you doing different ones with different ppl? plus, do you get exposure to other fields? plastics, ortho, vascular, etc? just be aware)
4. Location (are you doing it in the same central location, or do you travel a lot. Some programs require that you travel real far for numbers, sometimes even other states!!! (ex. DVA-North chicago/St. Joe's)

Be aware that numbers are important, get more specifics about HOW/WHAT these numbers really mean.

His name is Dr. Justin Faul. He's not that smart (j/k) :p. He was my class mate and a real cool guy, but he loves to pimp (even in class... geez, like let up man). No, but we partied a lot together too, so he knows how to have fun. He's an avid runner (ultra-marathoner).

Another girl, Anne Hsu from SCPM is also there, she's a 2nd year now. She's totally cool and from Miami Oxford (OH).

Justin (Juddy) has a facebook profile if you have questions for him. Plus on the match list for SCPM, there is a contact info.

Please be careful about posting people's names here. They may not want to be made public. Especially more information than just names.

bump for more input on residencies. Anyone go to St. Lukes Presby? Or Kaiser?

Members don't see this ad :)
bump for more input on residencies. Anyone go to St. Lukes Presby? Or Kaiser?
Aren't those mediocre programs still scrambling^? :D
j/k... I really gained a lot of insight and respect for PSL and Calif Kaisers at ACFAS in Long Beach this year. I'm not travelling that far for clerkships, but they sure do some very cutting edge stuff and have well read attendings out there.

I'd be pretty curious how AZPod's first class did in match. There was only about a dozen or so students, but I bet a lot of them wanted to stay out west. Maybe some of them clerked and ranked Swedish, PSL, Cali Kaisers, Legacy, etc? I'm sure the Phoenix VA also got competitive and selected dynamite incoming PGY-1s in this cycle.

Does anyone know if the program at Cedar-Sinai in LA is any good? The hospital is one of the best in LA, but I have not heard anyone commenting on the program. How and when do we actually know what to look for in a residency and if it is "good". When I was looking at the match list of the residencies by state, I was looking at the rotations each program provided (I would think more is better?) and the primary focus (as well as what each residency provided the resident each year), but what should one actually be looking at?

Aren't those mediocre programs still scrambling^? :D
j/k... I really gained a lot of insight and respect for PSL and Calif Kaisers at ACFAS in Long Beach this year. I'm not travelling that far for clerkships, but they sure do some very cutting edge stuff and have well read attendings out there.

I'd be pretty curious how AZPod's first class did in match. There was only about a dozen or so students, but I bet a lot of them wanted to stay out west. Maybe some of them clerked and ranked Swedish, PSL, Cali Kaisers, Legacy, etc? I'm sure the Phoenix VA also got competitive and selected dynamite incoming PGY-1s in this cycle.

From what I heard...
13 matched, 2 scrambled.
Don't know all programs, but from what I remember Tucson Va, Presby in Colorado, one of the Kaisers in Cali.
Not much info, but a little.

What is the opinion on city of angels in los angeles? Im starting to look at where i want to do externships and where i will visit and i see that program does something called a baja project and clubfoot surgeries which sounds cool. Is it a good program? Average? Crappy?

What is the opinion on city of angels in los angeles? Im starting to look at where i want to do externships and where i will visit and i see that program does something called a baja project and clubfoot surgeries which sounds cool. Is it a good program? Average? Crappy?

I have a friend at that program so it must be pretty awesome.

Does anyone know if the program at Cedar-Sinai in LA is any good? The hospital is one of the best in LA, but I have not heard anyone commenting on the program.

Along with Cedar-Sinai, does anyone know anything about the Kaiser Bay Area residency or DVA-Palo Alto program?

Along with Cedar-Sinai, does anyone know anything about the Kaiser Bay Area residency or DVA-Palo Alto program?

You can't go wrong with a Kaiser program. There is a good mix of pathology and the number of surgeries are very high for any of the programs. The attendings are well known in the field and you will get a very academic learning experience.

The only down side to the Kaiser programs is that they do involve alot of driving, depending on where you might live. With the price of gasoline over $4 in CA it can be a big factor in your decision, granted they also do have a very favorable salary.

I was checking out the Kaiser program in Santa Clara and it is located entirely at one hospital which would definitely save on gas. How much is the average rent for a 2-bdrm apartment in Cali these days, any idea? Also, how is the scope of practice out west? Is it pretty liberal for the most part?

I was checking out the Kaiser program in Santa Clara and it is located entirely at one hospital which would definitely save on gas. How much is the average rent for a 2-bdrm apartment in Cali these days, any idea? Also, how is the scope of practice out west? Is it pretty liberal for the most part?

Scope of practice is basically up to the hospital in cali. They have a pretty liberal state scope.

Cali has rediculously high rents and housing costs. Have fun with that!

How much is the average rent for a 2-bdrm apartment in Cali these days, any idea?

I would say for a decent apt in a nicer/safer area in the bay area you are probably looking at 1400-1600 per month. It could be a little more depending on the area and, the size of the place etc.

Scope of practice is basically up to the hospital in cali. They have a pretty liberal state scope.

Cali has rediculously high rents and housing costs. Have fun with that!

Krabmas, what is the living situation like around Inova? Pretty reasonable? How close are you guys to DC? In the end I know I am going to be paying more than I do right now since Des Moines is dirt cheap as far as renting goes!

Krabmas, what is the living situation like around Inova? Pretty reasonable? How close are you guys to DC? In the end I know I am going to be paying more than I do right now since Des Moines is dirt cheap as far as renting goes!

The DC area is one of the most expensive areas in the country. The further from DC you live in the suburbs the cheaper the rent but then it is a further commute to INOVA.

INOVA is located where 495, 66, 50 and 29 meet. If you google map it it is the pink square across the street from Mobil Oil Corporation. It is about 10-12 miles outside of DC.

In the past some residents have lived in DC. Now we all live in VA. Rent is cheaper and you get more space in VA than in DC.

Are you doing an externship here?

hopefully in like 3 years...I'm just a first year curious about different programs and areas I may be interested in moving to.

Any opinions for 2009 on what the top tier residencies are or aren't?

The best residency is one where you will learn to be a good practitioner, learn how to problem solve, and offer good service and advice to your patients. Meet the director and senior residents. The numbers may be excellent, but the head honchos may be aweful to work with. You'll learn a lot at any residency. Are you willing to be a slave to a mean senior resident to get those extraordinary surgical cases? Please be careful, go to a place you will enjoy, learn, and develop into a good practitioner and still remain a nice person. BTW, is anyone worried about the residency shortage?

Does the list of top programs just below the upper tier ever change? I would imagine places like Legacy, Sweds, West Penn, DMC, Inova, etc. stay at the level of great programs. But what about others and ones mentioned in the link above?

UT-SA changed directors when it lost Dr. Harkless. Is it still considered a great program?

What are some programs that provide excellent training but may be sleeper programs per say?

Does the list of top programs just below the upper tier ever change? I would imagine places like Legacy, Sweds, West Penn, DMC, Inova, etc. stay at the level of great programs. But what about others and ones mentioned in the link above?

UT-SA changed directors when it lost Dr. Harkless. Is it still considered a great program?

What are some programs that provide excellent training but may be sleeper programs per say?

UT is still a great program, but very specific in its education. They get their numbers, but do not go there for a broad education, it is meant for diabetic limb salvage.

What's the word on West Houston Medical Center's PM&S-36 in Houston? I think it is also called Harris County.

What's the word on West Houston Medical Center's PM&S-36 in Houston? I think it is also called Harris County.

I spoke to a few residents there. From what I heard, its a great program with less emphasis on RF trauma when comparing to programs like JPS. And they get their numbers at like the end of 2nd year.

For UT-SA, I heard their program has gone from "really" good to an "okay" program. I spoke to a few residents who did their externships there, and they didnt say a lot of positive things about the program.

I spent a month at San Antonio and really enjoyed it. I completely agree with Krabmas that it is very specific, however if you wish to go into limb salvage, reconstruction and revisional surgery I doubt many programs are on par with UTSA. I also really enjoyed the academic feel, quality lectures, journal club, and cadaver labs. If you want a bread and butter podiatry practice when you are finished with residency this is not the program for you.

I'm very familiar with the Presby 4 year program in Philadelphia. Any program that's associated with Dr. Michael Downey is going to be excellent. For those of you that don't know Dr. Downey, he's an excellent surgeon and teacher.

He was trained at Northlake when there weren't many 3 year programs, and was the editor of the 2nd edition of McGlammary's classic textbook. He was then the chairman of the dept of surgery at PCPM/Temple for many years prior to going into private practice and runs the residency. One of his partners in private practice is Scott Malay DPM, the editor of The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery.

Dr. Downey lectures all over the country/world and is a great guy.

I've also heard great things about Dr. Mendicino's program in Pittsburgh.

Make sure you do your homework. There are some really good programs out there that for various reasons do not have an externship or hit the residency fairs. They routinely put out great graduates who are offered great jobs and become national leaders. Read the CASPR information and if one seems good do some research.

Make sure you do your homework. There are some really good programs out there that for various reasons do not have an externship or hit the residency fairs. They routinely put out great graduates who are offered great jobs and become national leaders. Read the CASPR information and if one seems good do some research.

are there any programs that you would care to disclose that fit the description in your previous post. I'm always on the lookout for new programs.

are there any programs that you would care to disclose that fit the description in your previous post. I'm always on the lookout for new programs.

Go to casprcrip.org and download the 2010 list of participating and non-participating programs. The ones listed NP are not participating.