RC Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tajlrak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about 3 weeks out before my test, and my CDR scores are all over the place, high as 20 and low as 14(Idk what happened).

My method is to read, and map. Already tried the search and destroy, and the question mapping strategy(which is where I made the 14). The highest I made was when I just read and mapped so I figured I would stick to one strategy and perfect it.

My biggest problem seems to be I am having a hard time finishing within the time period. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I use a risky method, but it seems to work for me. What I do is, before actually reading the passage, I skin through all the questions, writing down keywords from each question. After that, I read the passage, and when I come across a word that was in one of the questions, I write down the number of the paragraph where the word was located. Rinse and repeat. Good luck to you.

So I finally got another 20 on my 6 CDR test. I read the first two paragraphs, and I had two search any destroy for the last one? Any advice?

So I tried a bunch of strategies. Reading is my weakness and the reason I am re-taking the exam. I was doing ok about 70% per story using the strategies but always went over on time.

So what I did I went one one of the test one stories a long one and started reading it and timing myself. It took me about 8-9 min. Then I tried this on a story I had not done and about the same with 10 min to answer the questions.

This seemed to work really well. Find you pace with the stories and try to be done with 8-9 min so you have about 10 min for the questions. I was also thinking if around the 8 min marker I am not done I might start doing the questions anyway and then only do search and destroy just in those last paragraph or two that is left. after I have answered every non marked question.

The reason I stumbled to this strategy if you want to call it that(not sure if anyone made anything like this) is because doing search and destroy made me feel ADD, loose my place and the stress out and loose even more time. I also dont take any notes because under stress my writing is bad sooo no point to waist time. At the end with this you have read the story tone questions will be ezzz and at worst you can guess what you might think the answer might be.

Also from what I have been reading is that most of the DAT done post RC seems to be vary anti s&d now so its not good to be 100% dependent on that.

Give it a go and let me know what you think. Also if you have any adjustments that would be cool because I am less than 2 weeks away and trying to find the best way possible how to approach this.

I found that CrackDAT Reading passages were also a bit longer than the real tests I've taken (maybe additional 5 paragraphs for each passage, give or take).

I also did get a lot of the "inference" type questions, and I think crackdat RC prepares you well for those types of questions (make SURE to review those).

My strategy: relax and read. Medium read to get a sense of the passage (10 mins) and then answer questions, referring back to passage when necessary.