rankings for residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find info about residency program rankings? Specifically Family Med. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked everywhere for FM rankings! What I've come to believe is that it must be so difficult to rank a specialty like FM that even if you find a rank list you should question the criteria used for ranking. It makes sense too. How can you rank programs for a specialty that covers everything?

As a student it's strange to imagine 'my practice,' but I get the impression that it really depends on what type of practice you want to have in the end. My buddy wanted lots of OB so he went to a program with that. I like internal medicine so I'm trying to get a program with lots of IM.

One piece of advice that uniformly comes up is to beware of programs with 100% FMGs. I don't know how true that is because I've met some OUTSTANDING FMGs. Additionally, you have to realize not many U.S. grads are going into FM so that tips the ratio anyway.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but I hope it helps...

There isn't any ranking I know of, and I'm glad there isn't one. Everyone needs to find the right program for him/her, based on geography, the nature of the program, and what you enjoy doing. Programs are really so different that absolute comparisons are not useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of your sentiments above are true. However, last week the US World & News Report did have a link on top FM residency programs/departments...

G'luck

All of your sentiments above are true. However, last week the US World & News Report did have a link on top FM residency programs/departments...

You probably mean this:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-medical-schools/familiy-medicine

The fact that Duke (which folded a couple of years ago and was subsequently revived) made the list at all makes me question their methodology. I seriously doubt that U.S. News is evaluating programs based on the criteria that a prospective resident would use.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably mean this:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-medical-schools/familiy-medicine

The fact that Duke (which folded a couple of years ago and was subsequently revived) made the list at all makes me question their methodology. I seriously doubt that U.S. News is evaluating programs based on the criteria that a prospective resident would use.

I don't know about their methodology but in just eyeballing the list, that list seems to reflect the institutions that publish well and do CME's around the country.

It's a great question though. In putting together a list I'm tending to avoid big Us like Duke because I'm coming from a big U and feel the FM program suffers for it despite being ranked very highly. I know our program is ranked well because of mucho NIH funding.

Most programs I'm looking at are unopposed. I did a couple rotations 3rd year and really appreciated how much more the residents got to be involved with patients. If you feel like you fit in and love the program, can anyone think of a downside to doing a residence at an unopposed community program that's affiliated with a university (i.e. great guest lecturers).

can anyone think of a downside to doing a residence at an unopposed community program that's affiliated with a university (i.e. great guest lecturers).

Other than disrespect from the U.S. News folks? No.

Dang it I guess I'm going to be an inferior doctor because I choose not to apply to any of the programson the list.

There is also a list for top teaching hospitals in the country. I am a third year at a opposed program in Texas. I think if you are going to look or rank an opposed program you have to look at the hospital they are associated with. You would also have to take into account how the program is set up. We have no interference with other programs.
As far as the us world and news report I have only eard fgood things from the Wisconsin program. But htey have a crappy call schedule ( Q4).

I know its not the sort of answer that the OP is probably looking for but it really depends what you want to do with FM. If your goal is wilderness medicine then some place like Montana or Alaska is probably the best training. If you want to do sections and some surgeries right out of residency then Ventura (also think I've heard of a place in Ft. Worth) would be better. In general I would avoid the only FMG places and large East Coast city programs.