Rankings of D.O. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realtalk1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have been doing my research online and am having trouble finding a ranking system that ranks all D.O. schools comparatively to each other. Has anyone found something like that or know from past experience what the relative rankings are?

Members don't see this ad.

No true ranking.

Established schools>state schools>private schools> newer schools

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting, I guess I am just asking because I have two interviews lined up. I am from NJ and I have one later in January for Rowan and one in a week in Florida at Nova Southeastern. I was curious between those two, if one was particularly better than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, I guess I am just asking because I have two interviews lined up. I am from NJ and I have one later in January for Rowan and one in a week in Florida at Nova Southeastern. I was curious between those two, if one was particularly better than the other.
Search on SDN/Google Rowan vs. Nova. I guarantee this has been answered before.

No true ranking.

Established schools>state schools>private schools> newer schools

Slight disagreement, would put state schools over established private DO schools. Simply put due to resources and clinical training.

Basically, avoid newer schools if you can. If you can, pick with certain things in mind like a balanced pre-clinical curriculum, strong 3rd year rotations, in-house hospital, your personal fit, and $$$.

Reactions: 5 users
My school > the other schools that accepted me > the schools that I didn't apply to > the schools that rejected me but I didn't want to go to anyway because they're lame and stupid.

Serious answer: If you're a NJ resident, go to Rowan, full stop.

Reactions: 9 users
Slight disagreement, would put state schools over established private DO schools. Simply put due to resources and clinical training.

Basically, avoid newer schools if you can. If you can, pick with certain things in mind like a balanced pre-clinical curriculum, strong 3rd year rotations, in-house hospital, your personal fit, and $$$.
Strong rotations should be #1 factor. The only question I got about going to a DO school during residency interviews was about the quality of my clinical rotations.

That said, I think another important factor is distance from home. Also very important for your well being.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
To an ACGME PD, where you went to school doesn’t matter. The other thing that doesn’t matter is COMLEX (unless you fail).

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, I have been doing my research online and am having trouble finding a ranking system that ranks all D.O. schools comparatively to each other. Has anyone found something like that or know from past experience what the relative rankings are?
There is none. Ask five people for a rank, and you'll get six different answers.

These schools are among the top in their LizzyM scores...don't quote me on this...working off the top of my head
CCOM
AZCOM
RVU
Touro-CA
Western

I understand where you are coming from and I respectfully disagree in that some state schools simply arent big on research but they usually have good rotation sites. Its what you make of it and want out of it.

The general theme is, as you said, avoiding newer schools.

Even the advice of avoiding newer schools is too much of a blanket statement IMO. Newer schools like CUSOM and Marian seem to absolutely have their ish together.

Members don't see this ad :)
1: Liberty
2: William Carey
3: Burrell
4: Everything else

Reactions: 11 users
that some state schools simply arent big on research but they usually have good rotation sites.

MSU, OSU, Ohio, TCOM, and Rowan all have research opportunities that aren’t found at the other DO schools. So yeah the state schools may not necessarily be “big on research” but they offer a lot more opportunity and have a lot more resources than any other DO school not named PCOM.

MSU, OSU, Ohio, TCOM, and Rowan all have research opportunities that aren’t found at the other DO schools. So yeah the state schools may not necessarily be “big on research” but they offer a lot more opportunity and have a lot more resources than any other DO school not named PCOM.

Your point? I never disagreed completely. Youll have a difference in opinion no matter how you slice this pie. It depends what you are out to get as a student. Some want research some dont but either way thats how I looked at schools when I applied because it fit my bill, that may not be the case for you.

To an ACGME PD, where you went to school doesn’t matter. The other thing that doesn’t matter is COMLEX (unless you fail).

Fun fact, in the res director reputation survey the highest rated DO program came in equal or above 22 MD programs (not counting Puerto Rican schools).

1: Liberty
2: William Carey
3: Burrell
4: Everything else
I woud agree with liberty being number 1, but the rest idk. Especially burell?? What's your rationale for ranking burell so high?

I woud agree with liberty being number 1, but the rest idk. Especially burell?? What's your rationale for ranking burell so high?

If anything it should be number 2, Breaking Bad is legit.

Fun fact, in the res director reputation survey the highest rated DO program came in equal or above 22 MD programs (not counting Puerto Rican schools).

Where did you find this? Do you have a link (asking out of curiosity).

I'd throw CCOM onto that list as well. They practically make research mandatory now.

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you find this? Do you have a link (asking out of curiosity).

Link to source?

You can see it with a paid US News subscription so I can't publicly show the exact numbers. But here is the general list,
same line means equal score:

• Oklahoma State University, Southern Illinois University—Springfield, Florida State University, Howard University, University of Nevada, University of North Dakota, Mercer University
  • University of South Dakota (Sanford), East Tennessee State University (Quillen), Marshall University (Edwards)
  • Morehouse School of Medicine, University of South Alabama, Western Michigan University
  • University of Central Florida, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University (Wertheim), Central Michigan University, Oakland University
  • Quinnipiac University
  • Meharry Medical College, The Commonwealth Medical College
  • California Northstate University
Efle was the first to point this out in a thread earlier this year and I credit him with the list.

According to US News, here is the definitive ranking:

1. Harvard MD
2. Stanford MD
3. Johns Hopkins MD
4. All Other MD
5. All DO

DO ranking posts are never-ending on SDN.

According to US News, here is the definitive ranking:

1. Harvard MD
2. Stanford MD
3. Johns Hopkins MD
4. All Other MD
5. All DO

DO ranking posts are never-ending on SDN.

Ya forgot carib MD schools too. That ofcourse is its own “category”?

Michigan State.

We're nationally ranked in football and basketball. Easily #1.

Michigan State.

We're nationally ranked in football and basketball. Easily #1.

True, basketball gives you the edge. If we had a defense our football team would have gone to the playoff, and even then I think ours is better than yours this season ;)

Rankings most can agree on:

Top tier:
the original 5 & state schools

Middle tier:
schools that opened in the 70's

Bottom tier:
Newest schools

Reactions: 3 users
Rankings most can agree on:

Top tier:
the original 5 & state schools

Middle tier:
schools that opened in the 70's

Bottom tier:
Newest schools
I have been wondering about WVSOM, because it is a state school from the 70s, so seems like it would be regarded well. It also has solid a solid set of affiliated residencies. Given how primary care-focused the school is, I don't know if it actually should be considered top tier for those wanting to leave all options open (nothing wrong with primary care though). Does anyone know what their residency placements look like? I have looked extensively several times on their website and have not been able to find it.

I have been wondering about WVSOM, because it is a state school from the 70s, so seems like it would be regarded well. It also has solid a solid set of affiliated residencies. Given how primary care-focused the school is, I don't know if it actually should be considered top tier for those wanting to leave all options open (nothing wrong with primary care though). Does anyone know what their residency placements look like? I have looked extensively several times on their website and have not been able to find it.

The primary care focus shouldn’t be factored into considering something “top tier.” I would only look at resources. For a “state” school they have a lack of research and their rotations are solid but aren’t to the level of the other state schools. I say “state” because my understanding is that they are not completely state funded. I do want to add that they did, however, thoroughly impress me during my interview last year and that I would have probably gone there if i didn’t get into the school I am currently at. They do happen to also have at least a few “wow” matches every year which is interesting and better than a lot of other schools. Think stuff like vascular surgery and MD urology.

The primary care focus shouldn’t be factored into considering something “top tier.” I would only look at resources. For a “state” school they have a lack of research and their rotations are solid but aren’t to the level of the other state schools. I say “state” because my understanding is that they are not completely state funded. I do want to add that they did, however, thoroughly impress me during my interview last year and that I would have probably gone there if i didn’t get into the school I am currently at. They do happen to also have at least a few “wow” matches every year which is interesting and better than a lot of other schools. Think stuff like vascular surgery and MD urology.
Thank you for the info. I think I’ll pm you with some questions if that’s okay.

True, basketball gives you the edge. If we had a defense our football team would have gone to the playoff, and even then I think ours is better than yours this season ;)

I can't ever take B12 seriously with the basketball-esque scores in the football games.

MSU, Oklahoma State, and Ohio University have stadiums. Top three right there.

I can't ever take B12 seriously with the basketball-esque scores in the football games.

Just wait until Gundy leaves and we hire someone like Mike Leach. Shootouts every week. However, I might just lose it if the committee somehow finds a way to put Ohio State in the playoff after the beat down they took from Iowa.

I know we all want to brag about how the DO program that accepted us is top "ranked" but... Every practicing DO I spoke to advised me to go to the cheapest program in an area I could enjoy living for the next four years. None of them raised any concerns about going into a specialty other than board scores and interviews. Unless things have changed, I don't see how we can really rank DO programs in any practical manner. I doubt candidate X with lower board scores/CV will be matched for residency over Candidate Y with higher board scores/CV simply because candidate X attended a more "established" program. We all want to say "yeh.. but its a top ranked DO program" when people question why we're not going for MD. Unless attending a "ranked" DO program has any bearing on my future potential to match, I could not care less.

Ranking D.O. schools are pointless.... no one needs to feel superior/inferior to someone else. But with that said, more practically speaking, just ask which schools you're comparing between (i.e. have interviews or more preferably acceptances) to see which would be a better fit for you.

The best DO school's are the one that accept you :eyebrow:

Reactions: 9 users