RD thinking of going MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDgoingMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Registered Dietitian with 5 years of experiance working in the field. My husband, and many other friends/co-workers are always commenting on how much knowledge I have outside of Nutrition. As a bet I had with my husband I took a practice MCAT, without studying and scored in the mid 80%. (I know MCAT is not scored on %'s).

Now I have a true delima. I love what I do, love the connection that I have with the patients, however MD's don't truely understand the level of knowlege that an RD has, therefore when we make recommendations it is usually bypassed due to it not being from one of the "Gods" meaning MD's.

As a non-MD practitioner has anyone every worked with an RD-MD. What was your exeriance. Did you find that they provided better patient care because of their ability to connect with the patient or did they have the "I'm god" mentality?

Let me know your view of this pathway, and how it benefited or did not benefit the patient.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can necessarily generalize all MDs as having the "I'm god" menality, as you call it. You run into excellent and poor practitioners in every profession. I'm sure there are RDs that don't know jack and I'm sure there are RDs that are extremely knowledgeable. People typically fall somewhere in the spectrum between excellent and poor.

Regardless, I still don't understand what your "dilemma" is after reading your post. Are you afraid you'll become a physician that will have the "I'm god" mentality? Because if that's your concern, then my guess is that you probably will from the sounds of your post - friends/co-workers always commenting how much knowledge you have outside of nutrition....i scored in the mid 80% (whatever that means) on MCAT without studying...yada yada.

If you want to become a physician, then do it because you want to. Don't do it because your husband and many co-workers want you to.

I don't think you can necessarily generalize all MDs as having the "I'm god" menality, as you call it. You run into excellent and poor practitioners in every profession. I'm sure there are RDs that don't know jack and I'm sure there are RDs that are extremely knowledgeable. People typically fall somewhere in the spectrum between excellent and poor.

Regardless, I still don't understand what your "dilemma" is after reading your post. Are you afraid you'll become a physician that will have the "I'm god" mentality? Because if that's your concern, then my guess is that you probably will from the sounds of your post - friends/co-workers always commenting how much knowledge you have outside of nutrition....i scored in the mid 80% (whatever that means) on MCAT without studying...yada yada.

If you want to become a physician, then do it because you want to. Don't do it because your husband and many co-workers want you to.

I agree!