RCSI and USMLE's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssa915

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how well does RCSI prepare thier students for the boards, or more importantly, how they teach thier classes?

i.e. are they like:

(1) Caribbean schools where they tailor thier classes to passing the boards, (2) like US schools where they have advisors and programs to help you out during board review
(3) or do they not really care about that and its something you have to do entirely on your own?

Members don't see this ad.

Like all other irish schools, I'd imagine RCSI follows your choice #3. It's not that they don't care, more like it's not a priority for them although they are aware obviously that some of their students have to prepare for it. You are on your own though, from registering to planning/preparation.

For the most part, yes you really need to prepare on your own for Step 1. However, there is at least one professor at RCSI (of biochemistry) that I know of who gladly meets on Saturdays with students to teach a review for Step 1. Just keep in mind you have to approach first but this prof is very willing and eager to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can do this, that would be very useful. Biochemistry is one of the areas we, as Irish students and FMGs, are weak on. It's not one of the subjects that is taught in a way conducive to the USMLE.

Just get Lippincott's Biochemistry Review and you'll be golden for the USMLE biochem portion. It's designed specifically for USMLE review but I used it as my sole textbook through preclinical biochem sources. It has all the clinical stuff presented as components of all the detailed pathways. Everything you need for now and later!

So, in other words, you can learn (via Lippincott or countless other carefully chosen subject area books) the material you'll be tested on in Ireland with a book that's aimed at NAmerica/USMLE and kill two birds with one stone. I think this works later as well through truly clinical subjects.