RCSI Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toescrossed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey to those of you who went to the RCSI interview in NYC today, can you please fill me in on how it went? like the interviewers, etc?

I was supposed to be there, but due to all of the snow I can't get a flight into NYC, so I'm left doing an interview over the phone tomorrow morning. I feel like this will detract from the experience a bit and I am just wondering if anyone could give me a first hand account?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi toes,

Did you call in to Mr. Peter Nealon to cancel? How did you end up getting a telephone interview?

yup, I called the ABP in California, and sent an email - they then replied to my email and said they would call me this morning, and they did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was frantic that I was the only individual who wouldn't have made it to the interview but I was wrong. I would have liked to see NY but I saved myself a few hundred dollars.

Hey guys,
I was one of the lucky ones that made it in to NY. My interview went ok, I'm not sure if they liked everything I said. Still, I did some fantastic sight-seeing in Manhattan- the food is phenomenal. How did the phone interview go?

Well, that's good I'm glad you were able to spend some time experiencing Manhattan! Very fun!

The phone interview could have gone better. It was a bit difficult to get in the right mindset considering that I was at home, in comfortable clothes, etc. My interviewers were very nice and tried their best to be accommodating, but since there were two of them the phone situation complicated things. I feel like I asked a few too many questions - okay way too many questions...

Were you able to meet other applicants in NYC? What were they like?

I thought that the phone interview was succinct, nice, and sweet. All of the expected questions were asked and they were all relevant (why be doc? how to pay? what do you think of the school? etc.). I guess I'm basing my answer on the fact that I've been through several interviews in the US and there are moments where you may feel like you are in hell. One of my interviews lasted 1.5 hours (this was with an elderly female British neurosurgeon) and that still gives me nightmares.

I have to say that the professor who interviewed me was one of the nicest people I have ever encountered. He mentioned his name but he spoke so fast with the Irish accent I missed it and I was too scared to ask. He was really nice though, hes not the kind of interviewer who would push you if you don't know the answer or if he doesn't hear something he doesn't like. There is Dr. Johnson, do you know who the second professor is?

@postmodoc
Ah, you shouldn't worry about them not liking what you said, its better being honest than lying because these interviewers will know when you are BSing them...I think you get a sense if you've interviewed over 1000 people.

How many people were interviewed on your day? It looks like they interviewed people in NY for two days, in Toronto, and Vancouver at least.