Rawrr I'm almost done with schools list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSnowFoxD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
See my MDapps :)

Before I add those 11 schools, is there anything that sticks out to anyone in my list? I know stony brook isn't very oos friendly, but I'm applying there because it's pretty. No really...I'm shallow like that :p Most of the schools I picked because environment is important to me, but do you think that would lessen my chances? Since everyone wants to go to a nice place, yknow?

I'm still on the border with
UMich (that tiny chance isn't worth it...is it?)
Columbia (also slim chance)
URochester (PBL?)

As I was unchecking all the schools I had checked on MDapps, I felt like every click hurt a little. :thumbdown: Scared. Should I add more "lower tier" schools?

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats and ECs, your application list is overkill. Nevertheless, while I don't think you need to add more schools, I understand how you feel. If you feel much more comfortable applying broadly and you've go the dough and the time, go ahead.

Just be aware that with your stats you really will get a lot of interviews. My best advice for when that happens is to triage. If you get a bunch of interviews, schedule those that you're most interested in ASAP (August/September). For those that you really think won't be as good of a fit for or are definitely less desirable for location or other reasons, schedule them in late October or early November. That way, if you get an acceptance in mid-October, you can cancel those interviews. It'll save money, time, and spaces for others that would kill for an interview at those schools. Now, if you wanted to cut some schools, I'd consider the two SUNYs, UMDNJ, Cincinnati and Toledo. Not sure about how OOS friendly the latter two are.

RFU (which I see on your list) is a good OOS safety for you since they like CA applicants and are actively trying to raise their MCAT stats (and thus will be very interested in interviewing you if you apply). In light of that, you might want to cut UIC. OOS they are insanely expensive - check it out. I think it's around $53,000/year (not counting about 10k more for the second and third years because of summers). Inconceivably, if you wanted to add another "safety" school or two, you could try Tulane. Or perhaps Rush if you're keen on Chicago.

I hate to add another to your list, but you might want to check out GW. I see you've got some health care policy and international ECs, and they've got a really neat track program with amazing opportunities in those areas that might appeal to you. But in the end, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you'll get into a UC you really like and which is MUCH cheaper and go there over the vast majority of the other schools on your list. Good luck. :luck:

That list is way too long for your stats and profile. Better safe than sorry, I guess, but that is a lot to keep track of, not to mention paying for...

With your profile, you should be able to have great success with no more than say 20 schools...if you were in just about any other state than CA (and in a state with a good instate option), you could get by with maybe 12 to 15 schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
You should shorten your list.

Eliminate: Toledo, IL, VCU, UMDNJ, OHSU, PSU, Vermont, SUNY (2x) and Cincinnati.

This leaves about 26 schools. It's a large number, but many are very selective so it's good to apply broadly. You're competitive for any school in the nation, so you should do very well. Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks so much for the help :) Thanks for the interview advice too, Phoenix (congrats on Mayo btw!).

I'm dumber than a four year old. :(