RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats, Squirrels!!!

My raves? Still on break and am being a total lazy butt (movies, books, pjs, baking). Made a favorite new recipe tonight (oatmeal pudding). Snagged two fleece hoodies on clearance for my new senior pup at Petsmart (and she actually wears them!).

Members don't see this ad.

Oatmeal pudding sounds really good! Do you think it could be made in a crock-pot? Would you care to share the recipe?! I am chowing down on junk food, and that sounds like a perfect addition to my 10,000 calorie diet!

Oatmeal pudding sounds really good! Do you think it could be made in a crock-pot? Would you care to share the recipe?! I am chowing down on junk food, and that sounds like a perfect addition to my 10,000 calorie diet!

Here's the recipe! Suuuuuuper-easy to make and you can "tailor" it to have different spices or sugars, add fruit or nuts, etc. It's kind of like rice pudding in taste but you can eat it for breakfast or dessert without feeling too bad. ;) http://inncuisine.com/scrumptious-s...eal-pudding-bake/comment-page-1/#comment-7218 Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
I bowl on a league. I bowled my highest game today - a 219. It was the 2nd highest game without handicap and the highest with. I am super excited.

:thumbup: Amazing!! I used to bowl with a league and never even got close to 200! Congratulations!!

NK - I copied the recipe onto an index card to put in my recipe box. I love oatmeal and I love pudding, so I can't wait to try it!

I'm vegging on my couch with my kitty, watching hockey and munching on dry cereal without having to worry about squat other than where the puck is. Life is good. :D
Life IS good. So glad to hear you're all done with your class. :woot: YAY!

I bowl on a league. I bowled my highest game today - a 219. It was the 2nd highest game without handicap and the highest with. I am super excited.

Bowling. As much as I miss it sometimes, I'm humiliatingly bad at it:laugh: (I've thrown the ball backwards. 2 separate occasions....:oops:). Everyone always gets a good chuckle when I play. Those are 2 awesome achievements:D

Members don't see this ad :)
After much consideration, I decided to have Doc resect the 2nd SCC mass on my kitty. Final pathology report: ALL CLEAR MARGINS!!! I couldn't be more thankful! AND, because of all my hard work volunteering at the clinic, Doc didn't even charge me for it!

He's still quite old, and still has something else going on we haven't figured out yet, but at least the SCC in both the jaw and the ear are gone w/ clear margins!

This is the second thread in 2 days that my comment has been turned into a very unexpected direction (the last one was in avatar change thread if you would like to see).

Either
1)I am making a lot of Freudian slips or
2) I am turning into a dirty ol man or
3) I am one naive person.

Not sure I like any of these choices.

After much consideration, I decided to have Doc resect the 2nd SCC mass on my kitty. Final pathology report: ALL CLEAR MARGINS!!! I couldn't be more thankful! AND, because of all my hard work volunteering at the clinic, Doc didn't even charge me for it!

He's still quite old, and still has something else going on we haven't figured out yet, but at least the SCC in both the jaw and the ear are gone w/ clear margins!

That's great, K9! Congrats on the outcome. Hope your kitty's doing okay.

i got my first pair of leopard print heels yesterday!!!!! $20... tooootal steal!

No clear heels?

:p shut up!!

naw these ones are ones to wear in normal every day life. I don't have clear ones... YET. I've got fire engine red ones, but they're back home ;)

RAVE:

WAHOOO!! I got 2 offers for work so far... YAY.. anyone who was following in the RANT thread may remember my pissed off-ness for inconsiderate potential employers.... but stuff her!! I've found some work!

Now hoping I can save up and not end up going on shopping sprees when I accidentally get lost on the way home and find myself at a mall... otherwise more heels and maybe some actual stripper heels. No lies, I saw these awesome ones with a coin slot in the platform <3 !

I now have a Missouri's driver's license!!! One step closer to my precious, precious in state tuition.

Less of a rave: I kind of have some weird Kristen Stewart looking vibes going on in my photo..? :smuggrin:

Not a very big rave, but... It's not even 11 yet and I already feel accomplished.

Went to a vet clinic and was asked to bring a resume. They will also think about shadowing/volunteering for me. The girl at the front desk was very nice, which is a big change to the vet clinic close to my house where I live when I'm not at college. She did not act like she was so much better than me just for already having that job like the other ones did.

And I have almost all of my books for classes already. Did a lot of walking this morning to get everywhere, because I've been terribly lazy.

And.. I've had a terrible week with my bf since I came back from Germany, but we had a great day together yesterday. Went out to lunch together to my favourite restaurant and then he took me back to college. Good day with him. :]

One of my new year's resolutions was to go to a gym on a regular basis. I found a partner, bought work-out pants, got a membership at the Y and went today. It was SO MUCH FUN. They had a room full of equipment that was easy to use: sit down, follow the little diagram, and get jacked.

I also got piercings #8 and #9 last night. I got a third set of holes in my lobes. It used to bother me that my first set of holes was too far away from my head. So I got another set to balance it all out. I love them.

Trematode - good for you! Also, congrats on the new holes. I miss my multiples in my ears... With work, I couldn't wear the higher earrings all the time and they've basically closed up. Now, I have these little bumps in my ears that I fiddle with rather than earrings. :rolleyes:

Rave time: Giants WIN!!!!!!!! Now it's on to Green Bay and another mixed emotion sports day. But, at least I'll know who I'm routing for for the rest of the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

I also got piercings #8 and #9 last night. I got a third set of holes in my lobes. It used to bother me that my first set of holes was too far away from my head. So I got another set to balance it all out. I love them.

congrats!! I want to get one of mine re-done because the earing fell out and of course the hole closed up... i tried doing it myself when it wasn't completely closed but ended up hurting myself and I think now its just closed off and out of business for good.

I have 3 sets of lobe piercings. In my left, I have a boring old helix and a conch. In my right, I have a forward helix. I have more planned for my ears. Since growing my hair very long, people barely notice them. I do not have the nerve yet to get anything else on my face pierced.

Another rave: My undergrad thesis research was done on parasites (obviously :)). I went to a local parasitology meeting where I presented my research and met some contacts. One of the contacts is essentially doing the same thing I did, but at a much larger scale. He just sent me some papers he collaborated on and said he is very interested in what I did. It makes me feel pretty proud of myself that someone at a large institution is interested in what I did as an undergrad. :D.

I do not have the nerve yet to get anything else on my face pierced.

i've been wanting to get my nose pierced so i can have a tiny sparkly stud in it and get a couple tattoos, but i have yet to come up with the courage to do it :( but i really really want to! arghhhh

ps this isn't really a rave :rolleyes:

I've got a conch, a rook and a daith- my tragus fell out and my helix and reverse helix fell out ages ago lol.

I dont think I want to get any facial stuff.... the last thing I got done was my belly button- which is totally trendy and everyone has one, but I wanted one since I was like 12 but then decided not to because everyone had them. Then on a whim (as all my piercings generally are) I got it done a few years ago. I wanted to get the bottom part done, but the girl freaked and said that it *always* gets infected and hers got rejected etc... so I didn't want to have a nasty scar or mark so I got the regular top part done. Anyways I like it :D

But yeah my daith was a celebratory one because I'd just written the MCAT and felt the need to congratulate myself lol.

And as for ink.... I want just something elegant and girly- but I'll probably find something wrong with it once its permanently on me lol. I'd love to get one of the side ones... but I don't think I'll end up getting one simply because I'll have a really great idea for a tat and then hate it 2 months later. :p

i've been wanting to get my nose pierced so i can have a tiny sparkly stud in it and get a couple tattoos, but i have yet to come up with the courage to do it :( but i really really want to! arghhhh

ps this isn't really a rave :rolleyes:

I had my nose done and LOVED it! It wasn't actually painful at all... I swear. It just makes your eyes water for a second. Unfortunately I had to take it out everyday where I worked as a vet tech and it ended up closing up. Nose piercings tend to be rather expensive... wasn't happy about it. But I'm not sure if vet schools have restrictions on those things (for safety purposes). I'm sure at least not until you start hands on stuff.

I had my nose done and LOVED it! It wasn't actually painful at all... I swear. It just makes your eyes water for a second. Unfortunately I had to take it out everyday where I worked as a vet tech and it ended up closing up. Nose piercings tend to be rather expensive... wasn't happy about it. But I'm not sure if vet schools have restrictions on those things (for safety purposes). I'm sure at least not until you start hands on stuff.

the pain is what i was most worried about - did you get it done with a needle gun or whatever they call it? if i get one i would just keep a small stud in it not really a ring or loop or whatever.

thinking of waiting till i start school in the fall because a) i still have a couple more interviews and b) my mom would kick me out. literally. :rolleyes:

i really want a tattoo on my wrist, the back of my shoulder, and maybe on my collar bone area somewhere. i've got some cute ideas for small ones, black ink (yin/yang, double infinity). if i only i could gather up the courage for either a piercing or a tattoo...or both

the pain is what i was most worried about - did you get it done with a needle gun or whatever they call it? if i get one i would just keep a small stud in it not really a ring or loop or whatever.

thinking of waiting till i start school in the fall because a) i still have a couple more interviews and b) my mom would kick me out. literally. :rolleyes:

i really want a tattoo on my wrist, the back of my shoulder, and maybe on my collar bone area somewhere. i've got some cute ideas for small ones, black ink (yin/yang, double infinity). if i only i could gather up the courage for either a piercing or a tattoo...or both

I would go to a tattoo/piercing place as opposed to like a beauty shop where they advertise piercing. The tattoo places tend to just use a needle, and I find they are more accurate. Can you even use a gun on a nose? : /

just start with a piercing and go from there. Nose piercings are really cute and elegant... tell your mom you just really admire the hindu culture:

"It is believed that the piercing of the nose near a particular node on the nostril lessens the pain during monthly menstrual cycle. Some also believe that it protects women from nasal infection. "
http://www.hindu-blog.com/2008/01/why-hindu-women-wear-nose-stud.html

:D

I had a small diamond (well, a cubic zirconian I guess) lol. You could barely even see it unless the light hit it, I loved it. But it was funny, my mom was so mad about it and she said "Couldn't you have gotten an eyebrow piercing instead?" and my dad said "Why don't you get a tattoo instead?" Really? lol :laugh:

I would go to a tattoo/piercing place as opposed to like a beauty shop where they advertise piercing. The tattoo places tend to just use a needle, and I find they are more accurate. Can you even use a gun on a nose? : /

:D

I second this, I actually had mine done at a tattoo shop by a registered nurse. Very very clean and professional. And they do many more nose piercings than your average piercing shop. She used a HUGE needle, I'm not gonna lie, and its really really weird because you can literally see the huge needle right in front of your eye. That was kind of scary. She put a dot on my nose, made sure I liked it, and the needle went in like butter...:cool: But like I said, be prepared... the piercing was like $65 plus the stud was another $60 I think, plus tip.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! The piercing gun makes me cringe. I've had 6 piercings done by gun and 2 by hollow piercing needle and I will never ever ever have the gun again. I wouldn't be SO against getting ear lobes done with the gun, but for anything in your ear cartilage, spend the money and go to someone who really knows what they are doing. Not only are the people at the mall who use the guns not always well trained, the guns use pretty much blunt force and a crushing motion to pierce the tissue. This can do serious damage to your ear. If you go to a tattoo parlor to get it done by a professional piercer, they can most likely use whatever size needle you want to accommodate the type of jewelry you want to wear in your piercing. 14 gauge is pretty standard and it's all I've ever gotten in piercings that aren't my earlobes, but my guess is that they could do a 22-gauge if you just wanted to wear a standard stud.

Not only are the people at the mall who use the guns not always well trained, the guns use pretty much blunt force and a crushing motion to pierce the tissue. This can do serious damage to your ear.

I used to work at a store in the mall that did ear piercings, including cartilage. My training consisted of watching a 15 minute training video and practicing on a cardboard ear for 10 minutes; then I had my first customer :rolleyes: My first one was shaky but I was pretty good after working there for 2 years. Ear piercing was my favorite part of that job :)

I used to work at a store in the mall that did ear piercings, including cartilage. My training consisted of watching a 15 minute training video and practicing on a cardboard ear for 10 minutes; then I had my first customer :rolleyes: My first one was shaky but I was pretty good after working there for 2 years. Ear piercing was my favorite part of that job :)

:eek:
:scared:
That's seriously terrifying. I suddenly appreciate the piercing shop down the road so much more now. I really wish my skin was more amenable to jewelry, I'd have a couple more piercings in my ears at least.

I second this, I actually had mine done at a tattoo shop by a registered nurse. Very very clean and professional.

Mine too- and he insisted that he was a 'male nurse'. Also, there tend to be more guys at piercing/tattoo places (As opposed to a jewelry store at the mall), so you can oggle over them while you get pierced.

The one place where in the 'professional world' you'd choose the heavily pierced and ink'd person over the business suit lol. Every time I've gone, everything has come out of sterilized packs, they wear fresh gloves and swab the area etc. They know what they're doing basically!

Also and they take it really seriously too... they want it to look good, and they can give you a better opinion on what size would suit you, what rings or bars go with what piercings... as opposed to a random place at a shopping mall.

Just found out that one of my favorite food companies (Annie's Homegrown) has an online store! The prices are cheaper than at the local store and shipping is free! So excited! Just ordered my boyfriend some of his favorite meals and snacks:)
.....this could be dangerous.:scared:

And to add to the piercing discussion:
3 years ago, I got my cartilage pierced with a gun. It never healed and became very inflamed, so I took it out. The inflammation was so bad that it left scar tissue. This summer, I got two cartilage piercing with hypodermic needles, and now 6 months later, they are mostly healed. Cartilage piercings can take 6 months to 1 year to heal, so be patient and clean it often!

I do not believe I mentioned this previously, but my body takes approximately 1.5 years to heal cartilage piercings. I consider "healed" to be no flare ups. I have had my conch done for 1 year 4 months and it got sore when I got sick at the beginning of the month. Sore healing piercings are great at telling me when I am going to get sick. :p. So I am hesitant on getting another one for the time being. I may wait until next fall, you know, after pool season is over.

I had a chest infection in April which caused my conch to to get a HUGE bump on the back side of my piercing. Fluid built up in my ears. The doctor noticed my sore piercing and said "Rarrr, that is infected. I recommend you take that out! Oh, you are not going to take it out? Here is a prescription for ointment but I recommend you take it out." I was a little embarrassed. But, as usual, "the bump" eventually went away and now my piercing is fine and dandy (except when I get sick :p).

And to add to the piercing discussion:
3 years ago, I got my cartilage pierced with a gun. It never healed and became very inflamed, so I took it out. The inflammation was so bad that it left scar tissue. This summer, I got two cartilage piercing with hypodermic needles, and now 6 months later, they are mostly healed. Cartilage piercings can take 6 months to 1 year to heal, so be patient and clean it often!

I've refused to get anything done with a gun (besides my lobes-both sets were done several years ago with a gun) for that very reason. And I don't want my cartilage to get shattered. I'd freak out. I still want to get my cartilage done but haven't gotten around to it. Somehow bypassed a step and got my tragus done, which is finally finished healing. It had a minor infection from me accidentally bumping it a lot I think. Haven't had a little bump in several months now so that makes me happy. Was originally thinking it was a keloid but since they went away, I'm going with infection. Maybe I'll get my cartilage done to celebrate my admission to vet school (should that happen). Only problem is that I'll have to get two piercings in my right ear to balance it out. Haha.

I was battling the little bumps and infections for a few weeks. I washed both piercings every night with antibacterial soap and applied neosporin (my cure-all:oops:), and they looked great in about 3 weeks.

I. Only problem is that I'll have to get two piercings in my right ear to balance it out. Haha.

My ex girlfriend had one piercing in her right ear and 7 (3 lobe, 4 cartilage) in her left ear. Talk about unbalanced ;)

sunnex:

Just so you don't freak out about all this talk of bumps, puss, redness and infections.... lol golden rule is just keep it clean, wash it all the time, rotate the ring, use Q tips dipped in cleaning solution to really get er' clean. I was paranoid that my belly ring was going to get infected and I'd have a mad scar on my tummy, so I cleaned it religiously (and freaked out whenever something pee'd or diarrhea'd on me at work). It never had any problems!

But yeah my daith was a celebratory one because I'd just written the MCAT and felt the need to congratulate myself lol.

And as for ink.... I want just something elegant and girly- but I'll probably find something wrong with it once its permanently on me lol. I'd love to get one of the side ones... but I don't think I'll end up getting one simply because I'll have a really great idea for a tat and then hate it 2 months later. :p

I have 5 tattoos, the smallest being about 5X5 or so. Got my first one when I turned 18, and have gotten one each year near my birthday since. I do not regret a single one. Each one means a whole lot to me, so just make sure you don't get something 'trendy' like chinese/japanese/whatever lettering/words that honesely don't mean anything to you.

Funny side story, I got my belly button pierced (when my parents were out of the country and my sister was my legal guardian at 14), and when my parents found out (when I was 16), they FREAKED. Then at college, got my nose pierced (didn't even notice until I told them--I was so nervous that they HAD noticed and were planning some sort of terrible tortuous punishment), and they were all, "You get one more piercing in your face and you're outta here." So I got my cartilage pierced. ;)

Here comes the funny part, when I turned 18 and told my dad I was going to get a tattoo, and I thought it would be nice if he got one with me. Has since become a birthday tradition...and they still don't like me talking about getting my nose re-pierced (eventually closed because I had to take it out daily for my vet tech job).

Once I'm accepted :)xf:) I'll probably get a celebratory tattoo (one that's really visible, these are all on my torso/trunk) and piercing. Wish the real world didn't judge so harshly. :(

You're actually not supposed to rotate the jewelery. The little crusties can irritate the piercing.
Also, from what I have read, keloids are RARE. I think certain ethnicities are more prone to getting them. 99% of the time, you have "the bump" which will eventually go away when you baby the piercing.