RCSI or UCD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious&confused

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I knows many have been asking this question. But I recently just got an offer for an option of either one of these universities. So I'm rather undecided and really unsure of which to go for. So, any suggestions on which would be the better choice? And also, does anyone know whether the course is integrated, etc.? Would really appreciate a response! Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

So I knows many have been asking this question. But I recently just got an offer for an option of either one of these universities. So I'm rather undecided and really unsure of which to go for. So, any suggestions on which would be the better choice? And also, does anyone know whether the course is integrated, etc.? Would really appreciate a response! Thank you! :D

Personally i would choose UCD. I've heard that RCSI facilities aren't the greatest and their tuition fees are sky high. Matching wise there really isn't any difference, so for me personally UCD would win due to tuition.

Unfortunately I can't help you about the course content.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I attend UCD in the GEM programme and I recommend it to applicants on the fence.

I don't know much about RCSI (except that they take exams after Christmas break) so I can't really comment on their programme.

At UCD the majority of professors are good at their jobs and are approachable. There are only one or two horrendous ones that come to mind and they have a very small role in your education, which is a good thing. The programme has a fair structure and grading scheme (for the most part).

All of the facilities that you will you use as a medical student were built within the last 10 years (the lecture halls, the library, and the anatomy lab).

UCD has longer holidays than RCSI (winter and summer) as they follow the university's academic timetable which is good if you want to complete electives abroad, study for the USMLE, etc and UCD finishes their exams before going on Christmas break. Some students got 5 weeks off at Christmas, others got 4 (depending on which option they selected).

UCD costs less than RCSI for Irish students and international students.

Our first two years are almost entirely conducted at the Belfield Campus (in Dublin) with the exception of GP placements. The last two years we are split between St Vincent's and The Mater (both in Dublin). I'm not really sure where RCSI students go for their rotations as I think St James's is Trinity's Hospital. Maybe an RCSI student can shed some light on that.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I attend UCD in the GEM programme and I recommend it to applicants on the fence.

I don't know much about RCSI (except that they take exams after Christmas break) so I can't really comment on their programme.

At UCD the majority of professors are good at their jobs and are approachable. There are only one or two horrendous ones that come to mind and they have a very small role in your education, which is a good thing. The programme has a fair structure and grading scheme (for the most part).

All of the facilities that you will you use as a medical student were built within the last 10 years (the lecture halls, the library, and the anatomy lab).

UCD has longer holidays than RCSI (winter and summer) as they follow the university's academic timetable which is good if you want to complete electives abroad, study for the USMLE, etc and UCD finishes their exams before going on Christmas break. Some students got 5 weeks off at Christmas, others got 4 (depending on which option they selected).

Our first two years are almost entirely conducted at the Belfield Campus (in Dublin) with the exception of GP placements. The last two years we are split between St Vincent's and The Mater (both in Dublin). I'm not really sure where RCSI students go for their rotations as I think St James's is Trinity's Hospital. Maybe an RCSI student can shed some light on that.

Wow thank you for this detailed response. People have been telling me that both offers the same thing academically, meaning that both are at par with one another in terms of facilities and such. So it seems ridiculous to be paying such a large amount for RCSI when you can go to UCD for much less. And so, fortunately I've made a choice and I've chosen UCD. I'm looking forward to UCD very much and can't wait to start! Thank you so much for your help. :D

People have been telling me that both offers the same thing academically, meaning that both are at par with one another in terms of facilities and such. So it seems ridiculous to be paying such a large amount for RCSI when you can go to UCD for much less. And so, fortunately I've made a choice and I've chosen UCD. I'm looking forward to UCD very much and can't wait to start! Thank you so much for your help. :D

Reactions: 1 user

So do mind sharing how you were already offered acceptance at RCSI and UCD so early in the admissions process..?

People have been telling me that both offers the same thing academically, meaning that both are at par with one another in terms of facilities and such. So it seems ridiculous to be paying such a large amount for RCSI when you can go to UCD for much less. And so, fortunately I've made a choice and I've chosen UCD. I'm looking forward to UCD very much and can't wait to start! Thank you so much for your help. :D

I would like to know the same thing as Dejay.

Hey guys, I'm a resident in the states and recent UCD alum. UCD's rep is definitely much better in Ireland as you get to do your rotations at the top 2 most reputable hospitals in Ireland (Mater and Vincents). HOWEVER, if residency in North America is your goal, RCSI is the way to go. They have way more connections to do elective rotations at great hospitals in the states (pretty key), I believe u can do sub-internships in North America, and most program directors in north America are most familiar with RCSI (at a number of my interviews I was asked if I was from RCSI).

Hey,

I recently took a tour of UCD medical school and RCSI and I would go with UCD.

There facilities are excellent,much better than RCSI by a mile.

UCD's facilities are amazing. The labs are huge,the clinical skills rooms are excellent and they have a 3d printer which they print parts of the body for training purposes.

UCD all the way!