RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got to see the great Jaromir Jagr play for the first time in my life. As much as it kills me to see him in orange, it was still sheer joy to watch him at work.

I hope he gets deported.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope he gets deported.

This settles it. If I get accepted to Davis, I will definitely be buying a #68 Flyers jersey to wear around campus. And maybe a Giroux jersey as well for when the Jagr one is in the laundry. :D

Actually, I am just glad to see when people are fans of the NHL. Best sport in the world.

Thanks Bisbee and LMMS...here's Mookie! <3

So cute!

My raves: I got a new betta. His name is Scrappy and he is a feisty little thing. It was my cat's adoption celebration day on Friday. I've had her for 4 years and adopting her was the best decision I've ever made :) Finally, I was asked to be the team leader for the Brownies/Girl Guides tours at the animal shelter I volunteer at. All in all it was a good weekend :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
:woot: I just got an interview for a paid position at the wildlife rehab I volunteer for!! I really hope I get it. :xf:

Raves:

- I love large animal anatomy
- I love some of the people in my class, they're amazing
- My kitty is doing well

To make up for my pizza-less bitching of last night:

Three months ago I started working with an obnoxious colt.
He couldn't walk politely on a lead line, couldn't lunge at all, "whoa" meant nothing, and our attempts at lunging involved lunge lines hooked irectly to the bit and him bucking and rearing and bolting in circles. When we finally got past the theatrics, he couldn't trot in a circle without falling over in either direction, and canter attempts resulted in him flying across the arena dragging me around.

After three months of being worked 2-3x a week max....
Now, we lunge like a gentleman in just a halter! He's been going nicely at the trot under saddle for about 2 months, and today, we CANTERED FOR THE FIRST TIME! 6 kisses, 6 beautiful, instant canter departs. Seriously- not a single trot step, just instantly launched into the canter. Didn't hang on my arms, didn't run, didn't fall into a circle, no baby theatrics whatsoever. Whoa'd as soon as I asked. Absolute perfection, even on his bad lead. I am so proud of him! :love: He was so good I almost fell off in shock- I was braced and ready for him to yank his head down and lean on me, and there was nothing!

Next Monday, I get to see a cannulated cow!!!!! (Maybe I can stick my hand in one!!!)
My partner and I chose to do a project on methanogens in cattle for our environmental microbiology project, so we are taking a trip to the local agriculture school next week to meet with someone who does research in the field.

Since I am one of those people who has very little large animal experience, I am SO EXCITED.

I just want to fast forward 8 years, when I am completely done with school. I can't take it anymore!:(

After three months of being worked 2-3x a week max....
Now, we lunge like a gentleman in just a halter! He's been going nicely at the trot under saddle for about 2 months, and today, we CANTERED FOR THE FIRST TIME! 6 kisses, 6 beautiful, instant canter departs. Seriously- not a single trot step, just instantly launched into the canter. Didn't hang on my arms, didn't run, didn't fall into a circle, no baby theatrics whatsoever. Whoa'd as soon as I asked. Absolute perfection, even on his bad lead. I am so proud of him! :love: He was so good I almost fell off in shock- I was braced and ready for him to yank his head down and lean on me, and there was nothing!

Congrats! I know how hard it can be to work with a young horse, but it's so rewarding in the end.

I broke in a colt a few years ago and absolutely hated him. But after a while, it just got better and better and I fell in love with him. My friend bought him, but she doesn't ride anymore, so whenever I go to Germany, he is pretty much mine. Her family begs me to ride him, so I go out on trail rides with him every day I'm there. Pure heaven!

:love:

This settles it. If I get accepted to Davis, I will definitely be buying a #68 Flyers jersey to wear around campus. And maybe a Giroux jersey as well for when the Jagr one is in the laundry. :D

Blasphemy!

PS: Nice work, cowgirla!!

Last edited:
Studying sucks...but having "The X-Files" as background noise makes everything slightly better. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
grenadian independence day means a day off of classes!!
"This is Grenada", right? lol. My friend just started at SGU and she always finishes hilarious Grenada stories with TIG. :) Enjoy your day off!

"This is Grenada", right? lol. My friend just started at SGU and she always finishes hilarious Grenada stories with TIG. :) Enjoy your day off!

haha yup! TIG.

for once the weather cooperated AND i was motivated to go to the beach. that hasn't happened since...october? my friend and i went for a bit once this semester, and as soon as we arrived the weather went gross (we did swim for a bit before it began pouring for hours though haha).

now it's onto immunology until thursday morning. whee

Our CVM (along with the med school, engineering school, and one other) and some local middle schools are collaborating to give students who have an aptitude for/interest in the sciences a chance to explore possible careers. A few pre-vet club members are helping out, so I volunteered 2 weekends ago to be a guide for a group, and absolutely loved it!

They got to see our equine area, some research/lab animal things, our infamous toxicology professor, and the gross anatomy lab. (Anatomy was my favorite part to bring them to. The students are dissecting horses/cattle and they were hanging from the ceiling with their 2 front legs missing- the kids reactions were priceless).
Anyway, the club president isn't going to be able to make it this weekend and he knows I adored the experience, so he asked me to cover for him. :D

It's silly to be so excited to deal with middle schoolers at 8 on a Saturday morning, but this sort of this is my JAM. I'm so stoked I get to do the tours again!

Our CVM (along with the med school, engineering school, and one other) and some local middle schools are collaborating to give students who have an aptitude for/interest in the sciences a chance to explore possible careers. A few pre-vet club members are helping out, so I volunteered 2 weekends ago to be a guide for a group, and absolutely loved it!

They got to see our equine area, some research/lab animal things, our infamous toxicology professor, and the gross anatomy lab. (Anatomy was my favorite part to bring them to. The students are dissecting horses/cattle and they were hanging from the ceiling with their 2 front legs missing- the kids reactions were priceless).
Anyway, the club president isn't going to be able to make it this weekend and he knows I adored the experience, so he asked me to cover for him. :D

It's silly to be so excited to deal with middle schoolers at 8 on a Saturday morning, but this sort of this is my JAM. I'm so stoked I get to do the tours again!

You're in MO, right? The animals got another transformation today... Now they're pelvises on tables. :(

(also yes, yes to infamous toxicology professor. I love him.)

You're in MO, right? The animals got another transformation today... Now they're pelvises on tables. :(

(also yes, yes to infamous toxicology professor. I love him.)

Yep, I'm in MO. Cool! It'll be neat to see another transformation. (Do you know if those are 1st or 2nd year student's animals?)

I've only seen him do the general presentations to the Pre-Vet club, and the like, but I can't get enough of him. I'm so excited to have him as an actual professor instead of guest lecturer!

Yep, I'm in MO. Cool! It'll be neat to see another transformation. (Do you know if those are 1st or 2nd year student's animals?)

I've only seen him do the general presentations to the Pre-Vet club, and the like, but I can't get enough of him. I'm so excited to have him as an actual professor instead of guest lecturer!

They are the large animal anatomy class's dissection animals. You take LA anatomy blocks 3 and 4 of your 1st year. :)

I don't think we get him until 2nd year, though. He will burst into random classes though and yell, "ARE WE DOING OKAY? IS EVERYONE OKAY? DON'T FREAK OUT. EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE FINE!!!!!!"

I always appreciate it.

I am probably going to the LA hospital to shadow tomorrow and was told I might even get to be there during a surgery! First time shadowing and then that! I'm super excited! I can't stop smiling!

I got to see the great Jaromir Jagr play for the first time in my life. As much as it kills me to see him in orange, it was still sheer joy to watch him at work.

So jelly! You're either a Penguins fan, a Flyers hater, or both. Cheers to any of the former... Talbot changed over this year too. Traitors.

Next Monday, I get to see a cannulated cow!!!!! (Maybe I can stick my hand in one!!!)
My partner and I chose to do a project on methanogens in cattle for our environmental microbiology project, so we are taking a trip to the local agriculture school next week to meet with someone who does research in the field.

Since I am one of those people who has very little large animal experience, I am SO EXCITED.

The cannulated cows at the AC are quite neat. The vet I work for does the surgeries for them. Unfortunately, not recently. People there are nice as well. Let us know how it goes!

They are the large animal anatomy class's dissection animals. You take LA anatomy blocks 3 and 4 of your 1st year. :)

I don't think we get him until 2nd year, though. He will burst into random classes though and yell, "ARE WE DOING OKAY? IS EVERYONE OKAY? DON'T FREAK OUT. EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE FINE!!!!!!"

I always appreciate it.

All of that sounds just completely marvelous. I cannot cannot cannot wait until April when it's official and then August when it's really official! :soexcited:

So, a ray of sunshine in my otherwise dark day,
A couple of weeks ago this very small, very old kitty followed me into my apartment. We fed her but she had a collar without tags so we figured she was one of the complex's numerous outdoor cats and let her go back out, figuring if I saw her again, I'd take her in. A week later she was back and weaker, so I took her in, fed her and set her up in the living room for the night. In the morning I took her to ASAP (the local cat shelter) to check for microchip/turn her in. No chip, but a promising lead on her family in the lost cat logs. Found out today they found her owners, they live 6 blocks from me and were quite relieved! She was 22 years old and had been outside since November 30th ( I brought her in 2/3)

39c6f439.jpg
cbc691a3.jpg

72b4a7f9.jpg

A couple of weeks ago this very small, very old kitty followed me into my apartment. We fed her but she had a collar without tags so we figured she was one of the complex's numerous outdoor cats and let her go back out, figuring if I saw her again, I'd take her in. A week later she was back and weaker, so I took her in, fed her and set her up in the living room for the night. In the morning I took her to ASAP (the local cat shelter) to check for microchip/turn her in. No chip, but a promising lead on her family in the lost cat logs. Found out today they found her owners, they live 6 blocks from me and were quite relieved! She was 22 years old and had been outside since November 30th ( I brought her in 2/3)

Box: Way to go!!!! :clap::bow: What a cutie. Proof not only that you're good people but that it's true what they say... Animals will always seek out those who care. Well done!!! :thumbup:

I really try never to unload a bunch of vet school complaining on my boyfriend. I'll give the usual, "Yeah we have an exam coming up...not ready for it...gonna be a late night of studying...so sleepy...blah blah blah," but nothing that's ever whiny or over the top. Monday I just couldn't take it anymore and HAD to unload a full rant of everything school related during our phone call. There is sooooo much crap going on this semester (both strictly school and just school-associated) that just all came out. As he says, I had my stress pants on way too tight.

And then the next day I got a huge bouquet of "for your stress and studies" flowers delivered. He's too good.

Except now I think I really ought to freak out more often if this is how it's going to be rewarded.

Actually, I am just glad to see when people are fans of the NHL. Best sport in the world.

I'll stuff you in a locker. No joke.

There's already a Caps fan and a Red Wings fan in the class of 2013, do we really have to add a Flyers fan into the mix??

I've played hockey since I was four, the NHL is secondary to me but I do bleed black and gold (go Pens).

I really try never to unload a bunch of vet school complaining on my boyfriend. I'll give the usual, "Yeah we have an exam coming up...not ready for it...gonna be a late night of studying...so sleepy...blah blah blah," but nothing that's ever whiny or over the top. Monday I just couldn't take it anymore and HAD to unload a full rant of everything school related during our phone call. There is sooooo much crap going on this semester (both strictly school and just school-associated) that just all came out. As he says, I had my stress pants on way too tight.

And then the next day I got a huge bouquet of "for your stress and studies" flowers delivered. He's too good.

Except now I think I really ought to freak out more often if this is how it's going to be rewarded.

That's awesome :):love:

There's already a Caps fan and a Red Wings fan in the class of 2013, do we really have to add a Flyers fan into the mix??

I've played hockey since I was four, the NHL is secondary to me but I do bleed black and gold (go Pens).

The wheels are set in motion. Got my interview invite yesterday. :smuggrin:

:laugh: you Okies...not exactly known for their hockey... ;)
Growing up in OK, I went to my first hockey game at the age of 21 in Vermont :laugh: and it was AWESOME. I really want to go catch a game from the semi-pro league we have here but haven't been able to find the time.

39c6f439.jpg
cbc691a3.jpg

72b4a7f9.jpg

I love stories with happy endings! :love:
She's a pretty tough girl to have survived outside at that age!

So jelly! You're either a Penguins fan, a Flyers hater, or both. Cheers to any of the former... Talbot changed over this year too. Traitors.

Grew up in north Jersey. I do believe that's 'nuff said.

The wheels are set in motion. Got my interview invite yesterday. :smuggrin:

If this all comes to fruition, be certain to have a camera handy!! My preference would be to see the back of the Giroux jersey... :smuggrin:

If this all comes to fruition, be certain to have a camera handy!! My preference would be to see the back of the Giroux jersey... :smuggrin:

Apparently one peeking through the front of a locker.

By the way, don't tell Nyanko, but I am a 6'4" 230 lbs. former linebacker from Penn State. I just happen to love kitties.

I had a great time shadowing at the LA hospital here. The vet is very nice and looking for more people for me to shadow. She explained stuff when I had questions and pretty much told me to come back whenever I wanted (and she's there.. they rotate so she's not always there). The 4th years students are also really nice. They narrated what they were doing for me. There's two girls from Brazil that are really awesome.

All in all, I had a great time and am super excited to go back next week!

I got a 90 on my chem test! Today is such a great day! Awesome shadowing, A on my chem test, and later I have an interview after which I get approved to get a guide dog puppy to raise next semester.