Rate law vs equlibrium constant

• Thread starter dentalstudent2021
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dentalstudent2021

I want to further understand the differences. confusing topic and often get them mixed.

Rate constant - affected by whatever affects the reaction rate = catalyst( also Ea), temp, (Reactants)

Equilibrium constant - only affected by temperature
-----
Equi Constant - quantifies if the reaction is at equilibrium and is (Rate constant of Forward rxn / Rate constant of reverse rxn )

Rate constant - quantifies how fast the reaction proceeds.

Please let me know if this is right and if i am missing anything. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to further understand the differences. confusing topic and often get them mixed.

Rate constant - affected by whatever affects the reaction rate = catalyst( also Ea), temp, (Reactants)

Equilibrium constant - only affected by temperature
-----
Equi Constant - quantifies if the reaction is at equilibrium and is (Rate constant of Forward rxn / Rate constant of reverse rxn )

Rate constant - quantifies how fast the reaction proceeds.

Please let me know if this is right and if i am missing anything. thanks!
You are almost correct here.
Just know that rate constant is effected by Catalyst and/or temperature, not by the reactants concentration. The overall rate is effected by reactants concentration.
Furthermore, make sure you know Le Chatelier's principle, how concentrations of reactants and products drive the reaction forward or backwards.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user