RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are these vetties volunteers? An organization?
Vetties with wildlife disaster organization.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
This female grey fox kit presented with full thickness burns down to the bone on the bottoms of all 4 paws sustained in one of the recent California wildfires. She was dehydrated, emaciated, anemic, hypoglycemic, weighed only 2.42 lbs. ... and her eyes were coated shut. Following admission, her burns were treated with Manuka honey and small sheets of silver dressings to prevent infection and to promote healing.
Eleven days later, she's doing better - thanks to the Vetties!!! :biglove:

View attachment 343812

This is not a joyful rave but I placed it here because it was originally a "rave" before things suddenly went downhill.

Now, it is a sorrowful update.

Very sorry to report this little female fox kit is gone.

According to one of her veterinarians: "she was making great strides forward and healing her wounds. Unfortunately, burn injuries can result in a hit to the immune system, making it harder to fight off other infections. During her recovery, she developed a severe secondary gastroenteritis infection that she was unable to recover from."

Sending a big shout-out to all of the veterinarians, techs, and dedicated caregivers, who tried so hard to save her life. Despite their best medical efforts and compassionate care, it just wasn't meant to be this time. Ugh.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
The first exam of this year had been equine and I'll be honest, I kinda flopped it. Then our next exam was a crap-shoot (everyone logged on to take it, found it to be really easy, only to shortly after receive an email saying that the last year's exam had accidentally been uploaded and they were as a result going to cancel that exam completely). Since then, I've been doing much much better on the exams. Our 2nd equine exam was Friday and I had bumped my grade over 20% from the last one. Then today came to realize that actually a lot of people did really well on it, and then though was technically above average, over 50% of the class fell in the same bracket :lol: Still a rave!

I'm forced to care about grades because I'm trying to match next year, and this is actually our only year that counts towards our rank prior to the match. I think it is kinda BS but the reason is that at WSU you have three separate campuses falling in the same program. So more students join us during 2nd year, and it resets our rank, and then even more people join us during 3rd year, so again resets our rank.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since I can't post about this on Facebook, I'll do it here.

I've been feeling totally defeated about not being able to keep up with the normal life things, for example, cleaning the house. I just get such limited time off from work that the last thing I want to do is clean the entire house.

I'm only 1 person and 1 cat so it isn't like it gets super messy, but still. It takes all day, then it makes me sore and tired and quite frankly, I don't want to dedicate one entire day of my limited days off to cleaning.

I had told myself when I bought the house I'd totally be able to keep up with everything including yard work. I gave up on the yard work a couple years ago and have hired regular landscapers, best thing ever.

Well, I've decided to do the same with the house work. I've officially hired regular cleaning services and I'm just so much happier for it. At first I felt like it was failing, but it isn't, I'm removing one thing from my plate to allow myself better balance in life. And that's totally a good thing.

• Care
Reactions: 22 users
@DVMDream I’m considering the same when I get moved in a couple weeks. I am capable of cleaning, but I don’t like doing it. I hate how it’s never ending…by the time I get everything done it’s time to start the list again. I think my mental health will improve and it’ll be well worth the expense. There’s definitely no shame in it!

Reactions: 3 users
I paid off my student loans this weekend! The payment cleared today. It’s nice to have that weight off my shoulders. On to the next goals!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 26 users
I paid off my student loans this weekend! The payment cleared today. It’s nice to have that weight off my shoulders. On to the next goals!
Oh whatever will you do without the drive of your student loans on your back to keep you going! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Oh whatever will you do without the drive of your student loans on your back to keep you going! :laugh:
Well, I two months ago bought a house that cost twice what my student loans ever were. And I’ve (aka my dad did it or I paid a contractor to) repaired the fence, redid floors in 60% of the house, gutted and renovated the main bathroom, removed paneling in the dining room, repaired drywall where some dates spindles were, and bought all new appliances. The kitchen and half bath could still be renovated and I’m thinking of getting a horse in early 2022, so I imagine I’ll have enough other stuff to pay for for a while!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
repaired the fence, redid floors in 60% of the house, gutted and renovated the main bathroom, removed paneling in the dining room, repaired drywall where some dates spindles were, and bought all new appliances. The kitchen and half bath could still be renovated
My husband and I are going to be doing nearly all of this. If I need tips, I may message you.... lol

My husband and I are going to be doing nearly all of this. If I need tips, I may message you.... lol
Any time! I freely admit my dad and the contractor did most of the work. I did help a lot with the floor, so if you’re laying luxury vinyl plank floor I do have advice and resources for that.

• Love
I still do a weekend a month at my old clinic. Because I’m the only dr that would see exotics, they now mostly get consolidated into my day. So today I saw one cat, one dog, two rabbits and six guinea pigs. Best day ever.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Enjoying working with the cardiologist! It is nice getting to know the 4th years coming through their rotation and the interns. I have decided to work for him full time this summer and do some visits to shadow other cardiologists after my trip with the vet school to Belgium! (Second year is a %^*&^%).

Reactions: 2 users
The house is officially to the point where it has drywall. ETA slipped from late November to early January, so no Xmas at my house. I'm so over this process I started a year and a half ago. Also it's expensive. And my (current) house is full of boxes of stuff.

How have I not posted on SDN since August? Weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Bats, Ella, Sadie, and I moved into our new house yesterday!!! Still have somethings to fix up by HVAC/electrician, and then long term projects will start. But very excited to be in our house just the two of us!!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Mr. Bats, Ella, Sadie, and I moved into our new house yesterday!!! Still have somethings to fix up by HVAC/electrician, and then long term projects will start. But very excited to be in our house just the two of us!!
Congrats!
Henry, Murphy, and I also moved into our new house this weekend, too. Everyone tells me that this is when the real fun of homeownership starts, haha. The dogs already love having their yard to run and play in and I love not hearing apartment neighbors upstairs anymore. Got my office set up yesterday with help from my dad. We really didn’t think everything was gonna fit in the 6x12 uhaul trailer we rented in Memphis, but with some very careful tetris-style packing and putting the couch, a bookshelf, and chair in the beds of the two trucks we got everything in. Just barely.

• Love
So Mr. Bats and I have told almost everyone we want to tell in person, so this will be my first social media post about this. But we have a Baby Bats joining us in June 2022!! For those who know me on Facebook, I'll be announcing there later this week. :)

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
So Mr. Bats and I have told almost everyone we want to tell in person, so this will be my first social media post about this. But we have a Baby Bats joining us in June 2022!! For those who know me on Facebook, I'll be announcing there later this week. :)
Congrats Bats!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!!!!

• Love
Officially Fully Vaccinated (again) 🎉🎉🎉
Hey, congrats! Me, too; I finally got Moderna booster'd yesterday morning after work. I'm feeling some general malaise and my arm is still sore, but I'm thankful for the peace of mind. Science is amazing.

Reactions: 8 users
Took my puppy to a dog show for the first time ever. Pretty happy with how he did considering we’re both brand new at this and have only been practicing for a month. He won 2nd place in the scenthound group for show 1 and 3rd place in the group for show 2. (The one ribbon says 4th but I assure you we won 3rd lol, just got the wrong ribbon.) We have two more shows tomorrow so hoping our luck continues or even improves! Sorry in advance if the photo is huge, posting from mobile.

E61D9304-EE73-4303-AE32-39898A984FDE.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Aerial class is fun. That’s all.

@TelemarketingEnigma this smol and fancy and fearless potato did THREE CLIMBS every time tonight, and did my first roll up, and my first inversion that wasn’t on a knot! And I started learning how to do hip keys from a Russian climb, but I kinda suck at that so far 😂

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Aerial class is fun. That’s all.

@TelemarketingEnigma this smol and fancy and fearless potato did THREE CLIMBS every time tonight, and did my first roll up, and my first inversion that wasn’t on a knot! And I started learning how to do hip keys from a Russian climb, but I kinda suck at that so far 😂
YAAAAASSSSS we love it

• Love
@JaynaAli I thought you got a Cairn terrier…? Did I miss something? :laugh: Congratulations thiugh!

For his first birthday she got him a brother :laugh:

This is correct. Murphy my Cairn will be two in February. This past spring I also got Henry, who is a Basset Fauve de Bretagne…it’s a rare French basset-type scenthound originally used to hunt rabbits. Their birthdays are one year and three days apart. Murphy is a pet and we do Barn Hunt. Henry is also pet but we’ve started Barn Hunt and conformation shows. And we’re probably going to try scentwork.

• Love
This is correct. Murphy my Cairn will be two in February. This past spring I also got Henry, who is a Basset Fauve de Bretagne…it’s a rare French basset-type scenthound originally used to hunt rabbits. Their birthdays are one year and three days apart. Murphy is a pet and we do Barn Hunt. Henry is also pet but we’ve started Barn Hunt and conformation shows. And we’re probably going to try scentwork.
Ahh that makes more sense. That’s really cool! How did you become interested in the breed?

Ahh that makes more sense. That’s really cool! How did you become interested in the breed?
Stumbled across them researching breeds. They seemed like a fit for what I wanted. My grandpa had scenthounds like bassets and coonhounds when I was little but these are slightly smaller and much more moderate all around than a basset…a little longer legged, shorter back, and all around healthier so no huge issues (yet) with things like IVDD or epilepsy that regular bassets struggle with. I didn’t intend to show when I got him (I just wanted a dog that was a good pet who might enjoy things like barn hunt) but the breeder said he was really nice and he’s really well bred so I was convinced to give it a try.

Stumbled across them researching breeds. They seemed like a fit for what I wanted. My grandpa had scenthounds like bassets and coonhounds when I was little but these are slightly smaller and much more moderate all around than a basset…a little longer legged, shorter back, and all around healthier so no huge issues (yet) with things like IVDD or epilepsy that regular bassets struggle with. I didn’t intend to show when I got him (I just wanted a dog that was a good pet who might enjoy things like barn hunt) but the breeder said he was really nice and he’s really well bred so I was convinced to give it a try.
Neat :) Are they technically hounds?

Neat :) Are they technically hounds?
Yes. They aren’t fully recognized by the AKC yet because there aren’t enough in the US (but we’re working on it!), but other registries like the United Kennel Club (UKC) and many foreign registries recognize them and have them in the scenthound group.

Next week, I have an interview for a job that is pretty much the perfect crossroads between all of my weird interests! And is almost certainly PSLF eligble provided that there are no snags down the line and the program isn't cut but this is the only semi-realistic avenue for me to ever be rid of my loans let me have hope!

Not sure how I'll manage the move should I actually be offered it, but hey. I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Next week, I have an interview for a job that is pretty much the perfect crossroads between all of my weird interests! And is almost certainly PSLF eligble provided that there are no snags down the line and the program isn't cut but this is the only semi-realistic avenue for me to ever be rid of my loans let me have hope!

Not sure how I'll manage the move should I actually be offered it, but hey. I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. :)
Now I’m curious what this job is!

Not sure how I'll manage the move should I actually be offered it, but hey. I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes
If we have to help you couch surf from one SDNer to the next, we'll do it!

If we have to help you couch surf from one SDNer to the next, we'll do it!
Haha. It's not actually that far (only a couple of hours away). It's just that, with how little I'm currently making and am able to save, I don't know if I will be able to afford it. Not to mention breaking my current lease if I need to, though I may get lucky with the timing on that. Which would help tremendously.

The US travel restrictions that were in place for a good 18 months have been a nightmare for my long distance relationship. So happy to finally get to be able to spend time with my favorite person in person.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Fingers crossed....but tomorrow should be my last chemo!!!!!! (will depend on labs that were drawn today) It has been a long haul, started these in July. Cannot wait to say, "this is it, I am done, last one".

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 26 users
The US travel restrictions that were in place for a good 18 months have been a nightmare for my long distance relationship. So happy to finally get to be able to spend time with my favorite person in person.

Annnd he asked me to marry him! We'd been talking about it but he still managed to surprise me with the timing. 2022 had a good start. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Finally got my boss to let me help out more with the residency interview planning. I got to send out the interview offers and start working on the scheduling and it has given me so much happiness! Like, sparking major joy. I think it's in reliving the excitement of being in vet school and receiving those interview offers and imagining where my life was going to take me.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
It's my little pathology blog's birthday today!! Can't believe I've written over 150 posts so far... at least it's been fun :laugh:

• Love
It's my little pathology blog's birthday today!! Can't believe I've written over 150 posts so far... at least it's been fun :laugh:
It's super cool seeing your posts shared by people I know outside SDN. I've definitely told people, "Yeah, I kinda know this nerd" lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users