RCSI vs. Liverpool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Which medical school is better in terms of education quality and in terms of reputation, RCSI in Ireland or Uni of Liverpool?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m really interested in this topic too, if anyone has any insight that would be really appreciated!

Direct comparisons are going to be tough. There isn't a huge population who'd have exposure to both schools.

Additionally, it is very hard to do medical school rankings in Ireland/UK simply because the post-graduate training system is more prolonged and the medical community is much smaller. If you're a crap doctor here its rarely ever attributed to the medical school (people are much more inclined to simply think you're an idiot). In terms of domestic post-graduate training in Ireland, all the EU schools are considered equal, all that matters is your class rank.

In terms of reputation in North America, both might be better known at a specific Residency program but other than that I've never heard one over the other.

Its kind of like asking an American to say if McGill or UofToronto has a stronger program. They probably won't know and likely won't care.

For what its worth I've really enjoyed RCSI; I've a friend in Liverpool who likes it there. I'd make your decision based on where you'd rather be.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Direct comparisons are going to be tough. There isn't a huge population who'd have exposure to both schools.

Additionally, it is very hard to do medical school rankings in Ireland/UK simply because the post-graduate training system is more prolonged and the medical community is much smaller. If you're a crap doctor here its rarely ever attributed to the medical school (people are much more inclined to simply think you're an idiot). In terms of domestic post-graduate training in Ireland, all the EU schools are considered equal, all that matters is your class rank.

In terms of reputation in North America, both might be better known at a specific Residency program but other than that I've never heard one over the other.

Its kind of like asking an American to say if McGill or UofToronto has a stronger program. They probably won't know and likely won't care.

For what its worth I've really enjoyed RCSI; I've a friend in Liverpool who likes it there. I'd make your decision based on where you'd rather be.

Yeah I know,but is returning to Canada a bit easier from RCSI

The education will be of the same quality, the curriculum is different. RCSI if you are straight from high school will be 1 year longer. RCSI is more expensive. RCSI seems to have slightly better connections in Canada/US for elective purposes. There will be more Canadians at RCSI vs Liverpool. You'll always have a few Canadian friends if you go to Liverpool but not as many as at RCSI. For any football fans Liverpool does somewhat bank on its reputation for music as well as Liverpool FC. RCSI would be well known among medical residency directors based on previous applications. You would definitely have better recognition of Liverpool among average people. Liverpool allows you to stay in the UK after graduation to practice.

If given the option i would choose Liverpool because

1. cost
2. 5 years vs 6 years
3. you have a backup

Reactions: 1 user
If it were me I would opt for the 5 year program, over the 6. But that's a matter of preference. I'd rather have one less year of tuition and living expenses.

Liverpool will still give you a quality education as will RCSI.

I used to live in the UK, and I visited a lot places there, albeit never Liverpool, but I've yet to come across a British city that I disliked, although Manchester came close.

I'd say pick the school that is in the location you want to live in most. Both programs will be of high quality, both will make you a doctor, which is the important thing.

Whoah I just checked Atlantic Bridge. RCSI charges €48,000 (approx $62,000) PER YEAR even for the SIX year program! That's outrageous. That extra year at RCSI is going to cost you about $85,000 once you factor in travel, and living expenses, and you're looking at AT LEAST $400,000 going that route.

I'd venture Liverpool has a lower cost of living than Dublin and their medicine tuition is £23,000 ($35,650) per year... That's roughly HALF the price of RCSI. You'd be half mad to pay double price, and stay an extra year, unless your parents are Bill and Melinda Gates!

If it were me I would opt for the 5 year program, over the 6. But that's a matter of preference. I'd rather have one less year of tuition and living expenses.

Liverpool will still give you a quality education as will RCSI.

I used to live in the UK, and I visited a lot places there, albeit never Liverpool, but I've yet to come across a British city that I disliked, although Manchester came close.

I'd say pick the school that is in the location you want to live in most. Both programs will be of high quality, both will make you a doctor, which is the important thing.

Whoah I just checked Atlantic Bridge. RCSI charges €48,000 (approx $62,000) PER YEAR even for the SIX year program! That's outrageous. That extra year at RCSI is going to cost you about $85,000 once you factor in travel, and living expenses, and you're looking at AT LEAST $400,000 going that route.

I'd venture Liverpool has a lower cost of living than Dublin and their medicine tuition is £23,000 ($35,650) per year... That's roughly HALF the price of RCSI. You'd be half mad to pay double price, and stay an extra year, unless your parents are Bill and Melinda Gates!

I agree with this so much. I don't like RCSI's outrageous tuition for its 6 year program, considering they spend the 1st year teaching you basic sciences you could learn at any Canadian or US university. If you also factor in the lost income as a physician and assume $200,000 we are talking $285,000 (extra tuition + opportunity cost for 6th year) + 131750 (this is for the extra tuition for 5 years) = $416750.

It costs you basically half a million more to go to RCSI over Liverpool once you factor in opportunity costs as well. You could buy a home with that money and this is not Harvard vs normal school, these are two normal schools with very little between them.

And if you think that oh because you pay more you get more, thats not true. RCSI uses that money to subsidize other students and likely on their own salaries. Its more like a forced donation. For the same education RCSI manages to charge way above UCD, NUIG (the other 2 6 year counterparts) and every UK medical school

Last edited:
I agree with this so much. I don't like RCSI's outrageous tuition for its 6 year program, considering they spend the 1st year teaching you basic sciences you could learn at any Canadian or US university. If you also factor in the lost income as a physician and assume $200,000 we are talking $285,000 (extra tuition + opportunity cost for 6th year) + 131750 (this is for the extra tuition for 5 years) = $416750.

It costs you basically half a million more to go to RCSI over Liverpool once you factor in opportunity costs as well. You could buy a home with that money and this is not Harvard vs normal school, these are two normal schools with very little between them.

And if you think that oh because you pay more you get more, thats not true. RCSI uses that money to subsidize other students and likely on their own salaries. Its more like a forced donation. For the same education RCSI manages to charge way above UCD, NUIG (the other 2 6 year counterparts) and every UK medical school

Not to keep echoing medstart but lets say RCSI is slightly better, there is no way it's $190,000 better, and that's just the tuition differential.

If you want to be a surgeon don't go to Liverpool. It has the worst reputation in the UK for anatomy. Fine you can learn it on your own but curriculum should be a consideration.

If liverpool is the only UK school you've been accepted to and you want to be a surgeon don't let that stop you though. You will probably have more work to do post-grad but i'm sure there are surgeons trained in Liverpool.

Its true though that different schools have different strengths and weaknesses in the UK. St Andrews for example is very strong on anatomy, we cover every part of the body, i've heard some schools make you choose between upper and lower limbs. Sounds completely foreign to us.

However, we are weak in pathology, after 1st year I can barely diagnose more than 5 or 6 diseases we barely learn it.

If liverpool is the only UK school you've been accepted to and you want to be a surgeon don't let that stop you though. You will probably have more work to do post-grad but i'm sure there are surgeons trained in Liverpool.

Its true though that different schools have different strengths and weaknesses in the UK. St Andrews for example is very strong on anatomy, we cover every part of the body, i've heard some schools make you choose between upper and lower limbs. Sounds completely foreign to us.

However, we are weak in pathology, after 1st year I can barely diagnose more than 5 or 6 diseases we barely learn it.

Anatomy alone isn't a reason not to go to one school, the point really being that curriculum should be a factor.

You think you are weak in pathology? You have NO IDEA how well St Andrews is preparing you compared to many other schools. A traditional curriculum may be less fun but it will make the rest of your career a lot easier.

Wow thats good to hear thanks. Although yeah pathology its a general consensus that thats our weakspot but it will probably get patched up when we move on to clinical years.