RBorhani...More Info On ER Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docflanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
RBorhani,

I'm not sure how to email you directly, so I started this new thread. Can you please explain to me briefly why you chose to do a Allopathic EM Residency instead of an Osteopathic one? Next year I will be starting at MSUCOM and want to somewhat direct my education toward EM or Orthopedics. I strongly believe in exploring future plans in advance, therefore, want to know more about your personal decision. I've read your other replies and you'd mentioned that you rotated through POH. What was this hospital like for you? Where did you go to medical school? Please give me some more info. Thanks

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSU Class of 2004

Members don't see this ad.

As I dont think other people are interested in this info. I will email it you ...

I would love to hear why you chose an allopathic residency instead of an AOA one. Please share. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted a residency program that was affiliated with a major university and one that had a strong EMS commitment. I felt that Univ of IL was the best option for me? There are great osteopathic EM programs out there, I just thought Univ of IL met my needs better?

Rbohr,
Are you in the residency now? Or do you start in July? If you started already, any pointers? I start in a couple of months.
DRC

No I start in July... I am looking for all the pointers I can get too.. where are you doing yours at?

R B,
I start at Wayne State in July. Not Grace, but Detroit Receiving Hopsital. Good Luck to you! Good Luck to me, I guess we will need it!!
DRC
P.S. you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Im a Paramedic/FF and pasionate about EM. Im an undergrad seeking out prospective schools and residencies trying to find what is right for me.

What other, if any, subspecialties/double-board certifications are there besides EM-IM and EM-Peds? What programs have these combined studies?

Which residency program is most focused on Emergency cardiology, and/or cutting edge emerg. care/research?

Does a med. school make a BETTER EP? Which med. school produces the most EP's in % and why? What makes the school more focused on EM? Or are the specialties completely based on the residency program?

I'm trying to choose my path, then do what it takes to get there. All help is sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

------------------
EmrgncMedic*
FF/NREMT-Paramedic
Undergrad/"Gonnabe M.D."

There are only EM-IM and EM-Peds combined residencies. YOu can do a fellowship post residency in to subspecialize in EM in areas such as EMS, Toxicology, Ultrasound...etc...

I dont think there are any schools that will make you a better EM doctor than others...This will only depend on you and your residency. Research different residency programs and apply to the ones that you meet your needs. YOu can get all the residency info from http://www.saem.org (read the section for medical students)

RB