RC Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there seems to be a lot of people who don't have a solid strategy for RC.

I'll post here again after I take my DAT tomorrow but with a recent 20 and 21 on achiever RC, I feel like I can confidently say that my method is pretty solid.

To sum it up, it's called multitasking.

You have around 17 questions per passage. You want to knock out all of them in under 20 minutes.

Right at the first passage, look at the first 2 questions, nothing more, -unless- either question is a tone/inference question. Look at the 3rd question, and regardless of what it is, remember a keyword about each of the 3 or 2 questions.

Then proceed to read. Usually, you'd want to start mapping out the passage in your mind, like for example, oh the first 2 paragraphs are thesis-oriented, then it goes into 5 supporting paragraphs, 2 counterexample paragraphs etc.

By the time you get around 1/3 of the way done (about 5 paragraphs at the most), you should have keywords that make you think of the first 2 questions. Go to the question or questions. Look at where the keyword is, and figure out what the answer is.

Then look at the next 2-3 questions again. This time, you might have found questions containing -other- keywords you recognize from reading the first 1/3 of the passage. Look at where the passage contains the keywords, answer the corresponding questions.

Keep looking/answering questions until you get 2-3 in total that you don't know. Like say, from question 1-6, I answered all but #2 and #5. That's enough, stop looking for new questions, keep reading.

Once you get another 1/3 done, look at the new questions as well as the old to see which ones you can answer. You should get to around question 10. Answer stuff.

Finish the passage, because at this time you kind of know what the passage is talking about and don't need to look ahead at new questions to S&D them. Answer all the questions.

The overall effect is this. Most of us do not have a photographic memory and even with a good recollection of where certain keywords are in the passage, 12-16 paragraphs is too long and the density per paragraph is too....dense. So then, we tend to go to the 2 extremes....either pure S&D without understanding what the passage is talking about, or pure reading which makes you risk a lot of time as well as the fact that you cannot memorize everything after reading 1 time.

However, with this method, you're basically telling yourself, okay I'm knocking out around 2 questions for every 1/3 passage that I'm reading, and chances are that there won't be anymore questions related to the same exact thing that those 2 questions covered. So you end up realizing that you're reading and answering at the same time, which will last until question 8 or so when you're done reading and have filtered out all the easy questions. Yes you spent maybe 2 minutes more than the pure reader, but the thing is you're 8 questions ahead and you probably have a better memory of the passage than the pure reader does, which will help you on the last 9 questions too.

This gives you confidence because it's a safer investment than pure S&D or pure reading. Practice this on some achiever or CDR readings (topscore and qvault are too easy) and with each try, you should gain more confidence about your reading speed and how you split your questions/passage amount (e.g. read 2 questions for every 3 paragraphs etc).

I'll be trying this on my DAT tomorrow, let you guys know how it goes. Questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Good Luck. You will do great!! Waiting for the good news 2moro and thx for the tip!! Hopefully I'll do better with this method :)

Thanks for the tip! Goodluck tomorrow! I am going try this method because I did Crack DAT Reading a while back and my first three test score was pretty much 17, 18, and 19. I am hoping to get around a 20+! So I will definitely start trying your method soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question
I'm not sure if this question can be answered by anyone BUT
are the questions in chronological order?

so questions 1-10 on mostly on paragraphs 1-10 for example?

I have a question
I'm not sure if this question can be answered by anyone BUT
are the questions in chronological order?

so questions 1-10 on mostly on paragraphs 1-10 for example?

Nope it is not in chronological order. I remember there was a question at the end on my RC section where I found the answer in the first paragraph.

p.s. that is a sweet strategy! :)

Great advice here, thanks for sharing. I did my first RC test in a free online kaplan full length exam and I went into panic mode, resulting in frantic S&D and few correct answers... I'll try this method next time I attack an RC section.

I'm going to have to disagree with this strategy. I received a 28 on the RC section of my DAT (by far my strongest section) and really think it is all about staying calm. Even if you are not the fastest reader, 1 hour is more than enough time to read all three passages and answer the question. I would highly suggest taking a deep breath and just attacking each passage before trying to answer any of the questions. You waster valuable time going back and forth between the passage and questions and I think your time is much better spent reading the passage and jotting down a few key words per paragraph. For example, if it is a science passage just make sure to write down all those big words so that when you see them in the questions you can refer right back to the paragraph they were in. Realistically, you are always going to have to scan back through the passage when you are answering the questions but if you have read the whole thing first you atleast have a sense of what they are asking. I think reading the questions cold and then trying to read the passage will only serve to make you more frantic and more likely to forget important details.Additionally, it is extremely unlikely that the questions are going to be asked in the order they appear in the passage...

This is just my two cents but I really do believe that the key to this section is just to stay calm and focus on reading the passage as quickly and efficiently as possible and THEN attacking the questions. Search and destroy of any type is definitely not the way to go.

I'm going to have to disagree with this strategy. I received a 28 on the RC section of my DAT (by far my strongest section) and really think it is all about staying calm. Even if you are not the fastest reader, 1 hour is more than enough time to read all three passages and answer the question. I would highly suggest taking a deep breath and just attacking each passage before trying to answer any of the questions. You waster valuable time going back and forth between the passage and questions and I think your time is much better spent reading the passage and jotting down a few key words per paragraph. For example, if it is a science passage just make sure to write down all those big words so that when you see them in the questions you can refer right back to the paragraph they were in. Realistically, you are always going to have to scan back through the passage when you are answering the questions but if you have read the whole thing first you atleast have a sense of what they are asking. I think reading the questions cold and then trying to read the passage will only serve to make you more frantic and more likely to forget important details.Additionally, it is extremely unlikely that the questions are going to be asked in the order they appear in the passage...

This is just my two cents but I really do believe that the key to this section is just to stay calm and focus on reading the passage as quickly and efficiently as possible and THEN attacking the questions. Search and destroy of any type is definitely not the way to go.

Thanks for your input.

To address what you've said, I think I understand your concerns about my strategy but I think you may have missed out on a few key points that would be good to reiterate for future readers so that they don't follow a wrong strategy than what was intended.

You're right, it IS all about being calm. But see, that's exactly what my strategy does for people. Instead of reading the passage and jotting down keywords from many paragraphs, you read the questions, which are in order NOT AS IN they're in order corresponding to the passage, but rather that they're question 1, question 2, question 3 and you'll remember which question contained what keyword, and then lastly remember keywords from just the first 2 or 3 questions.

You are hardly wasting valuable time, as it takes more or less 30 seconds to look at the first couple questions. I am NOT advocating pure S&D where you could possibly waste up to 3 minutes looking for the answer to 1 question.

Then as you begin to read the passage, you'll definitely come across something that will spark your memory about the first 3 questions. Again, the questions that you're trying to answer at this point MUST be easy, S&D questions, because the whole point of it is to knock off easy questions and get free points AS you're reading.

As for "reading the questions cold and then trying to read the passage will only serve to make you more frantic and more likely to forget important details", I'm pretty sure people freak out WAY more when they read the entire passage cold and it makes you more frantic when you can't recall where in the passage a simple S&D question was. Whereas with my method, you're taking out those S&D questions WHILE reading FOR the main ideas.

Lastly, when you say the questions are not going to be in order....of course they're not. That's not the point. Let's say you encounter questions 1,2,3 in paragraphs 8,10,12, but then you look at questions 4,5,6 and recall that they were before or after 8,10,12 arbitrarily. That allows your short term memory to function MUCH better to have a landmark paragraph to refer to and map out the passage. Again, if you just attack the entire passage all at once, chances are you won't remember everything and if you jot something down to try to deal with that problem, you'll probably waste a lot of time jotting EVERY single keyword you feel like is important along with their corresponding paragraph number.

Congrats on your 28 RC, no doubt this worked for you. I'm just trying to appease the masses, who probably don't have as good of a memory nor as calm of an attitude as you do when you take the test.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's what I did:

1) Read the passage
2) Answer the questions

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or patronizing. The point of the section is to test your reading comprehension and recall, so why not actually do what they're trying to assess?

For credibility, I didn't prepare a second for RC and made a 24. There's plenty of time to read all three passages, answer the questions, go back and review. If you're a really weak reader, then practice. Otherwise, just study the sciences and practice PAT. Reading is the easiest, albeit arguably most important, section.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic either when I say that you are a genius at RC.

But most people need some kind of strategy. If this works for them, cool. If this doesn't work for them, I apologize and I'd suggest they try something else.

For credibility, this strategy got me a 25.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey buddy, all I gotta say is I didnt practice one and I scored a 17 .. Bad idea to not go in there with soMmee kind of strategy .. Time starts flying when you have so much riding on a good score. :p

Bumping this old post. This strategy worked great for me took my score from 17,18 to 20 in one go in Crack DAT reading. Thanks aqz

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the aforementioned strategy of
1) read the passage
2) answer the questions

This got me a 27.

I do recommend writing down the paragraph numbers though so that any notes you do jot down are organized so you can refer to the paragraph quickly if needed.

I Do a similar strategy where I look at the first question, simply read the first half of the passage, and start answering questions. I am a little confused when you said to keep key words from the questions. Do you not want us to answer any tone or inference questions? Can you kinda explain your strategy alittle bit more because I want to incorporate it with what I do.

I Do a similar strategy where I look at the first question, simply read the first half of the passage, and start answering questions. I am a little confused when you said to keep key words from the questions. Do you not want us to answer any tone or inference questions? Can you kinda explain your strategy alittle bit more because I want to incorporate it with what I do.

This thread is three years old so I don't think the original poster will answer but here's mine not too dissimilar if you have questions

http://www.forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/My-RC-strategy,-the-balanced-approach.1138782/