Re: Accruing hours on a limited permit and Job Title in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasteurizedsyrup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm going to be applying for my limited permit for an upcoming job (yay?), and I want to double check everything. With that said, does the job title matter with respect to whether the hours are considered valid by the Licensing board? For example, if the job title does not include psychologist, or psychological, or psychology, but words like clinician or clinical instead, would it void the hours accrued while on a limited permit in NY?

Based on my read of what's available on NY's psychology licensure website regarding experience requirements:

B. Setting (an acceptable setting must):
  • provide a title for you that conforms to the requirements in Section 7605 of NYS Education Law that clearly designates your training status such as, "psychological intern or psychological trainee," or as "psychologist" if you hold a limited permit;
  • provide a title that meets the conditions of Section 17-A of Chapter 676 of the Laws of 2002 when you provide services in a program authorized under that section, which does not include the word "psychology, psychological, or psychologist", and
It seems that the word psychologist should at least be included as part of the job title for the post doc hours to count, and if it isn't, it needs to under some sort of authorized program. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I'm posting here to consult with others who may have knowledge to this question because I've contacted the Licensing board two times now, and the first person told me it did not matter, whereas the second person told me it did matter (second person also shared that she has seen instances where people submitting their hours did not get it approved because it did not have the right title). Understandably, I'm confused. I've asked for their supervisor to contact me back over the next few days to re-confirm yet again. It would be terrible if after a year of work, I find that my hours are denied because the title was wrong.

I'd appreciate any of your input on the matter, and thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Board of education?

Shouldn't this be something for the APA or your state licensing board?