**Rate your SMP & Postbac**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The LMU Post bacc Medical Science Program is very new with their first class beginning this Fall 2010. My daughter has just been accepted there and is seriously considering going. She would be taking upper level science classes. If you have all your pre-requisites done and not taken too many sciences, this program should be a way to enhance your application with a possibility of an interview with DCOM. Not sure if the interview would be for 2011 with no gap year. My daughter spoke with the director who seemed very excited about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you guys talking about the same lmu? I think the first poster is referring to loyola msrymount; not Lincoln memorial.

Can anyone possibly rate Tufts program for us?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone pls rate the Indiana University MSMS program??

I was wondering the same thing. I just sent my application to this program

I posted my review back on 30Mar09 but at that point I hadn't applied to schools yet, so I couldn't speak to how effective it was for me. I applied after the IMS year and stayed on for the MMS year.

I said I would update, so - yes I believe the program greatly strengthened my application. I went on 6 allopathic interviews and 1 osteopathic interview. I was accepted straightaway by the D.O. school in October, and at this point have been accepted into 2 of the allopathic schools. I haven't been rejected from any schools post-interview yet (knock on wood!) - still waiting to hear from them.. should know within the next few weeks.

So in summary, it was worth it for me. I know a lot of people on SDN give the Drexel program grief, but I don't think I would have received as many chances as I did this cycle if I hadn't done the program. As a caveat, I was also very involved in volunteering, research, and shadowing throughout the IMS (not only the MMS) year, so it wasn't just a year of grades that I brought to the table. Good luck, guys. :)

The10101,
Thanks for your review! what r ur thoughts on the difficulty of the classes in the program. and how did u feel about having ur classes taught on video?

1) The Pros/Cons of the program
Pros:
- Cheap! (relatively) - $12,500
- Small (16 students for 2009-2010, 15 students the year before)
- Great medical school integration (ACPs take all their classes, labs, exams, etc with the first year medical students at Tulane)
- Generally positive atmosphere (last year's ACPs look out for the current class, med students consider us peers, etc)
- Most students are accepted to Tulane (see note below)
- Definitely not a cut-throat atmosphere -- everyone wants to see the ACP students succeed
- If you attend Tulane SOM, you TA the classes you took as an ACP student

Cons:
- If you don't surpass the medical school average in anatomy, you're not getting into Tulane (there was more leniency in previous years, but that appears to be changing)
- Loans are difficult to acquire, as it's not a degree-granting program
- You don't get a degree (although I don't think this really matters)
- You don't have the option of not TAing the classes you took as an ACP student

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description
Only two required classes and a third which is optional:
- Gross Anatomy (runs early August - late November)
- Histology (early December - mid-March)
- Neuroscience (optional; end of March - early May)

All of the courses are pretty standard for medical school. Gross anatomy includes a lecture and lab component. Dissections occur three times per week, with most sessions lasting about three hours. Lectures are recorded and posted online, so not everyone attends class. Histology is very doable, as the medical students are finishing biochem, starting physio and generally pretty busy. Neuroscience hasn't started, but ACPs are under no obligation to take it.

3) Something you wished you knew coming into the program
Just how awesome New Orleans is at just about any time of the year.

4) Something you would like to tell incoming students about your program
Do everything in your power to beat the average! Last year's ACPs (and subsequently this year's anatomy TAs) informed the current class that you could be in the neighborhood of the average (say, 2% below) but that ended up not being the case.

It's not always fun or easy to study anatomy and the pressure of doing well can get intense, but ACP students have more than enough time to master the material. Spending hours in lab reviewing structures was what helped me.

Also, don't buy all the books. Pick up Grant's Dissector, the Netter flashcard set and a copy of the Rohen atlas.

5) Tips for students applying to your program
There is no 'typical' ACP student, as far as I can tell. Everyone is a re-applicant (because you had to be waitlisted at an MD or DO school in order to apply), so if you can see yourself at Tulane, give it a shot.

6) Did it help you get into medical school?
Yes. I'll be joining the Tulane SOM Class of 2014.

7) Anything else you'd like to add
Some ACP students end up matriculating at medical schools other than Tulane, but most stick around even if they are accepted elsewhere because it's a great school and you just can't beat New Orleans.

Also, WHO DAT!

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)
Five. Six if I could.

Hi guys, I'm so glad I got on to SDN, I feel like I have a second chance after reading about these SMP's!

I'm currently filling out the application for BU SMP, and the personal statement prompt:
"Write a statement of not less than 200 words describing your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program. Report any research activities, publications, independent studies, and memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies. Account for time that has elapsed between formal studies. Applicants for teaching fellowships should indicate previous teaching experience."

Are they asking for a prose version of my resume? I read on the official SMP thread that a lot of people just tweaked their med school PS a little bit, but my PS would still sound so round-about (the usual narrative tone)

Do any of you accepted members have any input on this?

They don't want your PS, they want what they asked for.
Hi guys, I'm so glad I got on to SDN, I feel like I have a second chance after reading about these SMP's!

I'm currently filling out the application for BU SMP, and the personal statement prompt:
"Write a statement of not less than 200 words describing your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program. Report any research activities, publications, independent studies, and memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies. Account for time that has elapsed between formal studies. Applicants for teaching fellowships should indicate previous teaching experience."

Are they asking for a prose version of my resume? I read on the official SMP thread that a lot of people just tweaked their med school PS a little bit, but my PS would still sound so round-about (the usual narrative tone)

Do any of you accepted members have any input on this?

I believe I used my PS for AMCAS for this. Ask Natasha Hall though to double check.

I read on their site they accept the AMCAS personal statement and I used it exactly, and I was accepted. I just indicated on it that it was from my AMCAS app.

can someone rate the UMDNJ Newark SMP? interested to see how predental or premed students feel about their experience there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buxo - There is a giant UMDNJ thread; why not go in there and read around and ask some questions?

Can any one give me a quick assessment on Boston MAMS Vs. Loyola mams

I am having a hard time deciding....

I am leaning towards Loyola, due to the fact that I have a better chance of and want to attend their med school over Boston.

Help?

I am leaning towards Loyola, due to the fact that I have a better chance of and want to attend their med school over Boston.

Help?
You asked the same question in the other thread; please try and keep discussions in 1 thread. That way people dont get confused or hear half stories etc etc

Help?

If you want to go to Loyola Med over Boston you answered your own question. Boston U is more expensive, takes longer for many people, and has no consistent linkage... but it can help you get into Loyola too. The Loyola program is pretty good for getting into Loyola... so rock that program and get in.

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)
Pros It is in Miami so if you love hot weather you are home. The faculty are approachable. The students were nice we came from all over the country, so the diversity was apparent. The classes were easy if you studied, and interesting. I am from NYC so living in a nice area with a roomate was cheap to me. However if you are from a small city it is expensive. There are required courses, and there are electives. Joining the BMS club allowed you to do extracurricular activities medically related, underserved, and socially.
Cons Should have had more opportinities to do research, and obtaining a job.

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.
Physiology
Pharmacology
Neuroanatomy with Lab
Histology with Lab
Biochemistry 1&2
Ethics
The rest were electives

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program
That the apartments listed should be checked out first, the "hood" is 20 blocks away.
4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program
Make sure you improve your application overall. Barry will increase your GPA, you must on your own do other things to improve your apps. Most of the students that did not get into their desired program did not improve MCAT scores or research or volunteering etc.

Make sure you do other things to improve your apps.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?
Yes. I graduated with a 3.96 GPA UG 2.49 yeah it helped LOL

IMPROVE YOUR APPLICATION IN EVERY ASPECT!!!!!!!!! Get the LOR's early since it is a small school everyone bombards the professors and there will be a delay. Get to know them personally always ask questions. At one of my interviews the Dr. Interviewing you saird Dr Blank must love you. Whatever was in the LOR must have been good.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)
5 Loved it, and it helped me to be a better student and applicant

what was the minimum gpa requirement for admissions when you applied? on the website it says it's now 2.7/4.0

I guess I can answer this because that post was from so long ago that I doubt he/she is around to give you a response. I would messag Faith though, she's a more recent student who completed the program and will be a MS1 at USF ths Fall.

I am not a Barry student but I did apply to their MBS program this cycle as an option among others and was accepted into their accelerated 1 Year Option 1 track for a Masters and had the opportunity to speak to their director of the program and personally know a maxillofacial student at OHSU right now who served as part of the admissions committee there prior.

They have two Option 1 tracks that are tailored towards professional school but students mainly take it to improve credentials for dental and medical school admissions. They offer most of the courses that other SMPs offer except the faculty teaching them consist of both their own faculty as well as professors that teach at Nova Southeastern. The accelerated option 1 track is highly recommended and competitive from what they tell me if you wish to attend Barry and maximize your chances in gaining acceptance. The director claims to that Barry is well known among many other medical schools but I have seen posts made by others on this forum that dispute this. The only thing I can say for certain is LECOM-B and Nova do know of this problem and regard it highly, anything else I cannot confirm.

Option 1 accelerated GPA averages for accepted are around a 3.2-3.3, min is supposed to be a 3.0 with a 24 MCAT or 18 DAT but I doubt they're very strict on this. I was accepted much earlier with a sub 3.0 GPA but higher MCAT and DAT scores (yes I took both tests, long story). Theh class size is capped at 40.

The 18 month Option 1 MBS track is more lenient, 2.7 min and something else for MCAT. I'm too lazy to dig up an old thread but if you want you can find it in a post where I linked a URL to a past thread of a Barry 18 month MBS student who is now a D2 at Nova who was active in informing others of the program and it's pros/cons and his experience. It's in the Tufts MBS thread, probably 2/3 of the way through.

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I can try to answer them.

Hey guys,

I've researched all the major SMP's and can't make up my mind. Has anyone thought about RF BSM program? I'm from Canada, and have a cGPA of 3.6 and MCAT of 29 and going to retake MCAT by summer. I was going to start medical school @ St. George but just found out about SMP. RF has the advantage of being 1 yr-program with a master degree rather than a certificate. For the sake of other medical schools, is it better to get a certificate from a high ranked school (Columbia/Harvard/John Hopkins) or a master degree from RF? Additionally, I had an impression that a master degree wud be a great assist for residency matching!!! Can anyone comment on that?

Sorry for the long journal but I would really appreciate if someone help me out here,
Thanks

Hey guys,

I've researched all the major SMP's and can't make up my mind. Has anyone thought about RF BSM program? I'm from Canada, and have a cGPA of 3.6 and MCAT of 29 and going to retake MCAT by summer. I was going to start medical school @ St. George but just found out about SMP. RF has the advantage of being 1 yr-program with a master degree rather than a certificate. For the sake of other medical schools, is it better to get a certificate from a high ranked school (Columbia/Harvard/John Hopkins) or a master degree from RF? Additionally, I had an impression that a master degree wud be a great assist for residency matching!!! Can anyone comment on that?

Sorry for the long journal but I would really appreciate if someone help me out here,
Thanks

I think it depends on who you talk to and what you want to do with that certificate/masters. Certificate 1 year programs are usually a course intensive curriculum whereas the Masters is the course intensive curriculum and a year of "research". I'm strictly speaking from an SMP standpoint which is what your post addresses. Masters are pretty common nowadays and imho, the degree itself does not assist at all for residency matching but what you have done in it may/will. If the "research" that you have done results in publications or abstracts/posters that you present or whatnot, then it will reflect well on applying to residencies where research is highly regarded.

Can someone please rate the University of Miami Post Bacc program. I was accepted for the fall and would appreciate any reviews.

TEMPLE BCMS

Pros:

GUARANTEED acceptance to Temple Med. You need a 3.5 gpa and a 30mcat. The 3.5 is the easy part for most. The MCAT is its own beast. I believe that the guaranteed acceptance is unique to Temple and it makes all the difference.

You are taking classes with 100-500 undergraduates, so getting good grades is relatively easy. For that same reason, there is a lot of cooperation and a good atmosphere among the post baccs. Everyone helps each other out and there is no backstabbing.

Cons:

You are taking classes with 100-500 undergraduates. The level of instruction can therefore sometimes suffer. The Bio department is completely dysfunctional.

Summer Semester: Chem I and II with labs: Inorganic Chemistry. Straight forward and relatively easy compared to the workload in the fall and spring.

Fall Semester: Orgo I, Bio I, Physics I with labs. A lot of work but easier then the spring semester.

Spring: Orgo II, Bio II, Physics II with labs. Also MCAT prep begins in earnest. Constantly swamped with work trying to juggle priorities. Probably a lot like med school.

Basic algebra

Make sure that you get straight As during the summer semester. That will give you a nice buffer for the fall and spring.

The director of admissions once said that the post bacc program is designed for "non-traditional" students, not students with low gpa's. You need to show that you are academically capable. It is also very important that you show the admissions committee that you have a solid basis on which you are making the decision to go to medical school. If you haven't yet shadowed a doctor or volunteered at a clinic, do so before submitting your application lest they think that you aren't serious.

Yes. I am taking the MCAT on May 27. I feel confident that I will score well above a 30. Thus I will be joining Temple's class of 2014 in the fall.

The value of the guaranteed acceptance offered by Temple should not be underestimated. It is unique among post bacc programs and creates a completely different atmosphere within the program. Every post bacc student has a seat reserved in the med school class. The program administrators really want every student to succeed.

Five.

Last edited:
IUPUI - Pre-Professional Non-Thesis Masters - Indianapolis
1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)
Program - Leniancy in courses you can take, but still, most all are challenging with a few exceptions.
Faculty - I only had two complaints, but it's part of school, so I can't say it's a terrible thing. Otherwise, they're professors and act like professors.
Difficulty - It is difficult, more so if you decide to work fulltime like myself, but the fact that it's all science makes it easier - if that makes sense.
Other Students - I will say one thing - a LOT of the people in this program either a) have NO idea what this program is about b) are babies or c) are idiots. I have NEVER dealt with such infantile immaturity towards a graduate program. Complaining about curved exams and the such gave me a headache.
Building/Location - It's right in Indianapolis with plenty of apartment choices to fit your budget.

Plant Bio - A focus on the molecular aspects of plants and its implications in our current research (A)
Molecular Bio - No explanation needed. Professor is ridiculous, though, priding himself on making the class as difficult as possible. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT beat yourself up if you don't get an A here
Sensory Systems - Nervous system. This is probably one of the fairest courses you will take. The exams are difficult, but in a fair way, and you can study the material yourself and be fine. Not much to say other than the professor is rather lazy and there are a lot of typos in her notes. She does know her stuff and can answer questions with no problem.
Stem Cell - Easy Professor but this course is probably one of the best because it offers a concrete, organized course on Stem Cells which I found helpful
Biotechnology - Applications of bio research in the real world (monoclonal antibody cancer meds, plant/agro tech, etc). Easy course except for due to so many students taking advantage/trying to take advantage of the professor, she deliberately gave an insane uncurved exam that dropped peoples grades.
Regenerative Medicine - Applicable to medicine and a good professor. Curved exams, but fair, and very interesting material
Developmental Neuro - Rather difficult concepts and more difficult exams. Same professor as Sensory but these exams tended to be more confusing with a lot of descrepancies
Molecular Genetics of Development - Studies 40 genetics-based disorders (all presented by students in class). Interesting course that develops presentation skills while learning about different genetic disorders and their classifications. Fair exams and great professor
Immunology - I can't say much because this was a brand new professor who had never taught before. If you study the lectures, you should have no problem with an A, but her being new made the lectures themselves boring as she recited them word for word.
Microbial Genetics - Disorganized and confusing. Packets are never in order and professor speaks and never/hardly writes. Terrible presenter and annoying packets with a reliance on self-teaching and reading literature for explanation of topics. It is a graduate course, but I'm bitter because you had to give a presentation with no objective measure and I didn't give a good presentation (despite majority class saying otherwise).

It's an SMP. It's difficult and challenging. But the courses are applicable, for the most part, to medicine and interesting. I don't find it to be a waste of time and Indiana does look into this program strongly.
I liked it. I'm sure a 4.0 would've been obtainable if I hadn't worked full-time, but I can't complain about that. Study hard and keep up with the lectures. You DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT need books for this course except for MAYBE Stem Cell
Again, don't expect a walk in the park. I recommend it but I can't say anything atm since I'm just now applying to Med School, but I think really reflects your ability to excel academically
Waiting
Working while in this program - Again, it is feasible, but take caution that it's not advisable. I don't know how I made it but I did.

Last edited:
Goucher PBPM
Class of 2010

1) The Pros and Cons of their program
(structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

• Structure of the program:
    The program is highly structured. You take two semesters of General Chemistry in an 8-week block over the summer. In the fall & spring you take Biology, Organic Chemistry, & Physics.
  • Tuesdays are reserved for volunteering/shadowing. This is only required during the Fall semester, but many people continue volunteering through second semester.
  • The science faculty are fantastic, and highly engaged in the postbacc program. Since there are no undergrads in the classes, professors tailor the curriculum to the needs of postbaccs.
  • There is an MCAT class built into the curriculum, starting w/ gen chem in the fall semester and then all subjects in the spring.
  • The administration is supportive throughout the process. They are knowledgeable about the med school application process, and they work on an individual basis w/ each student to create the best application package they can. This includes helping to edit personal statements, secondary essays, etc. They also keep tabs on our progress to help ensure our success in the program and in the application cycle.
  • The administration and faculty do everything they can to ensure a noncompetitive environment. (Ex: a policy of not discussing grades.)
  • The small class size was a real bonus for me. I felt like our class developed as a close-knit group, which helped us all keep going even when it was exhausting.
  • My classmates were one of the best parts of the program, full stop. They were some of the smartest, most welcoming, supportive people I have ever had the privilege to know. Whenever I had questions or concerns, there was always someone I could talk to. In short, they were *awesome*.
  • It's obviously a very difficult program. The sheer volume of work that needs to be completed in a single year is daunting and can lead to some high-stress times. The grades are not curved, which means it is possible for everyone to earn an A if they work hard enough.
  • The facilities are fine. Our classes are all in the science building, which is ~30+ years old. It has been updated to improve heating/cooling systems (necessary in Baltimore during the summer!), etc. The classrooms are more than adequate for our needs, as are the labs. Although some of the lab rooms are a bit old, the equipment is generally newer. There's also a brand new (opened this past fall) library on campus, which is beautiful.
  • Location! Baltimore is a cool city. It's got an active art and music scene, there's lots of interesting restaurants, and there's always something happening. You can find hiking and camping just a short drive away. DC is within an hour's drive, too. There's a lot to see and do here.

The Goucher campus itself is in Towson, which is outside Baltimore. It doesn't feel like it's in a city at all, which is kind of the best of both worlds.
  • Cons: the cost. Everyone is awarded full loans to cover the cost, but it is expensive. Everything else was a huge positive.

• General Chemistry:
    Lecture runs from 8-10:30 AM every M-Th during the summer. It's followed by lab from 11-2 on M-W. There's a review session every afternoon and an exam every Friday morning. This takes us from the very basics (valences, lewis structures, etc) through titrations, thermodynamics, acids & bases, etc. Lab is carefully planned to support both classroom learning and to reinforce topics that are important for the MCAT. Pre- and post-lab lectures further reinforce topics that are covered in both lab and lecture.
  • Biology:
    Fall semester primarily covers cellular biology. (Ex: phospholipid bilayers, cellular respiration, etc.) Spring semester covers physiology (ex: kidney form and function, respiration, circulation, digestion, etc.) Lab meets for 3+ hours on Thurs.
  • Organic Chemistry:
    Goes from the basics (nomenclature, formal charge, conformational analysis, acid-base reactions) in the fall to more complex reactions (grignard) and syntheses in the spring. Lab meets for 3+ hours on either Mon or Wed, depending on your lab section.
  • Physics:
    Covers things like forces, rotational motion, electricity, & optics. A lot of the homework problems and examples in lectures have medical applications. Lab meets for 3+ hours on Thursdays.

I knew going in that it was going to be hard work, but I don't think it was possible to know what that meant in terms of the amount of time I'd spend studying. Even if I'd known, I'd still have chosen to go to this program, but it would have been nice to be prepared.

There is more than one way to succeed in a program like this. Figure out what your learning style is and stick with it. If your tried-and-true methods aren't producing the results you'd like, experiment with new study strategies. Get ideas from your classmates, but don't compare yourself to them. They have a different learning style, and their strategies might look cool but they might not work for you. Keep your chin up! It's a tough haul, but you'll get through it! Ask for help when you need it.

If you have taken physics OR gen chem before, you may still qualify for the program. If you've taken orgo, however, you will not qualify.

It's for premed students only. You will not qualify if you have any other goal in mind.

Have a coherent story - be able to clearly articulate how and why you decided to become a doctor. Ideally, have volunteer/shadowing experiences that support this goal. You want to be able to demonstrate both that you are committed to your goal and that you know what you are getting yourself into.

Yes, no doubt about it.

A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

5! I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Boston University MAMS
Class of 2011

1) The Pros and Cons of their program
(structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)
PROS:
Its well known and has a strong reputation as does the school that hosts it. Its faculty is the most amazing ever and really cares. The location is a wonderful city although some parts near BU med is slightly ghetto. Still compared to other places like the location of drexel's IMS program, its wayyy better. Its close enough that you can walk to prudential in 15 minutes. The main campus is a 20 minute shuttle ride away. Green line is a 15 minute walk away or a short shuttle ride away.
Lots of study rooms on the R building first floor and Evans building 7th floor if no classes going on in those conference rooms or conferences going on in there. Can use lab rooms when no classes going on in there to study. Library is huge and recently renovated.
Though its difficult professors really want to see you succeed and so do advisors and they are helpful for the most part.
And almost all lectures are either audio recorded or videocast. A small handful of people did neither in Bchm. The rest did one or the other. Mostly its moving towards video based lectures in most classes. Histo used that second semester and will probably have it first semester. The previous year they had only audio. Physio was previously only audio and is now video recorded. So lots of classes are moving towards this for students who find going to class is not helpful when you could study better from home or library without going to class.
CONS:
Cost, extremely difficult but you should know that if you are in an SMP.
Auditoriums are not as nice as USF med auditoriums or Tufts auditoriums. So though there is wireless internet there is not plug outlets at each seat and the auditoriums are like typical undergrad auditoriums. They could use renovating
Other factors:
Competitiveness. Do you mean students being overly competitive with each other and gunners? Well I didn't interact with too many students but only a select handful and they were helpful. I feel like you have your competitive types and your nice types and you find who you will get along with at some point or another.

• Structure of the program:
    1-2 years. Generally regardless of when you finish you take all science classes in year 1 and then do a thesis that ends with library thesis in summer or 4months to 1 year long thesis in following year. Some people, very few, but some people do do a lab thesis in the 1 year track by doing it over fall and spring. Those people are the exceptional people who can study and do research. Not most will be able to do it.
    Medical Classes include:
    1. Histology which is either taken as 6 credits in spring or 3 credits each semester, split into 2. This is an elective however and not taken by all.
    2. Biochemistry which is 6 credits in fall. Required
    3. Physiology which is required and either 6 credits spring or 4 and 2 credits in fall and spring.
    4. Endocrinology 2 credits late spring after physio ends. Just an extension of physio but counted as a separate class
    5. Immunology 2 credits late spring

Graduate classes:
    1. Biostats in spring 2 credits and can be waived out of if proof of equivalent class elsewhere in last 3 years.
    2. Biomedical information 2 credits. For learning how to write thesis and thesis ideas. Spring semester

Immunology, endo, and histo are electives and can be replaced with other classes that are grad classes but if your point is to go to med school you should be taking at least 2 of those 3 even if you skip out on the 3rd. Some people do immuno and endo and skip out on histo. Some take histo and endo but skip out on immuno. People who took the split classes mostly took all of them. There were a few who didn't.

Neuroscience that the med students take is also an elective if you want but its tough and not recommended though special permission can be granted to get in.
    Hmm that's a tough one. I mean I knew it was going to be a lot of work because its an SMP and there is no way you can expect it to be less. But maybe some stuff like where some of the study places I got to know of are would've been nice to know like the 7th floor study rooms in the Evans building.
    There is more than one way to succeed in a program like this. Figure out what your learning style is and stick with it. If your tried-and-true methods aren't producing the results you'd like, experiment with new study strategies. Get ideas from your classmates, but don't compare yourself to them. They have a different learning style, and their strategies might look cool but they might not work for you. Keep your chin up! It's a tough haul, but you'll get through it! Ask for help when you need it.

The above in red is taken from the post I used to get my own post on here. I agree with it. I also will add that you need to not memorize but really understand something in classes because not all questions are memorization based but also require full understanding inside and out. Anticipate what kind of quesitons they could ask.
    Not really sure what to add here. If you are applying SMP you know what it takes

I'll let you know the answer to this in a year. but I've heard from my state school MD admissions officer and 3 at BU that I have a strong shot at Fl. this year due to it. This was not the case last time even though I had an MS where they told me I needed an SMP or in other words one more strong year. So that is a good sign. Let's see what happens.

Edited: So far 1 interview 1 waitlist. Middle of middle 1/3. Time will tell what will happen.
    Edited: 2nd interview was end of March at Wayne state. Waitlistedd

Will edit if new stuff happens.

A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

5! I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Again the red is used from the post I used as a layout for this one and its dead on with what I say about my own program.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about their program, please? Thank you thank you!!!!

Is there anyone out there who attended American U's postbac-- their website flaunts some pretty impressive numbers (90% acceptance rate to med schools), but I'm experiencing some serious difficulty in finding alumni, some admissions statistics, info on courses/instructors, etc. about the program. If you American U alumni exist, please reveal yourselves!!!!

hi i'm new here, and i've been using this forum to decide which SMP to attend. the posts have been really helpful, but there has been only one, fairly negative, post on NYMC. does anyone else have any comments on the NYMC program? I'm strongly considering it, just because of its proximity to home....any advice would be appreciated!

Could anyone please rate CCOM, Dominican, Rosalind Franklin, or SIUC's MEDPREP postbacc programs?

Pros:

GUARANTEED acceptance to Temple Med. You need a 3.5 gpa and a 30mcat. The 3.5 is the easy part for most. The MCAT is its own beast. I believe that the guaranteed acceptance is unique to Temple and it makes all the difference.

You are taking classes with 100-500 undergraduates, so getting good grades is relatively easy. For that same reason, there is a lot of cooperation and a good atmosphere among the post baccs. Everyone helps each other out and there is no backstabbing.

Cons:

You are taking classes with 100-500 undergraduates. The level of instruction can therefore sometimes suffer. The Bio department is completely dysfunctional.

Summer Semester: Chem I and II with labs: Inorganic Chemistry. Straight forward and relatively easy compared to the workload in the fall and spring.

Fall Semester: Orgo I, Bio I, Physics I with labs. A lot of work but easier then the spring semester.

Spring: Orgo II, Bio II, Physics II with labs. Also MCAT prep begins in earnest. Constantly swamped with work trying to juggle priorities. Probably a lot like med school.

Basic algebra

Make sure that you get straight As during the summer semester. That will give you a nice buffer for the fall and spring.

The director of admissions once said that the post bacc program is designed for "non-traditional" students, not students with low gpa's. You need to show that you are academically capable. It is also very important that you show the admissions committee that you have a solid basis on which you are making the decision to go to medical school. If you haven't yet shadowed a doctor or volunteered at a clinic, do so before submitting your application lest they think that you aren't serious.

Yes. I am taking the MCAT on May 27. I feel confident that I will score well above a 30. Thus I will be joining Temple's class of 2014 in the fall.

The value of the guaranteed acceptance offered by Temple should not be underestimated. It is unique among post bacc programs and creates a completely different atmosphere within the program. Every post bacc student has a seat reserved in the med school class. The program administrators really want every student to succeed.

Five.

this isn't the same as temple's SMP right? the 3.5gpa and 30mcat is the same for their SMP but i see you listed all med pre-reqs instead of med school classes.

Pros:
- relatively cheap $550/credit hr - 32 credit hr program.
- everyone pretty much gets in
- Great medical school integration - esp. with UMC
- small classes - biggest one is about 60 people
- Most students are accepted to UMC (see note below)
- if you fail, at least you get a master's degree
- you want a taste of med school/dental school? you'll get that with the 5 hour classes (neuroanatomy, histology, med physiology, gross anatomy)

Cons:
- If you're not from Mississippi, you're not getting into UMC.
- Clinton, MS is a podunk city. You get your bare necessities, and that's it. You have to go into Jackson (which is close) to have any sort of entertainment.
- the 5 hour classes are absolutely brutal

Only 3 out of the 4 five-hour courses are required; many people take all 4. These are the only legitimate courses you'll take and put any actual time into:
- Gross Anatomy - every single hole, divet, nerve, vessel, bone, hole in bone, bump, fissure, etc...you need to know, and that's only half the course. The other half is lecture, which you need to know 100s of clinical applications
- Histology - every tissue or cell in the body, you have to be able to recognize on a slide. EXTREMELY (insignificantly/unnecessarily) detailed material which you are tested on. But hey, it's a med school course, so it'll overly-prepare you..which is good?
- Neuroanatomy - just like gross anatomy, but for the nervous system. it's half memorization, half conceptual (ie. if you sever your spinal cord between L1 and L2, what effects would you see....what if you were given this drug, how would this change it?)
- medical physiology - if gross anatomy and neuroanatomy had a baby, this would be the demon child. But, if you want to Ace med school, you can take this course or take a far easier course at some other university.

-Every other course you'll take is a joke, in comparison to the 5-hr courses. The vast majority of them will not prepare you for medical school at all, but trust me, you'll need these easy As after the 5-hour courses.

That the southern united states is boring, and that this campus is very, very Christian-oriented. If you went to a big undergraduate school and loved your experience, you're going to hate this campus. But, it's only for an academic year. You can suck it up.

If you are already accepted to med school and really want to be at the top of your class (only if you can complete this program successfully), then take this program; a lot of our alumni say med school/dental school is a complete joke compared to this program. Many of our students finish in the 80+,90+ percentile on the Medical School Shelf Exams (which you can register for when you're in this program..if you do poorly, the administration won't send your scores to the schools, if you dont want them to:thumbup:). But, if you're trying to just boost your GPA, then this program is NOT for you. People come through here thinking they can do well just because they went to Notre Dame, Berkeley, and all these tier 1 schools..and boy is it a rude awakening for them when the majority of med phys failed the first 2 exams. So yeah. Just a heads up.

You will have an extreme amount of support from our dean, Dr. Baldwin. He'll add you on facebook and believe me, he'll get you in. I personally don't think they worry too much about your stats; mine were embarrassingly low, and a lot of people here are dumb as bricks. They clearly benefit from stupid people essentially donating their money, so don't worry about not getting accepted.

I haven't applied yet. If you're a Mississippi resident, you're definitely getting an interview at UMC, unless you're failing this program. If you're from MS and you don't get an interview, then you're an idiot and don't deserve it. People who view as 'dumb' in this program are getting interviews, simply because they're from MS (in my honest opinion)

It has also helped a lot of people get into med/dent at the private schools up north (nyu, boston, indiana). A lot of successful applicants into DO schools as well.

It is definitely the best bang for your buck. if you don't get into med, you still get a master's degree. It's cheaper than the rest. If you play your cards right, then it can be a GPA booster program for you; but don't underestimate the difficulty of this program.

Campus - 3
Clinton, MS - 2
Difficulty - 1 (If you just got by on an easy undergrad (ie. pulled off a 3.4+ at an unheard of university), you're probably not gonna do well in this program....or it could be a 4 - some people do finish with 3.8+

Cleveland State University Post-Bacc

CSU's post-bacc is an "informal" post-bacc program. It's very unstructured where you take undergraduate classes to either boost your GPA or fulfill prereqs. It's in downtown Cleveland, OH and close to Cleveland Clinic and Case Western.

Structure: You typically have good priority in registering for classes. There's a good mix of upper-division classes in biology and health sciences available for students because of the medical technology program here. There is no structure you are on your own figuring out what to take, and you have pretty much free reign on what classes to take and when to take them. The staff is pretty lenient when it comes to prereqs for classes.

Staff/faculty: Dr. Modney, the pre-med/pre-health advisor is nice. The teaching faculty can range from fantastic to horrible, and unfortunately, there are more of the latter. Some of them are constantly unavailable, disorganized, and unprofessional. Use ratemyprofessors wisely.

Location: You are a good distance away from some good volunteer/research opportunities with Cleveland Clinic though competition may be tough with Case students.

Competitiveness: NOT COMPETITIVE AT ALL TO GET INTO-- they pretty much accept everyone who's willing to pay.

Facilities/Environment: Some new and some old buildings. Library closes pretty early for a university. It feels more like a community college since most students commute (might be a good thing as a non-trad/post-bacc student). Rec center and student center is pretty nice. Parking can be a problem.

Students: This is probably my biggest complaint. There are a lot of unmotivated slackers and whiney complainers always demanding extra credit.

One strict rule is that post-bacc students cannot take graduate level classes. That being said, there are a lot of "hybrid" undergrad/grad classes that you can take here. Because there's a med tech program here, there's a good amount of courses to choose from. Some that might be of interest: anatomy, pathology, physiology, biochemistry, parasitology, histology, immunology, and clinical ethics.

A lot of students, like I said above, act very entitled, and a lot of professors "give in" to them. Some of the classes aren't taught very well, and your learning suffers. The TAs in the chem department are mediocre to horrible. Hopefully, you get just an apathetic one. The bio TAs are okay.

Lay low, get your A, and get out. Be prepared to do a lot of reading in some classes because the lectures suck. Also, bring a lunch.

Don't do the optional personal statement. They accept everyone.

It might have helped. 1 or 2 interviewers asked about it. I could see it helping people who needs to retake classes or needs to some upper-div classes to raise your GPA.

It's pretty cheap-- about the same price as a lot of state schools (for OH residents) but the cost of living in Cleveland is pretty cheap.

Probably a 2. I'd only recommend it if you want a cheap post-bacc w/o the frills and if you have the patience to deal with the crap from other problem students. But there are plenty of other decent programs out there.

hi i'm new here, and i've been using this forum to decide which SMP to attend. the posts have been really helpful, but there has been only one, fairly negative, post on NYMC. does anyone else have any comments on the NYMC program? I'm strongly considering it, just because of its proximity to home....any advice would be appreciated!

i second that motion :)

1. PROS: Program is only 1 year and if you make their requirements in one year, you directly enter the DO program without having to apply through AACOMAS. Building facilities are nice, Faculty is helpful and supportive. Former students are helpful.
CONS: Neighborhood is shady. Expensive to live in the city. Not much study space, you will have to go study elsewhere or in your home.
2. Classes were exactly what 1st year medical students take, about the same level of difficulty since the same teachers that teach med students taught us.
3. Since the school and the program is new, I expected that they would lack a strong structure and policies. Things constantly change in this program (ie. Grading policies change).
4,5. Be prepared to work your butt off. you definitely can not hold a job alongside doing this program. some people are doing it but having a very difficult time. If you are entering SMP with an intention of entering Touro's MS1, then start out strong because courses get harder each semester and you have to maintain a 3.5. also, there is a comprehensive exam so prepare throughout the year keeping that in mind.
6. I didn't apply elsewhere so relying on Touro to accept me for next year. I will find that out in June.
8. 3 - although this program has its flaws, it's good because you do not have to worry about putting a standardized application together and the whole process. If you work hard and meet their requirement at the end of the year, you are in. that is the only reason i picked this program. The program is quite challenging because you have to do exceptionally well in medical school level classes, but you are not yet in medical school.

I'm interested knowing more about NYU's postbac program if any alumni or current students have any comments~

Thanks!!!

I'm interested knowing more about NYU's postbac program if any alumni or current students have any comments~

Thanks!!!

Look here for a recent updated discussion from this sub-forum. Also, you might find something using the search engine.

Drexel IMS 2010-2011

Note: I try hard to separate my feelings about doing a SMP vs. doing Drexel IMS.

Pros:
Amount of actual medical school courses you take - You take 70% of what DUCOM M1 takes. The big hard science courses we don't take are Genetics and Gross Anatomy (not enough cadavers for 500+ people between IMS, IFM, PIL). Since we are fake medical students, we also don't take things like Physician & Patient.
Lectures are all online with notes provided - All sorts of awesome.
Grading System is against the MS1
Location - Philadelphia is a great city with tons of opportunities to help the underserved. I really like that our classes are downtown in the hospital instead of at QL (the medical school). Some people complain that it's so terrible that we don't get to actually go to QL, but realize that we are a class of 150, and the medical school IFM class is 150 as well - it's impossible to fit everyone in their lecture hall.
Professors - I love the DUCOM teaching staff (most of them). To name a few, Dr. Ferrier (Biochem), Dr. Swaney (Biochem), & Dr. Harris (Physio) are great professors and really great to the IMSers and will come do their reviews to Center City. Dr. Ferrier is the co-author of an amazing Biochem review book too!
Classmates
- Everyone is awesome.

Cons
Medical Ethics - Really not fond of this class, many consider it to be a waste of time. Having taken Medical Ethics before, I don't like how the course is presented, the book is old. On the bright side, it is nearly impossible to fail, and the professor is good at keeping things current.
Risk - There's always a risk in doing a SMP. The goal of a SMP is to show you are capable of handling the academic rigor of medical school. They have to pass (>70%), you have to do better than them (safely >85%). Sounds easy, but it's not.

The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.
Standard M1 classes. Interspersed here is Medicine & Society. This is how the flow of the courses are, because it is not standard fall/semester:

Aug - Biochemistry Microanatomy
Sep - Biochemistry Microanatomy Physiology
Oct - Biochemistry Microanatomy Physiology Nutrition
Nov - Biochemistry Microanatomy Physiology Nutrition Immunology
Dec - Biochemistry Microanatomy Physiology Immunology
Jan - Biochemistry Microanatomy Physiology Nutrition Immunology
Feb/Mar - Microanatomy Physiology Neuroscience
Mar-May - Neuroscience

Something they wished they knew coming into the program, & Tips for Applying
Think about which one to apply to if any at all. If I had to pick a program at all I should have done the MBS program (you prep for the MCAT for a year, then do IMS in your second year). I had a solid GPA (3.6) but also happen to be very ****ty at math. (10/11/7).

Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program
- Adjust really fast or you will fail because the work keeps piling up and up and does not stop
- If you don't go to lecture, at least make sure you ALWAYS do the lecture assigned for that day. You will thank me later.
- I am of the opinion that Immunology is the destroyer of worlds, hopes and dreams. If there is one course you need to try hard at, this is the one. The lectures are terrible and confusing, the test questions are ridiculous. Yes you have to memorize all the cytokines and cell surface markers. Yes, that one little detail you didn't study will be like 5 exam questions, yes, you could just google it in the real world, and no, interferon gamma is not the answer.
- Study for every quiz like it is the module test.
- Volunteering: you probably won't have time to do this, so as it was said in the other review of this program, "get your ducks in a row".

Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?
I have been accepted to 2 DO schools (probably without the program) and received 1 MD interviews (with the program).

Is the program linkage successful?
One common complaint I hear about Drexel on SDN is that it's so terrible and the linkage is awful compared to other SMP's.

Ballpark number here, but there's something like, 125-150 people in the program. Someone told me last year that 40 IMS kids made the guaranteed interview and 20 were eventually accepted. This year 25 made the guaranteed interview (they won't hear the results for another month or so). Those that stay for the MMS year - not a lot do - are very likely to get an interview with DUCOM even if they don't hold the guarantee. The caveat here is that to get the interview you have to make all B's, have a 27 (9/9/9) and take Immunology and Nutrition. Some people do not have the MCAT subscores required for the guarantee, withdraw from the program, or drop a class, disqualifying them.

Of the percentage of people left who are eligible, I think you have a good shot at the guaranteed interview. Bottom line is that for some people it works. It is dependent on you.

THIS HAS BEEN EDITED AFTER TWO YEARS OF MEDICAL SCHOOL

You have a 30+ and a 3.7? Do you have a red flag on your application? Do this program. Otherwise apply right now.
You have a 30+ and a 3.2? Probably do this. Might take you 2 years to get into another medical school though. (I know 10 people who took this route and got in eventually).
You have a 27 and a 3.6? This program could help you (I know 3 people who had these numbers exactly, B's and above, got in to Drexel).
You have a 28 and a 3.6? Or you could apply DO and get in without it. (Which was me).

Essentially I am of the opinion that unless this is your last-ditch GPA IMPROVING effort into getting into a medical school then save 27,000 dollars and retake the MCAT and get above a 31. I'm completely serious.

Last edited:
Georgetown SMP: 2009-2010

Pros:
- If you are in the upper part of the class then you are guaranteed an interview (I forgot what % you have to be in to get it, though. I think it was top 50%)
- Great reputation
- I applied to my current school (USUHS) twice. The first time I got an interview and was put on the waitlist (eventually to be rejected). The second time I applied I was accepted. During my first year of medical school I spoke to one of the people on the admissions board (and a Dean at the school) and he told me that my performance in the Georgetown SMP is what made them decide to accept me. Students so rarely get a decisive answer like that, so I thought I would share. For reference, my undergrad GPA was 3.3, MCAT was 32Q, and Georgetown GPA was 3.8.

Cons:
- Very expensive
- No guarantees on getting into med school, even if you do well in the program
- The program directors play favorites. I won't name names, but I will state that some people accepted to Georgetown med from our SMP class shouldn't have been.

Loyola MAMS SMP

Thought I'd relay my experiences with you all and provide an updated opinion of this program. 1-year Master's of Arts in the Medical Sciences located on the lake shore campus of Loyola University Chicago (not at Stritch).

Pros

Structure of the program: MAMS is very unique in that it is sort of a separate entity, both from the University and Stritch. This was a particular strength IMO, because the advisors/staff/faculty are dedicated to MAMS and not splitting time between med students, etc. IT is a small class size (55 students) which makes everything much more cohesive IMO. The class load is tough (12 grad bio credits/semester), but doable. They are also huge on volunteering and pretty much mandate that you volunteer weekly at one of the various clinical facilities they are associated with (great because this only helps apps when re-applying).

Staff/faculty: I cannot rave enough about the staff/faculty. There are two separate, very approachable advisors whose sole purpose is to get MAMS students into medical school. It honestly made it seem like you have a team supporting you through the med apps process. Also, the faculty my year were top-notch and approachable. This however, can change year-to-year (our biochem prof is now the dept chair and is not teaching this year).

Location: Chicago, can't beat it! (IMO). The lake shore campus is in a pretty so-so area (rogers park), but the red-line is right there, so you are feasibly 20-25mins from the loop. I lived in Wrigleyville while attending MAMS, so living on campus is def not a necessity.

Competitiveness: Another reason why I chose MAMS. None of the classes are graded on a curve. While the difficulty level is very high, the non-curved grades promotes class unity. That is their big selling point, that everyone could feasibly get straight A's (although it does not happen, still nice thought!).

Cons

facilities - There is a lot of construction going on at Loyola right now, which makes the campus look less aesthetically pleasing. That said, I wouldn't choose an SMP based on aesthetic feelings about the campus...

Cost - 30K is pretty steep and COL in Chicago is def high. However, it was well worth it IMO.

Fall Semester - Human Anatomy/Physiology 1, Healthcare Ethics, Advanced Cell Bio (more disease based than undergrad), Advanced Genetics.
Spring Semester - Adv Neurobiology (very disease based as well), Adv Biochemistry (hardest, but most beneficial class at Loyola), Human Anatomy/Physiology 2, Developmental Bio.

Classes on the whole were great. A&P/Neuro were so/so, def not as intense as a med school A&P or Neuro class, but they really help solidify concepts. Biochemistry was the toughest class and hardest I've ever worked for a grade (I took a biochem in undergrad, but this was a new level ha). According to a few MAMS alum, med school biochem is a joke after taking this (which is a nice thought). I'll update on this next year though.

How the linkage with Stritch is misleading. Although it is true that majority of the MAMS students are guaranteed an interview at Stritch, they only accept a relatively small % of those interviewed.

Get your work done, but have fun (standard advice about finding a good balance). My class was real social and def enjoyed the Chicago night-life + intramurals around campus. Also, take advantage of the staff/faculty. These are the people that will be writing your committee letter, so get to know them!

MAMS looks far beyond gpa/mcat (I got in, so that's proof!), so really try and share your story with them.

First app cycle : 2009 - 11 schools applied, 0 interviews , 3.34cgpa,3.19sgpa, 28MCAT

Now (applying in year after MAMS) : 2011 - 20 schools applied, 7 MD interviews (4 prev, 3 upcoming), 1 acceptance, 2 waitlists.
ggpa: 3.96 , 32MCAT

Obviously there are other improvements in my app that may have contributed to more interviews and success this round, but MAMS certainly helped tremendously. I would recommend this program to anybody who may not have the best gpa coming out of undergrad!

5. Great program!

Last edited:
Pros:
- relatively cheap $550/credit hr - 32 credit hr program.
- everyone pretty much gets in
- Great medical school integration - esp. with UMC
- small classes - biggest one is about 60 people
- Most students are accepted to UMC (see note below)
- if you fail, at least you get a master's degree
- you want a taste of med school/dental school? you'll get that with the 5 hour classes (neuroanatomy, histology, med physiology, gross anatomy)

Cons:
- If you're not from Mississippi, you're not getting into UMC.
- Clinton, MS is a podunk city. You get your bare necessities, and that's it. You have to go into Jackson (which is close) to have any sort of entertainment.
- the 5 hour classes are absolutely brutal

Only 3 out of the 4 five-hour courses are required; many people take all 4. These are the only legitimate courses you'll take and put any actual time into:
- Gross Anatomy - every single hole, divet, nerve, vessel, bone, hole in bone, bump, fissure, etc...you need to know, and that's only half the course. The other half is lecture, which you need to know 100s of clinical applications
- Histology - every tissue or cell in the body, you have to be able to recognize on a slide. EXTREMELY (insignificantly/unnecessarily) detailed material which you are tested on. But hey, it's a med school course, so it'll overly-prepare you..which is good?
- Neuroanatomy - just like gross anatomy, but for the nervous system. it's half memorization, half conceptual (ie. if you sever your spinal cord between L1 and L2, what effects would you see....what if you were given this drug, how would this change it?)
- medical physiology - if gross anatomy and neuroanatomy had a baby, this would be the demon child. But, if you want to Ace med school, you can take this course or take a far easier course at some other university.

-Every other course you'll take is a joke, in comparison to the 5-hr courses. The vast majority of them will not prepare you for medical school at all, but trust me, you'll need these easy As after the 5-hour courses.

That the southern united states is boring, and that this campus is very, very Christian-oriented. If you went to a big undergraduate school and loved your experience, you're going to hate this campus. But, it's only for an academic year. You can suck it up.

If you are already accepted to med school and really want to be at the top of your class (only if you can complete this program successfully), then take this program; a lot of our alumni say med school/dental school is a complete joke compared to this program. Many of our students finish in the 80+,90+ percentile on the Medical School Shelf Exams (which you can register for when you're in this program..if you do poorly, the administration won't send your scores to the schools, if you dont want them to:thumbup:). But, if you're trying to just boost your GPA, then this program is NOT for you. People come through here thinking they can do well just because they went to Notre Dame, Berkeley, and all these tier 1 schools..and boy is it a rude awakening for them when the majority of med phys failed the first 2 exams. So yeah. Just a heads up.

You will have an extreme amount of support from our dean, Dr. Baldwin. He'll add you on facebook and believe me, he'll get you in. I personally don't think they worry too much about your stats; mine were embarrassingly low, and a lot of people here are dumb as bricks. They clearly benefit from stupid people essentially donating their money, so don't worry about not getting accepted.

I haven't applied yet. If you're a Mississippi resident, you're definitely getting an interview at UMC, unless you're failing this program. If you're from MS and you don't get an interview, then you're an idiot and don't deserve it. People who view as 'dumb' in this program are getting interviews, simply because they're from MS (in my honest opinion)

It has also helped a lot of people get into med/dent at the private schools up north (nyu, boston, indiana). A lot of successful applicants into DO schools as well.

It is definitely the best bang for your buck. if you don't get into med, you still get a master's degree. It's cheaper than the rest. If you play your cards right, then it can be a GPA booster program for you; but don't underestimate the difficulty of this program.

Campus - 3
Clinton, MS - 2
Difficulty - 1 (If you just got by on an easy undergrad (ie. pulled off a 3.4+ at an unheard of university), you're probably not gonna do well in this program....or it could be a 4 - some people do finish with 3.8+

I approve this message. lol

Last edited:
I have a few friends that have done the SMP at Georgetown, and here is my #1 warning to anyone who is interested in applying: Only apply to this program if you are a science major or have a science background. I'm not talking about having completed only the pre-med requirements. But rather, having taken numerous science classes.

To boost your GPA, you are much better off (if you are a non-science major) to take undergraduate classes at a local college or post-bacc. The classes in this program are designed for students who have seen this material before. Trust me. You will be in way over your heads if you decide to do the program. Again this applies to the non-science majors out there.

I have nothing to gain from writing this post at all - except simply to help others not make the same mistakes that some of my friends did a few years back.

Definitely consider it.

Jon

Bottom line for me was that it was incredibly stressful during Biomed knowing you have to get very good (read A's and B's, doing whatever it takes to avoid C's) grades, but if you work hard it will pay off in a very long term way. People in my class gripe about how Biomeds have an unfair advantage, but hey if they wanted to take on another 30g's in debt and a year of their lives, they could have. It was worth every dime for me!

Aceso,
Thanks for the post -
I've just been accepted into PCOM's program, and I'm waiting on Temple's ACMS. I was wondering if you (or anyone, really) had ever heard a comparison of the two. The more I learn about DO schools, the more I think PCOM would be a good fit, and I'm so happy to have been accepted. However, Temple's linkage is very tempting, too. I was wondering if you had any advice to give? Also, specifically, I heard about unwritten linkages for biomed students who do really well, and I just wanted to know the realities of the program.

Thanks in advance!

I did not attend a post-baccalaureate program, but some of the ones which have a higher percentage of it's students entering med school are the Michigan State, Southern Illinois, and Georgetown. A significant number of the students in each of these programs enter the sponsoring school's medical school, but many gain acceptance else where.

The Rutgers program has a moderate reputation, but a lower percentage of those students enter med school and many go on to Pharm or a PhD.

The Kansas program is decent, but unless you are from a boring town or a neighboring state, I would not recommend matriculating there.
"did not attend a post-baccalaureate program, but some of the ones which have a higher percentage of it's students entering med school are the Michigan State, Southern Illinois, and Georgetown. A significant number of the students in each of these programs enter the sponsoring school's medical school, but many gain acceptance else where."

Michigan state has a SMP or post bacc prog.. ?I didn't see any in their website. COuld someone confirm this?