RCSI entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endosmoke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if the people who are planing on attending RCSI starting this fall to post their name, stats, background, etc. and what program, 6,5, or 4?
Just for RCSI people. Thanks. Also if you do require any information about RCSI don't hesitate to ask me, i will try to answer all your questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey endosmoke. I'm a current RCSI student, going into my second year of the five year course. I heard that there will be an amalgamation of sorts at some point down the line :confused: with my class and incoming 4-year-course students. Should be exciting!! I'd like to hear from some of my (possible) future classmates! :laugh:

Anyways, I'm Irish, 18 yrs old. Came to RCSI straight after school and doing my leaving cert, and am lovin' it!

Pigface said:
Hey endosmoke. I'm a current RCSI student, going into my second year of the five year course. I heard that there will be an amalgamation of sorts at some point down the line :confused: with my class and incoming 4-year-course students. Should be exciting!! I'd like to hear from some of my (possible) future classmates! :laugh:

Anyways, I'm Irish, 18 yrs old. Came to RCSI straight after school and doing my leaving cert, and am lovin' it!

i dont think the 2nd meds will have any classes together with teh GEP students. They have their own seperate curriculum. The only downside is that they will be graduating in the same year as you so maybe some increase in competition for intern year. I personally don't know how they are going to fit the GEP and your year into the hospitals... there is hardly enough spots as it is... it will be quite crowded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh what I meant was that maybe by the time we're in the clinical years, that we'd have rotations together, perhaps. I guess we won't then, pity though. It'll probably be hilarious and jam-packed! I can't wait! Those big brains making the decisions must know what they're doin' ! ! !

Pigface said:
Oh what I meant was that maybe by the time we're in the clinical years, that we'd have rotations together, perhaps. I guess we won't then, pity though. It'll probably be hilarious and jam-packed! I can't wait! Those big brains making the decisions must know what they're doin' ! ! !

Hey, im starting the four year course in september. I'm a 22 yr old trinity grad and am currently in research in rcsi. the way it works is we have 1st and 2nd year completely separate (we're split between RCSI stephen's green and the new rcsi building in sandyford) then we join up for all the clinical stuff in years three and four (4 and 5 for the five year program). we will have rotations, etc. together

irishgrad said:
Hey, im starting the four year course in september. I'm a 22 yr old trinity grad and am currently in research in rcsi. the way it works is we have 1st and 2nd year completely separate (we're split between RCSI stephen's green and the new rcsi building in sandyford) then we join up for all the clinical stuff in years three and four (4 and 5 for the five year program). we will have rotations, etc. together

ha interseting i didnt even realize they had a new building in sandyford... there was no news about this from the college at all... i heard there were some new res buildings by sandyford... and there is a completely brand new res building just on aungier street... pretty nice.. with wifi!

HI
I want to study in Royal college "medicine" after the Iresh cetificate but I worry about my age , I`m 24 year \old :idea: can they accept me in undergraduate program :confused:
I need your help please

Boss said:
HI
I want to study in Royal college "medicine" after the Iresh cetificate but I worry about my age , I`m 24 year \old :idea: can they accept me in undergraduate program :confused:
I need your help please

of course you can... age has no bearing... as long as you werent a bum on the streets of grafton... like u were doing something useful during your time .. other than that there should be absolutely no problem!

endosmoke said:
of course you can... age has no bearing... as long as you werent a bum on the streets of grafton... like u were doing something useful during your time .. other than that there should be absolutely no problem!

Thanks endosmoke,

I graduated from a physiotherapy school and I'm a pysiotherapist so I wasn't a bum on the streets of grafton :) " I`m interested in medicine filed and I want to study it in Irlend if there is acceptance " graduated or undergraduated programs"

Boss said:
Thanks endosmoke,

I graduated from a physiotherapy school and I'm a pysiotherapist so I wasn't a bum on the streets of grafton :) " I`m interested in medicine filed and I want to study it in Irlend if there is acceptance " graduated or undergraduated programs"

yeah there is... if you do the graduate entry programe at rcsi its 4 years, while the regular entry programme is 5 years. I think this is the last year RCSi will have the 6 year programme.

endosmoke said:
yeah there is... if you do the graduate entry programe at rcsi its 4 years, while the regular entry programme is 5 years. I think this is the last year RCSi will have the 6 year programme.

Is the 5-year program for applicants who have just completed high school?

endosmoke said:
just wondering if the people who are planing on attending RCSI starting this fall to post their name, stats, background, etc. and what program, 6,5, or 4?
Just for RCSI people. Thanks. Also if you do require any information about RCSI don't hesitate to ask me, i will try to answer all your questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I'll be attending the 5 years med. course @ RCSI this Oct.
Name : Yasser Al Jabi
Nationality : Jordanian
Sex : Male
Hobbies : Soccer, swimming, :smuggrin: , table tennis,medicine, business & finance

Jabiyasser said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I'll be attending the 5 years med. course @ RCSI this Oct.
Name : Yasser Al Jabi (AKA O'Gabi, The nutty prospective Doc.)
Nationality : Jordanian
Sex : Male
Hobbies : Soccer, swimming, mischief :smuggrin: , table tennis,Funky stuff, medicine, business & finance

no the 5 year programme is for people who have done their mcats, or done really well in IB program. I dont know of any n.american highschool students going into the 5 year program without doing one or the other i mentioned. And if there is... extremely rare...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, the names namdev, indian, just graduated from high school, will be entering the five year programme this october :) and very excited about it, could use some advice on where to stay and all, and any other advice will be very appreciated.. would like to get to know who else will be attending RCSI this fall as well.. thanks for the opp.. (btw.. im male 18 yrs old.. live in bangkok, thailand)

hey everyone
my name is harith n i m an indian from dubai.i will be joinin the 6yr course in october and jus wanted to know if thrs neone else who might be joinin me in the 6yr course. neways hope to see you all in october.
peace out

Hye Jabiyasser, Namdev, HArith and other people as well... My name is Thani and i'm from Malaysia. Just finished my IB Program and i'll be entering RCSI this Fall (October) in 5 yrs programme.. Really looking forward to know u guys deeper and closer.. Lol.. Btw, i'm not smoking nor drinking ( moreover, this habits is not good for our health rite future doctors?) lol.. Bye,, Chill...

Hi every body ,, I want to ask the GPA they talked about in this forum it is over 4 or 5 , for exmple 3.2 /4 or 3.2 /5.

and what is the GPA RCSI needs fro admission? " for stuednt has a bachelor degree in Rehabiltation-physaicl therapy science"

Thanks

hey everyone,
my names jon, i just finished my ib and coming to rcsi this fall for the 5 year medical course. i'm malaysian-chinese but i've been living overseas for most of my life attending international schools. i'll be living with my sister and her husband who are both graduates of rcsi, so if u guys have any questions i can pass them on x) looking forward to meeting everyone very soon!

this is the last year for the 6 year prog? is this true? i mean where did u hear this from?? :(

No it is not the last year for the six year program at RCSI
That seems to be the popular notion put out there but I have contacted the Atlantic Bridge Program and they are still accepting admission applications for the Fall 2007.
Anyhow, I need some advice: I'm 26 years old and I haven't yet completed my BSc (partially because I kept changing my mind about which field I most wanted to get into). Should I apply for the six year program @ RCSI or complete my bachelors and then apply for the four year program. Thanks to anyone who can answer!

yeah sorry about that... i thought it was..but for sure they are closing the 6 year programme soon... and if they dont thats ridiculous cause the hospitals will be way over packed.... its way over packed as it is at beaumont currently with rcsi students... i have no clue how they are going to fit the graduate entry students with the current 2nd meds into the same hospitals.. thats will equal to over 350 students at least... maybe more... at beaumont hospital plus the upper years ... ridiculous... soon there will be more students than patients hahahah

I am an RCSI student, 5 year program
well, i was just wondering, is there a JPA ? and if, how is it calculated?

Thanks in advance :)

oh, sorry :oops: >>> typing mistake :p
it is GPA !

No worries! ;)

In simple terms, a grade point average is a calculation of a specific number of subjects taken that Surgeons requires to determine your "academic level".

For example, if Surgeons requires your GPA over a certain period (eg four years of an undergarduate degree) - chances are that there were 5 full year subjects (eg biology, physics, english, etc) per year, then there are a total of 5.0 credits for that year anda total of 20.0 credits for the degree. Your mark per subject (usually in GPA form, percentage, or letter form) has to be calculated according to the school that is assessing. In general, a 4.0 is equal to an A, 3.0 a B, etc.

Hope that helps.

I can't believe that I don't have to go through that stuff anymore - just a few OSCE exams left for me and I'm a fully qualified GP/Family Doc!

But i guess i am lost :S

The problem is, this uni has opened three years ago in Bahrain, so, students there are not aware of the grades's calculating system.... i asked our supervisor he said that uni in Dublin is not using the GPA system, they only provide a full record with ur marks for each subject since the day u start studying there till u graduate, and that they have to make some meetings ( in bahrain ) to decide wheather to do this GPA thing or not, and how to ....
so, we are really lost:S :S

Ah, the Irish don't have a traditional GPA as such. In the GPA system (4.0 system) an A is a 4, a B is a 3, a C is a 2 and a D is a 1 (then worse than that is a fail). so depending on how many classes you take that is calculated into the GPA, a GPA of say...3.75 is a mixture of mainly A's and a few B's or a C or some other combination.

This doesn't really work in the Irish system because they don't use that sort of numerical setpoint. Traditionally, anything above 70% is a I Honours (first class honours), 60-70% is a II.I, 50-60% is II.II, 40-50% is a III, and anything below 40% is a fail. However, in medicine it's different in that I think in most places, the failure percent is 50% not 40%. So in medicine, the system changes to I >70%, II - 60 to 70%, Pass - 50 to 60%, Fail < 50% . It's not wise to think that because they takes Firsts from 70% (versus the 90% usually needed for an "A" grade in the GPA system) that you have it made and they're easy to get. Firsts are fairly difficult to achieve, whereas failing is relatively easy!

I'm wondering if RCSI accepts North American students...I've heard that UCD, Trinity, and UCC are good ones to apply to but I haven't heard much about RCSI. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks

Yes, they do accept American and Canadian students. There are quite a few there.

If I understood correctly, RCSI is a private institution. Is that similar to the American system and therefore ends up being more expensive than Trinity, UCC, and UCD?

Ohh one more thing :)

RCSI is the only school in Ireland that offers a 4 year program...is that correct? If so, what happens if you apply to the 4 year program and not get accepted? Would the application be considered for the 5 year program? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I don't wanna assume anything and then be disappointed :oops:

None of the Irish schools are similar to the American system. RCSI is just way more expensive than the rest because it is. Hehe well, it's private. Whether that's a better thing is debatable. I don't think RCSI has a 4 year program, unless they've changed things recently. As far as I know, they're still 5 yrs. and 6 yrs. I'm not sure about consideration....probably best to ask AB about that. Usually the 5 yr. programs are for people with science degrees already, and the 6 year one for people without science degrees or have not taken all the premed courses necessary. Therefore, I wouldn't think that people who were not accepted for the 5 yr program would be considered for the 6 year one. Again, ask AB.

The four year programme in RCSI is starting this year, they call it the Graduate Entry Programme, it's also starting this year in UCD. And they've still got the 5 yr and 6 yr too.

Yeah there's loads of North Americans in RCSI.

Is there any NA student who got admitted to UCD's GEP prgm?
I e-mailed UCD last year Nov regarding their GEP prgm and I was told the prgm is NOT for Non-Irish/EU? applicant.

Hey, where did you find out about the UCD GEP?? I didn't see it on the ABP website or on the UCD site. Do you have a link you could post? Thank you.

The four year programme in RCSI is starting this year, they call it the Graduate Entry Programme, it's also starting this year in UCD. And they've still got the 5 yr and 6 yr too.

Yeah there's loads of North Americans in RCSI.

Hey, for all the kids entering this year, does anyone know what time we show up to the college on Monday, Oct. 2nd?

Hey, for all the kids entering this year, does anyone know what time we show up to the college on Monday, Oct. 2nd?

Introduction and Orientation to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland - for ALL students.
Venue: O’Flanagan Lecture Theatre

10.00 Welcome address
Professor C. Kelly, Dean of Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Professor M. Guidon, School of Physiotherapy
Professor J. Kelly, School of Pharmacy

10.10 Introduction to Orientation Day
Mr Philip Curtis, Associate Director and Head of Admission & Student Services

10.15 Biomedical science curriculum, mentors, study skills and student support services
Vice Dean of Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences

10.30 Registration, Examinations and Regulations
Mr Fintan Foy, Associate Director for Academic Affairs

10.40 RCSI Library
Ms Beatrice Doran, Librarian

10.50 Computer services, RCSI Virtual Learning Environment and student e-mail accounts
Mr Eric Clarke, Lecturer in Medical Informatics

11.00 Screening and Immunization
Dr Elizabeth Gallagher, Travel Health Centre

11.10 Student Health Services
Dr A. O’Donohoe, Mercer Medical Centre

11.20 Health & Safety at RCSI
Mr David Butler, Health & Safety Officer

11.30 Fitness and Training
Sports Co-ordinator

11.40 Student Union, Clubs and Societies
Ms Claire Danby, President Student Union

12.00 - 13.00 Mentors’ Reception