Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenal130

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering would ranking 4-5 programs enough to match IM for an AMG?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, just wondering would ranking 4-5 programs enough to match IM for an AMG?

statistically . . . yes should be, but as has been posted before ask yourself one simple question when deciding stop interviewing or not rank programs you have visited: "Would I rather not have a job for a year, than go to place X, Y, or Z for training".

If I were you, I would rank all the programs that I interviewed at unless you would rather take your chance with the scramble than match at that program. The match has a funny way of working out and based on your peripherals (USMLE, GPA, LORs) you probably won't end up going down to your 10, 11, 12th choice but why take the chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks you all for the reply. i thought that most amg g, et their 1st, 2nd, or at the least 3 rd choice? isn't it unusal for amg to get 5th or beyond in their ranking selection? how common for amg getting 5th or 7th choice?
thanks again

The match is funny.

I had looked this up before, and tried to figure it out... but couldnt.

Most... about 90% (off the top of my head) match in their top 4 (or so). So its almost as if you match into your top4, or not at all. I can't figure out why that is.

One explanation is the interview, where it serves to "un-rank" the applicant (happens about 10% of the time). Maybe the applicants who interview badly, do so everywhere.

So, either you'll get where you want, or the programs dont want you.

So, theoretically the OPs approach might work. But I wouldnt take that chance.