RC Strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurningPro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm having trouble breaking the low 20's In the RC section. Does anyone have any tested strategies that significantly boosted their QR scores? Outside of Kaplan, what are the best resources? Also is there any specific criteria for the types of passages on the DAT? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I'm having trouble breaking the low 20's In the RC section. Does anyone have any tested strategies that significantly boosted their QR scores? Outside of Kaplan, what are the best resources? Also is there any specific criteria for the types of passages on the DAT? Thanks for your help.

I'm confused. Are you interested in learning about how to increase your RC, QR, or both? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken a DAT yet so I don't have a lot of experience in the subject but I'd say look at a few of the "DAT Breakdowns" people have written up to help you. I think most people have the best luck with the 'Search and Destroy' method, but that's just the feel I get from this place. I've also read about people reading scientific journals to become better readers which may be a good option.

There are many posts regarding alternative RC strategies. Search them and you will find them.

Good Luck:thumbup:

If you have time you should go out and buy 101 passages for the MCAT those will really help your verbal skills.

i totally agree...in my opinion the 101 MCAT book questions are harder than kaplan's RC and my kaplan practice tests RC went up like 3 points after practice with that MCAT book

What have you been practicing with? Topscore? I would recommend using the search and destroy method... don't even bother reading the article when it first pops up on the screen- skip to the first question. I took the DAT yesterday and found the RC section to be very straightforward w/ only about 5/50 questions that were not explicitly in the passage (like tone questions... basic inference). I never practiced for this section and got a 20 and a 22 using Topscore and a 26 on the real thing. I would just recommend pacing yourself and working on being able to spot key words very quickly. To be honest, many of the questions are very straightforward and you just have to spend some time looking for the answer. Typically, the first few go in order through the passage, too.

I have the 101 MCAT book, how did you guys go about studying for it? Did you do a couple of passages a day? What methods did you guys use?

Search and destroy would be the best for the DAT if you're a slow reader, using the MCAT 101 book will help you read more efficiently, as the reading on the MCAT is slightly harder. I use the word slightly because they are basically the same thing but MCAT has more inference/tone questions than the DAT.