rcsi vs. trinity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm a little reluctant to pay the rcsi deposit without hearing from trinity or knowing the details of the school

does anyone know the differences in the schools in terms of :
- USMLE prep (i believe RCSI gears more towards this?)
- housing
- success of graduates in terms of gaining residency back in north america
- atmosphere/campus
- general reputation?
- happiness of students?

what i've read on these boards concerning RCSI isn't too appealing; generally, doesn't seem like you are getting your money's worth. the only thing attracting me to RCSI over Trinity right now is the 4 year program. however, i'm not sure what Trinity's fees would be for me, as a canadian. i think its about or less than 30,000? is this correct?

any of your comments or opinions would be appreciated. this is all very confusing/tough having never been to ireland myself, and not knowing anyone personally in the programs. i don't want to have any regrets.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll share with you what I know, which admittedly is not sufficient.

USMLE prep - Trinity give no time to prep for this, although i've come to understand that students still find the time to study for it. RCSI on the other hand give time/allowances for USMLE studying.

Housing - Not quite sure what the housing system is with RCSI, but Trinity have got very nice new halls (around 2.5 miles from the campus). Both unis are in the city centre, so accomodation close to either campus might prove costly.

Matching success - I'm not too sure about the statistics.. can't help you much there.

Atmosphere/campus - Trinity is by far the bigger campus (And its gorgeous!). It all depends on what you're looking for. RCSI is much smaller and with only health-related courses.. so all students there are in the health field. Trinity on the other hand is quite a large university with a variety of courses and many more students. Also, Trinity has A LOT of clubs/societies that you can join. Thats not to say RCSI is boring, i'm sure it has its socieities and clubs.. I just think that probably due to Trinity's size, it has more of the like. And oh, RCSI is very international.. you'll find more Irish in Trinity than in RCSI.

General reputation - Both share a very good reputation internationally. However, some argue that Trinity has a greater international reputation, but I can't personally justify that.

Happiness of students - Well, uni life is what YOU make it! You'll have a good time wherever you go I believe. I've heard people complain about the rather frustrating RCSI students who don't do crap all year..and manage to pass. Then again, i've heard of Trinity students being stuck up and whatnot. As i said, thats all hearsay, so I don't think you should go with student happiness as a factor.

Personally, I'd go for Trinity (a plus for me is that its cheaper!).. so my points of view can be slightly biased!;)

hmm yea...if trinity was 4 years, it would be a no brainer for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE prep - Trinity give no time to prep for this, although i've come to understand that students still find the time to study for it. RCSI on the other hand give time/allowances for USMLE studying.
Non of the Irish schools give time for USMLE studying... but you can write the USMLE's whenever you want. Most people do it after third year (in the 5 year programs). Depending on what your plans for the summer are (elective, research, working, doing nothing) you can study as much as you want. I'm studying for a couple months for the USMLE. Our exams are over this year in middle May and then I'm scheduled to write the exam at the start of August.

does anyone have any quantitative data on how trinity vs. rcsi students fair on the uslme? or in finding competitive residences in canada? or us?

its a shame these things aren't accurately publicized.

ultimately my goal is to come back to N.A. i'm just basically trying to debate which school will help me, trinity or rcsi. because rcsi has more NA students, maybe the education will be more catered to this goal?

but at the same, i'm not sure if 4-less happy years are worth potentially 5 happy ones at trinity. :scared:

For all intents and purposes as a NA prospectant grad - going to an Irish school is like going to any other Irish school. What you'll realize if anything is if most people ask where you went when back home, it will be because they "know someone" who went there or is going there for their education and that is it.

That is my experience getting back here into Canada and likewise from what I have heard from classmates who have successfully entered residency programs in the US... the usual remark - "cool, you went to Ireland" and not "cool, you went to X school in Ireland".

Thus for the purposes of NA residencies:
Surgeons=UCD=Trinity=UCC=UCG

If you were to choose, choose on the basis of such things as finances, and the type of experience you will get out of it.

For all intents and purposes as a NA prospectant grad - going to an Irish school is like going to any other Irish school. What you'll realize if anything is if most people ask where you went when back home, it will be because they "know someone" who went there or is going there for their education and that is it.

That is my experience getting back here into Canada and likewise from what I have heard from classmates who have successfully entered residency programs in the US... the usual remark - "cool, you went to Ireland" and not "cool, you went to X school in Ireland".

Thus for the purposes of NA residencies:
Surgeons=UCD=Trinity=UCC=UCG

If you were to choose, choose on the basis of such things as finances, and the type of experience you will get out of it.

A question to help me clarify my understanding of attending school in Ireland:

From all of my readings, it seems as if the only (at least for me) concerns I have in attending school in Ireland are the following:

1) the cost tends to be prohibitive or at least difficult to manage without considerable assistance,

2) more importantly the lack of residency matches in the specialties like ortho, neuro, etc.

My question is this:

Is the matching not completely dependent upon personal performance while attending school wherever you are (excellent USMLE scores) and contacts that you have or have not made while doing elective rotations?

I would think that by applying oneself fully to their own success, one could eventually find a residence match that suits their needs and the needs of the hospital. I personally know of a new grad from a foreign school that was accepted in Canada at Mac for ortho in the first match, which is something newly implemented this year. So why could one not expect similar results, if they put in the hard work and dedication? I can understand that being an FMG or IMG might put someone at a relative disadvantage to someone who graduated from their own country, but I am aware that things are becoming easier or more equal in terms of FMG's. Does anyone have any more info that could either confirm my thoughts or suggest a more accurate representation of what is really going on?

Thanks

Is there any current or past Trinity students out who i might be fortunate to talk with about the college? I just got accepted and have some questions

Is there any current or past Trinity students out who i might be fortunate to talk with about the college? I just got accepted and have some questions

I am a Trinity student.

Sportsguy, regarding specialties - there's a simple reason why no one gets like...ortho or neuro. No one really applies for those specialties. If you really want ortho, I would really not recommend being an FMG. ortho is one of the most competitive residencies in the US and maybe has like a 2% FMG match rate. One of the candians who was interested in neurology matched into peds neurology this year. Other that that, not really sure I've met others at my school interested in neurology. Matching is dependent on the factors you have mentioned - I'm not sure what else they would go on unless there is some kind of nepotism going on (which shouldn't happen, but probably does at some places and circumstances). The latter point would be very uncommon.