Rcsi 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander III

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for everybody who is going to RCSI this fall. Anybody who has questions or comments about the school can direct them here. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I also heard that some people from last year's RCSI GEP class met for dinner in the GTA early in the summer (May/June) to meet, talk about the school ect. I thought that this may be good idea for this year's class as well so if anyone else is interested in this, post on this thread and we can set up a date/time/location after classes end in April.

Hey I recently accepted a spot for the five year program. I'm really excited to start! I'm from Saskatchewan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'be accepted a position in the GEP as well.

A meeting in the summer sounds great.

Also, I wanted to know which laptop they give... I am a techie so model number and stuff would be awesome :)

Fellow GEP reporting in.

Also, I wanted to know which laptop they give... I am a techie so model number and stuff would be awesome :)

As a fellow geek I've been wondering this as well (need to figure out what kind of upgrades it needs :D). After searching for a bit, the sparse info. I could find was that for the past few years they've given out some type of HP and before that it was a MacBook.

If anyone finds out anything let everyone else know!

Fellow GEP reporting in.

As a fellow geek I've been wondering this as well (need to figure out what kind of upgrades it needs :D). After searching for a bit, the sparse info. I could find was that for the past few years they've given out some type of HP and before that it was a MacBook.

If anyone finds out anything let everyone else know!

Haha yea, thats all I've heard as well, "an HP" Anyone in first year who can tell us what they got? I assume they'll give us a refreshed model from last years... And since they were giving Macbooks before, it has to be something good...

After some more googling, it seems this is what they gave out last year: http://www.muamat.com/classifieds/9...and_New_Laptop_HP_ProBook_5330M_Notebook.html

Current GEP chiming in- not sure how many years ago that's from, but these are the laptops we got last year: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/hp-620-901560/review. Not overly sleek, but a fairly sturdy laptop overall. IMO, the keyboard didn't take too much adjusting to get used to, and the huge reserve of memory is great for a work-oriented laptop. Most of our class seems to use them, at least for academic purposes. Anyhow, I believe RCSI issues something new and more portable once we get to 3rd year (reportedly a tablet or a smaller notebook; I'll have to look into this)

In any case, congrats to everyone who's headed to RCSI this fall!

Chiming in. I've been accepted to the GEP and will be attending.

I'm up for a potential get together in Toronto. Not sure how many people we can attract depending on peoples locations, but it's worth a shot!

I also have accepted to and will be attending RCSI as a GEP.

I am located in Philadelphia/NYC for the summer. I could potentially make a trip to meet people before.

I'm a compete non techie, ie I literally have no idea abut computers etc. therefore, this may be a stupid question but do you guys know if we need to use the laptop they give us, will it have certain programs uploaded on it that are unique to it?i was looking at buying a MacBook air for gong to Ireland but I am a little hesitant now.
Also it seems like the majority of acceptances were for the 4 year program, does anyone know how many we're accepted to the 5 year? I was hoping to be able to talk to some future class mates before heading over.

I'm a compete non techie, ie I literally have no idea abut computers etc. therefore, this may be a stupid question but do you guys know if we need to use the laptop they give us, will it have certain programs uploaded on it that are unique to it?i was looking at buying a MacBook air for gong to Ireland but I am a little hesitant now.
Also it seems like the majority of acceptances were for the 4 year program, does anyone know how many we're accepted to the 5 year? I was hoping to be able to talk to some future class mates before heading over.

In the letter of acceptance, they said they take roughly 90 North Americans per year (Not sure if this is for the overall program or any specific program)

Members don't see this ad :)

You don't have to use the RCSI-issued laptop. It's convenient when you're starting out since it's already approved for connectivity on the RCSI network (you have to configure a few things before it's good to go, nothing too complicated). You can install/configure the appropriate program on your personal laptop to get on RCSI wi-fi, but you're suppose to get IT approval/bring it over for them to have a quick look-over.

I'll try to chip in on any other questions/issues whenever I get a chance/when I'm taking a break or procrastinating from work

Thanks for the info aka vonk, it's nice having someone to ask! Do you have any idea what the days are like (typically) for first year five year program students. Do they usually go 9 to 5?

GEP for me too! I am in the US but would love to make a meet up work if possible. I will probably move over earlier in the summer before school starts. Ready for someone to start a Facebook group!

From what I've heard the latest OS on the Macbook doesn't play nicely with Moodle (the online learning tool RCSI uses). So you may not be able to use the Macbook for all of your school stuff. I could be wrong though...

i was looking at buying a MacBook air for gong to Ireland but I am a little hesitant now.
Do you mind me asking why buy another laptop if they provide you with one? You could put the money for the MacBook air into a bamf desktop.

From what I've heard the latest OS on the Macbook doesn't play nicely with Moodle (the online learning tool RCSI uses). So you may not be able to use the Macbook for all of your school stuff. I could be wrong though...

Moodle can be pretty picky no matter the OS but I'm not surprised Lion has some issues with it...or in general.

Good Info, thanks I will definitely take that into consideration.
Psychologic: Honestly the selling feature for me was the weight. I hate lugging around my current lap top. Although this is getting quite off topic haha

Hopefully some more 5 years see this forum!

Do you mind me asking why buy another laptop if they provide you with one? You could put the money for the MacBook air into a bamf desktop.

Moodle can be pretty picky no matter the OS but I'm not surprised Lion has some issues with it...or in general.

Do I sense someone who doesn't like apple like me? :D

Do I sense someone who doesn't like apple like me? :D

bHC2b.gif

Last edited:
The day-to-day schedule for the 5-years seems to vary from what I've heard. Some days you may only have one or two classes, others you'll have three to five and will run into early- or mid- afternoon. There's also anatomy lab and sometimes various tutorials that are worked into the weekly schedule.

Couldn't seem to find a link to a typical 5-year program weekly/daily schedule on the site, but for any soon-to-be GEPs- in case you haven't already seen it, here's an approximation of the weekly schedule (might have a few more or less lectures Wed-Fri depending on the week): http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=682&n=661

Last edited:
The day-to-day schedule for the 5-years seems to vary from what I've heard. Some days you may only have one or two classes, others you'll have three to five and will run into early- or mid- afternoon. There's also anatomy lab and sometimes various tutorials that are worked into the weekly schedule.

Couldn't seem to find a link to a typical 5-year program weekly/daily schedule on the site, but for any soon-to-be GEPs- in case you haven't already seen it, here's an approximation of the weekly schedule (might have a few more or less lectures Wed-Fri depending on the week): http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=682&n=661

Any idea how the 6-year program is like? Would it be more or less than the GEP program?

I just got an email from RCSI saying that parents are not allowed to attend the white coat ceremony. Thought you guys might like to know this if your parents were like mine and hoping to be able to attend.

MUCH less than the GEP or 5-year programs.

Ahah really? Sometimes universities like to pack into alot of material in the foundation year to compensate for the shortcomings of the previous education systems.:laugh:

What are you guys doing to find a place? Are you making a trip earlier? Or just finding a place a week before school starts? Or booking one online?

Right now I'm thinking of making a trip at the end of august to find a place...

What are you guys doing to find a place? Are you making a trip earlier? Or just finding a place a week before school starts? Or booking one online?

Head down early for me. I think I'm going to try and arrange a TON of viewings, and pick up a short-term let for a couple weeks and view them.

Anyone know how the reference situation works in Ireland. I'm not used to providing references for landlords, only credit checks etc.

Ahah really? Sometimes universities like to pack into alot of material in the foundation year to compensate for the shortcomings of the previous education systems.:laugh:

Umm...no. I know a few people in the 6-year program, and unless you really really slack off, I don't see it being particularly intesne during the first (foundation) year. You go into 1st med (first year of the 5-year undergraduate program) after foundation anyways, so you're not going above and beyond the standard 5-year route.

Has anyone thought of university housing? My parents seem to be pushing me to seriously consider that option. . .

Has anyone thought of university housing? My parents seem to be pushing me to seriously consider that option. . .

GEP students can't live there. Which I don't mind since I hear they are expensive... If you are going straight out of high school I would recommend doing that if you can afford it just because you will be around other students and it'll help with the transition I guess...

But this is not from experience at RCSI but experience at a similar style for my first year of undergrad...

Most likely I'll be heading out there around late-July or early-August to find a place, get settled and explore Dublin a bit.

Head down early for me. I think I'm going to try and arrange a TON of viewings, and pick up a short-term let for a couple weeks and view them.

Anyone know how the reference situation works in Ireland. I'm not used to providing references for landlords, only credit checks etc.

I've only done a little bit of research but I think they use personal references (simply saying that you won't completely trash the place etc.) and financial references (from your bank saying "yeah they can afford this place"). Nothing to worry about really.

Iv been accepted to the five year program and I will be living in mercer court next year. They seem decent enough, overpriced clearly but then again what isn't in Dublin..
A friend of mine that goes to school at rcsi said that they group you based on nationality so all the Canadians are together or with Americans which is kind of nice.
I also agree with wolf 11, given the program I will be going into I feel this will be best in terms of transition, location etc etc

Hi - I accepted my place at RCSI (Graduate Entry) today...so excited...I have a friend in third year and she loves it. She said accommodation can be kind of expensive (like Toronto prices). anyone know where the best (most economical) place to stay? t will keep an eye out for any get-togethers in Toronto this summer.

I'm hesitant to start a FB group incase there's already one floating around. Anybody know?

I'm hesitant to start a FB group incase there's already one floating around. Anybody know?

I dont think there is one, I saw one for the 2011 entrants, but none for 2012 :D

This is what you should do: Create a group, post the link here, sit back and profit.

Can't create a group without adding people to it. I hope medical school isn't as hard as facebook.