Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ngo3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had an interprofessional session about a week ago, and there was this PA student who kept talking about how "everything that a doctor does, we can do it too and better." He repeated it several times and I just kept rolling my eyes at him. I am just extremely pissed off that, while I am trying to stay afloat in the med school curriculum offered at my school and tackling 2-3 tests every week, there are ignorant people like that who say stuff like that, especially they don't take any of the classes that med students have to take. It is extremely frustrating that they dont have a single amount of respect and appreciation for the amount of knowledge we are trying to build and the amount of work and effort that we needed to undertake in order to become a physician.

Then you have midlevels, your NPs and DNPs, RN, MSN, what have you, the people who are so ignorant that they believe that the minimal amount of clinical courses they have to take amount to be "EQUIVALENT" to what a physician-in-training has to go through. Honestly, I am already getting some negative feelings about PAs, and nurses before I even start working in the field. Stuff like how nurses perform equivalent or better than doctors in terms of clinical outcome frustrates the **** out of me. In addition to that, when they say **** like "I have 15+ years of working experience as a nurse, I know as much as a doctor now."

When I am studying every single weekend for the 2-3 tests I have every week, and these people say **** like "oh I am as knowledgeable as doctors" piss me off.

No, you are not the same as doctors. No, you do not know as much as doctors. If you are a nurse or a PA, I expect you do be the best at being a nurse or a PA, not to try and be someone that you aren't.

TLDR: Stupid and ignorant people saying how they have an equal knowledge base compared to doctors, and how their training is somehow superior to doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have an ego problem. I agree with you that the knowledge we accumulate is greater, but chill out. We're not Gods among sheep, get off your high horse.

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen better rants in the PA forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a current intern I'll say that nurses are definitely smarter than you. Not from a book stand point but from the fact that they have "15+ years experience". I work in different areas of medicine every month and they work in one area year round so they are gaining valuable knowledge through experience. You shouldn't let it get to you. They are a valuable learning tool and can make your life way easier. Just stay humble and laugh to yourself when someone believes they are smarter than the doctor. You are all part of the same team in the end. Best of luck in Med school!

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a current intern I'll say that nurses are definitely smarter than you. Not from a book stand point but from the fact that they have "15+ years experience". I work in different areas of medicine every month and they work in one area year round so they are gaining valuable knowledge through experience. You shouldn't let it get to you. They are a valuable learning tool and can make your life way easier. Just stay humble and laugh to yourself when someone believes they are smarter than the doctor. You are all part of the same team in the end. Best of luck in Med school!

I'd argue that the first part of your post isn't actually true.

Nurses are smart people (generally), but if they have some medical knowledge about what the doctor should do it's usually because they have seen a doctor do it before. They wouldn't be able to make more complex decisions or consider a differential the way a physician does. They pattern match a lot basically. This has been my experience anyway.

That being said, they can definitely make or break you; so it's best to keep them on your side and work with them.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry about PAs, they are physician assistants for god sakes. Every practicing PA I've met has been great and doesn't necessarily want to be in the physicians shoes for the same reasons they picked PA and not medical school in the first place. EVERY type of student can be miserably annoying and wants to groan to everyone about how what they're doing is the most rigorous.