RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How sweet of her! You deserve it Nordicat. I hope you go out and celebrate your acceptance! :)

OT but I love your new avatar. It's ridiculously sultry. lol

Members don't see this ad.

How sweet of her! You deserve it Nordicat. I hope you go out and celebrate your acceptance! :)

OT but I love your new avatar. It's ridiculously sultry. lol
Thanks!! I think I want Chipotle for dinner...:laugh:

That's my F3 Savannah (serval/domestic hybrid), Raiden! He's so obnoxious, but I love him. :rolleyes: He's like a cat-dog. This is his "mrrrrrrow, sexy cat!" picture :p

That's my F3 Savannah (serval/domestic hybrid), Raiden! He's so obnoxious, but I love him. :rolleyes: He's like a cat-dog. This is his "mrrrrrrow, sexy cat!" picture :p

Have you decided whether you will interview at MN or not yet? Or does this help make the decision really easy? :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Then you enjoy your delicious victory burrito! I'm partial to victory food involving goat cheese as well as watching a bit of sappy stuff like Pushing Daisies or the Royal Tenenbaums. I guess we're easy to please! :)
I had no idea that was your cat! So exotic and beautiful (or should I say handsome?). I definitely approve of the pose (especially with the fire in the background.) ;)

Have you decided whether you will interview at MN or not yet? Or does this help make the decision really easy? :D
Not sure yet, everyone keeps telling me to not "put all your eggs in one basket", but the flight for 2 people, rental car, hotel for probably 2 nights...that would add up :confused:

I'm basically waiting to find out if my husband gets a job here in IL (a job he's supposedly been getting for like the past 6 months). Not sure where it'll go from there...

But yeah, this helps! Having a definite YES may sway my decision a bit.

News of getting a totally unexpected surprise scholarship today? Awwwwwesome! :)

After spending $1,500 on my cat over the last 4 weeks, he's doing really well and I found out that I'm going to get at least that much back when my tax refund comes in! Yay!

Being of the ginger species, I have blonde eyelashes and eyebrows.

I'd been neglecting my transparent brows... so I spent some time dying them a more normal shade of light brown and plucking them back into a reasonable shape today.

They look nice. I'm pretending my developmental anatomy exam isn't tomorrow.

Life is good.

I peeked back to your original pictures and just wanted to say he's gorgeous! Congrats :)

Thanks! :) :love: He's pretty damn obnoxious. I got all comfortable with my 20 year old girl. These youngsters take some energy to work with!!

He hurt himself for the first time today. Came in from turnout bleeding from the inside of his leg and it just bled and bled and bled. He wouldn't let me touch it so I just hosed it, sprayed some betadine in, and wrapped it. A couple hours later, I took off the wrap and he let me play with it. Just a scratch. No need to panic. PHEW!

Being of the ginger species, I have blonde eyelashes and eyebrows.

I'd been neglecting my transparent brows... so I spent some time dying them a more normal shade of light brown and plucking them back into a reasonable shape today.

They look nice. I'm pretending my developmental anatomy exam isn't tomorrow.

Life is good.

I also spent the afternoon neglecting our exam tomorrow. Instead, I got caught up on lectures, watched a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother and lounged with the dog. Great break from this week!!

I peeked back to your original pictures and just wanted to say he's gorgeous! Congrats :)

In other news, I started a Twitter with the self-challenge of posting once a day for one full year. Some people were suggested for me to follow: Jessica Simpson, D. Lovato and....nyanko! I just bust out laughing - how does the universe know these things!?

yes you see I am kind of a big deal.

So this is kind of a rant turned into a rave. I have two kitties. I got the boy (Sushi) first as a baby and he has been a fre-feeder his whole life. He just comes and eats when he feels like it. Two years later I rescued my girl kitty (Firefly). She is NOT a free feeder and gobbles up anything in sight. I once caught her carrying an entire torlilla in her mouth (and she's not that big a cat!). So to handle their feeding. I lock her in the closet (don't worry its large) and feed her her diet food there and let my boy kitty eat until he is hungry out in the bedroom. Well when I leave for the weekends this ritual is impossible so I have been leaving out enough food for both of them and hoping (I know-dumb) that he will get to eat some of it before she eats ALL of it. However, as could have been foretold, she has gained quite a bit of weight.
So my solution...
I am getting an automatic feeder for her so that she can be fed on a regular schedule. Hopefully she can't break into it. For him I am purchasing a cat door that is racoon/Firefly proof and attaching it to the side of a large tupperware bin that will have his food in it. He will then wear a collar with an RFID chip in it so that when he goes up to the door it will unlock for him. But it will stay locked for miss fatty. I hope this rather expensive solution does the trick!!
The things we do for our pets...

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is kind of a rant turned into a rave. I have two kitties. I got the boy (Sushi) first as a baby and he has been a fre-feeder his whole life. He just comes and eats when he feels like it. Two years later I rescued my girl kitty (Firefly). She is NOT a free feeder and gobbles up anything in sight. I once caught her carrying an entire torlilla in her mouth (and she's not that big a cat!). So to handle their feeding. I lock her in the closet (don't worry its large) and feed her her diet food there and let my boy kitty eat until he is hungry out in the bedroom. Well when I leave for the weekends this ritual is impossible so I have been leaving out enough food for both of them and hoping (I know-dumb) that he will get to eat some of it before she eats ALL of it. However, as could have been foretold, she has gained quite a bit of weight.
So my solution...
I am getting an automatic feeder for her so that she can be fed on a regular schedule. Hopefully she can't break into it. For him I am purchasing a cat door that is racoon/Firefly proof and attaching it to the side of a large tupperware bin that will have his food in it. He will then wear a collar with an RFID chip in it so that when he goes up to the door it will unlock for him. But it will stay locked for miss fatty. I hope this rather expensive solution does the trick!!
hahaha! Access DENIED! "Nooooo! Must eat mooore foood!" Sorry. The filter for my internal animal dialogue is weakening... ;)
I hope it works!

So my solution...

Genius! Let us know how it works out!

My computer came back way, way WAY ahead of schedule and I was accosted by Girl Scouts on my way to the train.

Today may be considered a good day (even though my stomach is a touch sore from too many cookies).

My computer came back way, way WAY ahead of schedule and I was accosted by Girl Scouts on my way to the train.

Today may be considered a good day (even though my stomach is a touch sore from too many cookies).
OMG Thin mints!

How do you already have cookies?! I got attacked by girl scouts about a week ago at my apartment and was told that they don't come in until ~Feb 20th. I'm jealous of you and your early cookies.

How do you already have cookies?! I got attacked by girl scouts about a week ago at my apartment and was told that they don't come in until ~Feb 20th. I'm jealous of you and your early cookies.

I thought they said they're starting to carry the cookies with them so that you get them right away. At least that's how it is with the girl scouts here. And caramel delights....mmmm!! Dang it now you all got me in cookie mode!

I was told the same thing Bearby. I am waiting for my girl scout cookie fix.

Last edited:
I thought they said they're starting to carry the cookies with them so that you get them right away. At least that's how it is with the girl scouts here. And caramel delights....mmmm!! Dang it now you all got me in cookie mode!

THANK YOU for calling them Caramel Delights... when did they decide to change their name to "Semoas"? Or is that just here in the Northeast? When I was in FL, they were always caramel delights! People look at me like I'm NUTS when I say that here.:laugh:

THANK YOU for calling them Caramel Delights... when did they decide to change their name to "Semoas"? Or is that just here in the Northeast? When I was in FL, they were always caramel delights! People look at me like I'm NUTS when I say that here.:laugh:

Semoas? Really? Weird! I'll stick to caramel delights ... sounds more mouth-watering, in my opinion :p

There's two companies that make the cookies (used to be a Girl Scout) so the supplier depends on where you live. For instance, I live in southeastern PA and get Caramel Delights but my boyfriend in Pittsburgh has always known them as Semoas. Caramel Delights and Semoas are actually also slightly different. I think Semoas use dark chocolate instead of milk.

There's two companies that make the cookies (used to be a Girl Scout) so the supplier depends on where you live. For instance, I lived in southeastern PA and get Caramel Delights but my boyfriend in Pittsburgh has always known them as Semoas. Caramel Delights and Semoas are actually also slightly different. I think Semoas use dark chocolate instead of milk.

AhA! Thanks for clearing that up...! :)

AhA! Thanks for clearing that up...! :)

No problem. Actually quite a few of the cookies have different names. Tagalongs=Peanut Butter Patties, Trefoils=Shortbread and Do-si-dos=Peanut Butter Sandwiches. There are also some cookies one company sells but the other doesn't. And despite being a Girl Scout since I was in 5th grade, I only figured this out when I was in college and started talking with different people.

Last edited:
No problem. Actually quite a few of the cookies have different names. Tagalongs=Peanut Butter Patties, Trefoils=Shortbread and Do-si-dos=Peanut Butter Sandwhiches. There are also some cookies one company sells but the other doesn't. And despite being a Girl Scout since I was in 5th grade, I only figured this out when I was in college and started talking with different people.

Yep, now that you mention it, they are all different. I usually only buy the caramel delights so I wasn't thinking about the other names, but it is very true. I'll stick with my originals! (I think they taste better anyway ;) )

Hahah. Whoops. Spelling is a struggle for me today.

haha well it really stems from the fact that i can't remember them ever being called anything but samoas. so when you were referring to them as caramel delights and then spelling it semoas, i sort of wondered if it was another actual cookie. though it seemed like such a crummy marking ploy to have them spelled so similarly haha

ya know, i've been sitting here for awhile wondering if they were talking about another cookie with the sEmoa spelling!

Eh, whatever... I didn't feel like looking it up so I just went for it! :p

I told myself I wouldnt buy girl scout cookies this year because of the semi-dieting attempts.
But damn you are all making me want some.
And if the adorable little blond haired/blue eyed girl scout comes around to my house again this year, I doubt I'll be able to resist :laugh:

I guess the thin mints are called thin mints wherever they come from...and they're my favorite!

A girl in our class brought a sheet for us to sign up for cookies to buy from her niece. 84 boxes! I got two SAMOAS and a TREFOIL. :)

I definately thought you said you got Samosas and I was really confused that you bought 84 boxes of cookies and got samosas in return... ?!

They used to come to our door but only offered boring chocolate or vanilla cookies, none of this samosa ****. I only ate the chocolate ones anyway :(

The girl scouts on our campus have started getting smart and will take credit cards now... they get me every time. I was a girl scout for 10+ years so I don't mind too much, though. :laugh:

My rave? Frolicking ferrets are the perfect thing to wake up to in the morning. So cute.

They came by my parent's house is VA and I ordered a few boxes. I told my Mom to put them in the freezer for when I come home. AND IF THEY ARE NOT IN THE FREEZER WHEN I AM HOME....

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! Who would have thought the mere mention of GS cookies would spark such chatter! :laugh:

To answer the jealousy question... The City of Brotherly Love isn't the safest place for tots to be going door to door. So, they set up shop in the train stations with full cash and carry service. It's really quite clever... The come with a table, adults, cases of cookies and their smiling faces. They stay safe and ensure they won't get 'stiffed' upon delivery. What's really nice is that the public transportation system gives all troops a chance. However, it's not so good for the 'weak' commuter... Last year I tried the 'But I already bought cookies' and got the response of "But not from OUR troop!". Cost me yet another box of Thin Mints. Thank goodness they freeze so darn well... I had cookies well into the fall! :D

And I still can't get used to the fact that the names of the cookies 'changed' on the East Coast. I still call them Samoas, Tagalongs, etc... And thanks to orca2011 for helping me to figure out what's 'missing' in the Caramel Delight. The cookie just isn't the same in the milk chocolate. Thank heavens they left the Thin Mint unscathed!!

They came by my parents' house is VA and I ordered a few boxes. I told my Mom to put them in the freezer for when I come home. AND IF THEY ARE NOT IN THE FREEZER WHEN I AM HOME....

hahaha i just read this for a second time since this morning and am no longer wonder "who" and "what" had better be in the freezer when you get home. i...have spent too much time studying this weekend it appears :laugh:

And I still can't get used to the fact that the names of the cookies 'changed' on the East Coast. I still call them Samoas, Tagalongs, etc... And thanks to orca2011 for helping me to figure out what's 'missing' in the Caramel Delight. The cookie just isn't the same in the milk chocolate. Thank heavens they left the Thin Mint unscathed!!

I'm pretty sure the East Coast names were the ORIGINALS!!! ;) I don't think names were ever "changed", I just think they have always been called something different in each region... *cough* caramel delights *cough* :p

so 2 raves:
ordered 2 boxes of samoas and 1 box of thin mints :D

AND I BOUGHT TICKETS TO SEE THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS IN MAY with my sister!!!! :biglove:

so 2 raves:
ordered 2 boxes of samoas and 1 box of thin mints :D

AND I BOUGHT TICKETS TO SEE THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS IN MAY with my sister!!!! :biglove:

Omg, I love girl scout cookies. My parents would always buy a ton of boxes when I was in girl scouts. And now that I'm older I always buy at least 2 boxes of each flavor. :D

I found an awesome designer pin-stripped black suit and blouse for my Auburn interview for under $60!!! This suit will also come in handy for when I defend my thesis in May/ etc. :D

Doesn't it feel great to find the perfect outfit? I have a couple of events coming up and am still searching for mine (mostly online shopping because I'm very tall and can't every buy pants in a store). I'll know it when I see it, though! Good luck on your interview!

Cheap clothes! :D I'm not a big clothes shopper (it comes with having somewhat alternative taste), but I do like a bargain. I picked up a dress for my university graduation just before Christmas. Classic but unique black dress. $75 marked down to $14.

Of course, with any luck, that dress might be too big by graduation day in May, because I'm down another 2lbs! :D

Cheap clothes! :D I'm not a big clothes shopper (it comes with having somewhat alternative taste), but I do like a bargain. I picked up a dress for my university graduation just before Christmas. Classic but unique black dress. $75 marked down to $14.

Of course, with any luck, that dress might be too big by graduation day in May, because I'm down another 2lbs! :D

Bravo on the weight loss!

Coquette - That is so great about 2 more lbs! Soon you'll be able to sell your old clothes and buy ALL new ones! Good for you!

Rave turned minor rant:

First, the rave. Tae kwon do club! Kicking stuff for the first time in three years! Woot!:smuggrin:

The inevitable rant: feet. blisters. 4 hour SPCA shift tomorrow. Owwww . . .

Oh my goodness! Who would have thought the mere mention of GS cookies would spark such chatter! :laugh:

Haha, you're quite welcome. I've pretty much always had the Caramel Delights, but got Samoas when I was in school in Baltimore. I kind of prefer them since I love dark chocolate. But anything with chocolate is good, so no major complaints.

Soon you'll be able to sell your old clothes and buy ALL new ones! Good for you!

I doubt anyone would want my clothes. :laugh: I tend to wear them to death (several t-shirt have small holes, but I refuse to part with them yet cause I love them). I wouldn't mind buying all new jeans though.