RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A new rave and a belated one:
Started new non-clinical federal job last week. Just starting week 2 and I’m still excited about it.

Also today I got offered a Board of Directors position with the Association of Asian Veterinary Medical Professionals (AAVMP)!! Wasn’t a position that I had applied for but they created some additional new positions so I’m super excited about that :biglove: :biglove:

(but because my paranoia is strong, I am waiting for the anvil or piano to fall from the universe :thinking: + insert old shifty eye meme here)

Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Started new non-clinical federal job last week. Just starting week 2 and I’m still excited about it.

Also today I got offered a Board of Directors position with the Association of Asian Veterinary Medical Professionals (AAVMP)!! Wasn’t a position that I had applied for but they created some additional new positions so I’m super excited about that :biglove: :biglove:

(but because my paranoia is strong, I am waiting for the anvil or piano to fall from the universe :thinking: + insert old shifty eye meme here)
Yay kaydubs!!! I didn’t even know they had an Association of Asian Veterinary Medical Professionals. I love being able to feel represented in a field where Asians are definitely a minority!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! :)

• Love
I've got a job-related rave of my own.

For those who don't already know, I left my county health department a couple of weeks back; the fact that I was practically begging to be put on COVID-19 vaccination clinics rather than the duties I was actually hired for should have been my first sign, in retrospect, but the role of an EHS/health inspector just... not for me. It might have been tolerable if I had more support and wasn't relegated to doing pretty much exclusively food establishments (my biggest interest area was water quality, and I did manage to get pool certifications but wasn't able to ever use them, unfortunately) where I dealt with crazies on the regular. I'm glad I tried it, but I just don't think I'm honestly that good at it and it was causing me far more stress than it was worth.

I ended up going back to my cardiac monitor technician job at a local hospital. The primary reason I left initially was due to the money, but they've offered me a higher pay to come back and they've addressed the few other minor qualms I had. Many of the nurses and a few doctors told me that they really missed me; it's nice to feel appreciated sometimes. Oh, and I completely forgot just how fulfilling this job is. I'm on my second day back and already caught an NSTEMI and a developing 2nd degree T2.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it weren't for the student debt issue, I think my not completing vet school would actually have been a net positive for me. I've learned a lot about myself over the three years since my dismissal and I've come to realize that I probably would have despised being a vet. My mental health issues and overall personality and various idiosyncrasies just don't mesh well with the demands and challenges of the profession. I think if my grades hadn't been utter garbage and I'd been able to graduate and specialize, I might have been okay; realistically, though, I was most likely going to wind up in GP and I don't think I would have survived long there. Just wish I would have realized that BEFORE getting into a stupid amount of debt.

Yeah. I do enjoy my little niche role: providing patient care in my own special way, as indirect and behind-the-scenes as it may be. :)

I wish I could stay indirect and behind the scenes even more than I am now in regards to patient care. If I could remove the needing to talk to the humans attached to the patient part... I'd be much happier.

I hope you continue to find all the happiness you deserve.

It was my last day of work today before I graduate and go home for the summer before vet school, and my work got me a purple littmann classic iii and a chocolate cake as my going away gifts😭

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I ultrasounded a betta fish today and did ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirates of its abnormally enlarged liver, and it was just really cool :happy:

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
@KCgophervet hope your baby is doing well.

So glad first year is over! Got my grades and they were what I wanted. Glad to have a good job at the school Veterinary Research Scholars Program and one with our cardiologist for the summer. Big Rave is that my cold call to a vet in Idaho worked out and I'm going to Sun Valley for a week to get one of my credits for doing some 40 hour internships and they found a place for me to stay while I'm there. Plane ticket bought (by parents - yeah!) so the plan is there for the end of the summer.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the tag or I would have missed it!!!! @allygator13 how did the betta do? anything from the aspirate?

Hey! It came back as neoplasia - possible gonadal or neuroendocrine origin! Not sure what they were going to do with the fish... The owner was interested in surgery if it could be resected lol.

Hey! It came back as neoplasia - possible gonadal or neuroendocrine origin! Not sure what they were going to do with the fish... The owner was interested in surgery if it could be resected lol.
Wow! hope it goes well. I'm not sure what that prognosis is. Bettas are very prone to neoplasia. How old is this betta? Where are you doing your residency?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Wow! hope it goes well. I'm not sure what that prognosis is. Bettas are very prone to neoplasia. How old is this betta? Where are you doing your residency?

1 year old! I'm at NC State :)

Young chihuahua mix with a habit of chewing ("but not eating"!) fabric, had been acting abnormally for the last week or so. On some meds from rDVM earlier in the week - no appetite but also no vomiting... super painful and biting on abdominal palpation. Rads all the doctors in the office looked at and they looked eh kinda sketchy but not obviously obstructive.

Discussed options with owners and we decided with index of suspicion to cut her that night instead of futzing around with recheck rads or ultrasound because we had a not unlimited budget.

Ended up being an edge of a towel from the stomach to end of jejunum. Released it where it was stuck in the stomach and there were at least five full thickness GI edge perforations and a couple other iffy spots. Basically needed 90% of the jejunum resected. Stepped out of surgery to call the owner and tell her this is basically worst case scenario. Explained septic abdomen, risk of short bowel syndrome, etc.

"What do you think I should do?"

This was her son's dog. Her son who died in his twenties, memorial bumper sticker with his birth and death date on her car. She's barely choking out the question in between tears, it's midnight and she had been woken up with the bad news.

She would have called it if I told her to. If I really gave her my real feelings on the statistics of these, how there's really a significant risk of long term problems, how the two ends of guts barely fit together and **** that bit looks so ugly dark but there is really no more to resect comfortably so wrap it in omentum and pray.

But I shoved my realist aside and told her we should try. For the dog, and for her son. And we got through surgery and her blood pressure stayed fine the whole time and we flushed the everliving hell out of the abdomen and two days of NG feedings later she stuffs her face with chicken and there's no fluid on FAST scan.

And a day later she goes home (discharge directions: "crush meds prior to administration" because we discovered when you have six inches of jejunum you can poop out an entire pill pocket with baytril still intact in a couple hours) and I kept checking her chart to see if she presented crashing and burning sometime in the next week but nothing showed up despite my misgivings with the repair.

And today she got her stitches out.

Best win in weeks.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 37 users
Two raves. 1 is that I apparently won some health care shoes from I brand I hadn't heard of til they started popping up on Facebook. Will see what they're like when they arrive. I love the ones I got this year, but this brand makes them look more like business attire so that part is interesting.

2nd rave is that my job was dissolved when the VTH re-opened, but another department reached out to me and offered a position so I still actually have a job.

Reactions: 8 users
Been feeling super dumpy and depression exhausted lately so here's some positives from the last little while:

1. I finished my first case report and it's pending review at a journal currently! (We're not gonna talk about my actual paper I was supposed to be working on this summer, ok? :laugh:)

2. My baby pony Ducky is doing AMAZING! We took her to the local horse park a couple weekends ago and she did bridges, a teetertotter, went in a pond and more and was so brave! Can't wait to start riding her in a couple years :biglove:
220501087_10159517044968189_5150547542427229969_n.jpg

3. The goats and I finally fixed our Gator! It just needed a fuel filter replacement but still lol, I am not a mechanic :laugh: Tux and Domino's very helpful advice was really critical in getting it completed, obviously. This means I can hopefully start working on my fencing project for the summer, if I ever find the motivation :hungover:
226260020_10159536222298189_2564330497874039631_n.jpg

4. My pathology blog is almost at 100 posts! Currently sitting at 78 :cool: I pretty consistently get 8-10 likes on each post on FB which doesn't sound like a lot but it warms my heart :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
4. My pathology blog is almost at 100 posts! Currently sitting at 78 :cool: I pretty consistently get 8-10 likes on each post on FB which doesn't sound like a lot but it warms my heart :biglove:

The fact that you called HW forbidden spaghetti on insta is going to HAUNT MY NIGHTMARES

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It's nice to finally be a doctor and be able to call some of the shots around the hospital. Today, I stopped a contraindicated treatment order before the meds were given, and I requested pain meds be given stat to a sad little cat who had been a bit overlooked due to the high patient load of the primary service.

Making a difference!

• Love
It's nice to finally be a doctor and be able to call some of the shots around the hospital. Today, I stopped a contraindicated treatment order before the meds were given, and I requested pain meds be given stat to a sad little cat who had been a bit overlooked due to the high patient load of the primary service.

Making a difference!
It is nice! It’s also stressful when you’re running a code/ critical patient and people turn to you for the plan.
7A3A0956-9268-4F9F-9FCA-C440A848A62D.jpeg

Listen, I’m a doctor but not a good doctor yet, let me get help.

Reactions: 8 users
We have student externs at my clinic right now and it's so satisfying to teach. It's especially nice when you handle a respiratory distress case and feel like a frazzled mess but the extern makes an offhand comment about how smooth and in control you seemed. :laugh:

We all make little improvements over time that cumulate into big improvements. A year ago I was them. Damn

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
One of the best things about working GP in the same location for several years is seeing a good client again with a new pet after not seeing them for months to years after euthanizing their last one. It makes me so happy. And those pets have no idea how lucky they are. They're going to have the best lives, no matter what happens.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
We have student externs at my clinic right now and it's so satisfying to teach. It's especially nice when you handle a respiratory distress case and feel like a frazzled mess but the extern makes an offhand comment about how smooth and in control you seemed. :laugh:

We all make little improvements over time that cumulate into big improvements. A year ago I was them. Damn
I've really loved teaching students! They're all so awesome and tolerate my annoying teaching style lol. One of them asked me if I had an office so he could come say hi to me after the rotation was done lol

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
The bobcat is doing better - his burned legs and paws are healing and he's eating and putting on some weight.

He's being treated with cold laser therapy, pulsed electromagnetic field therapy, burn ointment and tilapia fish skin.
He's doing well! :biglove:

bobcathealing1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Orphaned bear cub (16 lbs) rescued from wildfire burning in Northern California.

Antelope Fire Bear Cub.jpg

Sedated bear cub being treated for burns on legs, paws and nose sustained in wildfire.

Antelope bear cub surgery.jpg

Following treatment, bear cub is recovering ... and eating well and taking fluids on his own. :love:
Sending a big shout-out to the attending veterinarians and to their amazing medical team - thank you! :biglove:

Antelope Bear Cub Recovering.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Fulfilled a redemption arc for myself in my school's 3 Minute Thesis competition today, and it was extra fun because a couple of SDNers hopped into the Zoom meeting to cheer me on!

I'm so glad to be part of this community. I feel like I've made so many friends :biglove: :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Raving because gf got accepted to her number one choice PA school, Creighton in NE the day after her interview! It will be close enough that we can still see each other every couple of weeks and now she has a plan. She will graduate in Dec 24 so not too long after I graduate! I'm proud of her for making the decision that she really wanted to be a PA and not an MD. She could have done either but went with what she really wanted! Nice that she is happy and we have a plan!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Fulfilled a redemption arc for myself in my school's 3 Minute Thesis competition today, and it was extra fun because a couple of SDNers hopped into the Zoom meeting to cheer me on!

I'm so glad to be part of this community. I feel like I've made so many friends :biglove: :biglove:
I have the next round of this coming up in a few weeks if any SDNers are bored and want to sit in yet another Zoom meeting and hear me talk about osteosarcoma and snowplows :heckyeah:

If you don’t foresee yourself having enough to do on 10/18 from 3-5pm CDT and want to tune in, holla at ya girl here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
This golden retriever is a First Responder therapy dog spending some time with a flight crew that is fighting multiple California wildfires.

You've got this one, doggie! :)

Note: I am not in these pictures, but I wish I could meet this beautiful dog.

ResponderDog1.jpg

ResponderDog2.jpg

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
This female grey fox kit presented with full thickness burns down to the bone on the bottoms of all 4 paws sustained in one of the recent California wildfires. She was dehydrated, emaciated, anemic, hypoglycemic, weighed only 2.42 lbs. ... and her eyes were coated shut. Following admission, her burns were treated with Manuka honey and small sheets of silver dressings to prevent infection and to promote healing.
Eleven days later, she's doing better - thanks to the Vetties!!! :biglove:

fox.jpg

• Love
This female grey fox kit presented with full thickness burns down to the bone on the bottoms of all 4 paws sustained in one of the recent California wildfires. She was dehydrated, emaciated, anemic, hypoglycemic, weighed only 2.42 lbs. ... and her eyes were coated shut. Following admission, her burns were treated with Manuka honey and small sheets of silver dressings to prevent infection and to promote healing.
Eleven days later, she's doing better - thanks to the Vetties!!! :biglove:

View attachment 343812
Are these vetties volunteers? An organization?