RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am pale. I must say a decade in los angeles darkened my skin ever so slightly to an almost healthy hue.

When I was younger (we are talking middle school age), I used to get SO tan. It was ridiculous how dark I got. Then there was one spring/summer of not going into the sun because I didn't want to be tan. I have been pale ever since, it is like my body say "Ha ha! Too late! No tan for you!"

Members don't see this ad.

I am pale. I must say a decade in los angeles darkened my skin ever so slightly to an almost healthy hue.

I have always been pale, but living in the land of darkness, I have turned translucent. The sun burns my retinas.

Oh and Petpony...make sure you see a derm at some point. I had to have some pre cancerous moles removed last year, most likely due to my lobster coloured burns as a child.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and Petpony...make sure you see a derm at some point. I had to have some pre cancerous moles removed last year, most likely due to my lobster coloured burns as a child.

This is definitely on my to-do in the near future list. I have a few spots I definitely want checked out. Wouldn't be surprised if they're nothing, but would much rather pay the co-pay and know they're nothing (or get something done about it early if it is something!).
Have a few peeling burns in my past. The second really bad one I had when I got my physical done before undergrad and the doctor told me, "well, at least now you've learned, and you'll never get burnt like this again." Didn't tell her I had done the same thing the previous summer...

This is definitely on my to-do in the near future list. I have a few spots I definitely want checked out. Wouldn't be surprised if they're nothing, but would much rather pay the co-pay and know they're nothing (or get something done about it early if it is something!).
Have a few peeling burns in my past. The second really bad one I had when I got my physical done before undergrad and the doctor told me, "well, at least now you've learned, and you'll never get burnt like this again." Didn't tell her I had done the same thing the previous summer...

Make sure you do. I wish I would have gone earlier. Now I have an ugly scar :(

Make sure you do. I wish I would have gone earlier. Now I have an ugly scar :(

My entire shoulder is a big scar from mine. Go as soon as you can. They told me if I had waited another 2 months, it would have metastasized into my bone :scared: There is a nice chunk from my shoulder.

I am pale as well (obviously if I've had skin cancer already :rolleyes:) so I feel y'alls pain. Burn, freckle, peel, repeat. :cool: And I'm from FL :laugh:. My grandma always says "For someone who lives in FL, you sure are pastey!"... Thanks, Grandma :rolleyes:

My entire shoulder is a big scar from mine. Go as soon as you can. They told me if I had waited another 2 months, it would have metastasized into my bone :scared: There is a nice chunk from my shoulder.

Okay, y'all are officially freaking me out. Off to search for a dermatologist.

Sorry, I'm not trying to freak you out, just make you aware. I thought I was an invincible 22 year old who burned a few times... not so much :(.
Skin cancer runs in my family terribly though, so you may not have that added in. My brother had his first actual melanoma (not pre-melanoma!) removed when he was 15! My grandpa's ear is now a wax figure (got cut off) and my dad has had 7 cut off :(. So maybe you don't have to worry as much as me, but now I stay pale for my health's sake.

Not trying to freak you out!! I just wish I had known my moles had such potential to cause trouble when I was younger. I would have used more sunscreen! Basically, if you have one that worries you (perhaps fits into the ABCs of skin cancer...size color abnormal shape etc) go get it checked! Usually nothing, but it is nice to know for sure.

Oh believe me you are not alone. I too suffer from being very pale, so much so that the lifeguards I used to work with (all tan-skinned) would question if I was a vampire :rolleyes: Even though I live (and have lived for almost 20 yrs.) in the desert parts of Texas where the summers reach triple digits regularly, I'm still pale. Oh and I can't tan without burning my skin first. Just doesn't happen for me...

Maybe I should quit going to school up here in the north where I lose any tan I had in like 2 weeks.

I am also very pale. I have a raised birth mark/mole the size of a half dollar on my side, right next to a huge shingles scar. My doctor told me it will probably turn cancerous but does not want to remove it yet. Huh.

I am also very pale. I have a raised birth mark/mole the size of a half dollar on my side, right next to a huge shingles scar. My doctor told me it will probably turn cancerous but does not want to remove it yet. Huh.

Uh...what? That seems counter-intuitive. The excision isn't amazingly fun (I had 9 stitches for a mole smaller than a pea)...but why not sooner rather than later?

I like my birth mark on my wrist though. I hope it stays happy. It's heart shaped :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My boyfriend decided to just break up with me. Now I have a 2 hour bus ride to get to my car and then an hour drive from that point.

So sorry orca :( Sounds like it was out of the blue too. What a bummer.

My boyfriend decided to just break up with me. Now I have a 2 hour bus ride to get to my car and then an hour drive from that point.

Orca :(:(:( Sorry girl. Boys are lame.

I did however just notice your status change....Major congrats on OK!

So sorry orca :( Sounds like it was out of the blue too. What a bummer.

A little bit. I could tell things were a little off but I thought it might have been cause he's graduating in like two weeks but i guess not. He decided we make better friends. And I'm sure part of it is me moving to Oklahoma in the fall.

A little bit. I could tell things were a little off but I thought it might have been cause he's graduating in like two weeks but i guess not. He decided we make better friends. And I'm sure part of it is me moving to Oklahoma in the fall.

Oh Orca, I am so sorry. That really sucks. :(

Time to come party in Oklahoma with nothing holding you back! Hopefully your class will have more cute, single guys than mine does.
(It sucks but I'm trying to look on the bright side for you- hang in there!)

I'm pretty sure the BF and I are cutting it off when I go to vet school... well, WE aren't cutting it off, *I* am .
Sorry to hear Orca :(. Like cowgirla said, having a fresh start can sometime be exactly what you need and will be much easier in a whole new environment!
Just keep reminding yourself.... you're gonna be a vet :D

Time to come party in Oklahoma with nothing holding you back! Hopefully your class will have more cute, single guys than mine does.
(It sucks but I'm trying to look on the bright side for you- hang in there!)

Whaaaat. Don't date classmates if you can help it. It's usually a recipe for fail (although cowgirla's class does have a rather cute couple that seems to defy that).

Whaaaat. Don't date classmates if you can help it. It's usually a recipe for fail (although cowgirla's class does have a rather cute couple that seems to defy that).

Who said anything about dating? ;)

We've got a few couples. Only 1 started pre-vet school. The other 3 that I know about are post-vet-school-starting.

Rant: I'm so ready to be done with embryology. This time tomorrow, it'll be over with. For now, I'm just massively bored with it and frustrated (damn aortic arches!) and running really low on motivation.

Sorry to hear Orca :(. Like cowgirla said, having a fresh start can sometime be exactly what you need and will be much easier in a whole new environment!
Just keep reminding yourself.... you're gonna be a vet :D

I couldn't have said it any better. There's nothing fun about a break up, but there are new beginnings and big doings for you on the horizon <3 I always wanted to beat people with sticks when they'd tell me something annoyingly positive right after a break up, but I hope in a little time, that will be what gets you through!

Orca2011 i am so sorry :( Buy a big bottle of wine (or hard liquor whatever you fancy;) ), lots of brownies and cookies, get a good cry out, and take on tomorrow the best you can. Break ups suck. No sugar coating that one. But you're about to start the BEST chapter of your life. And if he doesn't want to be in that part, then it's his loss not yours. It's an amazing accomplishment to get to where you are today and he doesn't know what he's missing out on. Like everyone says just keep reminding yourself about vet school and all the fun Oklahoma is going to be!!!! On to bigger and better things!!

Thanks everyone. Wish I could just drink a bottle of wine but I have to be up for work at 6:30 AM.

Apparently he knew we had an expiration date,which I kind of did too based on a previous relationship but I wasn't expecting it to happen now, but didn't want to do anything yet cause it was in the middle of me getting rejected from schools and not being able to find a job. Not sure if that makes me feel better for worse. And he had also invited me to his friend's bday celebration in two weeks even though he had intentions of ending things, but just didn't know when. I just don't really have any words. Wish I had just gotten on the bus without even saying anything to him or punched him in the balls.

Thanks everyone. Wish I could just drink a bottle of wine but I have to be up for work at 6:30 AM.

Apparently he knew we had an expiration date,which I kind of did too based on a previous relationship but I wasn't expecting it to happen now, but didn't want to do anything yet cause it was in the middle of me getting rejected from schools and not being able to find a job. Not sure if that makes me feel better for worse. And he had also invited me to his friend's bday celebration in two weeks even though he had intentions of ending things, but just didn't know when. I just don't really have any words. Wish I had just gotten on the bus without even saying anything to him or punched him in the balls.

What a jerk:mad:. Sounds like someone I dated over the summer. Similar circumstances. The best thing you can do is move on and be happy. That will show him. He's missing out on a lot.You are going to be a vet! He's not.:smuggrin:
Spend a lot of time with friends and family, and look forward to what's going to happen within the next few months. There is nothing more exciting than moving to a new place to start new. You will be surrounded by people who love what you love- animals and medicine. You have the awesome TT, Lissa, and cowgirla (among many awesome others!) to guide you through the transition.
Good luck and try hard to keep your mind off of it.:luck::love:

That sucks. Thinking of you here in Philly. Things will get better. :) *hug*

I am so, so sorry orca!!!!!! No offense to men who read this, but men suck. I have been having terrible man problems (I just can't seem to walk away) so I can totally commiserate with you. He is a stupid person for missing out on time with you!!!!!

My Mom just told me that my almost 17 year old dog hasn't eaten in the past 3 days and it sounds like my Mom has pretty much given up on her. I am so upset. I can't stop crying. She's suffering and I can't be there with her. :cry:..

My Mom just told me that my almost 17 year old dog hasn't eaten in the past 3 days and it sounds like my Mom has pretty much given up on her. I am so upset. I can't stop crying. She's suffering and I can't be there with her. :cry:..
I'm sorry psilt :( It is a blessing and curse to have them so long because you get so, so attached.

I am so, so sorry orca!!!!!! No offense to men who read this, but men suck. I have been having terrible man problems (I just can't seem to walk away) so I can totally commiserate with you. He is a stupid person for missing out on time with you!!!!!

I think there's also a pretty strong case to be made for the choices women make in men.

But feel free to pin it on the gender, if it gets you through the day.

This happened to me too during my senior year. It's pooey. Why even tell us??

It will be a good thing. Trust me. But I'm so sorry. Being dumped sucks, and he's obviously the one missing out.

I think there's also a pretty strong case to be made for the choices women make in men.

I think that there are *****s of both genders and nobody is perfect and also dislike the whole "men do this, women do that" trope that is the domain of tired, unfunny sitcoms.

No I know this is totally my thing. Just a blanket rant/tasteless joke since I wasn't the only one having man trouble. I totally did not mean to offend anyone. And you are totally right.

I think that there are *****s of both genders and nobody is perfect and also dislike the whole "men do this, women do that" trope that is the domain of tired, unfunny sitcoms.

Totally hate when all my guy friends claim all women are bat**** crazy.

No. You just enjoy dating that personality until it doesn't work for you. Find someone else on the other side of the spectrum.

Same can be said for men too.

Umm... So I'm just gonna put myself in timeout in the corner and remove my foot from my mouth lol. It was a bad joke :rolleyes:

I knew what you meant. But there are good ones out there! Just not my cousin lol. Such a spoiled man slut.

Dear random classmates whose names I do not know,

When you are asked to give a 12-15 minute presentation, please practice so you know you can fit into the allocated time. Do NOT continue talking well over 20 minutes and then take 3 questions from the audience. I did not dress up today for ****s and giggles. My group was scheduled to present today. We would have liked to stick to that schedule.

Sincerely,
:mad:

Had a dog go crazy in the exam room this morning and attacked my foot. Luckily, I was able to scoot my toes out of the way and he only clamped down on my shoe. It took the owner a good 30 seconds to get the dog off of me - a 50lb English Bulldog. If that would have been my foot or any other body part, I would have had broken bones and lots of lacerated tissue. He wasn't letting go for anything - and apparently he has been lashing out randomly like this for 9 mos. We are referring him to a behaviorist/neurologist - DVM thinks he may have a brain tumor.

Needless to say, I'm a little shook up.

Had a dog go crazy in the exam room this morning and attacked my foot. Luckily, I was able to scoot my toes out of the way and he only clamped down on my shoe. It took the owner a good 30 seconds to get the dog off of me - a 50lb English Bulldog. If that would have been my foot or any other body part, I would have had broken bones and lots of lacerated tissue. He wasn't letting go for anything - and apparently he has been lashing out randomly like this for 9 mos. We are referring him to a behaviorist/neurologist - DVM thinks he may have a brain tumor.

Yikes! Poor you. And poor pup :(. Hope things go well for him :xf:

Dear random classmates whose names I do not know,

When you are asked to give a 12-15 minute presentation, please practice so you know you can fit into the allocated time. Do NOT continue talking well over 20 minutes and then take 3 questions from the audience. I did not dress up today for ****s and giggles. My group was scheduled to present today. We would have liked to stick to that schedule.

Sincerely,
:mad:

There's a point where the professor should cut them off. Majorly annoying.

Yikes! We had a giant german shepherd (112lbbs) do this from the shelter I work for. The family that adopted him said that one day he just snapped and tried to kill them they managed to use a matress to get him in a bathroom until AC could come and traquilize him. It was later determined that he had a huge brain tumor. Sad day.

Yikes! We had a giant german shepherd (112lbbs) do this from the shelter I work for. The family that adopted him said that one day he just snapped and tried to kill them they managed to use a matress to get him in a bathroom until AC could come and traquilize him. It was later determined that he had a huge brain tumor. Sad day.

Terrible :cry:

So this morning I fell going up the escalator...... Get your laughs out now. Was running up the escalator to catch the train, scraped my leg, and then not two minutes later I stubbed my toe. Can I go home?

So this morning I fell going up the escalator...... Get your laughs out now. Was running up the escalator to catch the train, scraped my leg, and then not two minutes later I stubbed my toe. Can I go home?

I say yes! (Though I don't think my authority is widely recognized :rolleyes:)

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

I'm struggling to get a B in my animal science class. I'll have to do almost perfect to get that. I don't know what the problem is, but I just can't seem to do good in that class. It's really not even that hard.

But this will bring me under a 3.0, which is the minimum GPA for the bet school guarantee program and to get HOPE in Georgia. My mom will be pissed, because she might not be able to pay for my classes and doesn't want to let me take out loans. I guess I can do that without her, too, but still.

I'm trying to find a job now for the summer and hope that I can make enough money for next semester at least.

I'm so mad at myself.