RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think Cheese KNOWS how to give hugs. Cheese shows his love by trying to suffocate vmh.
Yes he does. He just chooses not to hug.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not feeling well and had to argue with my dad about why the hell he is going to claim me as a dependent on his taxes when I'm definitely not a dependent.

We do this every year, I guess it's tradition now.

Reactions: 1 users
Not feeling well and had to argue with my dad about why the hell he is going to claim me as a dependent on his taxes when I'm definitely not a dependent.

Especially as a vet student. Pretty sure you're automatically an independent at that point.

File before him
I've got nothing to file this year, unfortunately. I'm just hoping it won't affect my FAFSA. My mom is trying to convince him not to list me as a dependent, so we'll see how that goes.

Although since I've been researching it today, apparently unemployed students can qualify for a $1000 education credit if they file regardless of the fact they had no income. I'm going to look into that more.

I've got nothing to file this year, unfortunately. I'm just hoping it won't affect my FAFSA. My mom is trying to convince him not to list me as a dependent, so we'll see how that goes.

Although since I've been researching it today, apparently unemployed students can qualify for a $1000 education credit if they file regardless of the fact they had no income. I'm going to look into that more.

You can file whether or not you have income, and you don't need to file before him. File and don't list yourself as a dependent. If you file as independent and he claims you, the IRS will contact you both to sort it out. The onus would be on him to prove that you are his dependent. You may want to let him know that's what you're doing and that it would be in his best interest to not claim you...

Reactions: 3 users

I let my parents file me as a dependent as long as they could. They could get more money just adding me as a dependent than I could filing alone. So they'd file and share a bit of that money they got for claiming me with me. More money than I would've received otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can file whether or not you have income, and you don't need to file before him. File and don't list yourself as a dependent. If you file as independent and he claims you, the IRS will contact you both to sort it out. The onus would be on him to prove that you are his dependent. You may want to let him know that's what you're doing and that it would be in his best interest to not claim you...
I could do that, I'd just have to decide if it's worth the drama that would ensue. At the same time, he knows that he can manipulate anyone into doing what he wants if the threat of drama/violence is in the air.

Edit:
I let my parents file me as a dependent as long as they could. They could get more money just adding me as a dependent than I could filing alone. So they'd file and share a bit of that money they got for claiming me with me. More money than I would've received otherwise.
That sounds like a decent compromise, I just don't think I'd ever get a cut of it.

I tried that deal with my parents when I've been independent of them since 2011, but was in school and living on my own. "Sure honey, we'll give you the education credit so you can pay down XYZ loan." Four years I never saw a dime. So YMMV.

I tried that deal with my parents when I've been independent of them since 2011, but was in school and living on my own. "Sure honey, we'll give you the education credit so you can pay down XYZ loan." Four years I never saw a dime. So YMMV.
Wait, your parents filed for the education credit? Based on my Googling (and I'm fairly financially illiterate when it comes to taxes), whoever is in school files for it. Am I wrong?

In case y'all forgot, ETS still sucks. They were down until 5 pm EST today for maintenance. It's been pushed back to 7:30 and now 8:30

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, your parents filed for the education credit? Based on my Googling (and I'm fairly financially illiterate when it comes to taxes), whoever is in school files for it. Am I wrong?
My parents filed me as a dependent when I was still in college, so they receive the education credit on my behalf, even though I was also working and filed my own taxes.

What education credit is that? If my parents are claiming me as a dependent can I still claim it?

Things have changed, but I had friends whose parents filed them as dependants for 2 years and then they couldn't take the education credit again, so they let the kids do it as independents for the next 2 years. (But I know things have changed.)

Had to turn down a job I really wanted because SO didn't want to move, and now I'm all butthurt and grumpy. Hope my interviews next week go well so I can get out of this funk.
Went through this last year when job searching only locally because of my partner's job. It sucks. Definitely caused some tension and we argued about it more than probably anything else previously.

My commute's longer than I want, but it all eventually worked out. I'm sure it will for you too.

Went through this last year when job searching only locally because of my partner's job. It sucks. Definitely caused some tension and we argued about it more than probably anything else previously.

My commute's longer than I want, but it all eventually worked out. I'm sure it will for you too.
There has been a lot of discussion, but I wouldn't call it arguing. Not yet! :p

So this is going to be half rant and half asking for advice. My mom and stepdad have three very rowdy kids from the ages 12-8. They also have a dog and two cats. To make a long story short they don't treat thier pets poorly but they don't take the best care of them either. They also don't really have very much money, so if any emergency/unexpected expense came up with the animals I know they wouldn't be able to take care of it. They used to have another cat (an older cat who has since passed away) and he was always scared and hiding in a closet because of the very loud and rambunctious dog/kids. Despite all of this my mom is planning to get another cat. What is a nice way to tell her it's a bad idea?

So this is going to be half rant and half asking for advice. My mom and stepdad have three very rowdy kids from the ages 12-8. They also have a dog and two cats. To make a long story short they don't treat thier pets poorly but they don't take the best care of them either. They also don't really have very much money, so if any emergency/unexpected expense came up with the animals I know they wouldn't be able to take care of it. They used to have another cat (an older cat who has since passed away) and he was always scared and hiding in a closet because of the very loud and rambunctious dog/kids. Despite all of this my mom is planning to get another cat. What is a nice way to tell her it's a bad idea?

Is it a bad idea?

I mean.... *I* like it when clients provide gold-standard medical care for their animals (hell, I'm an ER vet, everything I do is expensive).... but I also understand that everyone has varying degrees of 'value' attached to pets. So I respect people who say "I'll provide a roof, food, and basic care but if anything major crops up we'll have to consider euthanasia."

I guess from where I'm at, if someone is providing shelter, food, and basic medical care (vaccines, treatment for simple/uncomplicated problems) ... that's about as much as should be required. If the shelters across the U.S. were empty I'd probably be in favor of requiring somewhat more care, but I'd rather have an animal in a comfortable home environment but never receiving 'advanced' or 'expensive' care, than languishing in a shelter or being euthanized because it can't be placed into a home.

I'm not really "disagreeing" with you - just providing another way to look at it. But the best question to ask yourself might not be "how do I tell her this is a bad idea" but rather "how do I help her find a cat that would best fit this situation/environment"..... I mean, you said it yourself, "they don't treat their pets poorly". That's pretty decent right there. And all most animals really want.

Is it a bad idea?

I mean.... *I* like it when clients provide gold-standard medical care for their animals (hell, I'm an ER vet, everything I do is expensive).... but I also understand that everyone has varying degrees of 'value' attached to pets. So I respect people who say "I'll provide a roof, food, and basic care but if anything major crops up we'll have to consider euthanasia."

I guess from where I'm at, if someone is providing shelter, food, and basic medical care (vaccines, treatment for simple/uncomplicated problems) ... that's about as much as should be required. If the shelters across the U.S. were empty I'd probably be in favor of requiring somewhat more care, but I'd rather have an animal in a comfortable home environment but never receiving 'advanced' or 'expensive' care, than languishing in a shelter or being euthanized because it can't be placed into a home.

I'm not really "disagreeing" with you - just providing another way to look at it. But the best question to ask yourself might not be "how do I tell her this is a bad idea" but rather "how do I help her find a cat that would best fit this situation/environment"..... I mean, you said it yourself, "they don't treat their pets poorly". That's pretty decent right there. And all most animals really want.
Yeah I definitely get what you're saying, but there are basic medical care that they don't provide for their pets. Like some examples are none of their pets are vaccinated and they all get fleas every summer because they never give them flea protection (I have discussed this with them before and they don't really see an issue). I just don't think any new cat would be comfortable in thier house. One of thier cats does ok but the other only comes out at night when the kids are asleep and like I said the older cat they had practically lived in a closet. I'm just worried about them getting a cat and it being scared/stressed its whole life.

Yeah I definitely get what you're saying, but there are basic medical care that they don't provide for their pets. Like some examples are none of their pets are vaccinated and they all get fleas every summer because they never give them flea protection (I have discussed this with them before and they don't really see an issue). I just don't think any new cat would be comfortable in thier house. One of thier cats does ok but the other only comes out at night when the kids are asleep and like I said the older cat they had practically lived in a closet. I'm just worried about them getting a cat and it being scared/stressed its whole life.

Ok. Well, when you said they "don't treat their animals poorly," and they wouldn't be prepared for "emergency/unexpected expenses" I guess I read that as them providing basic care.......

It sounds like you're changing the scenario a bit now.

But nevertheless, why not try and find a solution for those problems, instead? There are lots of low-cost and/or free vaccine clinics. I mean, they make me grit my teeth, but hey, at least the animal gets vaccinated. There are over-the-counter flea products that work ok.

Point is: You'll often have better success trying to educate and meet halfway than change someone's course 180 degrees.

Ok. Well, when you said they "don't treat their animals poorly," and they wouldn't be prepared for "emergency/unexpected expenses" I guess I read that as them providing basic care.......

It sounds like you're changing the scenario a bit now.

But nevertheless, why not try and find a solution for those problems, instead? There are lots of low-cost and/or free vaccine clinics. I mean, they make me grit my teeth, but hey, at least the animal gets vaccinated. There are over-the-counter flea products that work ok.

Point is: You'll often have better success trying to educate and meet halfway than change someone's course 180 degrees.
Yeah I started typing my post by going into more detail into the situation but my post ended up being really long so I attempted to sum it up as best I could.

I get what you're saying about the difficulty of getting somebody to flip on how they view/think about things and conpromise being a better alternative. I'll take another shot at discussing the situation with them. Thanks for the input, it's helpful getting an outsider's opinion.

I'm really disappointed in people. This is the 2nd time in recent days that someone has abandoned an animal at my clinic. This time, it was a pregnant cat that was sitting in her own waste and vomit. She was left in the parking lot with no food or water for who knows how long.

I don't know what people think will happen. Just go to the shelter with your unwanted animal. They do their best to care for healthy animals and that's where they will end up if you drop them at our door.

I'm really disappointed in people. This is the 2nd time in recent days that someone has abandoned an animal at my clinic. This time, it was a pregnant cat that was sitting in her own waste and vomit. She was left in the parking lot with no food or water for who knows how long.

I don't know what people think will happen. Just go to the shelter with your unwanted animal. They do their best to care for healthy animals and that's where they will end up if you drop them at our door.
This makes my heart hurt :(

Reactions: 3 users

This type of story makes me sad and really mad. Very sorry you have to deal with this type of egregious situation.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been seeing way too many sick/emergent patients on top of my already fully booked schedule. The past two weeks have been crazier than usual. The past 2 days? In 12 hours of small animal appointments - booked every 15-30 minutes, I managed to see cluster seizures twice, DKA, three "healthy" diabetics, pancreatitis, Cushings, hemoabdomen, pyometra, swollen face, two lymphomas, a systemic mastocytosis, and a ruptured SQ mass. On top of 22 routine/vaccines/skin/ears type of appointments. WTF, world? ER/CC stuff scares me. I'm so glad I have tomorrow off.

I've been seeing way too many sick/emergent patients on top of my already fully booked schedule. The past two weeks have been crazier than usual. The past 2 days? In 12 hours of small animal appointments - booked every 15-30 minutes, I managed to see cluster seizures twice, DKA, three "healthy" diabetics, pancreatitis, Cushings, hemoabdomen, pyometra, swollen face, two lymphomas, a systemic mastocytosis, and a ruptured SQ mass. On top of 22 routine/vaccines/skin/ears type of appointments. WTF, world? ER/CC stuff scares me. I'm so glad I have tomorrow off.
I'm tired just reading that list

That sounds like a Saturday day shift for me. Except all that <really> scary stuff that you listed at the end (skin... ears....).

It's the universe calling you over to the dark side. Come work ECC with me.

That sounds like a Saturday day shift for me. Except all that <really> scary stuff that you listed at the end (skin... ears....).

It's the universe calling you over to the dark side. Come work ECC with me.
ECC is definitely one of the things I could see myself doing if my zoo dreams don't work out. I'm on the small animal emergency team here and I love it.

Apparently UGA is stealing our awesome dean. :(

It's actually her alma mater and I guess she seized the opportunity as soon as it opened up. I'm happy for her but quite sad that she's jumping ship---she's really great.

For sure. Don't understand why it is so hard to take the animal in, or as dy said, to a Freaking SHELTER. :mad:

Well some shelters do charge a drop off fee. If the person isn't going to pay to get them needed medical care I highly doubt they would be willing to pay just to ditch the animal :\ Terrible but I guess that's the harsh truth.

My undergrad posted about this interesting looking tax credit on their Facebook page. Apparently if you make less than $50,000 (and some change) a year, you're eligible for up to $6000 back on your taxes and the average payout is something like $2000. I went through the whole simulator to see if I was eligible, as I imagine most people entering internships and residencies will be. The only reason I'm not eligible? You have to be 25 by December of that tax year... So, no tax break for me for quite awhile :(

My undergrad posted about this interesting looking tax credit on their Facebook page. Apparently if you make less than $50,000 (and some change) a year, you're eligible for up to $6000 back on your taxes and the average payout is something like $2000. I went through the whole simulator to see if I was eligible, as I imagine most people entering internships and residencies will be. The only reason I'm not eligible? You have to be 25 by December of that tax year... So, no tax break for me for quite awhile :(
Ooh would you mind passing that information on? Sounds like I might qualify.

Send me the deets on this too please! My parents were going to claim me because my income is zero this year but.... whatever gets more money back is a better option.

PM me too please! I won't be of age for a couple years but I'd like to have this knowledge in the back of my mind if possible.

Ooh would you mind passing that information on? Sounds like I might qualify.
Send me the deets on this too please! My parents were going to claim me because my income is zero this year but.... whatever gets more money back is a better option.
PM me too please! I won't be of age for a couple years but I'd like to have this knowledge in the back of my mind if possible.
Ask and ye shall receive :) Important to note that you need to have some form of income, so I think most students likely won't qualify... or they'll consider your student loans income and you still probably won't qualify. It's pretty awesome for new grads though... if you're old enough :mad: