RCSI and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bigchoader

In light of recieving MCAT scores, I was wondering, since RCSI is the only school that looks at MCAT, what is about average for acceptance into a 4 year program?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe all the schools look at the MCAT with the exception of Trinity.

I believe all the schools look at the MCAT with the exception of Trinity.
Oh. What was I talking about? Does RCSI not look at it? Anyways, how can I find MCAT averages and stuff like that for those schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
RCSI, UCD, and UCC look at the MCAT. Trinity doesn't. No official admissions stats are really available for ABP applicants....check the admissions thread...

UCC and RSCI require the MCAT I think. UCD will look at it if you have it. At least it used to be that way if it hasn't changed. Average seems to be about 31-32 it seems. Lowest I've heard of someone getting in was with a 28. But maybe people with lower marks don't share them? So apply no matter what you get. You should have a chance somewhere.

So some one up above said to apply no matter what. I have a 30Q. I want to apply to Ireland and I want to apply to US allo schools. So here are my questions: Is my 30Q with a 3.6 going to be able to get me into a good school over in Ireland? If so, which will I have a decent shot at? Wich are affordable? I am no trustfund guy, but I am not going to pretend like I am broke either (my parents/grandparents will be paying for most of my education). And for those NAns on here, what made you confident that Ireland is what you wanted?

So some one up above said to apply no matter what. I have a 30Q. I want to apply to Ireland and I want to apply to US allo schools. So here are my questions: Is my 30Q with a 3.6 going to be able to get me into a good school over in Ireland? If so, which will I have a decent shot at? Wich are affordable? I am no trustfund guy, but I am not going to pretend like I am broke either (my parents/grandparents will be paying for most of my education). And for those NAns on here, what made you confident that Ireland is what you wanted?

As someone once told me, nobody really knows what they want 100%.

Anyhow, your stats are very good. From what I have read, you are definitely a "healthy" applicant. I think you have to do a bit of investigating--reading up on the schools and using SDN as a tool as well. Also, once you are done with applications and this semester's work (if you are in school), plan a trip to Dublin and visit the schools.

I come from a Central European family and the reason why I find studying medicine abroad so enticing is because of the experience itself--the culture. Of course, getting into a U.S. allo school is great and should be considered, but you must remember that you will be in lockdown for four years, pretty much studying medicine.
I think what most applicants find so great about Ireland is the quality of the schools---I would compare these schools (UCD, UCC, Trinity) to some of the best in the United States. They make good doctors, not robots.
Problem-based medicine is only a recent development in the North American curriculum.
Something comforting in all of this is that you are with your fellow NA's who share the same goals---acing the USMLE's and getting a good residency in the U.S. and Canada.
Like I said, a lot of this is about taking a chance, and seeing where life leads you.

I got in with a 28S...don't let the MCAT score limit your potential application pool, in my experience there is very little agreement between success at RCSI and MCAT scores...I've done fine, maybe even a bit better than fine but that's relative right?