RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's super cool seeing your posts shared by people I know outside SDN. I've definitely told people, "Yeah, I kinda know this nerd" lol
Same 😂

Members don't see this ad.

It's super cool seeing your posts shared by people I know outside SDN. I've definitely told people, "Yeah, I kinda know this nerd" lol
Hahaha nerdy and proud of it 🤓

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @TelemarketingEnigma, have you done this witchcraft called a Georgia twist into a crossback?

Dubz and I were discussing it after it broke my brain at class today. I only achieved it once.
Probably not, at least not by that name - I mostly do hard apparatuses these days (Lyra/trapeze), maybe have done it at some point in the past but would probably need a video to remember!

Reactions: 1 users

The twist is black magic, istg.

Ooh fancy. I can’t recall if I’ve ever done that one but I see why it’s black magic
Lyra seems like bruise central to me, but I have bruises from the silks last night anyway so maybe it wouldn't be that different lol
Yeah it’s definitely bruise central lol, but it gets better with practice (probably because I’ve destroyed all the relevant capillaries??) but silks hurts my brain more haha. Trapeze is just the right amount of twisting around in ropes for me, watching really good silks people do all the funky wraps just confuses my brain (in an inspiring way)

I did some lyra but haven't gotten back to it since I've been focusing on silks performance stuff. Agree it's bruisy but it's also fun and a lot easier on the brain than remembering how to do all the silks steps correctly lol I'm planning to go back to one silks class and one lyra class a week after the showcase

I didn't realize that silks have gotten popular. Makes me kind of want to look into it sinceI haven't done silks since middle school.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Ooh fancy. I can’t recall if I’ve ever done that one but I see why it’s black magic

Yeah it’s definitely bruise central lol, but it gets better with practice (probably because I’ve destroyed all the relevant capillaries??) but silks hurts my brain more haha. Trapeze is just the right amount of twisting around in ropes for me, watching really good silks people do all the funky wraps just confuses my brain (in an inspiring way)
I miss trapeze. There wasn't enough demand for the class at my studio when they cut things down due to COVID and it still hasn't come back.

I did a ton of lyra during lock down because I could set up near my house, but returned to silks as soon as the studio reopened and have maybe touched my lyra three or four times in the last year. All my callouses completely gone, wah.

It's funny you're calling it black magic, because that's literally the first entrance to cross back I was taught. :laugh:
TRILT HOW I CAN'T DO THE TWIST MY BRAIN JUST STOPS WORKING
I get the flamenco grip and then I'm like welp. This is where I live until I die.

The first entrance I learned was a chair entrance, and I ended up doing that yesterday since I was only able to comprehend the Georgia twist once.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny you're calling it black magic, because that's literally the first entrance to cross back I was taught. :laugh:
TRILT HOW I CAN'T DO THE TWIST MY BRAIN JUST STOPS WORKING
I get the flamenco grip and then I'm like welp. This is where I live until I die.

The first entrance I learned was a chair entrance, and I ended up doing that yesterday since I was only able to comprehend the Georgia twist once.
I've now done this so many times that I've forgotten how to do any other method.

My instructor was like "look, it's become your favorite!" and I was like lol pls u just made me do it so much that now it's the only one I know, let's not call it a favorite, per se

@TelemarketingEnigma I did a thing today finally, after 2ish months of flopping like a fish trying to get it
1644727569452.png

maybe next time I won't be super tired and will actually straighten my legs so it's a better picture :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Next week, I have an interview for a job that is pretty much the perfect crossroads between all of my weird interests! And is almost certainly PSLF eligble provided that there are no snags down the line and the program isn't cut but this is the only semi-realistic avenue for me to ever be rid of my loans let me have hope!

Not sure how I'll manage the move should I actually be offered it, but hey. I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. :)
Now I’m curious what this job is!
So I know it's been... several months... since this happened, but I realized that I never answered this or elaborated on exactly what the job was.

Also, uh, hi. I needed to take a break from all things vet med for a while for mental health reasons and I was so addicted to SDN at the time that the only way for me to effectively do that was to delete my old account entirely. I'm feeling better now and am ready to start participating again. Honestly, I kind of wanted a fresh start and to disconnect myself from my embarrassing old posts, anyway, so it's not the worst thing. I missed you guys!

The job would have been with my state's Department of Conservation, mainly reviewing and drafting wastewater and aquatic venue permits and doing some amount of statistical analysis work. Unfortunately, I was the runner-up for the position after my interview and got just eeked out by someone with a little more professional (non-academic) experience, so it's back to the drawing board for me.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
So I know it's been... several months... since this happened, but I realized that I never answered this or elaborated on exactly what the job was.

Also, uh, hi. I needed to take a break from all things vet med for a while for mental health reasons and I was so addicted to SDN at the time that the only way for me to effectively do that was to delete my old account entirely. I'm feeling better now and am ready to start participating again. Honestly, I kind of wanted a fresh start and to disconnect myself from my embarrassing old posts, anyway, so it's not the worst thing. I missed you guys!

The job would have been with my state's Department of Conservation, mainly reviewing and drafting wastewater and aquatic venue permits and doing some amount of statistical analysis work. Unfortunately, I was the runner-up for the position after my interview and got just eeked out by someone with a little more professional (non-academic) experience, so it's back to the drawing board for me.
You will find your fit. Professionally, personally... it will happen. In the meantime... hugs and you are doing great. Take whatever breaks you need.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Good to see you :)

I’m sorry it didn’t work out. That does sound like a very niche position! I’ll keep my fingers crossed something equally appealing pops up soon.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Did my first solo emergency foreign body surgery today! Went well and I'm hoping I can send her home tomorrow :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I just found out that I got awarded a scholarship to my vet school!!

I am over the moon. All of those unpaid internships & community service hours are paying off. It feels great to be recognized. My family has always struggled financially and I have a lot of debt from my undergrad degree, so this is helping me so much. It really gives me confidence that I will be able to pay off my debt comfortably and be in a profession I love.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
No longer homeless🥳
I about had a heart attack trying to find temporary housing (I may have called 34 numbers and only gotten essentially 1 realistic option) but my new boss is a magical, wonderful human being. AND the pup gets to stay with us for the short term too!

Reactions: 13 users
The best thing about this picture:
1654973920799.png

is not that I've been working for 6 months to get strong enough to do this, or that I'm pointing my toes, or that I'm actually smiling.

No.

It's that there's absolutely nothing to put my size in perspective, so for all you know, I'm actually a giant and not the size of a 10 year old :heckyeah:

@TelemarketingEnigma

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
The best thing about this picture:
**Poof for protection **

is not that I've been working for 6 months to get strong enough to do this, or that I'm pointing my toes, or that I'm actually smiling.

No.

It's that there's absolutely nothing to put my size in perspective, so for all you know, I'm actually a giant and not the size of a 10 year old :heckyeah:

@TelemarketingEnigma
Hmmm you don't look as evil as I assumed.... you and WZ hide it well

• Wow
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I got a small scholarship for first year that I totally forgot I applied for. Very happy right now, especially because I had no expectation of getting it.

• Love
I passed my PhD qualifying exam :soexcited: I have the potential to do independent research guys :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
  • Love
I took my specialty boards exam on Friday. It was the worst, stupidest, multiple hours long experience of my life but I did it and its over and done with for at least a year. Won't find out if I passed for another few weeks but its DONE, hence the rave thread.

Now just have to hope I passed and don't have to do this song and dance again next year.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Have I not been able to find the Oreo thins I like (just the plain ol regular stuf ones with no other flavor) in store?? NOPE NOT IN THREE DIFFERENT CITIES IN FOUR DIFFERENT GROCERY STORES.

Did I just find them in my towns target on the app and order 3 packs for pick up? YOU BET YOUR ASS I DID.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I took my specialty boards exam on Friday. It was the worst, stupidest, multiple hours long experience of my life but I did it and its over and done with for at least a year. Won't find out if I passed for another few weeks but its DONE, hence the rave thread.

Now just have to hope I passed and don't have to do this song and dance again next year.
Update: I PASSED!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
Update: I PASSED!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Congrats!!! :highfive: I know that's the best feeling! I'm currently in hardcore study mode for our first board exam coming up at the end of August and just cannot wait for it to be over! And hopefully I have the same result :nailbiting:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
After 5 years of hard work and 8 months of intense editing, I just submitted my VMCAS applications. I literally never thought I would get here and I am so so so proud of myself. Many times I told myself I would never get here, I couldn't afford it, I would never make it, etc. Statistically, I should not be applying to vet school and this feels like my biggest accomplishment. I feel like I am on top of the world. Regardless of if I am accepted this cycle or not, I am just so grateful for the experience because it has truly been rewarding. I'm literally crying happy tears rn. This seriously feels so amazing and surreal!!!!!!!!! :soexcited:

Sooooo....now what?? lol.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users