RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm super sleepy (irnonically watching my patient sleep on a propofol CRI), what does "UIC" stand for?
University of Illinois - Champaign is what I know it as.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm super sleepy (irnonically watching my patient sleep on a propofol CRI), what does "UIC" stand for?

I think kcough is going to University of Illinois - Chicago, IIRC
(Also, FWIW, I'd think U of I with the vet school would be UIUC bc Urbana-Champaign)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think kcough is going to University of Illinois - Chicago, IIRC
(Also, FWIW, I'd think U of I with the vet school would be UIUC bc Urbana-Champaign)

Ski is correct (of course she is, she's me, so would know). It's the University of Illinois-Chicago :) I'm doing a lab animal residency there starting in July.

Reactions: 8 users
Finally ordered the rental chairs for my wedding - my wedding planner (AKA my sister) will be so proud of me! She only asked me to do it about a month ago :p

Reactions: 12 users
First off, congrats to all the new vets!!!

Second, I went to the grocery after working out and while hungry and the only truly unhealthy thing I got was Halo Top ice cream. So proud of myself.

Reactions: 7 users
First off, congrats to all the new vets!!!

Second, I went to the grocery after working out and while hungry and the only truly unhealthy thing I got was Halo Top ice cream. So proud of myself.
I'm trying to get back into the gym habit... it's been really frustrating because the gym near me is ALWAYS busy and I hate wasting 30 minutes waiting for a squat rack or a bench or SOMETHING to move some heavy weights with. That being said, I made it tonight and immediately came home and had a glass of wine and a bag of kettle corn. I guess I'll work on the healthy eating thing later?

[edit] make that two glasses of wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
I'm trying to get back into the gym habit... it's been really frustrating because the gym near me is ALWAYS busy and I hate wasting 30 minutes waiting for a squat rack or a bench or SOMETHING to move some heavy weights with. That being said, I made it tonight and immediately came home and had a glass of wine and a bag of kettle corn. I guess I'll work on the healthy eating thing later?

[edit] make that two glasses of wine.

I did well with the grocery shopping part. I then proceeded to eat a giant bowl of popcorn.

Reactions: 5 users
The director of my program emailed me a paper from TexasA&M CVM--in a nutshell, they've made a 5-year agreement with my school in which up to 5 seats/class will be reserved for applicants from here who meet outlined requirements. Being selected from a smaller sponsored pool, now I'll have a greatly increased chance of acceptance into my IS. THIS IS HUGE.

Reactions: 13 users
I got an A in anatomy. Squeaked by with exactly a 90% and I have never been so thrilled. :soexcited::banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an A in anatomy. Squeaked by with exactly a 90% and I have never been so thrilled. :soexcited::banana:

Congrats aloha what an accomplishment!!! Mind sharing what some of your study tips are for incoming first years? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Last night at our Honors banquet I was flabbergasted to win not 1 but 2 awards! In all 3 of my previous years in vet school I never won anything. It is validating to finally win something as a graduating VM4!

Reactions: 18 users
Made a thai red curry dish from scratch tonight and I'm pretty pleased with it. Used like the entire container of red curry paste cause it wasn't spicy enough. Haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It looked REALLY good!

Here's the recipe I based it off off. Used green/red peppers and green beans as the veggies. Baked some chicken in the oven while making the sauce to use. And it actually turned out pretty decent with the lite coconut milk which the blogger didn't recommend. Oh and used like 3/4 of the red curry paste container and red pepper flakes. I apparently can't make rice though...

Thai Red Curry Recipe with Vegetables - Cookie and Kate

So.. even with the whole physics grading fiasco I think I still graduated with distinction. It said for the college of Ag (majored in animal sciences) the GPA standard is a 3.80.. my GPA is a 3.80.... so I got it right ??

Just finished the last class I needed for pre-reqs (biochem). I've been busting my butt to do well in all 28 credits I needed post-bacc (ALL of my science credits) and I was rewarded with all A's. Man I am so excited to not do school work for the next 3 months!

Reactions: 10 users
There's a stray kitty in my neighborhood that is super rough looking that I'm slowly but surely making friends with. This evening I got home from working and called for him and he coming running. Made me laugh. Food is the ultimate cat friend.

Reactions: 10 users
There's a stray kitty in my neighborhood that is super rough looking that I'm slowly but surely making friends with. This evening I got home from working and called for him and he coming running. Made me laugh. Food is the ultimate cat friend.
@mmmdreamerz ... he gets a meal and he receives lots of kitty care and kindness from you.

This may be the first time the stray kitty has ever experienced the compassionate kindness of a stranger. Thank you for being such a kindhearted person! :cat:

@mmmdreamerz ... he gets a meal and he receives lots of kitty care and kindness from you.

This may be the first time the stray kitty has ever experienced the compassionate kindness of a stranger. Thank you for being such a kindhearted person! :cat:

Haha. He might feel differently once I eventually take him to work with me to be neutered lol. I do really feel bad for him...the more comfortable he gets with me, the more he seems to be a sweet guy. I was pretty excited when he let me pet him last week for the first time:)

Reactions: 4 users
Found my foster dog her forever home! Even through the ridiculously complicated autoimmune disorder and healed in the open position pelvic fracture we found her a loving home! Isn't she a cutie pie?
View attachment 218351
Poor girl got returned today! Apparently she was too noisy when the adopter left for work and was threatened with fines. She is now with us again. But we managed to get our other foster adopted right before picking her up! I really hope it works out for him, I would hate to see two failed adoptions.

Freedom.

My mom had a test in Columbus on Friday to renew her renal dietetics certification so she spent the weekend with me. My brother and dad drove in today so we could all spend Mother's Day together and get a nice dinner (opted for a Japanese steak house). Now everyone is gone and I get to relax and talk loudly to my rabbits.

My brother likes to pretend that he doesn't like animals, but he was taking pictures of the rabbits and trying to feed them treats.

Poor girl got returned today! Apparently she was too noisy when the adopter left for work and was threatened with fines. She is now with us again. But we managed to get our other foster adopted right before picking her up! I really hope it works out for him, I would hate to see two failed adoptions.
@Coopah ... hope her next home is a forever home. At the same time, very happy to hear your other foster dog was adopted - well done! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Aweh, I hope your fosters work out. She is def a qt3.14 and I would snatch her up if I could.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, officially passed second year. I'm 5 points away from the next letter grade up, so hopefully they'll gift us with a small curve :bow:

Also, I had a really good first day at my new job. The vet seems super nice as do the rest of the staff, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the summer!

Reactions: 13 users
Update on doctor: took more blood, as long as bloodwork comes back WNL, we're good to have surgery! :soexcited:

Yay for good outcomes.

I saw a HBT(ruck) on Saturday - beautiful young friendly boy dog shepherd mix. Ambulating, breathing, doing great. Had some abrasions on his head. Owner said he went under the tire. Both eyes were markedly exophthalmic with nasty periorbital swelling, hyperemia, hyphema, non-visual, etc. He kinda looked like a cartoon frog from the side with his big bulging eyes. Owner had no money, so with lots of cautions I sent the dog home with carprofen/tramadol/ocular steroid. (Normally for that severe of traumatic hyphema I'd use topical steroids, atropine, monitor IOPs and tx for glaucoma, etc. This was pretty crappy outpatient "so long and g'luck" type of therapy. But when all the owner has for money after the exam is $60.....)

Heard from the RDVM today that the dog is doing great, is visual again, the eyes are improving....

Woooooo for steroids.

Reactions: 16 users
Got a job interview in a human doctor's lab tomorrow, and hoping they don't care that I'm only available for the summer!

Reactions: 9 users
Ew humans

(But good luck, teep!!!)
Luckily it incorporates my 2 favorite things, lab animals and histology so I can deal with some human docs.
It's at your school though so I hope I don't get into a fight for wearing the right colors

Reactions: 3 users
Luckily it incorporates my 2 favorite things, lab animals and histology so I can deal with some human docs.
It's at your school though so I hope I don't get into a fight for wearing the right colors
As long as you're not wearing the colors from the school in the armpit of the nation, you'll probably be fine. You may get glared at, but nothing will be thrown at you.;)

As long as you're not wearing the colors from the school in the armpit of the nation, you'll probably be fine. You may get glared at, but nothing will be thrown at you.;)
If I ever visit you, I'm wearing scarlet and grey from head to toe. Not because I give a crap about school rivalries (because, really, I couldn't care less) but because I know it will drive you nuts :p

Reactions: 2 users
I've officially gotten my grades back for the semester and somehow managed a 4.0 for the whole year. Pretty proud of that if I do say so myself. :cool:

Reactions: 16 users
We haven't talked about Halo Top enough lately! Went to Tom Thumb in a wealthy part of town and I found Halo Top Heaven!

IMG_1725.JPG

If I ever visit you, I'm wearing scarlet and grey from head to toe. Not because I give a crap about school rivalries (because, really, I couldn't care less) but because I know it will drive you nuts :p
I'll just pretend you don't exist
(And I'm actually just kidding, one of my best friends is in undergrad there, but I do poke fun with her all the time about the rivalry, so really, it doesn't bother me THAT much)

Just bought plane tickets for my summer Chicago trip! Happy to be seeing family again and spend some time with my grandma.
:biglove:

Reactions: 3 users