RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ask and ye shall receive :) Important to note that you need to have some form of income, so I think most students likely won't qualify... or they'll consider your student loans income and you still probably won't qualify. It's pretty awesome for new grads though... if you're old enough :mad:

Looks like if you don't have a child, you need to make less than ~$15,000. Oh well. I'm hoping to work (very) part-time in vet school/summers, so maybe I'll get some nice tax breaks then :)

Edit: My taxes are simple so I use H&R block for free online, and they already consider this credit (and new I wouldn't qualify). But they have been good about getting me other educational credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like if you don't have a child, you need to make less than ~$15,000. Oh well. I'm hoping to work (very) part-time in vet school/summers, so maybe I'll get some nice tax breaks then :)

Edit: My taxes are simple so I use H&R block for free online, and they already consider this credit (and new I wouldn't qualify). But they have been good about getting me other educational credits.
That's interesting. I went all the way through the simulator (noting that I didn't have a child) and it said I qualified except for the problem with my age. I'll have to ask my accountant about it either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg....I swear I have misophonia ...noises that shouldn't bother me do. This old fart next to me keeps making some sound somewhere between a homing pigeon and a guinea pig.... I'm about to lose it.

Reactions: 4 users
So last semester when I was planning my schedule I asked my advisor "hey I really want to graduate next Fall. Can I take senior seminar next fall?" And she assured me that I would definitely be able to take this course in the fall (because she teaches it!). Aaaaaaand they're not offering the course next semester. So that's pretty ****ty.

Idk it was a big thing to me that I was going to graduate in 3 1/2 years with my Biochemistry and Molecular biology degree with honors (having enough credits to finish my dual degree in the honors college). I've been spending lots of time in the lab this semester to finish my thesis, and I was good to go, and then all of a sudden, the Biochem department pulls this bull**** and now I can't graduate when I wanted to.

ALSO my scholarship is set to expire this semester and I'm OOS, so I'm out like an extra $10,000 because of it.

I was also looking forward to taking some time out of school and diving into a research project full time/ work for different types of vet. So UGH.

:mad::rage::punch:

So last semester when I was planning my schedule I asked my advisor "hey I really want to graduate next Fall. Can I take senior seminar next fall?" And she assured me that I would definitely be able to take this course in the fall (because she teaches it!). Aaaaaaand they're not offering the course next semester. So that's pretty ****ty.

Idk it was a big thing to me that I was going to graduate in 3 1/2 years with my Biochemistry and Molecular biology degree with honors (having enough credits to finish my dual degree in the honors college). I've been spending lots of time in the lab this semester to finish my thesis, and I was good to go, and then all of a sudden, the Biochem department pulls this bull**** and now I can't graduate when I wanted to.

ALSO my scholarship is set to expire this semester and I'm OOS, so I'm out like an extra $10,000 because of it.

I was also looking forward to taking some time out of school and diving into a research project full time/ work for different types of vet. So UGH.

That's a load of BS. Sorry cdoc:(

Ask to sub in a different course. They should work with you especially since you've been talking to your advisor and it's not your fault they screwed up your schedule. Is there a different biology-based senior seminar you can take? Talk to your department.

Ask to sub in a different course. They should work with you especially since you've been talking to your advisor and it's not your fault they screwed up your schedule. Is there a different biology-based senior seminar you can take? Talk to your department.
I'll talk to them, but I highly doubt it. I emailed my advisor but she hasn't gotten back with me yet. I probably couldn't take another senior seminar because this is the senior seminar/ capstone that all OkState biochem majors have. They're very particular about it. Which is a load of bs

I'll talk to them, but I highly doubt it. I emailed my advisor but she hasn't gotten back with me yet. I probably couldn't take another senior seminar because this is the senior seminar/ capstone that all OkState biochem majors have. They're very particular about it. Which is a load of bs

I'd press HARD about how THEY screwed up. That's not cool.

Reactions: 5 users
I know a couple people at my undergrad who got required courses subbed out for this reason, and one took a different senior seminar class so she could graduate on time. Hopefully they'll work with you! If not, pooey on them. Buttheads. :yeahright:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you have too. in the noooob game.
Oops I wasn't even paying attention. I like it. I like Cdo more because "Cdo no" is kinda rhyming.
She didn't last long enough to notice. Plus was too busy picking every fight she could

Hope it works out for you cdo
Do you know how hard it is to pick a fight during the day while only posting in images? I'm very talented, apparently.

Being in my 30's now but not, apparently, looking like I'm in my 30's is kind of nice (however the hell 30's are supposed to look).... especially when people try to condescend and suggest that my opinion is irrelevant because I'm too young to possibly know anything about the world. I always want to ask "How old do you think I am?" before I morph into a smug old bitch and lay some facts down.

Reactions: 5 users

Does your school offer an independent study class (or an independent research class) for semester credits? If yes, you might be able to enroll in one of these independent study courses and receive full graduation credit. You're definitely not a slacker. Hope things work out well for you. :)

Well some shelters do charge a drop off fee. If the person isn't going to pay to get them needed medical care I highly doubt they would be willing to pay just to ditch the animal :\ Terrible but I guess that's the harsh truth.

Still no excuse to leave a pregnant animal in a create in its own waste. Take the cat inside the vet clinic and explain what is going. The vast majority of vets will help you out.

Still no excuse to leave a pregnant animal in a create in its own waste. Take the cat inside the vet clinic and explain what is going. The vast majority of vets will help you out.
And in most areas there are other options: animal control will take it for free and shelters may waive fees for people who can't afford them, or they'll refer to a different shelter/rescue that won't charge.

Unless, of course, it is this area....in town, you can call animal control about animals running loose, and they will pick them up free. However, for owner surrenders, it is $50 per cat and $75 per dog. Even if they are strays that wander up. If you live out in the country, like we do, the only option we have is to trap/conjole/lure strays into crates and take them in. Where we get charged as above. And then the commissioners wonder why we have dog packs. and tons of feral cats!!

Unless, of course, it is this area....in town, you can call animal control about animals running loose, and they will pick them up free. However, for owner surrenders, it is $50 per cat and $75 per dog. Even if they are strays that wander up. If you live out in the country, like we do, the only option we have is to trap/conjole/lure strays into crates and take them in. Where we get charged as above. And then the commissioners wonder why we have dog packs. and tons of feral cats!!

Good point! Resources vary so, so much by location.

@mmmdreamerz @PrincessButterCup @SkiOtter @Karabiner13 and @Doctor-S

So update: I went in to my advisor today and pestered her about it! She said that I can take a replacement class instead and I'll still be able to graduate in the fall!!!! :biglove:

The bad news is instead of an easy class, I have to take cell & molecular bio, but my advisor teaches the class (and teaches the biochem 2 class I'm in now) and I love her teaching style!

Reactions: 13 users

So update: I went in to my advisor today and pestered her about it! She said that I can take a replacement class instead and I'll still be able to graduate in the fall!!!! :biglove:

The bad news is instead of an easy class, I have to take cell & molecular bio, but my advisor teaches the class (and teaches the biochem 2 class I'm in now) and I love her teaching style!

YAY IM SO GLAD

YAYYYYYYYYYYY
I knew there HAD to be something that they would be able to do for it...

Reactions: 1 users

When I took cell and molecular biology, it was under Dr. John. I liked him well enough. I took a class with Prade at one point and that was a trip - he's an interesting guy. Who is teaching it now?

Also, my degree is in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics - I guess that isn't possible anymore? Now it's Biochemistry and Molecular Microbiology, or something like that?

When I took cell and molecular biology, it was under Dr. John. I liked him well enough. I took a class with Prade at one point and that was a trip - he's an interesting guy. Who is teaching it now?

Also, my degree is in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics - I guess that isn't possible anymore? Now it's Biochemistry and Molecular Microbiology, or something like that?
Dr. Canaan is teaching it now! Dr. John is a sweetheart, but he doesn't really teach anymore. He advises and does research mainly. I haven't heard anything about Prade, haven't had a class with him yet.

I don't know if Dr. Wilson was around when you were here, but he teaches Survey of Biochem and Biochem 1 and he's... interesting... to say the least.

And yeah, I don't think that degree is around anymore. Mine's Biochemistry and Molecular Biology though CASNR but there's also a Biochemistry alone degree through Arts & Sciences

Dealing with chronic illnesses can be so frustrating, especially if you don"t know why it is flaring up.... :mad:

I've been dealing with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) since I was young, but since the initial crisis, it has gone into hiding... only to come back kicking a few months ago. The pain and bloating.... ugh. So of course, me being a good child, have avoided triggers, upped my exercise to 4-5 times a week, slowed down while eating, started probiotics, do stress relieving activities... and yet, it's just the same daily struggle if not worse. And now I'm starting to dread eating food which is so sad because food= life for me usually :(.

Reactions: 2 users
Dealing with chronic illnesses can be so frustrating, especially if you don"t know why it is flaring up.... :mad:

I've been dealing with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) since I was young, but since the initial crisis, it has gone into hiding... only to come back kicking a few months ago. The pain and bloating.... ugh. So of course, me being a good child, have avoided triggers, upped my exercise to 4-5 times a week, slowed down while eating, started probiotics, do stress relieving activities... and yet, it's just the same daily struggle if not worse. And now I'm starting to dread eating food which is so sad because food= life for me usually :(.

I'm so sorry ashgirl! :( I hope you feel better.

Feeling you big time, the last flare up I had was couple years ago and it absolutely sucked. I hope you feel better soon, the hard work is worth it!

Dr. Canaan is teaching it now! Dr. John is a sweetheart, but he doesn't really teach anymore. He advises and does research mainly. I haven't heard anything about Prade, haven't had a class with him yet.

I don't know if Dr. Wilson was around when you were here, but he teaches Survey of Biochem and Biochem 1 and he's... interesting... to say the least.

And yeah, I don't think that degree is around anymore. Mine's Biochemistry and Molecular Biology though CASNR but there's also a Biochemistry alone degree through Arts & Sciences

I had Canaan for biochem 1 and 2, under a different last name (remarried?) I had Berlin for organic, and I honestly can't even remember my regular micro teacher's name since that was 2006 or so. I remember Hadwiger - he was very nice but his exams were hard. And Marley was a lowly lab teacher of some sort when I started and he has worked his way up to professor now.

It all feels like a long time ago... I suppose it was.

Mine is an A&S degree. Well, they both are. I did zoology too. Don't even ask who taught my ecology course... lol.

I had Canaan for biochem 1 and 2, under a different last name (remarried?) I had Berlin for organic, and I honestly can't even remember my regular micro teacher's name since that was 2006 or so. I remember Hadwiger - he was very nice but his exams were hard. And Marley was a lowly lab teacher of some sort when I started and he has worked his way up to professor now.

It all feels like a long time ago... I suppose it was.

Mine is an A&S degree. Well, they both are. I did zoology too. Don't even ask who taught my ecology course... lol.
Berlin's still teaching organic, but his class is a joke. He's an easy A compared to the other organic teacher. I haven't had Hadwiger and Marley yet. Canaan is an amazing teacher, easily my favorite teacher I've ever had.

I try not to talk about vet stuff much on facebook so I don't have to get random unsolicited advice requests from people, but my friend posted about some pathology stuff she's working on and it's morphed into a very amusing conversation about heartworm.

Mostly this lady has never heard of heartworms before and also her dogs have definitely never had this so things must have just been better in the good old days. Like okay Margaret, I'm going to take your sample size of 5 and the knowledge that your animals have never been to a veterinarian in their lives and just put that in my back pocket to think about later. Heartworms might be a government conspiracy invented in the 90s though, you never know.

Reactions: 13 users
Berlin's still teaching organic, but his class is a joke. He's an easy A compared to the other organic teacher. I haven't had Hadwiger and Marley yet. Canaan is an amazing teacher, easily my favorite teacher I've ever had.

Berlin was NOT an easy A when I took it (2005-2006)... it was lots of stories about what tires and golf balls and pyrex are made of and why, and lots of reading NMR charts... it was hard. Ohrtman taught the easier organic class.

I'll be sad if the old man is losing his edge. He was still sharp as a tack... eleven years ago. Sad sad. He was like late 60s then so he is pretty old for sure...

I'll have a soft spot for him forever. If I ever see him again, I'll say, "Now we're talkin' turkey!" That was one of his favorite phrases.

Not really a rant but I hate the anxiety you feel when other people are hearing back from a program you also applied for, but you're still waiting....

Reactions: 4 users
So I think I sprained (better not be broken!!) my thumb while working out (specifically doing burpees lol). This is what I get for trying to be healthy and get into shape :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Berlin was NOT an easy A when I took it (2005-2006)... it was lots of stories about what tires and golf balls and pyrex are made of and why, and lots of reading NMR charts... it was hard. Ohrtman taught the easier organic class.

I'll be sad if the old man is losing his edge. He was still sharp as a tack... eleven years ago. Sad sad. He was like late 60s then so he is pretty old for sure...

I'll have a soft spot for him forever. If I ever see him again, I'll say, "Now we're talkin' turkey!" That was one of his favorite phrases.
Yeah now a days there are two professors who teach the hard organic class (during different semesters) and now a days he's the soft professor. The other one just teaches sooo much about drugs, and lots of MS and NMR as well. I wish I had his class, he seems like a delightful man.

To add insult to injury after working or traveling or otherwise not relaxing for the bajillionth weekend in a row, finally got my first speeding ticket today.

And the parakeet appt I was looking forward to this morning rescheduled.

Grump.

To add insult to injury after working or traveling or otherwise not relaxing for the bajillionth weekend in a row, finally got my first speeding ticket today.

And the parakeet appt I was looking forward to this morning rescheduled.

Grump.
:( hope the rest of your day goes better!

My car was broken into last night :mad:

No damage, I think they picked the lock. I always lock my car, and I'm pretty darn sure I locked it last night. They left my driver side door ajar and my glovebox/center console were rifled through. The weird part is that they didn't take the baggy of change on the passenger seat, but they took a garage door opener that was inside the console. Luckily, it's the opener to my parents' garage, but the opener to my own garage was right on my visor...why not take that one? Not that I'm complaining.

The police said that they pretty much can't do anything and can't take prints because it's winter. It's just frustrating because I never park outside the garage, but I had to the last few days because I have a bunch of boxes in the garage right now. My roommates and I are now worrying that someone has been watching the house and knows we leave for ~10 hours everyday and is planning on using the stolen opener to get in. It won't work, but ugh

My car was broken into last night :mad:

No damage, I think they picked the lock. I always lock my car, and I'm pretty darn sure I locked it last night. They left my driver side door ajar and my glovebox/center console were rifled through. The weird part is that they didn't take the baggy of change on the passenger seat, but they took a garage door opener that was inside the console. Luckily, it's the opener to my parents' garage, but the opener to my own garage was right on my visor...why not take that one? Not that I'm complaining.

The police said that they pretty much can't do anything and can't take prints because it's winter. It's just frustrating because I never park outside the garage, but I had to the last few days because I have a bunch of boxes in the garage right now. My roommates and I are now worrying that someone has been watching the house and knows we leave for ~10 hours everyday and is planning on using the stolen opener to get in. It won't work, but ugh

Do you have a key fob with an unlock button? A few years ago someone stole the change out of my car but it wasn't broken into so I suspect something in my purse hit the fob once and unlocked the driver side door. There are people who just go around checking doors to see if they're unlocked.

an m1 redhead took my study spot today. one of those rare days that im not at school by 6am.

i set my alarm for 5am tomorrow.

an m1 redhead took my study spot today. one of those rare days that im not at school by 6am.

i set my alarm for 5am tomorrow.
Geez I find it hard to get up at 8 am on the weekends, let alone 5 o_O.

Kudos to you for studying at school. I would go mad, I need study places as far away from school as possible

Geez I find it hard to get up at 8 am on the weekends, let alone 5 o_O.

Kudos to you for studying at school. I would go mad, I need study places as far away from school as possible
coffee, am runs, passion. I usually get at least 7hrs though.

hard for me to function less than that and it'll end up making my day unproductive.

coffee, am runs, passion. I usually get at least 7hrs though.

hard for me to function less than that and it'll end up making my day unproductive.
I understand that, I'm the same way as far as sleep goes.

I'm not too happy that Fifth Third seems to have randomly closed my current credit card account and created a new one without notifying me. Usually they send out a message if there's been some kind of data breach in their system or in a major retailer's system. I haven't heard anything so it's kind of annoying that the card in my wallet probably won't work and I don't have the new card yet. I need to go into a physical bank next weekend anyway to see about increasing my credit limit while I have a job and before I go back to school so I'll just have to ask about the new card then.

Very ready to be done with all the extracurricular BS that I stupidly involved myself in. :help: