RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for the bat one.... would you have to get the antiserum stomach shots?? hmmm

I'm pretty sure they don't do those anymore. It should just be the IM in the arm ones. Same exact vaccines you get for pre-exposure, except you have to get 2 extras. Really important that you say the bat got away though, otherwise they'll just want a body to test and it won't work!

Members don't see this ad.

Done with the trial!! I just want to say this here; be smart people!! You don't need to live in fear, but lock your doors and take caution when you go out drinking. Boys don't let friends/ girls walk home alone, girls don't put yourselves in dangerous situations. And DON'T wear headphnes and listen to music while walking home. This is so dangerous. You can't hear people following you or even traffic.

I am sorry about your grandpa breenie. My gpa is 93 and drives my mom crazy. I just want to see him all the time cause I know my mom gets mad at him and her probably doesn't have much time left.

Members don't see this ad :)
We found the defendant guilty of quite a few charges and once we were done the prosecuters told us that he had previously be charged of sexual assault on a minor. I am just so happy to be part of a process to help put away a dangerous man. Very creepy though because this happened just a few blocks from my house at the time and from the CSU campus.

We found the defendant guilty of quite a few charges and once we were done the prosecuters told us that he had previously be charged of sexual assault on a minor. I am just so happy to be part of a process to help put away a dangerous man. Very creepy though because this happened just a few blocks from my house at the time and from the CSU campus.

Definitely a cool experience! :thumbup: Nice job!

Re: rabies...
1. Protocol is going to depend on the state so what is true is one state may not be true in another.
2. In PA, post exposure, you would need to get the Ig treatment as well as the vaccinations.
3. I just don't think it's okay to try to lie your way into getting the shots... not a good habit to get into as a future vet IMHO, and a waste of extra shots and Ig for people that really need them.

1. Protocol is going to depend on the state so what is true is one state may not be true in another.
2. In PA, post exposure, you would need to get the Ig treatment as well as the vaccinations.
3. I just don't think it's okay to try to lie your way into getting the shots... not a good habit to get into as a future vet IMHO, and a waste of extra shots and Ig for people that really need them.

I was just kidding lol. Just some comical relief from my frustrations :D

i'm pretty sure Ig + 4 post vaccines is the CDC protocol that is followed

Done with the trial!! I just want to say this here; be smart people!! You don't need to live in fear, but lock your doors and take caution when you go out drinking. Boys don't let friends/ girls walk home alone, girls don't put yourselves in dangerous situations. And DON'T wear headphnes and listen to music while walking home. This is so dangerous. You can't hear people following you or even traffic.

I know you've been in a courtroom hearing about bad stuff and you have great intentions, but this sort of advice is patronizing at best and victim-blaming at worst. It has an undercurrent of implying that some of the blame for the crime falls on the victim when this is not true and is really harmful to people who have been victims of crimes.

I was just kidding lol. Just some comical relief from my frustrations :D

while procrastinating studying for my anatomy exam...

"All vaccinations will be made available to you during your Vet Med Orientation in August. There is a charge for these required immunizations/tests.

NOTE: The rabies vaccinations may cause muscle soreness and low grade fevers. For this reason, you may want to consider getting these three injections from your private health care provider or local health department over the summer. You can also do this in the SHCC’s Special Clinics area on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 to 11:30 a.m. or 1 to 4 p.m."

if you're really having that much trouble getting someone to order you the series (which is just absurd, come on health care people!!), your school offers it :)

I know you've been in a courtroom hearing about bad stuff and you have great intentions, but this sort of advice is patronizing at best and victim-blaming at worst. It has an undercurrent of implying that some of the blame for the crime falls on the victim when this is not true and is really harmful to people who have been victims of crimes.

Pretty much my exact thoughts when reading that reply as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
****ty day with work, ferret got bopped by roomie's cat and was non-weight bearing on her hind leg for a while (better now), had to pick up drunk friends from downtown, still have a paper to write by the morning (5am now).

Feeling introspective, disjointed and moody, getting tired of underselling myself in favor of modesty.

I'm not used to failure, I guess. :thumbdown:

I have my lab practical for chemistry in an hour. Ugh.

Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear I was being funny. But I have to say when I needed to get pre-exposure since I'm regularly dealing with rabies vectors, it was going to cost me $1800 for three shots. I would have understood that when there was a shortage a few years ago, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't now. So that's pretty ridiculous for someone that's actually at risk. I really don't understand why it can be SO hard to find someone to give you the vaccine. It took me months of calling around to finally find some place. And I lucked out and insurance covered it. So emiloo, I understand your frustration! Hopefully you can just get them in the fall when you start school and hopefully they won't cost you an arm and a leg...

No worries guys... I wasn't meaning to aim that at anyone in particular or realize it was a joke. I just know there are a lot of people reading this site and wouldn't want someone to try it since all the cool pre vet kids are doing it :p

yeah the ethical stickiness of it would keep me from actually doing it... but the finances of paying for it do make the bat thing tempting. I just feel like insurance companies are really ridiculous sometimes...

I am absolutly not intending to blame the victim but it is very impotant for people to understand that they can and should try to avoid puting themselves in dangerous situations. If you leave your keys in the ignition of your car and the door open, and a person takes it, that is still theft, but you certainly made it easier for them. I just want us all to be careful and to realize that we can take steps to avoid these things. Will they still happen? Probably. Is it in any way the victim's fault? NO.

Hi all,
I wasn't sure where to put this question, but as it's pre-occupying me, I felt "rant here" might be most appropriate :p

Basically, my first semester of Gen. Chem I didn't do well. (I got a C with both lecture/lab combined). I go to a rather difficult school where only chem majors take the Gen. Chem II lab/lecture so I decided to postpone taking that class (I already had taken orgo) and re-take Gen. Chem I to get a better grade, and after that take Gen. Chem II. However, this alone would make me have to take at least 1 semester off after I graduate undergrad.
The reason I didn't do so well in Gen Chem was because that year I was having medical issues, so I was constantly going to the doctor and my medicine went haywire on me, so my cognition levels were not like where they should have been. I plan on somehow explaining this in the appropriate section on my applications.
However, what are people's opinions on re-taking this class? Will it look better if I do better the 2nd time around, or is re-taking a class just a bad idea in general?
My dream schools are UPenn and Ross (however, I'm a NY resident so I feel my chances of getting into Penn are minimal), and I'm wondering if anyone knows if either schools have ever made statements about re-taking a class?

I guess "smart" is probably the word you are reacting to. I should replace it with "not naive".

I just want to point out that in no way am I blaming these vitims. If I did I would not have voted guilty for the abuser. The defense attempted to blame the victim that drank and said that it was consentual, but as a jury we saw through that. I think these victims are so incredibly brave for coming forward with their attacks and for testifying in front of the man that attacked them. I have so much admiration for them and do not think any less of them for their actions prior to, during, or after their attacks. This man did terrible things and should be completely held responsible for his actions.
I was merely attempting to point out that these bad things do happen. Apparently he went door to door attempting to find one unlocked, and the ones that were allowed him to enter and conduct his activities. Is it their fault that this happened because they left their doors unlocked. Absolutly not. He made the descision to enter. He is at fault. Everyone makes mistakes. You should not feel bad that a mistake that you made allowed or facilitated someone to do something bad. It is not your fault.

I was merely attempting to point out that these bad things do happen. Apparently he went door to door attempting to find one unlocked, and the ones that were allowed him to enter and conduct his activities.

This is actually a perfect example to illustrate what I'm saying. All of those people who had their doors locked....they stopped crime against themselves, sure. But did they stop crime from occurring? Obviously not. If a criminal is determined to commit some crime against a random person, the criminal is going to do it. If all the doors they go to one night are locked, they'll go a different night. If no person is walking home alone on one street, they'll go to the next. People have been telling other people to "be careful" and "stay safe" since forever, and it obviously makes no difference, and I am lately of the opinion that it may actually do more harm than good. Especially when it is preferentially directed towards women.

It is a quick fire way to make me mad. It is more the singling me out and then making the "sacrifice" of letting me have a slice.

That would make me want to punch him the gonads.

This, on top of your imminent WW death, would doubly piss me off ;)

The more I think about this whole getting laid off at work thing the more angry, upset and confused I get. I really think there's some other bullsh*t going on that I'm just not privy too. None of it makes sense. I was only working 5 hours a week, but I always cover when they ask me to. Now they have 5 full time technicians and no part timers. So that means that any time someone calls out someone has to go into overtime to cover. And who's going to want to cover when they're already working a 40 hour week? Doesn't it make more sense just to give me 5 hours a week so I can cover when they need me?

They are notorious for firing people for very petty reasons, and at any other time I would expect it, but I don't get it now. The owner doesn't like me much because I often disagree with her regarding our wildlife policies. She's the founder of the wildlife clinic that's attached to the vet hospital but isn't involved in any animal care. I work on both sides. She asks my opinion and I give it to her, it just happens to not be the opinion she wanted so she dislikes me for it. (She has a tendency towards making animals tame and not protecting public health as well as she should) But she and I have been getting a long really well lately, so I just have no freaking clue. It's so frustrating and really messes up my plans...

Bad week -_-

I have decided to buy a whole apple pie & tub of vanilla ice cream for myself.... and then I want to go to the cajun restaurant and eat some more.

harrumph.

Just found out my ex boyfriend from high school got into John Hopkin's Medical School...dammit!:rolleyes:

PP- major hugs, girl.

Thomas?? :-D

No, Thomas is probably stoned and playing video games right now...wasting his life away.+pity+:bang::boom::beat:

Said ex boyfriend is a genius and is going to cure cancer. And recently came out as gay. DAMMIT again.