RCSI Tuition Fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HouseLan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Recently I was accepted into the 6 year undergraduate medicine entry program at RCSI.
My main question is how people are justifying/managing the cost associated with the program. After doing some conversions and accounting for as many costs as possible my total came out to be almost $90,000 CAD. This is a ridiculous amount even considering that my parents were granted a loan from CIBC (270k, with up to 70k accessible per annum). Am i missing something or are the costs actually this high?

Members don't see this ad.

It really is that high.

To be fair, whether it's $83,000 (UCD etc) or $90,000, it's still a lot of money, so I would suggest not really letting price weigh too much on your decision, a few extra grand when you're already paying so much is just a drop in the bucket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Limerick fees were $49k when I accepted ;) Yay to weak Euro in 2013!

The Euro then got stronger, so I paid $59k this year.

That's another thing to consider, your Euro fees are steady, but the exchange rates will vary over the course of your schooling. Remember to factor that in.

Limerick fees were $49k when I accepted ;) Yay to weak Euro in 2013!

The Euro then got stronger, so I paid $59k this year.

That's another thing to consider, your Euro fees are steady, but the exchange rates will vary over the course of your schooling. Remember to factor that in.
I think you missed that HouseLan included ALL costs, not just tuition. In this case, Limerick would cost $76,000 based on the ancillary fees they included. On straight tuition, when converted to CAD, RCSI is $67000 and Limerick is $53,000

Ah my bad. Sorry! Though the tuition thing still stands - the euro changes and you could be looking at a +/- $10k price difference each year (and at times of the year if you do installments)

Anecdotally, I managed to do 1st year on $70k (I keep track of every single purchase to show to my financial advisor for fund release each year), and that included a week long trip to Jordan and about 4 mini flight weekend trips during the year.

2nd year has been a bit more expensive with exam fees and registration fees and such, and I bought a car and still did a trip to Cambodia, but I'll likely round off the year with $85k.

You can do it cheaper if you cut out the big trips (which are important to my personal sanity, might not be for others), and not buy a car of course. My trip spending for 3rd and 4th year will drop of course, and funnel it into more exam fees and elective flight costs :)

Sorry, off topic from RSCI! But yes, cost for RSCI will be the most expensive!

...yeah so my parents are saying its not really practical to put myself in $6x90,000, right out of highschool, if i still have a shot at pursuing medicine after a bachelors degree here in Canada. I see where they are coming from on this, and although i'm kinda disappointed on the inside, it is what it is.

As an old person here, I would say get your first degree. Then see what you want to do.

I thought I wanted medicine at 17 years old. But, I went through engineering. I ended up liking it, still thought about medicine, but was good with eng. Decided not to apply to medicine. Worked for a while, market crashed and I was stuck in the job ... but my life was awesome. Explored medicine again a few years later and realized I actually really wanted it. Like way more than I did at 17, nearly 10 years earlier. And I was actually ready to work hard at it.

If things go pear-shaped, I still have the first degree and work experience (plus I'm able to pay my own interest payments / secure the LOC on my own, equalling less debt later).

It's okay to be disappointed but I think in the long run, you'll be happier for it. Medicine isn't going anywhere :) You'll still have that option in a few years!

...yeah so my parents are saying its not really practical to put myself in $6x90,000, right out of highschool, if i still have a shot at pursuing medicine after a bachelors degree here in Canada. I see where they are coming from on this, and although i'm kinda disappointed on the inside, it is what it is.

Your parents are right. Try in Canada first. And then try USA - it is easier to get back to Canada or get residency near Canada.
Ireland should be your last resort.

Your parents are right, as someone who did go abroad after high school into a 6 year program, I recommend staying in Canada, you might surprise yourself at how well you do in undergrad. Good luck.