RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sunnex:

Just so you don't freak out about all this talk of bumps, puss, redness and infections.... lol golden rule is just keep it clean, wash it all the time, rotate the ring, use Q tips dipped in cleaning solution to really get er' clean. I was paranoid that my belly ring was going to get infected and I'd have a mad scar on my tummy, so I cleaned it religiously (and freaked out whenever something pee'd or diarrhea'd on me at work). It never had any problems!

I initially read that as 'and freaked out whenever I pee'd or diarrhea'd myself'. lol :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're actually not supposed to rotate the jewelery. The little crusties can irritate the piercing.
Also, from what I have read, keloids are RARE. I think certain ethnicities are more prone to getting them. 99% of the time, you have "the bump" which will eventually go away when you baby the piercing.

Seconding the not rotating bit. I was told not to rotate the ring in my tragus. And I probably over reacted a little bit. Sometimes I think I'm a slight hypochondriac. I scar easily, but I don't have any keloid scars elsewhere so it was probably unlikely that one was going to develop with my piercing. I was just so worried because it did well for like two months and then freaked out for like 3 months despite washing it with an antibacterial soap. I switched brands a few times and I think the type of soap really made the difference. I was told just to get a liquid soap and glob it on your piercing while in the shower instead of using q-tips or cotton or anything like that. I wasn't really using those ever except maybe initially, but I was using a bar soap which didn't seem to work as well.

My fall grades were finally released today - I am SUPER shocked and amazed that I managed to swing a B- in my neuro class. You know, the class with only a midterm and a final, that I never attended, and was pretty sure I bombed. I took the final the same afternoon I got rejected from Purdue and was sitting in Starbucks crying. Apparently the exam gods were watching out for me or something!! :laugh: I also did really well in my Epigenetics class, which I am proud of because that class was HARD.

In other rave news, I had a lesson with my horse today, and while it ended up with the trainer acting more like jump crew than anything else, I'm pretty pleased. He jumped through a big scary grid without dying, I managed to stick with him and ride everything well, and I am so proud of my big dumb horse. Trainer even suggested that I try jumpers with him, which is what I've been considering for the spring after MANY years of hunters.

Ah well, my piercer person told me to rotate mine (while you're cleaning it), I did it and all my piercings are happy!

And for the belly one, I just got a glass filled with saline and then tipped it upside down onto myself which was awkward at times.

LittleWiz: although SDN is somewhat 'anonymous' , I still don't think I'd just freely admit to diarrheaing myself. lol.

LOL at the diarrhea comments :laugh:

urgh i'm still soooooooo scared about getting a nose piercing and/or tattoo...my regular lobe piercings hurt like HELL when i got it done (i was 13). since then i've been scared of getting a piercing done again.

tattoo wise though i would probably just get a black ink one, which i've heard hurts less.

arghhhhh.

My nose one would get gross every once in a while, which sucked, but it hasn't had any issues in quite a few months now. It wasn't bad to get, just a little blood. Eat first.

LOL at the diarrhea comments :laugh:

urgh i'm still soooooooo scared about getting a nose piercing and/or tattoo...my regular lobe piercings hurt like HELL when i got it done (i was 13). since then i've been scared of getting a piercing done again.

tattoo wise though i would probably just get a black ink one, which i've heard hurts less.

arghhhhh.
My black ink one hurt a lot. Then again, it was over my hip bone. I think they say black hurts less because there is less shading or blending involved. But that's just a guess. I also say, if you want color, get color. The pain is transient, the tattoo is forever.

My black ink one hurt a lot. Then again, it was over my hip bone. I think they say black hurts less because there is less shading or blending involved. But that's just a guess. I also say, if you want color, get color. The pain is transient, the tattoo is forever.
can't really think of any color tattoos that i want...luckily the tattoos that i want are things that would look better with black ink (i like very simple images/symbols)

You're actually not supposed to rotate the jewelery. The little crusties can irritate the piercing.
Also, from what I have read, keloids are RARE. I think certain ethnicities are more prone to getting them. 99% of the time, you have "the bump" which will eventually go away when you baby the piercing.

Yeah.

No rotating.

Sea salt soaks if they really bother you.

Do you know why some dogs yelp when you vaccinate while other dogs do nothing when you stab them with a needle? It is because every dog feels pain differently. It is the same for people. People feel pain differently too. A nose piercing for me may be a lot more painful than a nose piercing for you. How do you even compare something like pain?

I laugh a little bit when people ask me if my piercings "hurt". A needle WENT THROUGH MY BODY and then they SHOVED METAL IN THE HOLE. Of course it hurt.
Both of my helix piercings hurt than went numb really quickly. My conch hurt like a MOTHER (then again, they made me sit up for that one while I laid down for the other). I also have my navel pierced twice. The needle goes through flesh... yet, I found it hurt more than my helix piercings. I have met people who claim that cartilage piercings did not hurt at all or that navel piercings do not hurt at all. To each their own.

TT, I did not realize that you still had your nostril pierced. Cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know why some dogs yelp when you vaccinate while other dogs do nothing when you stab them with a needle? It is because every dog feels pain differently. It is the same for people. People feel pain differently too. A nose piercing for me may be a lot more painful than a nose piercing for you. How do you even compare something like pain?

I laugh a little bit when people ask me if my piercings "hurt". A needle WENT THROUGH MY BODY and then they SHOVED METAL IN THE HOLE. Of course it hurt.
Both of my helix piercings hurt than went numb really quickly. My conch hurt like a MOTHER (then again, they made me sit up for that one while I laid down for the other). I also have my navel pierced twice. The needle goes through flesh... yet, I found it hurt more than my helix piercings. I have met people who claim that cartilage piercings did not hurt at all or that navel piercings do not hurt at all. To each their own.

TT, I did not realize that you still had your nostril pierced. Cool.

good point. i'm just a weenie when it comes to anticipating pain :rolleyes:

I used to belong to a piercing forum. There was a HUGE sticky that basically said "Don't you DARE ask how much a piercing will hurt because pain is different for everyone". :laugh:.

Actually, this is what it said:

All piercings are different in the amount of pain they cause, but all people are different in how they feel pain and how much pain they feel when they are pierced.

We ask that you do not start a thread to ask about the pain associated with a piercing. If you do, be aware that you will be referred to this post and the thread will be closed.

Knowledge is your best defense, and if you truly want the piercing, don't let pain be a factor. But if you know all you can learn, you won't be as scared, so you won't feel so much pain. Whereas if someone here tells you it was the most horrible pain they'd ever felt, you will be more scared and more sensitive. The pain lasts for a second, the piercing lasts a lifetime.

In an effort to minimize the pain and stress, please eat within 2 hours prior to your piercing and make sure that you drink a lot of water. This will keep your blood sugars level and help your body to deal with the shock.

If you're asking "Why?" the answer is this- one person is going to tell you that it hurt like so bad they passed out, while somebody else is going to tell you that they didn't feel it. You can't ask how much something is going to hurt...it's different for everyone, and at best it only stresses you out more. Everyone has a different tollerance for pain. Keep this in mind when choosing your body modifications, and decide whether or not you're willing to endure the pain of the procedure. No one here can tell you if you can or can't.

If you truly want the piercing, you'll find that it is well worth the pain.

My fall grades were finally released today - I am SUPER shocked and amazed that I managed to swing a B- in my neuro class. You know, the class with only a midterm and a final, that I never attended, and was pretty sure I bombed. I took the final the same afternoon I got rejected from Purdue and was sitting in Starbucks crying. Apparently the exam gods were watching out for me or something!! :laugh: I also did really well in my Epigenetics class, which I am proud of because that class was HARD.

In other rave news, I had a lesson with my horse today, and while it ended up with the trainer acting more like jump crew than anything else, I'm pretty pleased. He jumped through a big scary grid without dying, I managed to stick with him and ride everything well, and I am so proud of my big dumb horse. Trainer even suggested that I try jumpers with him, which is what I've been considering for the spring after MANY years of hunters.

Nice job!!! :thumbup::)

Jumpers I'm sure will be so much fun!!! I ended up going that route after a very short appearance in the hunter ring with my horse as he was a little too excitable for a good hunter round. The speed classes are just so much fun. Plus, not having to braid all the time isn't so bad either. :laugh:

My old TB gelding went both ways.

And I mean that in the least perverted way possible. :p

We started off on hunters, but when he was really fit (IE, off his damn forehand) he had a huge stride and could turn on a dime. We rocked the 3.6 jumpers (and yes, loved not having to braid!).
So basically- summers we did jumpers, and winters we did hunters lol. Some shows we did both, which made for nice ribbons at the end of the day (providing there were no fences with yellow flowers...major horsie dislike, although the yellow painted fences were fine)

And for another rave...
SNOWWWWWWWWWWW!

piercings:

Did anyone else hear the "CRUNCH" when they got done? I think my tragus crunched the most.

Horses:
booo hunters! haha eventing is the best one out of all of them... and then jumpers is on par with eventing. Except fractionally lower.

piercings:

Did anyone else hear the "CRUNCH" when they got done? I think my tragus crunched the most.

Horses:
booo hunters! haha eventing is the best one out of all of them... and then jumpers is on par with eventing. Except fractionally lower.

I've always wanted to try eventing. Didn't have any xcountry fields around where I used to ride. And the thought of my long backed, slightly ewe necked TB doing dressage is highly laughable. :laugh: And after he retired I started riding babies. It's been probably about 4 years since I've ridden anything older than 4.

I've always wanted to try eventing. Didn't have any xcountry fields around where I used to ride. And the thought of my long backed, slightly ewe necked TB doing dressage is highly laughable. :laugh: And after he retired I started riding babies. It's been probably about 4 years since I've ridden anything older than 4.

Holy crap. Cowgirla, your last two posts really show me that I know NOTHING about horses. Am I the only one that thinks all this horse talk is basically a different language?

...although I did get a perverse kick out of "riding babies"... :p

piercings:

Yes. That's actually what people told me freaked them out more than the actual pain. According to the guy who did mine, my tragus wasn't too loud compared to others. I was expecting it to be a lot worse as well.

Holy crap. Cowgirla, your last two posts really show me that I know NOTHING about horses. Am I the only one that thinks all this horse talk is basically a different language?

...although I did get a perverse kick out of "riding babies"... :p

You're not alone. It's all foreign to me as well. I wish it wasn't. I always wanted to know how to ride...

My horse's brain has always been a little too messed up to try jumpers. And eventing?! :laugh: Oh god. The poor beast can barely make it a lap around the 1/4 mile track, within sight of the barn, without having heart failure. Anything outside a fenced area is too much for him!

Don't feel bad if you have no idea what we're talking about. Horse people are nuts. :rolleyes: Anyone who ever wants to learn is more than welcome to come play with my pony!

And the thought of my long backed, slightly ewe necked TB doing dressage is highly laughable. :laugh:

Try doing dressage with a crazy TB mare off the racetrack :eek: She really hauled it around the X-C courses though :D

Yes. That's actually what people told me freaked them out more than the actual pain. According to the guy who did mine, my tragus wasn't too loud compared to others. I was expecting it to be a lot worse as well.

I have never wanted any cartilage piercings, but then I saw this...

tumblr_lme4o27BLs1qhx7ljo1_250_large.jpg

I dunno if it would work out well or not. But I like it.

Did you find that on Pinterest? I saw it there the other day and really liked it, too!

TT, I LOVE that! It's delicate as well as really fun (and not a pansy piercing, I'd say!) Neat photo, do you know what it's called (if it even has a name!)?

That'd be the helix on a dog ear, right? Is it the same on a people ear?

That'd be the helix on a dog ear, right? Is it the same on a people ear?

I had one of those, and my piercing person said it was a reverse helix... but not sure which one of those would be a reverse helix...if not all..?

I always thought it was weird to get a piercing there. I just didn't like the look of ONE there. But that looks really awesome! Might think about that!

I was just offered to sit in on one or two lectures next week at the vet school here and to come to an event. Super excited!

Which ones should I go to though? There is neuro, resp diseases, vet practice management, cardiology and oncology.

I have one and I heard it was called a forward helix. :confused:.
I could totally do that to my right ear if I wanted to (got one already, just need two more). It looks amazing.

I survived my first rabies shot!

In other news...OUCH.:(

I survived my first rabies shot!

In other news...OUCH.:(
yuck i remember getting my rabies shots :( it was post exposure too! so i had to get the 3 immunoglobulin injections in my legs and one arm, and got the 1st rabies shot in the other arm!

it was painful the next morning when i tried to get out of bed :rolleyes:

the immunoglobulin looks like pink syrup and hurts like a b*tch.

For someone who wants a sad cry-face rabies story:
My second vaccine: I hit my back on a counter and started crying in the Dr's arms (we are very close, but still..) She sent me home. I very rarely cry out of pain. Don't do too much tomorrow- I felt ill the day after and was very sensitive.

in case anyone is looking for a happy rabies story, i had all 3 of my shots this summer and none of them hurt other than the initial prick :)

Yeah. If you're not normally a wimp with vaccines, it's fine.

It is not on tetatnus' level. At all.

Another person whose rabies shots didn't hurt at all.

I'm a HUGE wimp, and my tetanus shot didn't bother me a single bit. I didn't feel the poke, the injection, wasn't sore afterwards, nothing. This rabies shot, the needle was not of this world-like, seriously, do they think I'm a horse??-but I didn't feel the initial prick at all, just the vaccine burning as it entered my muscle....SO weird-and now my arm is all sore. Bleh.

I'm a HUGE wimp, and my tetanus shot didn't bother me a single bit. I didn't feel the poke, the injection, wasn't sore afterwards, nothing. This rabies shot, the needle was not of this world-like, seriously, do they think I'm a horse??-but I didn't feel the initial prick at all, just the vaccine burning as it entered my muscle....SO weird-and now my arm is all sore. Bleh.

Bummer. But, from what I recall of last year's threads....is this why you needed a bubble???

Bummer. But, from what I recall of last year's threads....is this why you needed a bubble???

HAHA Thanks for bringing that up...I forgot about it. Yes, I do require a bubble. Actually, on more than one occasion, my rear end has knocked peoples' coffee over as I try to get to my seat in the morning. If I had a bubble that problem would be even worse, soooooo...

I just ordered two Temple Grandin books on Amazon. They'll be here on Tuesday. I am so excited for them! :D

Also, yay for four-day-weekends! :D

I saw that picture on Pinterest too and I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! I already have one helix piercing, so I'm dying to get the other two. Too cute. :biglove:

Ugh, my rabies vaccines were the worst. The first one was ok, the second worse, and by the third one- OH....MY....GOD!!!!!!! I spent the whole day in bed, shivering and sweating and achy on every inch of my body. It sucked. :thumbdown:

mini-rave: it's Friday. It snowed. but, this may prove tricky in getting home tonight after work.....
I just ordered two Temple Grandin books on Amazon. They'll be here on Tuesday.
Which ones???? I'm a bit of a Grandin fan but Bekoff is higher up in my animal reading interests....

:D:D:D My financial aid finally came though! I have more than $11 to my name! :D:D:D
:woot: That's awesome!!

Ugh, my rabies vaccines were the worst. The first one was ok, the second worse, and by the third one- OH....MY....GOD!!!!!!! I spent the whole day in bed, shivering and sweating and achy on every inch of my body. It sucked. :thumbdown:
I am going to pray that rabies vaccines do not kick my arse during vet school. since nowhere around here gives them (imagine...), I'm gonna have to utilize the clinic at Tufts this fall. I'm a bit.....worried. Hopefully I don't have a poor reaction and make myself go to school!

HAHA Thanks for bringing that up...I forgot about it. Yes, I do require a bubble. Actually, on more than one occasion, my rear end has knocked peoples' coffee over as I try to get to my seat in the morning. If I had a bubble that problem would be even worse, soooooo...
Aw, EG :biglove: Everyone tells me I should be in a bubble.....but then I couldn't make everyone laugh when I fall over like I do now ;)