Rankings, Int'l Public Health Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspirinPlease

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knew about rankings for international schools of public health. How does the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine rank against Cambridge or JHU or Harvard?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Rankings are pretty useless in differentiating between top-tier schools. If you'd like, you can check out USNews (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/pub/search) and see what they say (although obviously London will not be represented, it being US news and all), but those rankings are essentially meaningless. Have a little fun with them if you'd like, or use it to narrow a list of 20 potential applications down to 15, but don't take it too seriously, no one in the field does.

That being said, the scuttlebutt is that Harvard tends to be more focused on domestic issues, and Hopkins more global health oriented, but you can find all types of public health research at both places, including many, many others. For example, UWash has the benefit of massive amounts of Gates funding and I always hear great things about UNC.

Edit: Oops, I see you were asking about the international schools specifically. Sorry I can't be more helpful. But I would point out that rankings are even less meaningful when compared across boundaries. Your best bet would be to find a student from the school.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone knew about rankings for international schools of public health. How does the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine rank against Cambridge or JHU or Harvard?

Thanks!

hey, I am also not sure about rankings but I can tell you this... I did my MPH in Israel at Hebrew University. I studied with people from North and South America, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Asia. It was an amazing and unforgettable experience. Besides the fact that it is a 1 year program and most of the professors are incredible - - I have now made close connections with people from all over the world. If your goal is to be involved in the "global health community" - this school may be for you. PM for more info.