RC Strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcbnerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 19 on the RC section of my DAT and I will be retaking it again this summer. I was sure I was going to get a much higher score since most of the questions were detail questions. What are your guys' methods to tackling this section of the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

There are many, many strategies floating around this section. Perhaps searching the forum for RC strategy and finding a thread with a number of replies will do the trick. I believe BYU4U (not entirely correct) has a good strategy. Ari also has strategies listed on the RC page of DAT Bootcamp.

Yeah I am quite new to SDN, but I have looked up BYU4U's post and I will follow that strategy. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 19 on the RC section of my DAT and I will be retaking it again this summer. I was sure I was going to get a much higher score since most of the questions were detail questions. What are your guys' methods to tackling this section of the DAT?

As you know, or will find out, there are many strategies. Ultimately, find something that works for you and stick to it. I was jumping around search and destroy and a bunch of other methods, but what really worked for me was reading the whole thing and answering questions. It sounds simple, but you know for sure that you won't miss anything with that approach. good luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Read fast. I would read a paragraph, jot down important words/concepts/ideas/anything that I thought they could ask about, and kept moving.
This doesn't work for everyone, but it did for me.

I used up a lot of paper this way, but once I got to the questions, I could read the questions, find out which paragraph related to the question and find the pertinent information relatively quickly. If you're a slow reader, this might not work, but it was my strategy! Good luck! :)

I read 3 articles a day from Scientific American for ~3 weeks.

On the DAT, I used a type of S&D strategy I read about on Bootcamp. Went straight to the questions, skipped inference/tone questions, and started w/detail-based questions (like definitions). Then skimmed the passage for keywords. THIS PART IS REALLY IMPORTANT: once you find a keyword, make sure to read a few sentences preceding and following that keyword to make sure it's being used in the right context and correctly answers the question. You can easily be misled into thinking you have the answer because you see a specific word in the passage that matches a word in the question. When you finish answering the detail-based questions, move onto the inference/tone questions. Note that you should skip any questions you aren't able to answer quickly and come back to them later. You don't want to spend too much time on one question. This is how I got a 28 on RC. :) This section saved my AA cuz I sucked at the sciences.. o_O

Reactions: 1 users