RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found my foster dog her forever home! Even through the ridiculously complicated autoimmune disorder and healed in the open position pelvic fracture we found her a loving home! Isn't she a cutie pie?
View attachment 218351
Aww, look at that face. Seeing them go to a great home makes it so much easier to let them go, but it's still hard. I hope you're not missing her too much! I'm so happy she found her forever place.

Members don't see this ad.

Found my foster dog her forever home! Even through the ridiculously complicated autoimmune disorder and healed in the open position pelvic fracture we found her a loving home! Isn't she a cutie pie?
View attachment 218351
@Coopah ... that's great news!

I'm really happy you helped your sweet dog find her forever home - she's beautiful!

She could not have found her new home without you - well done!!!

doglove.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I need one of these...

I'm actually pretty impressed with it. Goes on easy, holds the dog in an appropriate place, transfers side load (if he gets distracted) low on the bike so it takes no effort to resist it.....

There's still some risk, to be sure. He could in theory get himself between the front wheel of the bike and the frame (especially if I had to maneuver quickly). But I think it's about as safe as you can reasonably make it.

Tons of fun..... And my dog <loves> it. We've been gradually working up the distance. I hurt his pads a bit ramping up too quickly, but a few days of shorter rides and carprofen and we're back on track.

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of interns stay here. I think I'm just cut out for maybe a less busy ER. Or the Derm life. Still toying with that as a residency.

Give yourself time. Efficiency takes a while. I used to barely handle the load at one of our sleepier ERs when I first graduated. Now I'm at our second-busiest ER and I can keep up as well as anyone. But I'm still not able to handle our busiest ER comfortably. I've done a few primary doc shifts there (we have a primary overnight doc, and a second doc that leaves at midnight) and it <SUCKS> having to round on all the hospitalized cases the next morning. We can easily have 15 hospitalized patients there, which is a crap-ton for one doctor to do records, call owners, and then round in IntMed/Surgery/Neuro/CritCare/ER, depending on where they're going. When I try and round that many in, I'm like "Uhhhhhh..... this is a... uh ..... I have no idea. It's a dog. It's probably IMHA. IntMed, please save me. Kkthx, next cage...."

It's a growth curve. I was grousing about feeling slowwwwww one night at our busiest ER, and one of our longtime docs there said, "Look, LIS, I don't expect anyone to keep up in this place until they have at least 5-6 years of experience. Don't beat yourself up."

So. Give it time. It gets better.

Reactions: 4 users
Every now and then, my mentor takes me into brain surgery with her and it's SO COOL!!! Not that I missed a lecture today for that or anything, but I definitely did and learned a ton and I regret nothing. :happy:

Reactions: 5 users
Every now and then, my mentor takes me into brain surgery with her and it's SO COOL!!! Not that I missed a lecture today for that or anything, but I definitely did and learned a ton and I regret nothing. :happy:

So this is sorta kinda freaking awesome. Go shorty!! I'm going to always love UMN. :)

Pretty sure I saw you today, then when I was in anes prep this morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Get to see my long lost undergrad bestie this weekend. She's flying in Friday for a long weekend, and bringing one of our other undergrad friends with her. And then, in two weeks, I'm flying out to be reunited my vet school people for our annual crawfish boil.

Reactions: 6 users
Did I stare at you super awkwardly? Wait, don't answer that, of course I did. I'm the one who looks like a small, startled owl all the time.

I didn't notice the owl-like resemblance, but I'll have to look next time?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Super excited! I interviewed for a volunteer position at a conservation organization a couple weeks ago. While I was there, the organizer mentioned that they had an opening for an internship position in animal care. She suggested I apply and I got the position! I start next week and will be working with bats, owls, a sloth and more doing animal husbandry and working with their vet at various points for checkups. Yay!

Reactions: 8 users
Super excited! I interviewed for a volunteer position at a conservation organization a couple weeks ago. While I was there, the organizer mentioned that they had an opening for an internship position in animal care. She suggested I apply and I got the position! I start next week and will be working with bats, owls, a sloth and more doing animal husbandry and working with their vet at various points for checkups. Yay!

2 or 3-toed. It's an important question that @Trilt needs to know

Reactions: 7 users
2 or 3-toed. It's an important question that @Trilt needs to know
(Two toed sloths are much, much more common in captivity. They eat a fairly varied diet while three toeds are really particular and much more vegetarian/leafy cecropia ... would bet money it's two toed).

Guinea pig cystotomy came in for an incision recheck/check-up and has gained almost 100g in the past week and a half! Eating well, drinking well, incision is almost 100% healed and even though the piggy is a bit pissed off at no longer getting spinach, the owner is thrilled. :banana:

Reactions: 22 users
I might be car-less this week and have no groceries but at least I have Grub Hub to deliver tasty food to my door. I had Chinese food Monday, barbeque Wednesday, and Greek tonight. It's been an expensive food week, but I'm happy to try some new places.

I'm also happy to be stuffed with lamb kabob and baba ganoush. My only regret is not getting some baklava for dessert.

Finished my last day of rotations today. Have tomorrow off then graduation on Saturday! SO PSYCHED YOU GUYS I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE IT! Am happily drinking 'water' and wondering how late I'll be up tonight.

Reactions: 18 users
Finished my last day of rotations today. Have tomorrow off then graduation on Saturday! SO PSYCHED YOU GUYS I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE IT! Am happily drinking 'water' and wondering how late I'll be up tonight.
Me too! Had my first glass of the red variety in ages, but now I don't want to sleep. Rehearsal tomorrow! So excited!!!

Reactions: 4 users
18222672_1655763197786239_1377002516030200754_n.jpg

My wife doctored up my graduation cap. :)
So... I'm really bad at reading super flowy cursive and I was confused because, to me, it said "future ISU dog dog". And that didn't make sense.

But then I wondered if it's a c, not a g.
So then it was "future ISU doc doc"... also not right. Eventually I got it right! I like it! :laugh:

So... I'm really bad at reading super flowy cursive and I was confused because, to me, it said "future ISU dog dog". And that didn't make sense.

But then I wondered if it's a c, not a g.
So then it was "future ISU doc doc"... also not right. Eventually I got it right! I like it! :laugh:

It is "Future ISU Dog Doc". :)

Reactions: 5 users
In case anyone is interested ...

I have received a copy of "The Lion King" and the movie will be shown this weekend at my first (and only) Lion King Barbecue Party.

This means I will finally learn what "is" an elephant graveyard ... plus all of the other names mentioned in the recent WW Lion King game.

I can't wait to see it! :)

LK.jpg

Reactions: 19 users

I have received a copy of "The Lion King" and the movie will be shown this weekend at my first (and only) Lion King Barbecue Party.

This means I will finally learn what "is" an elephant graveyard ... plus all of the other names mentioned in the recent WW Lion King game.

View attachment 218553

Totally thought DocS was gonna invite us all over :sorry:

Reactions: 10 users

View attachment 218553
This sounds like my kind of party :heckyeah:

Reactions: 6 users
Successfully released an orphaned gosling to a new family (geese parents readily take orphans from other geese if they're the same size as their own young). It's really cute to watch! Also got a panicked call from a clinician asking me to do her daughter's prom makeup today :laugh: It turned out really well.

Reactions: 9 users
[One Day After The Lion King Barbecue Party at my Home]

I loved The Lion King!!! I wish I had seen it a long time ago!!!

Guess what? I was the only person at the party who had never seen The Lion King. So everyone else was having fun watching my reactions to the movie (e.g., tearing-up when Simba was mourning the death of Mufasa, laughing at the funny antics of Rafiki and Pumbaa).

Now I recognize different names (e.g., Simba, Nala, Rafiki, Zazu, Mufasa, Scar, etc.); and landmarks (water hole, pride rock, elephant graveyard); and some catch-phrases (hakuna matata, circle of life). The mods added props from the movie (e.g., grubs) - very clever indeed!

Hey mods: can we play another Lion King WW game? :)

poster1.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
[One Day After The Lion King Barbecue Party at my Home]

I loved The Lion King!!! I wish I had seen it a long time ago!!!

Guess what? I was the only person at the party who had never seen The Lion King. So everyone else was having fun watching my reactions to the movie (e.g., tearing-up when Simba was mourning the death of Mufasa, laughing at the funny antics of Rafiki and Pumbaa).

Now I recognize different names (e.g., Simba, Nala, Rafiki, Zazu, Mufasa, Scar, etc.); and landmarks (water hole, pride rock, elephant graveyard); and some catch-phrases (hakuna matata, circle of life). The mods added props from the movie (e.g., grubs) - very clever indeed!

Hey mods: can we play another Lion King WW game? :)

View attachment 218625
Wait until you watch Lion King 2! It's one of my favorite Disney sequels! It features Simba's daughter (the one that was born at the end of the first movie)

Reactions: 2 users
Wait until you watch Lion King 2! It's one of my favorite Disney sequels! It features Simba's daughter (the one that was born at the end of the first movie)
Can someone Rabbit this ?!?!

Also, another rave for today - it is gorgeous weather outside, the dogs have been worn out from a long trip to the dog park, I murdered some invasive plants in the back yard, and am now relaxing with a GIANT bag of puppy chow next to me. And no major responsibilities looming on the horizon :D

Reactions: 8 users

Also, another rave for today - it is gorgeous weather outside, the dogs have been worn out from a long trip to the dog park, I murdered some invasive plants in the back yard, and am now relaxing with a GIANT bag of puppy chow next to me. And no major responsibilities looming on the horizon :D
I love your new signature :p I just got summoned for jury duty last month but was able to get out of it because of clinics.

we can do that! Maybe after this week because finals </3