% rankings and 330 in QR?

mathymath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My 330 in QR was equal to 97.1%. Just wondering if anyone received a higher score than this, and why this high of a percentile wouldn't be equal to a higher standard score.

For example, in Gen Chem, I got a 340, but this was only equal to 88.6%.

Anyone know why the OAT is scored this way? Seems that standard scores should correlate to percentages all along the lines, right?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that you believe that the percentage should reflect the percent of correct answers on the test. Your standard scores are based solely on the range of correct answers on each section (exact numbers correct for a certain score vary per section of the test).

Percentages and percentiles are two different things. Percentile indicates that 97.1% of all OAT takers for the QR section scored your score or lower (only 2.9% scored anything higher). The percentile is basically like a ranking of your scores compared to other persons' scores. I do not know how many OAT takers your scores are compared to, or if it is for all those who took within the past test, past year, etc.

mathymath said:
My 330 in QR was equal to 97.1%. Just wondering if anyone received a higher score than this, and why this high of a percentile wouldn't be equal to a higher standard score.

Anyone know why the OAT is scored this way? Seems that standard scores should correlate to percentages all along the lines, right?

Thanks!

mathymath said:

Thanks!

Weird. I got a 390 in QR and it was a 97.5 percentile, and a 350 in gen chem, which was 88.5 percentile

That's one screwy lookin' bell curve.