RCSI Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownie1989

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

I just wanted to know what happens during the RCSI interview? What questions did they ask you and what were your answers? What did you do to prepare etc..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The interview was rather relaxed. If you speak with Peter Nealon from ABP he can also give you a run down. In mine, for the graduate entry program, it was run very informally like a business interview (so I was told afterwards by friends). They only asked a few direct questions but mostly left me with open ended statements. The only structure I noticed was they talked about me first: (my academics/research), then volunteer, and then Ireland/RCSI. They say it's about 30 minutes but It felt even shorter.

The interview opened with : Let's talk about your university and programs (Chemistry/Biology). I waited for them to ask a question but they all just stared at me, I began talking about the size of the department and research opportunities/experiences. This made me really nervous but the atmosphere quickly relaxed and they mostly commented on my application. They then asked how I relaxed outside of the busy schedule. They left open ended subject leads such as: tell us about your volunteer experience.

Their direct questions involved: What are you most proud of? What (of the 5 schools I applied to in Ireland) is my first choice? (they insisted that I not say RCSI to impress them...but RCSI and Trinity were my first choices, so they heard it anyway) Be able to discuss the differences between the schools. Since I have lived and spent alot of time in Ireland since I was young they didn't ask me about what I expected there but instead we chatted about the noticeable changes in the country from the past 15 years. (I commented on the growing diversity and immigration)

Overall, Be relaxed...they cracked a few jokes through the interview and were exceptionally warm. Prepare yourself...I made the mistake of not rereading some of the research I had worked on 5 years ago. When they asked me what the results were I couldn't tell them because the paper was written after I left and I hadn't followed up on it (whoops).
Have a few questions for the end of the interview too...it gave me a chance to talk about other interests and also gave me an idea of the busy schedule ahead.

Goodluck!!!

The interview was rather relaxed. If you speak with Peter Nealon from ABP he can also give you a run down. In mine, for the graduate entry program, it was run very informally like a business interview (so I was told afterwards by friends). They only asked a few direct questions but mostly left me with open ended statements. The only structure I noticed was they talked about me first: (my academics/research), then volunteer, and then Ireland/RCSI. They say it's about 30 minutes but It felt even shorter.

The interview opened with : Let's talk about your university and programs (Chemistry/Biology). I waited for them to ask a question but they all just stared at me, I began talking about the size of the department and research opportunities/experiences. This made me really nervous but the atmosphere quickly relaxed and they mostly commented on my application. They then asked how I relaxed outside of the busy schedule. They left open ended subject leads such as: tell us about your volunteer experience.

Their direct questions involved: What are you most proud of? What (of the 5 schools I applied to in Ireland) is my first choice? (they insisted that I not say RCSI to impress them...but RCSI and Trinity were my first choices, so they heard it anyway) Be able to discuss the differences between the schools. Since I have lived and spent alot of time in Ireland since I was young they didn't ask me about what I expected there but instead we chatted about the noticeable changes in the country from the past 15 years. (I commented on the growing diversity and immigration)

Overall, Be relaxed...they cracked a few jokes through the interview and were exceptionally warm. Prepare yourself...I made the mistake of not rereading some of the research I had worked on 5 years ago. When they asked me what the results were I couldn't tell them because the paper was written after I left and I hadn't followed up on it (whoops).
Have a few questions for the end of the interview too...it gave me a chance to talk about other interests and also gave me an idea of the busy schedule ahead.

Goodluck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Thanks Scanner for all the information.

Can anyone share their experience at a 6year program interview? What did they ask? Since your out of high school you don't really have research experience etc. Sorry I have a interview coming up so I just wanted to know what I should do to be ready...

Thanks!

Hi, Im new to this form. I just found out that I have an interview for RCSI 6 yr program . Does anyone have any idea what the chances are of actually getting accepted after being selected for an interview (10%, 50%, 80%)? Also does anyone know if offers are conditional. I have already graduated from high school. I am just finishing 1st yr university.
Thanks

Hey,
I also really want to know the answer to those questions? Whats the chance of getting in after getting an interview? Is it if you got considered for interview your pretty much in? Thats what I have been reading in all the forums. What do you think??

I am not sure if it is the same for the 6 year program, but at my RCSI interview for the GEP program on March 1st, I was told they accept about half of the people they interview.

Hey,
Anyone else have any input? How did your interview go? What questions did you ask them? What questions did they ask you? Is it a straight forward interview? Also what were your answers to their questions?

Please reply!!!!
Thanks

hey i had an interview at the beginning of march for RCSI, i got accepted and i just accepted the offer.

My interview was very relaxed which surprised me. I went a few months before that for a lifeguarding interview and in my opinion that was more hard core like they were trying to make you fail. At the interview there were two Irish profs. They were both very nice. They just pretty much asked you about your application the essay you wrote and your resume. They just want to make sure you are good for there program and of course that you can afford it. The only question that stumped me was they asked me who my role model is in the media so be prepared for that. When they told you to study the program just know that if you are in the six year program that you start in the foundation year then junior etc. that is what they asked me and they asked me what i knew about dublin and i said that its the capital of Ireland. The interview from what i heard is 50% of your decision.

Good luck and don't be nervous.

hey i had an interview back in early march for the 4 yr program. since then i've accepted the offer of admission and will be attending rcsi come september. i've already posted the details of my interview in another thread but in case they were missed here they are again.

During my interview there were 3 interviewers a Prof, an alumnus and someone from administration. They took turns questioning me and it seemed that some of the questions were kind of repetitive. They asked me a lot about why Ireland, how i found out about it? why their school? where else I had applied? what I would do if I got in to multiple Irish schools/Canadian schools? what I could contribute to the class/school? why medicine? what i did for fun/to relax? they asked me which aspect of my resume i was most proud of and commented and asked questions about some other aspects of it. they asked me about my major, why I chose it, would I choose it again if i could go back? they had a few questions about specific courses i took, which were most challenging, etc. The Prof who was head of the GEP asked me about my Genetics course and then asked me to name the most common genetic diseases in Canada. I totally flaked and said I didn't know, at the time I couldn't name a single one, ugh, but I guess it didn't matter too much. i also was asked about how i handle stress, how important is it for doctor's to be well-rounded and then they gave me the opportunity to ask them some questions. They didn't ask me any questions on financing which was a surprise since I read that it is usually a focus. Hope that was helpful.

Hey!
Just a few more questions ...srry my interview is in 2 weeks:p
But..

1) How many people got interviewed for the 6 year program this year? where you accepted or rejected?

2) What did you bring with you to the interview?

3) Any other tips? I really really want to get accepted after my interview!!!

is this in toronto on the 26?
cuz i got one at the sharaton

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm currently in the GEP at RCSI. I'd echo the description of the interviews above. The most important thing is to RELAX. The post-interview selection is done very carefully to try to get people who will fit in Ireland and at RCSI. lf my class is any example, they look for socially adjusted people above all else.

Oh, and feel free to PM me for info about the programme.

hay programmes?
when they said you should know stuff about the school
what is the specifics

1. Have an answer ready for how you are going to finance your education.

2. They want to make sure you can speak english and are personable.

has anyone heard anything about any upcoming may/june RCSI interviews?

I've accepted the fact that if at this point I haven't heard anything from UCD or Trinity, I probably won't for another while...
but I've still haven't heard anything from RCSI and I am wondering if they have any more interviews scheduled?....

Just wonderingg.. i ALSO had an interview at the sheraon on the 26th of April, but I havent heard anything since, Have any of you?

lfindlay i hv my interview at the 22nd of june it got postponed cuz of the ib exams

hey im thinkin of applying to rcsi for year 09/10 and just wondering if irish students for the 5yr programme have to do an interview with the new system? thanx

I am not sure if it is the same for the 6 year program, but at my RCSI interview for the GEP program on March 1st, I was told they accept about half of the people they interview.

hey guys,
so i had my interview for the 6 year medical program at RCSI in 2012 for the october 2012 entrance and i got in.
the interview was very calm, relaxed, like a conversation.
They said 1/6 get an interview, and 1/2 pass the interview (I asked the guy)
They asked a bunch of questions, regarding medical experience, school, and basic stuff

Others included:

What do you do to cope with stress?
Can you teach empathy?
Can you teach communication?
What do your parents do (to see if you can pay tuition fees)?

I brought a binder with me, which included everywhere else i got accepted, current marks, all my references, and some extra curricular certificates I had.

also, they stress A LOT on medical experience, so make sure you have some

hope this helps :)

does anyone know if being offered an interview at one school reduces your chances of getting a second round interview or acceptance at another school? (ie. RCSI)