RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I highly recommend white noise + music over the top. The white noise helps fill in any quiet "gaps" in the song and makes it so you dont have to blast it as loud to drown out annoying noises.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile
I usually have my noise cancelling headphones but they were dead. Alas. :(

Members don't see this ad.

The volunteer coordinator (who is a volunteer herself) at the bird sanctuary where I help out got fired. She emailed me at 9pm last night to say she wouldnt be helping me out this morning. Note, as of last week, we were the only two regularly scheduled volunteers Friday morning (one switched days and the other, a volunteer of several years, suddenly quit)

So this morning, I was the only one taking care of ~150 parrots... No back up for the difficult ones, I got em all to myself.

The only positive things about this was I actually got through most of it all (the owner of the sanctuary came out to help finish the last dozen cages cause I had to leave) and I gotta do it however I felt like, and take out however many birds I wanted to just hang out with.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had a particularly tough euthanasia case at work today. Some of them grab your heart especially hard.

I will say, though, that the vet I was with today is a rockstar in the client communication/empathy department. Definitely took a lot of mental notes.

Reactions: 2 users
Today, an outside electrician came to run a new internet line! We never could get Cox to return a phone call to just give them permission from the apartment to fix it. Buuuuut, even with the new line, I still don’t have internet. So now I get to have another Cox tech come out and troubleshoot again since the repair I was told to hire someone to make did not fix it, despite assurances that was the issue. I’m pretty darn mad. Today is day 19 without internet.

Today, an outside electrician came to run a new internet line! We never could get Cox to return a phone call to just give them permission from the apartment to fix it. Buuuuut, even with the new line, I still don’t have internet. So now I get to have another Cox tech come out and troubleshoot again since the repair I was told to hire someone to make did not fix it, despite assurances that was the issue. I’m pretty darn mad. Today is day 19 without internet.
That is absolutely ridiculous.

The internet saga is contained within this thread so I'll update here even though it's actually a rave...

I AM POSTING THIS FROM MY LAPTOP THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!

Apparently technician #1 was correct that the line was bad. However, the electrician the apartment complex hired to replace the line yesterday didn't hook up the connectors correctly and there was something called 'suckouts' that prevented the signal from flowing. Today's Cox technician replaced all the connectors on the new line and it's working. He left, then came back because he was checking stuff and noticed the signal was now 'too strong' and he messed with it some more, but it's fixed!

Reactions: 15 users
Texted my mom about it because I wanted her to be proud of me because I was super proud and she said “Study harder and maybe next time you can get a 100”.
Are we siblings? At the age of 30 and three years into practice and my mother still has to look for the negatives in everything. Buy a house? "It's expensive." Change jobs for my mental health? "You don't have any friends in the new city." Find a new apartment with my boyfriend? "Why doesn't he just move in with you?"

You'd think being a doctor and a landlord in a steady relationship and a good career would be something to be proud of and she could manage an "I'm proud of you" now and then but nope.

Reactions: 3 users
Are we siblings? At the age of 30 and three years into practice and my mother still has to look for the negatives in everything. Buy a house? "It's expensive." Change jobs for my mental health? "You don't have any friends in the new city." Find a new apartment with my boyfriend? "Why doesn't he just move in with you?"

You'd think being a doctor and a landlord in a steady relationship and a good career would be something to be proud of and she could manage an "I'm proud of you" now and then but nope.
IM PROUD OF YOU, COQUETTE. YOURE DOING GREAT

Reactions: 7 users

Ugh I’m sorry Coquette. That’s terrible. :/

I’m proud of you, if that means anything! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 user

I quit my job without technically having signed on for another job. Took me a few weeks to tell my parents. My mom about **** her pants. She was way more worried than I was. I felt free and excited, even without having anything else lined up. Even with having just purchased a house too. I was all.. "I'll figure it out." My mom was freaking out and lecturing me. I don't think she quite understands the whole "mental health" bit. It wasn't even just about mental health though, I also quit to protect my license because the office manager refused to fire the people making continuous mistakes that were putting my license at risk. And she continues to try to hire stupid, off the street *****s who don't know their ass from their head. Quitting was definitely about my mental well-being but also about protecting my license and livelihood and my mom just couldn't understand that. So I got lectured about it, still, at nearly 30 years old.

After three glorious days with internet service...it’s out again. This time Cox says it’s an issue with the connection box outside. The one they just made us run a new line to. Their soonest appointment is Thursday. I will never ever ever ever have Cox again after this. I’d be leaving now but there are no other options and not having internet isn’t a possibility as a resident.

Edit: It still shows as being out on my Cox account, but it is temporarily working. I'm not cancelling that appointment for Thursday though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just finished a quiz in General Genetics and its always the stupid true false questions that trip me up. Mainly the ones that have one or two words in the entire sentence that make it wrong.

"The Central Dogma states DNA turns into RNA and RNA turns into protein."
True or false?

I put true because in a very basic sense DNA does turn into RNA, and RNA into protein. I'm assuming I got it wrong because it doesn't say transcribe/translate in the appropriate areas.... Or did I completely misunderstand this question and make a dumb mistake? :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished a quiz in General Genetics and its always the stupid true false questions that trip me up. Mainly the ones that have one or two words in the entire sentence that make it wrong.

True or false?

I put true because in a very basic sense DNA does turn into RNA, and RNA into protein. I'm assuming I got it wrong because it doesn't say transcribe/translate in the appropriate areas.... Or did I completely misunderstand this question and make a dumb mistake? :dead:

It's RNA --> DNA --> Protein with transcription being between RNA and DNA and translation from DNA to protein. RNA does come from DNA because the DNA is used as a template but the central dogma is stated above :( sorry!

It's RNA --> DNA --> Protein with transcription being between RNA and DNA and translation from DNA to protein. RNA does come from DNA because the DNA is used as a template but the central dogma is stated above :( sorry!
No? It’s definitey dna is transcribed producing rna, and rna is translated producing protein. The way it’s phrased in the question is false because it’s not the DNA itself turning into rna, or the rna turning into protein. They’re both just “templates.” Unless I’m missing some joke here

No? It’s definitey dna is transcribed producing rna, and rna is translated producing protein. The why it’s phrased in the question is false because it’s not the DNA itself turning into rna, or the rna turning into protein. They’re both just “templates.” Unless I’m missing some joke here
Legit I just had a brain fart lol DNA --> RNA --> Protein

True or false?

Technically you are correct I think.
central-dogma_med.jpeg

No? It’s definitey dna is transcribed producing rna, and rna is translated producing protein. The way it’s phrased in the question is false because it’s not the DNA itself turning into rna, or the rna turning into protein. They’re both just “templates.” Unless I’m missing some joke here

No, no joke. Your explanation is why I'm assuming I got it wrong. Just infuriating to get a question wrong based off a "technicality". Haha...

No, no joke. Your explanation is why I'm assuming I got it wrong. Just infuriating to get a question wrong based off a "technicality". Haha...
Though you know the professor was probably giggling to themselves like “heh heh let’s see if this’ll get em”

Guess what.... I've totally forgotten the words translation and transcription. The basic of DNA to RNA to protein are still in my brain but the specifics and terminology, that's long gone. Still practicing medicine.

Reactions: 9 users
Rant: people on the APVMA Facebook page asking the entire group a question that could be easily answered with a quick google search.

I may be petty but mannn. If you want to apply to vet school get used to putting in some work.

/off my soapbox

Reactions: 9 users
Guess what.... I've totally forgotten the words translation and transcription. The basic of DNA to RNA to protein are still in my brain but the specifics and terminology, that's long gone. Still practicing medicine.

And this is exactly why it makes me rant! lol this is most of my intelligence.... Can't remember the details, but I know enough of the general concept to know whats going on and figure things out.

Rant: people on the APVMA Facebook page asking the entire group a question that could be easily answered with a quick google search.

I may be petty but mannn. If you want to apply to vet school get used to putting in some work.

/off my soapbox

I think this is just how people are these days. I don't know how many times I have to prevent myself from doing a face palm at the things people ask. Just like....seriously? I'm right there with you on the pettiness, if that's what people want to call us. lol

Spending the weekend in Canada with my boyfriend as a mini-vacation. He decided it would be a great idea to drink before we made the drive up, and his friend kept getting him to drink more. He was totally fine for a few hours, then it all hit him about 20 minutes before we got to the border. I’m shocked they let us through he looked dead. We get to the hotel, I leave him in the car to check in and everything, bring him into the lobby to go to the room and he vomits in a corner in the lobby. Now he’s passed out in the room and I’m angry and hungry because I havent eaten since breakfast.
Some vacation.

Spending the weekend in Canada with my boyfriend as a mini-vacation. He decided it would be a great idea to drink before we made the drive up, and his friend kept getting him to drink more. He was totally fine for a few hours, then it all hit him about 20 minutes before we got to the border. I’m shocked they let us through he looked dead. We get to the hotel, I leave him in the car to check in and everything, bring him into the lobby to go to the room and he vomits in a corner in the lobby. Now he’s passed out in the room and I’m angry and hungry because I havent eaten since breakfast.
Some vacation.
Sorry it hasn't been an ideal vacation. He'll pay for it with your anger and the hang over?

Working 2 nights in a row but didn't know about night 2 until 2pm (have to be in at 6pm) when I was trying to readjust back to normal for a 6am shift tomorrow after the night shift I got off of at (6:30am today). I'm grumpy, tired , cold, want some oreos too but I don't have any... well I guess if I can function enough to work its an indicator that I can live off small amounts of sleep at a time through vet school when needed right?

Some vacation.
That sucks big time. Hope you go out and do something fun even if he's still passed out this AM. Don't let his choices stop you from exploring. Leave a note, he can meet up later.

Working 2 nights in a row but didn't know about night 2 until 2pm (have to be in at 6pm) when I was trying to readjust back to normal for a 6am shift tomorrow after the night shift I got off of at (6:30am today). I'm grumpy, tired , cold, want some oreos too but I don't have any... well I guess if I can function enough to work its an indicator that I can live off small amounts of sleep at a time through vet school when needed right?
Yesterday I got off at 2 am and had to be back at work for noon. 10 hour shifts. I wound up holding for ultrasound and the radiologist was quizzing me on the anatomy while I was running on 2 hours of sleep, no food, and far more coffee than is good for anyone. I was like "I'm sorry... I'm not usually this stupid!" I tell myself it's good preparation for that internship I want....

I found out by accident this morning that my laptop had been hacked. Freaked me right out! So I spent my holiday Monday changing passwords to all the things and praying that I'd realized before any damage was done. And my son's laptop isn't password protected, so that's potentially fun. Made him change all his passwords too. Virus scans on both machines are clean and webcams are covered. Now we wait....

Seriously people... I have no money and I'm really boring - all I do is work and study. Pick on somebody else!

OK universe, the start of this week has been really crappy. I'm sick of terrible bad things happening to really nice owners. Get it together! Happy things to finish out the week!

Reactions: 5 users
Super petty rant. I'm PRN. I took the job knowing that and get paid well because of it. However, is it too much to ask for people to actually show up to their full time jobs? Like I was only supposed to have 3 shifts the whole month. I have bacically ended up working full time covering people this month. My department has 5 people. 5. 3 of them have actually showed up as scheduled. I have worked full time this month because of 2 people. Like WTF.

Last edited:
Super petty rant. I'm PRN. I took the job knowing that and get paid well because of it. However, is it too much to ask for people to actually show up to their full time jobs? Like I was only supposed to have 3 shifts the whole month. I have bacically ended up working full time covering people this month. My department has 5 people. 5. 3 of them have actually showed up as scheduled. I have worked full time this month because of 2 people. Like WTF.
Okay is this an everywhere thing??? We’ve constantly had people not show up to work or show up late/leave early and it blows my mind. Luckily management has actually started firing said people but still. I thought when I entered the “real adult world” people would be, idk, real adults? I don’t think it’s petty and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for people to do their jobs.
But hey you’re the one getting paid at the end of the day:greedy:

Okay is this an everywhere thing??? We’ve constantly had people not show up to work or show up late/leave early and it blows my mind. Luckily management has actually started firing said people but still. I thought when I entered the “real adult world” people would be, idk, real adults? I don’t think it’s petty and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for people to do their jobs.
But hey you’re the one getting paid at the end of the day:greedy:
Unfortunately it's everywhere I think. Some places not as bad as others. However update chick im covering for this week got fired. IDK for what but at least it's not just her not showing up!

Unfortunately it's everywhere I think. Some places not as bad as others. However update chick im covering for this week got fired. IDK for what but at least it's not just her not showing up!
It was a majorly common thing at the first job I started at. Most of the time, it was their way of quitting :/ Luckily none of the otger jobs I've had have ever had it be a problem! Perhaps the occasional "I legit didnt know I was supposed to be working".

So trust that someday you will get lucky and find one of those places, then never leave :D

P.s. what is a PRN? a type of registered nurse??

It was a majorly common thing at the first job I started at. Most of the time, it was their way of quitting :/ Luckily none of the otger jobs I've had have ever had it be a problem! Perhaps the occasional "I legit didnt know I was supposed to be working".

So trust that someday you will get lucky and find one of those places, then never leave :D

P.s. what is a PRN? a type of registered nurse??
PRN stands for some Latin phrase that means “as needed”

I will say that over the last year and half, my employer has been understanding about my many absences, and needing to leave early, come in late, etc. But, I have had legit medical reasons (fighting cancer is the pits). I am sure that anyone not in the know would wonder how I stayed employed. (especially the chemo weeks). Sometimes, you have to be patient, and realize that some things are not what they appear.

Of course, it is also possible that some people just have zero work ethic...and they are the ones who want to bash the employer for firing them!!

I will say that over the last year and half, my employer has been understanding about my many absences, and needing to leave early, come in late, etc. But, I have had legit medical reasons (fighting cancer is the pits). I am sure that anyone not in the know would wonder how I stayed employed. (especially the chemo weeks). Sometimes, you have to be patient, and realize that some things are not what they appear.

Of course, it is also possible that some people just have zero work ethic...and they are the ones who want to bash the employer for firing them!!
Keep fighting the good fight!!! :biglove:

Does anyone know of a good resource to see vet salaries for different specialties? Anonymous surveys, etc?

I'm nervous to apply when I think of the debt load and the fact I don't have a great idea of what a large animal vet in the Midwest might make vs Maine (random example) and small animal salaries tend to skew everything I find online. Nonvets keep telling me you'll make a ton of money/live in a mansion (obviously I know this isn't true) and all the vets I've talked to are rather coy about their salaries (I totally understand). I'd just like a better idea of what I'm thinking of getting myself into without being rude and flat out saying tell me your salary.
I dont, but also important to keep cost of living in mind when considering locations. My salary at mizzou was absurdly low ($26k) but easy to live off of. My NYC salary is higher ($42k) but a challenge to live off of. All based on cost of living

My crazy neighbor is literally measuring my grass with a ruler right now because it's longer than she likes and she's threatening to report me to the city.

(spoiler alert, it's within appropriate length for city code, I just keep it longer than she keeps hers because I'm busy and don't have time to obsessively mow my lawn)

My crazy neighbor is literally measuring my grass with a ruler right now because it's longer than she likes and she's threatening to report me to the city.

(spoiler alert, it's within appropriate length for city code, I just keep it longer than she keeps hers because I'm busy and don't have time to obsessively mow my lawn)
Your neighbor needs to MIND HER OWN DAMN BUSINESS. Or she can mow your lawn for you for free if she’s so concerned.

Get those bright neon fish rocks and when she isn't home, toss a few in her yard/any rock she has. Watch blood vessels explode

Your neighbor needs to MIND HER OWN DAMN BUSINESS. Or she can mow your lawn for you for free if she’s so concerned.

Get those bright neon fish rocks and when she isn't home, toss a few in her yard/any rock she has. Watch blood vessels explode

Yeah, she's a charming individual. The whole reason I was talking to her was to find out who takes care of her lawn because it always looks good and I know it's not her, and I don't have time to do all the maintenance I need to do between working enough to pay for everything myself since my ex and I split up...

Oh, and according to my ex, she throws trash over the fence onto our lawn. I haven't seen this behavior, but he has.

Last edited: