RC Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragoBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I know there's different ways of tackling this section of the DAT so i just want to get feedback on what works best for you! As of now I use BootCamp as my sole source for studying the RC part. Here's how I fared:

First and second practice exams- 18, 20. I did the reading the entire passage while making notes for each paragraph method. I got about 10 min remaining to make corrections/reread.

Third- 17. Vicviper method here. It has worked wonderfully for some but for some reason I was terrible at it :( I wrote down some key words as i looked at each question (took about 5 min!) but I had 10+ unanswered by the time i finished skimming the passage!! 5 min remaining for corrections.

Fourth- 22 :)) I averaged 25/50 questions correct for the above methods but with Search and Destroy, got 39/50.. I honestly didnt think Search and Destroy was for me but with this score, I finally have some much needed encouragement :) I pray this method continues to work..

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I know there's different ways of tackling this section of the DAT so i just want to get feedback on what works best for you! As of now I use BootCamp as my sole source for studying the RC part. Here's how I fared:

First and second practice exams- 18, 20. I did the reading the entire passage while making notes for each paragraph method. I got about 10 min remaining to make corrections/reread.

Third- 17. Vicviper method here. It has worked wonderfully for some but for some reason I was terrible at it :( I wrote down some key words as i looked at each question (took about 5 min!) but I had 10+ unanswered by the time i finished skimming the passage!! 5 min remaining for corrections.

Fourth- 22 :)) I averaged 25/50 questions correct for the above methods but with Search and Destroy, got 39/50.. I honestly didnt think Search and Destroy was for me but with this score, I finally have some much needed encouragement :) I pray this method continues to work..

Anyone else in the same boat as me?
The problem is that some versions of the test are very tone oriented so S and D is situational. I started using a half map method. It is on w4nttobeadds's breakdown

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if this a patented method but I've done this for the ACT and in my practice RC's. I like to read the first 2 questions and then start reading. If I can answer a question I do and read the next question. Once I have read half the passage it's straight search and destroy.

I like doing this because I feel like I'm hitting on all cylinders and I don't go into a passage wondering what strategy will work best. I stick to this one no matter the questions.

1. You understand the tone of the passage. So even with tone heavy questions you can still hit your mark.
2. You arnt trying to memorize 12-18 paragraphs of text but rather 6-9 ( a lot more manageable).
3. A lot of questions will be s&d based on a lot of breakdown reading. So if this is true, then reading the whole passage is a shot to your Achilles b.c unless you have a gifted memory, you're going to be returning to the passage to hunt down answers anyways.

Just my 2 cents but everyone's different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this a patented method but I've done this for the ACT and in my practice RC's. I like to read the first 2 questions and then start reading. If I can answer a question I do and read the next question. Once I have read half the passage it's straight search and destroy.

I like doing this because I feel like I'm hitting on all cylinders and I don't go into a passage wondering what strategy will work best. I stick to this one no matter the questions.

1. You understand the tone of the passage. So even with tone heavy questions you can still hit your mark.
2. You arnt trying to memorize 12-18 paragraphs of text but rather 6-9 ( a lot more manageable).
3. A lot of questions will be s&d based on a lot of breakdown reading. So if this is true, then reading the whole passage is a shot to your Achilles b.c unless you have a gifted memory, you're going to be returning to the passage to hunt down answers anyways.

Just my 2 cents but everyone's different.
Yea this is about the same thing I've been doing.

I was actually about to waste a bunch of time writing what I did, but then I looked up and CornHusker has the same basic concept of what I did and it worked great for me. I scored a 22, 26, and 20 on the final DAT BC RC tests and a 25 on the real DAT using this method.